PDA

View Full Version : Thrulls (Wow, I must be really messed up) monster template rough draft PEACH

Hyrael
2008-07-28, 02:37 PM
This was an idea that has been kicking around in my head for a few weeks. Partialy inspired by the classic Frankenstein, MtG's Thrulls (who mostly just gave the name), and an odd nightmare I had some time ago. I mostly typed it up last night between 10PM and 2AM, in between watching TV and surfing the interweb.

The Kamikazi ability come from an episode of the Venture Bros, of all places.
"why yes, I expect you pack quite a bit of C4 into the chest cavity..."

Should I be afraid of my own mind?

Opinions, advice, and ideas for new abilities most welcome.

Edited: for formating

Thrull
The pathetic creature hobbles aimlessly, its mere existance an act of unforgivable cruelty. shaped vaugely like a canine, long stitches hold its leathery body together over a mishappen frame, while blood and other fluids ooze from cracks and seams. One if its limbs is a rivited peg of bone, and one eye flops loosely out of its socket. the other seems to beg for death.

The art of flesh golem creation is, while unseemly and unpleasant, not evil in and of itself. The aquisition of suitable body parts can be done through legal, voluntary means, and the resulting constructs are unthinking and unfeeling. It is when the creator goes further, and tries to grant truer life to his cobbled-together creations, that true depravity begins. For to iflict life and awareness on such sad creatures is cruel beyond imagining, and blessed is the person that returns merciful death to the tired bones and flesh of a Thrull. Thrulls stand between flesh golems and true living creatures. They have life, formed from positive energy infused into their physical forms, but their bodies are crude apporiximations thrown together from spare parts. The "soul" of a thrull is simple and delicate, and dissipates instantly upon death. They are incapable of reproduction or growth, and thus wear out their bodies in a matter of months, depending on thier level of activity. They require food, but only a lucky few are given functioning digestive organs. The rest are periodicaly injected with an alchemical nourishing solution that keeps them "up and running."

Creating a Thull is simple once the infuzing equipment has been constructed. after this monumental acheivement, one merely has to stitch a complete animal hide around a fresh skeleton (only a spinal chord and brain is really necessary, the rest can be metal), pack a few pounds of ground meat into the hide, a lung or two, a heart, blood, and eyes. Then pump massive ammounts of positive energy into the construct, accompanied by a simple ritual, and the meat will "heal" into musculature and connect itself to the brain and organs. The the brain itself usualy has no memories of its previous life. usualy. Imaginative creators will combine several different animals, or cobble together completely new structures out of steel and sinew. Their complete expendability, ease of creation, and almost desperate willingness to put themselves in harm's way makes thrulls ideal guardians and servants for those completely numb to the suffering of other beings.

Creating a Thrull
“Thrull” is an acquired template
that can be added to any animal, magical beast, humanoid or
monstrous humanoid creature (referred
to hereafter as the base creature).
*A Thrull uses all the base creature’s statistics
and special abilities except as noted here.
Size and Type: The creature’s type changes
to Construct (living, augmented). Do not recalculate
base attack bonus, saves, or skill points.
Size is unchanged.
Armor Class: The base creature’s natural armor bonus improves by +2.
Hit Dice: Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d10s.
Speed: Same as the base creature -10 ft. If the base creature has an alternative movement speed, the Thull retains it at a -10 penalty. A fly speed automaticaly becomes clumsy
Attack: A thrull retains all the attacks of the base creature. If the base creature can use weapons, the thrull retains this ability. A creature with natural weapons retains those natural weapons. A thrull fighting without weapons uses either its claw attack or its primary natural weapon
(if it has any). A thrull armed with a weapon usually uses the weapon as its primary attack
Abilities: Change from the base creature as follows:
Str +2, Dex -4, Con +2, Int -2, wis -2, Cha -4., minimum 1
Special Qualities: A thrull retains all the special
qualities of the base creature . plus the following:
Enslaved: the ritual of creation binds the thrull to the will of its creator. Thrulls have no desires or motivations beyond following their master's will and ending their own existance.
Resistance to Electricity 10

