PDA

View Full Version : What would you play if you rolled all 18s?

Arros Winhadren
2008-07-28, 01:10 AM
No real reason for this thread beyond curiosity. If you rolled all 18s for your abilities, what class would you play?

I think I'd go bard. Throw bardic knack in there, and suddenly you have the epitome of the bard. Someone who can do anything, only this bard can do it really well.

Tengu_temp
2008-07-28, 01:13 AM
Crusader or Swordsage. I'd take Vow of Nonviolence and be Vash with a sword.

turkishproverb
2008-07-28, 01:20 AM
A Monk. and take a crapload of Vow's.

thegurullamen
2008-07-28, 01:22 AM
I'd play a gish: warblade/wizard with a focus on divination and Xanatos Gambits (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit). After my intricate planning stage, it's just a matter of NOT using any of my spells or maneuvers while proceeding to pwn everything and anything stupid enough to get in my way (read: do anything more intrinsically notable than [and including] looking at me in a weird way) just to show how much of a badass I really am.

Or, a petrifying bard/warlock.

Tallis
2008-07-28, 01:23 AM
Definitely Monk. It's hard to roll a decent monk.

Jayngfet
2008-07-28, 01:23 AM
Bard, they're my favorite class and unless I got a bunch of low but legal rolls, then I go Druid.

SoD
2008-07-28, 01:25 AM
Commoner. Just for the hell of it. "I am Uber-Com!"

But seriously? I'd go a Thri-keen barbarian who quad-weilds two-bladed swords.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-28, 01:28 AM
What is a petrifying bard/warlock, thegurullamen? I think I'd pick either Druid or Cleric because they tend to benefit most from having high scores for all stats and I like Divine casters. (I prefer Shapeshifter Druids to normal ones, so I need my physical stats to be good.)

turkishproverb
2008-07-28, 01:28 AM
Definitely Monk. It's hard to roll a decent monk.

I picked the same. Although to be honest, I guarantee I'd either multiclass or PC at least once (to avoid monk 20)

Chronicled
2008-07-28, 01:30 AM
I also would probably go bard. Maybe the Dragonfire Inspiration Bard/Crusader or Bard/Warblade with Song of the White Raven.

Talic
2008-07-28, 01:34 AM
Paladin.

He can hit, dodge, has good HP, save bonuses from stats at level 2 of +8, will get bonus spells at all levels, has a decent skill list to use that int, can lay on hands for a lot, and will get a lot of turns to fuel the divine feats.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-07-28, 01:39 AM
Artificer. I have the ability scores to be fully efficient in my main role and also good in melee if need be, or if I just feel like it? And I can make all of my own neato-keen toys, including weapons I'll actually be dangerous with?

Okay then.

Glyde
2008-07-28, 01:42 AM
Swordsage, Warblade or Cleric.

The Extinguisher
2008-07-28, 01:44 AM
Monk. It's the only thing that makes a monk good. Might as well take it.

RTGoodman
2008-07-28, 02:34 AM
Paladin.

He can hit, dodge, has good HP, save bonuses from stats at level 2 of +8, will get bonus spells at all levels, has a decent skill list to use that int, can lay on hands for a lot, and will get a lot of turns to fuel the divine feats.

That actually sounds like a relatively good idea. Paladins are known for being pretty MAD, so six 18s would be pretty good. I mean, having 18s in Str, Con, Wis, and Cha would be fine, but grabbing them in Dex and Int too couldn't hurt.

I might also think about Factotum. I mean, they only need Intelligence, but only because they get to add it to everything. Take that and add to the fact you've already GOT decent/high modifier in stuff from your other abilities, and this just makes it better.

Alternatively, I might would actually try a real gish - I mean, you don't have to worry about heavy armor (i.e., arcane spell failure) as much with the high Dex, you've got good Str and Con for meleeing, you've got a high stat in your casting stat, AND your other mental scores are good, too, even if you only need 'em for some skills or your (already-decent) Will save.

Talic
2008-07-28, 02:50 AM
Twilight mithril feycraft chain shirt? I do believe that's +4 armor, +6 max dex, and a 0% ASF.

