PDA

View Full Version : Monster Advice: Monster hindered by PCs being silenced?

Sbodd
2008-07-27, 03:30 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum, but....

I'm designing a one-shot module for my gaming group, and would like to include a monster that would be somehow hindered by all of my PC's being silenced. The only idea I've come up with so far is basically a monstrous mole - something with tremorsense, but that's blind; a group of silenced PCs would (under my logic, anyway) be effectively invisible to tremorsense, so this would basically leave them invisible to this beastie.

So, a two-part question:
Are there any published critters like that (inherently blind, but with tremorsense or some other passive sound-based vision replacement)? All I've got handy is the PHB/DMG/MM1, but I can borrow a fairly broad set of books to look other things up. I've got a (large) party that's levels 6-8, so anything with a CR up to 10 would be fair game.

Alternatively, does anyone have some other suggestions for a monster that would be somehow hampered by its enemies being silenced?

Thanks in advance!

DracoDei
2008-07-27, 03:42 PM
Anything with sonic (not necessarily damaging, Siren Song is Sonic) attacks as a major strategy.
I THINK tremorsense gets around Silence, echolocation on the other hand, does not.
I assume by your mention of MM1 that you are playing 3.5 or 3.0 edition?
If so I recommend the Destrachan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/destrachan.htm) as something that would be almost completely shut down by that spell. You might need a pair of them, or one with advanced HD to get up to CR 10.

Sbodd
2008-07-27, 03:52 PM
Hmm...I should've been more clear. My PC's aren't explicitly silenced - they are completely unable to produce sound (speak, footsteps, etc.), but they can still hear normally, so sonic attacks, etc still work.

A touch of searching has led me to note that I completely failed to check creatures with blindsight - grimlocks with class levels, assassin vines, oozes, and destrachans all seem like decent candidates (though I'd be open to other suggestions as well!)

arguskos
2008-07-27, 04:06 PM
Tremorsense wouldn't be negated by the PC's being unable to make sound. Their footsteps produce vibrations in the earth that other critters pick up on.

As for monsters that would be hampered by creatures that are totally silent... uh... anything blind that uses blindsense is screwed, so, oozes? Certain constructs maybe? I don't think very much is going to be hampered by the party not making noise to be honest.

-argus

DracoDei
2008-07-27, 04:17 PM
I thought Oozes used a combination of factors? Certainly the use of gelatenous cubes as "cleaners" implies they can locate concentration of fungi or dead bodies perfectly well...

arguskos
2008-07-27, 04:43 PM
I know that certain oozes at least are completely crippled if you negate their blindsense. Arcane oozes mention it in their description (ie. if you attack from outside blindsense range, they just flee, implying they can't smell you or anything). I think this would have to be handled on a monster-to-monster basis though, to be fair.

-argus

DracoDei
2008-07-27, 06:18 PM
My point was that Blindsense is MORE than hearing based for oozes... for bats and etc? Completely hearing (with active chirps) based, for Oozes? Not really.

arguskos
2008-07-27, 10:21 PM
Twas a thought. I don't really know any monsters that use ONLY tremor/blindsense then. :smallconfused:

-argus

Sbodd
2008-07-28, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the advice! I think I'm covered with the blindsense beasties - I don't need all that much, just a couple, and the grimlocks and oozes should provide sufficient variety.