the thrull also gains two of the following special qualities. Ability score modifications are cumulative (for example, a thrull with Extra Brains has a net inteligence bonus of +4, wis -4, cha -6
Bloated (ex): the thrull has been packed full to bursting with gristle, bone, and bits of wood. It is extremely ungainly, but its durability has been tragicaly increased. it takes a further -2 penalty to dexterity and a +4 bonus to constitution, as well as DR 2/-
Finely Crafted (ex): attention has been paid to this thrull's appearance. Its skin was made from one fresh creature, carefuly stitched, and treated to maintain its origial hue. This, combined with delicate handling of the implanted brain, makes the Thrull almost capable of passing for normal. It gains a +10 circumstance bonus on disguise checks made to emulate a normal member of its original race. It also gain a +4 bonus to charisma.
Grace (ex): this thrull was built solely for speed, wth a complete skeleton, wiry musculature, and little else. It gains a +30 ft bonus to all of its movement speeds, +8 dex, -4 con, +2 on reflex saves.
Extra Eyes (ex): additional eyes have been attatched around this thrull's skull. This affords it a wider feild of vision, but is rather traumatic on its brain, which is unused to such a sensory overload. The thrull cannot be flanked or caught flat-footed, and gains a +10 bonus on spot checks and darkvision 60 ft, but takes a -4 penalty to Wisdom.
Extra brains (ex). Additional brain matter has been packed into the skull cavity, granting the thrull a +6 bonus to intelligence. The thrull gains a +2 bonus on two knowledge skills, and can use these skills untrained. however, the thrull suffers a further -2 penalty to wisdom and charisma
Kamikazi (ex): this thrull's chest cavity has been packed with explosive chemicals and shrapnel, which the thrull can trigger at any time as a free action (thulls are usualy ordered to only explode at a specific point in a mission, otherwise they use this ability as soon as possible). The explosion deals 1d12 points of damage/HD of the thrull, the damage is half fire and half slashing, with a reflex save for half damage (save DC constitution based, with a +2 racial bonus), in a 10 ft radius burst. the thrull automaticaly fails this save, and takes 150% damage
Artificed (ex): this thrull's body is mostly metalic, with muscles grafted to an iron framework and chainmail draped beneath the hide. The thrull gains DR 5/adamantine, and a +4 armor bonus to AC.
Unsettling (ex): this thrull was built to invoke pity and horror in those that observe it. Creatures within 30 ft observing it must make a Will Save or be affected by crushing despair, as the spell. The save DC is constitution based, and includes a +2 racial bonus
Hidden Blade (ex): the thrull has a retractible spike or sword built into its appendage or torso. This is treated as a shortsword that can be drawn as a free action, and grants a +5 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks made to conceal the blade, which counts as palmable. An opponent struck by the blade whom was unaware of it's existance is flat-footed for that attack. The thrull also gains +2d6 sneak attack.
Hulking (ex): This thrull has had excess muscle packed into it's hide, so much so that it bursts open in places. The thrull gains a Natural Slam attack (1d6 for medium thrulls) and a +6 bonus to strength, but takes a -2 penalty to dexterity and natural armor.
Environment: Any, usually same as base creature.
Organization: Solitary, often found with creator.
Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1.
Treasure: None.
Alignment: Always neutral.
Advancement: None, except by character class
Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +1.

Sample Thrulls
"Why, Lord Wendslidale, I didnt expect to see you here." The wizard smiled toothily at the nobleman, as the ball continued around them. "I just want you to know there's no hard feelings over that royal grant I lost to your military academy. Say, have you met my neice...Anya?" The smiling man pulled foreward a blank-faced young woman in a frilled dress, her eyes oddly shadowed and her movements clumsy. "I'm sure you two would get along famously. Anya, why not dance with the nice man while I go get us some more wine? Be right back."
Thrull Assassin CR 3
Thrull Female Human Commoner 4
N Medium construct (augmented humanoid, living construct)
Init -2; Senses; spot -2, Listen -2
Defense
AC 10; touch 8, flat-footed 10 (-2 Dex, +2 natural)
hp 33 (4d10+12)
Fort +3, Ref -1, Will -1
Immune Living construct;
Resist electricity 10
Offense
Speed 20 ft.
Melee unarmed +3 (1d3+1)
Special Attacks Kamikazi (Ref DC 18, 4d12 dmg, fire/slashing)
Tactics
Before Combat Thrull assassins Attempt to approach their target alone, unarmored, or otherwise vulnerable before triggering their kamikazi ability
During Combat Assassins have a singular goal: to trigger their kamikazi ability within range of their target. In comat, they take the shortest route to their target, taking AoOs if necessary, before exploding.
Morale Thrull desire death, and thus do not flee. A thrull assassin that survives its explosion has no more orders to follow, and attempts to end its existance in some other manner.
Statistics
Str 12, Dex 6, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 7, Cha 13
Base Atk +2; Grp +3
Special Qualities Finely Crafted, Kamikazi, enslaved
Feats Ability Focus (kamikazi), Persuasive, Improved Toughness
Skills Diplomacy +6, Bluff +6, Disguise +4 (+10 impersonating a human)
Languages Common

Thrull assassins are made from the bodies of freshly dead young females, and compelled to seek out their assigned target and trigger their payload of alchemists fire. Used to eliminate targets in social settings such as taverns or partys, some assassins are instructed to get their target alone before exploding, to minimize collateral damage. Others are given no such stipulations.