Now, Rogue would also be good. +4 modifier on every skill for stats, good dex, good str, good hp, a ton of skills, and you don't need to decide between skillmonkey and combat fiend. Do both.

ghost_warlock
2008-07-28, 02:57 AM
I'd play a gestalt swordsage//shadowmage (my own class, in sig).

What the heck, right? I've already got all-18's so I may as well go all-out. :smalltongue:

Deepblue706
2008-07-28, 03:48 AM
Unless everyone else also had 18's, I'd never play anything with such a set. And even then, I'd be reluctant.

Definitely not a Monk, Rogue, Wizard or Cleric.

Probably not a Barbarian.

Definitely not a Druid.

By no means anything Psionic.

Nothing ToB.

I'd be a Half-Orc Fighter. In fact, the resultant set could very well provide the functionality of a an evil, villain-esque NPC who PCs in one of my games have a choice to deal with (I mean compromise). A Machiavellian Prince whose cunning, boldness and ruthlessness bring him beyond what his lowly birth damned him to, to a status of high-lordship, no less than a King of his own domain. But, this would be my decision only because of that sentimentality. I enjoyed developing that character.

I've decided there's no other way I would play with all 18's. I personally think it's just silly.

Spiryt
2008-07-28, 04:26 AM
Definetly ranger.

Strenght for bow & sword.
Dexterity for bow, AC and other stuff
Constitution is obvious
Intelligence for skills and generally being "smart ranga"
Wisdom for spells, Will save, skills
Charisma is generally lame in 3.5, but it would be always nice to create different character than stereotypical "lone ranger".

Multiclass to Barbarian, beacuse I like that combination, and to make use of great Constitution.

Alternatively, bard, or some interesting mage/warrior combination.

wadledo
2008-07-28, 06:51 AM
I'd be tempted to play an Awakened Badger Druid, just so I can summon badgers, and badgers, and badgers, and badgers, and badgers, and.......

Wraithy
2008-07-28, 07:28 AM
A rogue, just to brag about having infinity +1 on every skill known to man, and several known to dolphins.
Also it would allow me to use my dual wielding longswords sunder rogue, which may not be efficient (Oversized TWF lessens this), but when you can smash someone's weapon then kill them in the same turn (thus making the first action redundant) who cares.

AslanCross
2008-07-28, 07:39 AM
A Monk. and take a crapload of Vow's.

Same here.
On the other hand, a swordsage or warblade would rock too, since they're MAD-but-not-really.

Reinboom
2008-07-28, 07:43 AM
I would play something slightly out of role.
Like a beguiler tank.

Or something with the Dragonfire Adept.

Walken
2008-07-28, 07:50 AM
I would have to go with Ranger, and start with 2-weapon fighting and using all other feats to go get the archery spec feats.

Basically... Legolas.

DigoDragon
2008-07-28, 08:11 AM
I like the commoner idea. :smalltongue:
A human commoner with proficiency and Weapon Focus in "Pitch Fork". Take Leadership at level 6 and now you too can have your own angry mob! :smallbiggrin:

I think a kobold rogue would be pretty sweet with those stats. Take improved Initative and have a starting modifer of like... +9?

Aquillion
2008-07-28, 08:14 AM
Wizard. Because I'd have 18 intelligence.

mistformsquirrl
2008-07-28, 08:23 AM
Wow... that's a tough one honestly.

Probably a Swordsage though, headed for Master of the Nine. Simply put, having an 18 in every stat = perfect for a Master of the Nine, since every key ability would be covered.

<. .> I would be a 4'11" cat-eared god/ess!

Conners
2008-07-28, 08:33 AM
Bhaalspawn. Definitely, Bhaalspawn. Probably Fighter-Sorcerer.

Trobby
2008-07-28, 08:37 AM
Me? Personally?

A dwarvish druid.

Simply because there has never been a Dwarvish Druid.

In fact, I may play one anyway, just to spite those who haven't already made a Dwarvish Druid.

-Keep in mind, I'm also a man whose first character he ever made came out as an insane singing half-orc Monk from an Asian setting, and my current characters consist of a Violet-haired dual-weilding Barbarian Elf with a nobil background, his sister who is only half his age *and height*, and a scout who spends most of her time crafting armor.

Dwarvish Druid may, in fact, be my most reasonable character to date.

I think I'd call him "Targa Stoneroot", and give him a badger as an animal companion, and have him be a largely combat-oriented druid.

Jack Zander
2008-07-28, 08:39 AM
A rogue, just to brag about having infinity +1 on every skill known to man, and several known to dolphins.
Also it would allow me to use my dual wielding longswords sunder rogue, which may not be efficient (Oversized TWF lessens this), but when you can smash someone's weapon then kill them in the same turn (thus making the first action redundant) who cares.

Woah, wait, hold it, stop right there.

Can you sneak attack with a sunder?
If so that is the most awesome thing ever!

Spiryt
2008-07-28, 08:50 AM

Of course not. Sneak attack works agaionst living creatures with discernable anatomies, vulnerable to critical hits.

loopy
2008-07-28, 09:05 AM
I'd be tempted to play an Awakened Badger Druid, just so I can summon badgers, and badgers, and badgers, and badgers, and badgers, and.......

Would you like any mushrooms with that?

Maybe a snake?

Vexxation
2008-07-28, 09:19 AM
Soulknife.

Because, come ON. It's considered, what, like, one step above monk? Two above Samurai?

6 18s couldn't hurt it at all...

Garphor Drinfan
2008-07-28, 09:24 AM
Id have it be the evil villan. a Drow Cleric because Drow get so many stat bonuses.

grinner666
2008-07-28, 09:36 AM
Lot5R Crab clan Shugenja or Crane clan Samurai. Just because.

BTW I've already played a dwarf Druid. The dwarf NPCs in the game kept calling him "queer for plants". :smallwink:

RTGoodman
2008-07-28, 01:11 PM
A dwarvish druid.

Simply because there has never been a Dwarvish Druid.

In fact, I may play one anyway, just to spite those who haven't already made a Dwarvish Druid.
[...]
I think I'd call him "Targa Stoneroot", and give him a badger as an animal companion, and have him be a largely combat-oriented druid.

Sorrry to burst your bubble, but it's been done before. :smalltongue: Actually, quite often, I would think, especially considering one of the main-ish character in Salvatore's Cleric Quintet novels is a Dwarf Druid (or as he calls it, "Doo-Dad!") named Pikel Bouldershoulder.

I played one a while back, also, in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil when my first character died and the DM made me roll up a new one rolling all my stats IN ORDER (which no one had to do for their first character). Basically, I had a good Wis and didn't want to be a Monk (since that was the character that just died), so I went with Druid and decided on Dwarf for the extra Con and goodies. Overall, a very fun character to play, especially in his solo adventure (well, with his Brown Bear companion and summoned Badgers) against a Doppleganger and mid-level Ranger NPC (all while at level 4!).

Waspinator
2008-07-28, 01:20 PM
Expert. EXTREME Blacksmithing!

Stupendous_Man
2008-07-28, 01:21 PM
woudln't work cause the universe hates you

icefractal
2008-07-28, 01:37 PM
A swashbuckling type (not the Swashbuckler class specifically). One of the most stat hungry archetypes I know of. Even before considering combat effectiveness, you need high-to-decent stats all around to fit the concept, and once you take effectiveness into the picture it's supremely stat intensive.

Classwise, there's a lot of ways to do that - maybe some mix of Rogue, Swordsage, and/or Warblade.

Stupendous_Man
2008-07-28, 01:43 PM
bard would do it

Siosilvar
2008-07-28, 01:44 PM
Bhaalspawn. Definitely, Bhaalspawn. Probably Fighter-Sorcerer.

Can sorcerers even dual-class? You'd probably be better off with kensai dualled to mage, anyway. :smallbiggrin:

I'd play a Mystic (and/or Psionic) Theurge.

kamikasei
2008-07-28, 01:45 PM
Why wouldn't you play a Dwarven druid? Seems like solid synergy to me. Aside from flavour reasons, of course, but high all-round stats don't compensate for that.

I'd probably go with a factotum, resurrecting the idea I had a while back for one modeled on Lord Flashheart. "I've got a plan, and it's as hot as my pants!"

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-28, 01:47 PM
I would play one of my barely feasible character concepts, or an underpowered class. Last time I rolled really, really good stats, I played a CW samurai with the Kiai shout feat tree and Flick of the Wrist. His low stat was 15.

ericgrau
2008-07-28, 02:07 PM
heh, +1 ^. Or play w/ another DM, or talk to your DM. That is a bit too powerful.