A mottled brown and pink, covered in stitches, it lurches foreward. neck bent at an odd angle, clouded black eyes stare at you unseeing, once completely hanging out of the socket. Long, ungainly legs clatter on stone as it rears up, and a rasping bleat emerges from a ruined throat. Odd lumps beneath the hide ripple and bunch, popping stitches here and there, as it brings down it's head with crushing force.
Thrull Shocktrooper CR 2
Thrull Deer
N Medium Construct (Living construct)
Init -2; Senses listen +3
Aura unsettling aura (30 ft, DC 15, crushing despair)
Defe nse
AC 8; touch 16, flat-footed 18 (-2 dex)
hp 18 (2d10+4+3)
Fort +5, Ref +1, Will -1
Immune living construct
Resist electricity 10
Offense
Speed 40 ft.
Melee Slam +6 (1d6+5) and 2 hooves +1 (1d3+2)
Tac tics
During Combat Attack the nearest foe until it stops moving, then move on to the next
Morale Thrulls fight to the death.
Statistics
Str 21, Dex 7, Con 14, Int 1, Wis 9, Cha 1
Base Atk +1; Grp +6
Feats Tougness
Skills Listen +3

Thrull Shocktroopers are bult from deer hides and skeletons, but are usualy packed with beef and pork to an obscene degree, and almost intentionaly poorly made. They serve as heavy guards and beasts of burden.

Zeta Kai
2008-07-28, 07:36 PM
My... god... please... format... text dump...

Can't... understand... your... meaning...

Looks... good... but hurts... to read...

Seriously though, if you need help formating, I'll help you out. But right now, that text is... difficult to slog through, at best.

D Knight
2008-07-28, 09:01 PM
i have read a small bit and found some reduncey in it like

Abilities: Change from the base creature as follows:
Str +2, Dex -4, Con +2, Int -2, wis -2, Cha -4., minimum 1
as to

Extra brains (ex). Additional brain matter has been packed into the skull cavity, granting the thrull a +6 bonus to intelligence
and there is still more i am see as i look over it. so please read over it and fromat it.

Hyrael
2008-07-28, 11:34 PM
I know how to format; I was just in a hurry to post before I left the "internet Cafe" (a mini-mart with wireless internet).

Edited a bit; now it should be easier to read.

JoshuaZ
2008-07-29, 12:47 AM
The LA seems more than +1. A wizard thrull for example with Extra Brains would be very nice. If said Wizard takes Finely Crafted then he is getting +6 to intelligence, and +2 to charisma, -2 to wisdom and a host of other goodies. Similarly Grace with Hulking could make ridiculous melee characters.

This seems to be at least an LA of +2.

There are similar critiques of the CR. Thrulls with Kamikazi could potentially have much higher CR adjustment and the others look like they require higher CR adjustments also.

Hyrael
2008-07-29, 01:15 AM
Well, the fact that the kamikazi ability is almost always going to kill the thrull that uses it, and that explosion is going to be the thrull's only significant combat action, makes it a bit less good.

But points taken. I'll increase the CR and LAs to +2, although the LA is really only there for weirdos and cohorts. Who would want a character who's sole goal in life is to end their existance, and is permanently enslaved (no save) to some guy. These things are meant to be monsters and occasionaly NPCs

A thrull with Extra Brains and Finely Crafted is getting, in total, a +4 bonus to int and a -2 penalty to Cha, and -4 to wis. the -4 to dex is pretty nasty, too. He'd be utterly pathetic at anything except spellcasting and research. An ideal Igor, in fact.

Lyndworm
2008-07-29, 04:38 AM
I am so throwing this into my campaign. You clearly need help, but I'm not going to give it to you. :smallamused:

Zack

DracoDei
2008-07-29, 11:42 AM
Formatting looks good now (except for the deer which is still really bad). I assume you fixed it after the above commenter posted, or they probably would have realized the ability adjustments are cummulative and the creator only gets to pick two features from the list.