But if you want something powerful: You could also do some kinda gish like an eldritch knight. No sense leaving the casters out of the mix when you want to be abusive. Even a straight wizard could work out: caster stat, con, skills, cha for charm person/charm monster, dex AC & for ray spells, wis for saves/spot/listen, even str for carrying stuff. Or if you want something martial then a paladin is a great fit to use lots of good stats.

Basically you can find something to fit any character concept you want. Some MAD or multiclass options may fit it better, but I'd pick the one of those that fits your character concept not pick a character concept just b/c one of those uses lots of high stats.

arguskos
2008-07-28, 02:16 PM
Hmm... all 18s... hehehehe.

I'd probably run some flavor of a theurge, like an Ultimate Magus (wiz/sor theurge), a mystic theurge (clr/wiz), or somesuch. Maybe a beguiler/duskblade Ultimate Magus...?

-argus

Kiara LeSabre
2008-07-28, 03:06 PM
For all you would-be bards out there, don't just be a bard. Be something like a goblin bard or an orc bard. :smalltongue:

Epinephrine
2008-07-28, 03:22 PM
What would you play if you rolled all 18s?

The lottery?

Tengu_temp
2008-07-28, 03:31 PM
The lottery?

Just if anyone's interested, the chance of rolling all eighteens, with using the standard "roll 4d6 and discard the lowest" system, is 0,00000000181%.

Yeah, if you've seen Evangelion then such a number looks familiar to you, I bet.

Collin152
2008-07-28, 03:37 PM
What would you play if you rolled all 18s?

The lottery?

Why? Youv'e already used up your luck allotment.

EndlessWrath
2008-07-28, 03:40 PM
I'd never get all 18s... like I've done it before..but i either choose to reroll.. or my DM makes me reroll.

But... when i did get it... i was gonna play a Cat-Folk Sorcerer. start with 8 hp? 22 dex, 20 charisma?
oh and of course... 17 ac wearing no armor.... 40ft movement... and a Hawk delivering all my touch spells.

that or a Hulk Hurler/War Hulk Ogre

RTGoodman
2008-07-28, 04:06 PM
Why? Youv'e already used up your luck allotment.

Exactly. Now, if you roll 4d6 drop lowest and come up with straight 3s, THAT's when you might want to start picking up lottery tickets - your luck's bound to get better!

See Also: Gambler's Fallacy

The Extinguisher
2008-07-28, 04:15 PM
No wait.

I'd play a Binder. Because why not?

Renrik
2008-07-28, 04:29 PM
No real reason for this thread beyond curiosity. If you rolled all 18s for your abilities, what class would you play?

I think I'd go bard. Throw bardic knack in there, and suddenly you have the epitome of the bard. Someone who can do anything, only this bard can do it really well.

Monk. Freaking amazing monk.

Talic
2008-07-28, 05:26 PM
now, odds of rolling six 18's on 3d6, no rerolls?

1 in 101,559,956,668,416, or roughly

0.000000000000098%

Chronos
2008-07-28, 05:30 PM
Personally, I'd have to go with a monk/paladin/duelist. Because there's no other way you're ever going to make that work.

Spiryt
2008-07-28, 05:33 PM
now, odds of rolling six 18's on 3d6, no rerolls?

1 in 101,559,956,668,416, or roughly

0.000000000000098%

Now I want to know probability of having 6 18s when using 30 points buy system.

UserClone
2008-07-28, 05:46 PM
Well, I'm afraid that one would be zero.:smallfrown:

spamoo
2008-07-28, 05:59 PM
If Bo9S is allowed, there is no doubt that I'd use Warblade. If not, I'd probably make a Sorcerer that is really good at stabbing people.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-07-28, 06:03 PM
Well, I'm afraid that one would be zero.:smallfrown:

Actually, it's possible, but you have to make a successful Bluff check against your DM and all other players to plant the nonmagical equivalent of a Suggestion, and they each get a +50 bonus to their Sense Motive checks against you. Since you have to be into your epic levels to do this without a Glibness spell, which you of course can't cast, the odds of being able to actually achieve this are incredibly remote.

Signmaker
2008-07-28, 06:18 PM
Paladin. YAAAY Auto+8 to saves!

TempusCCK
2008-07-28, 06:24 PM
Quarterstaff wielding monk maybe crossclass to fighter for some sweet sweet feats. I might even pick up Vow of Poverty, just because.

Glawackus
2008-07-28, 09:15 PM
I have no idea where I'd even start with classes, but I know who I'd be playing as. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman) :smalltongue:

Thurbane
2008-07-28, 09:23 PM
I'd say either a Factotum, Rogue/Chameleon, or maybe a Monk/Warmage...

Thurbane
2008-07-28, 09:41 PM
Maybe a beguiler/duskblade Ultimate Magus...?

-argus
I don't think that would work - aren't DB and Beg both spontaneous casters?

arguskos
2008-07-28, 10:28 PM
I don't think that would work - aren't DB and Beg both spontaneous casters?
Ah, so they are! I thought duskblade was prepared for some reason. No matter! Arcane Preparation FTW!!

-argus

Vortling
2008-07-28, 10:29 PM
I'd play a Factotum/Chameleon and play whichever party role was needed the most.

EndlessWrath
2008-07-28, 10:32 PM
God anyone? a lesser deity perhaps?

mikeejimbo
2008-07-28, 10:37 PM
Anything I like.

Vexxation
2008-07-28, 10:43 PM
I'd play a Factotum/Chameleon and play whichever party role was needed the most.

I'd play a Factotum/Chameleon with six fully statted personalities, and roll a die each day to see who woke up.

Is it the Neutral Good Healer? The Chaotic neutral Thief? The Lawful Stupid Knight? The Lawful Neutral Defender? The Neutral Evil Schemer? Or the Chaotic Evil Brawler?

Who's to say? What fun it could be, not knowing who's going to wake up, especially if playing a character of unspecified gender. The roleplaying would be hard as all get out, though, being able to keep track of and play six different people? Not easy.

Occasional Sage
2008-07-28, 11:14 PM
Expert. EXTREME Blacksmithing!

Try the Master Smith PrC from the Rokugan setting. It allows for the crafting of magic arms and armor by a non-caster. The full 10 levels of the class allow for +10 weapon or armor effects, and drastically cut crafting times.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-07-28, 11:19 PM
Paladin. That is all.

EndlessWrath
2008-07-28, 11:32 PM
Woah, wait, hold it, stop right there.

No you cannot sneak attack with a sunder. You can only sneak attack something that can be crit upon, the idea of sneak attacking is knowing the living creature's anatomy well enough to know what point to hit (which is weaker). You can't crit on sundering nor can you sneak attack.

I changed my answer btw... I would want to be a player's House Cat sentient familiar...who took a few levels in everything.
Me: I don't want to take a bath!
NPC: I dun care! *attempts to throw cat in water*
NPC 2: HOLY CRAP THE CAT JUST TALKED!!!!
Me: I said i don't want to! *throws a fireball with high DC*
NPC 1: AAAAAHHH
NPC 2: HOLY CRAP THE CAT JUST THREW A FIREBALL!

:biggrin:

DigoDragon
2008-07-29, 06:51 AM
Yeah, if you've seen Evangelion then such a number looks familiar to you, I bet.

It... does... :smalleek:

Well I loaded up my NeverWinter Nights game and used a character editor to make a PC with all 18s. Tried out a human rogue. You definitly can 'own' having all 18s in your stats... until I got eaten by the dire spider. :smallamused:

Leon
2008-07-29, 08:13 AM
Default Answer: Monk

Variant Answer: Hunter Avenger Druid

Idea Man
2008-07-29, 07:40 PM
One level of every full-twenty class available. Because I can. :smallbiggrin:

And, yes, I would happily play with alignment shift to get both barbarian and paladin.

What would I really play, though? ...the same thing I usually do. Whatever fits the fourth spot in the group, after everyone else has picked a class. :smalltongue:

EvilElitest
2008-07-29, 07:48 PM
i once had a random gate guard who had all 18s, and kept living through major battles where hoards of other NPCs died. He was uber sarcastic, so that explained why he was able to live being insulting
from
EE

Helgraf
2008-07-29, 09:51 PM
Something classless.

Chronos
2008-07-29, 09:57 PM
I'd play a Factotum/Chameleon with six fully statted personalities, and roll a die each day to see who woke up.Just a friendly reminder: Changelings are eligible for the Chameleon PrC. It's mentioned at the bottom of the description, under "adaptation".

You're welcome.

Recaiden
2008-07-29, 10:09 PM
That's tough. I want to play a Green Star Adept. If it was gestalt, a GSA / Soulknife. Or a truenamer or swordsage.

Aquillion
2008-07-29, 10:26 PM
A fighter. Armed with a weapon that criticals on a 18-20, obviously, because then I'll critical on every hit.

Also, rolling 18 on every HD would make me awfully tough.

Demons_eye
2008-07-29, 10:32 PM
Hmmm I think I would play Monk. Or warforge fighter.

Yahzi
2008-07-30, 12:20 AM
Same thing I'd play if I rolled one 18.

A wizard.

:smallbiggrin:

mabriss lethe
2008-07-30, 12:34 AM
I'd do something absurd like a horribly unoptimised (but fun) soulknife or monk

Play something a little less absurd like a bard or binder

or just be evil and play a melee glaive-lock

There would probably be unusual/cruddy racial choices involved just because I'd never convince myself to play it otherwise.

hmm...mounted goblin glaivelock? it could work.

Paragon Badger
2008-07-30, 12:41 AM

You shall thus be unstoppable.

tenshiakodo
2008-07-30, 10:23 AM
Outside of the silly answers, something I've noticed from this thread is how quickly people realize normally sub-par classes like the Monk and Paladin become ridiculous with high stats all across the board.

Conversely, SAD classes like the Wizard get very little benefit from all 18's. Oh sure, Dex/Con/Int, but Wis is mostly just Will saves (something the Wiz is already good at), and Str/Cha?

I remember reading, some time back, a theory posted by someone who felt that upping the power curve, and allowing players to have higher than normal stats brings more balance to the game than less, since sub-optimal classes start looking cooler in comparism to the "strong" classes.

Even Druid looks less shiny when your initial Wild Shape options look worse than your normal body!

I've experimented with this concept in my own personal games, and so far, the only snag I've come across is the darned Cleric.

Give a Cleric any stat array you can think of, as long as he begins with at least a 15 Wis, and he (or she, as the case may be) can become a menace.

A Cleric with all 18's? That's just scary.

Oh, and for the record, with all 18's at my disposal, I'd play a Paladin too.

+9 to hit at 1st-level with a Smite attack? +8 to all saves once I get Divine Grace? Bonus spells at all levels? Skill points that don't suck? Heck, and a chance to actually use Turn Undead and have it work, for a change?

Yeah, sign me up. ^_^

Tengu_temp
2008-07-30, 10:33 AM
Actually, that's just low level. At levels 7 and later, when casters really start to shine, a wizard with elite array is still much more powerful than a fighter or monk with all 18s.

PnP Fan
2008-07-30, 10:54 AM
To the OP: I'd play White Wolf. All 18's in White Wolf would be off the scale, literally. :-)

MammonAzrael
2008-07-30, 11:00 AM
That's actually a tough call. Most have already been mentioned, Like Monk and Paladin. I certainly want to play something with crazy MAD. The Factotum idea is quite fun, though the one I would play could also be a RedMage style character of maddening hilarity. Binder was an interesting suggestion.

When it comes down to it, I'd want to play a character that really utilizes the amazing stats, since they're so incredible, and it'd certainly be a part of that character's personality.

Currently some type of Pally is at the top of my list.

Ossian
2008-07-30, 11:11 AM
Warlock, or Warlock/Monk and then go into that blaster martial artist class in the Complete Arcane.

With 18 in all stats I'd become the Vegetta of Faerun in a couple of Months....

Pirate_King
2008-07-30, 11:31 AM
I'd go with some Gish combo. Though, two of the DM's I usually play with would probably only let me keep two of those 18's and not let me re-roll any of my other results.

expirement10K14
2008-07-30, 11:32 AM
I propose an elimination tournament. As people are saying there is more balance with higher stats, so 3 rounds-

Level 1 Characters Only- All stats start at 18
Level 10 Characters
Level 20 Characters

Books and races might have to be restricted, but it could be interesting if everyone used the same class for all three tournaments, and played the same people.