PDA

View Full Version : Tripping question

jrorke1284
2008-07-28, 04:05 PM
One player in my game has created a tripper, in RAW can you make a trip action as an attack of opportunity?

Sir Giacomo
2008-07-28, 04:06 PM
Yes.

- Giacomo

Volug
2008-07-28, 04:07 PM
When I saw this thread, I immendiantly yelled: SAKURAAAAIIIIIIIIII!!!!
(Cookie for... explaining where I got that from >.>)

I believe you can trip as an attack of opprotunity, but I forget what RAW is >.>

Like meat?:smalltongue:

ericgrau
2008-07-28, 05:39 PM
An attack of opportunity may be any attack action. So yes. You can trip, disarm, initiate a grapple, deal damage (as normal) or sunder. EDIT: I think I got 'em all.

Siosilvar
2008-07-28, 05:41 PM
I don't think you can initiate a grapple, because you have to move into their square.

Also, the one you're missing is probably overrun.

Talic
2008-07-28, 05:44 PM
Yes, you may initiate a grapple as an AoO. Per the SRD:

Step 4

Maintain Grapple. To maintain the grapple for later rounds, you must move into the target’s space. (This movement is free and doesn’t count as part of your movement in the round.)

Moving, as normal, provokes attacks of opportunity from threatening opponents, but not from your target.

If you can’t move into your target’s space, you can’t maintain the grapple and must immediately let go of the target. To grapple again, you must begin at Step 1.

So, unless you are physically prevented from moving (tanglefoot bag, other person mounted (can't move into the mount's space, as you're not grappling it), web, etc), you are able to grapple.

ericgrau
2008-07-28, 05:45 PM
I don't think you can initiate a grapple, because you have to move into their square.

Also, the one you're missing is probably overrun.

The movement for initiating a grapple is free. Overrun is a standard action so it can't be done. Not to mention it must be done in the middle of a move action.

EDIT: Aw, ninja'd :smallsmile:. How'd you do so much so fast?

Chronicled
2008-07-28, 06:12 PM
Along this vein, wouldn't Knockback (free Bull Rush after hitting) be able to replace Stand Still for large sized/power build trip builds? Or would that not necessarily end their move?

Frosty
2008-07-28, 06:13 PM
It would not end their move, but it might push them far enough that they can't move to where they want to. I'd still suggest stand still because it's such a good feat.

dman11235
2008-07-28, 06:16 PM
Stand still is defeated by Freedom of Movement. Trip still works. It is defeated by some creatures though, and is much easier to resist.

Frosty
2008-07-28, 06:24 PM
My fighter builds take *both* to be safe. Use trip attempts agaisnt those with low str/dex or with really high normal AC (not touch AC). Use Stand Still against those that aren't that hard to hit in the first place but have god-awful high strength/dex, or if they're flying.

dman11235
2008-07-28, 10:07 PM
You also take Bull Rush and Disarm? Cause I do. Gonna go BC, might as well go the whole distance. Hey, you can even for ma sort of loop with trip/disarm: use the AoOs for correcting one (getting up, picking up weapon) to use the other (disarm the getting up, trip the disarmed). Anyways, Bull Rush also opens up Shock Trooper, which besides its obvious awesome charge ability (apply Pw Attack penalty to AC instead of attack), is really one of the best BC feats. And if you can: Knock Back.

With all of these (will need feat rogue and fighter levels AND psychic warrior levels to pull off though) you will be able to stop motion in two different ways (stand still/trip), move them (bull rush+Knock Back) to where you want, and eliminate some as a threat (disarm). And you're huge when you do this thanks to Expansion. Through in a monk level (or two for Evasion) for Decisive Strike and focus solely on AoO damage (include Combat Reflexes and Robilar's Gambit/Karmic Strike), and you've got a pretty solid character. If you use unarmed strikes you can also do some really decent damage.

Frosty
2008-07-29, 12:28 AM
The sad thing is, the 4e Figher can do a lo of this kinda stuff without needing to jump through hoopslike the 3.5 fighter.

dman11235
2008-07-29, 08:08 AM
You don't have to jump through hoops to be able to do this. It's just 5 feats for Imp Disarm, BR, and Trip. 6 for Stand Still, 7 for Shock Trooper (all feats to 20), 8 for Knock Back (1 fighter or human). It's just that being able to do everything is extremely feat intensive. Certainly possible, I'm doing it right now, and I have most of these I need at level 9. And I'm adding in Combat Reflexes (needed, really), Imp Initiative (though I don't need it now, I might get rid of it), Great Fortitude, and INA.

Epinephrine
2008-07-29, 08:30 AM
One player in my game has created a tripper, in RAW can you make a trip action as an attack of opportunity?

Just remember that AoO happens before the action that triggers them. An enemy trying to stand up triggers an AoO, but you can't trip them as the AoO happens before they stand up.

UglyPanda
2008-07-29, 08:37 AM
When I saw this thread, I immendiantly yelled: SAKURAAAAIIIIIIIIII!!!!
(Cookie for... explaining where I got that from >.>)

I believe you can trip as an attack of opprotunity, but I forget what RAW is >.>

Like meat?:smalltongue:
Super Smash Brothers Brawl, obviously. Damn Dedede.

Back to the original poster's question: Getting lots of AoOs are what make trip builds work. There is a thread devoted to quick RAW questions at the top of the board.

JupiterPaladin
2008-07-29, 08:41 AM
Sure you could if you're creative. Instead of waiting for them to get up then trip them again, imagine you see them trying to get up and you stomp them back down to prevent the recovery attempt. I call it, the Monkey Stomp :smallamused:

Talic
2008-07-29, 09:34 AM
The ideal is a reach weapon (spiked chain is ideal), combat reflexes, and Imp trip. (Enlarge for Bonus points)

Your opponent attempts to close to 5 feet. At 10 feet, he triggers an AoO. You trip, and get your free attack. He gets back up, you AoO attack. His turn is over.

Your turn, you trip and get your free attack, then move back 10 feet (that, or hit him while he's down again, then 5 foot step back).

Now, you're 15-20 feet away, he gets up, moves toward you, you AoO trip, take your free attack. His turn is over.

Repeat as necessary.

If you're enlarged, you have 20 ft reach, and can engage more than 1 opponent at long range. Most creatures won't have a reach close to yours. Follow up with Stand Still, for those hard-to-trip beasties, and you're fairly good. As long as everyone in your group doesn't mind falling back 5 feet a round (usually not an issue), you can hold several creatures at 20 ft range for some time.

A good ability that synergizes with this is Thicket of Blades. All movement provokes, even movement that normally doesn't (including 5 foot steps and starting square when withdrawing).

Another is Roots of the mountain. -10 to tumble checks can catch many tumblers by surprise.

Frosty
2008-07-29, 10:35 AM
You don't have to jump through hoops to be able to do this. It's just 5 feats for Imp Disarm, BR, and Trip. 6 for Stand Still, 7 for Shock Trooper (all feats to 20), 8 for Knock Back (1 fighter or human). It's just that being able to do everything is extremely feat intensive. Certainly possible, I'm doing it right now, and I have most of these I need at level 9. And I'm adding in Combat Reflexes (needed, really), Imp Initiative (though I don't need it now, I might get rid of it), Great Fortitude, and INA.

You need to be large or have Powerful Build to take Knock Back. My DM won't allow me to take the feat if I was only enlarged by magical or psionic means...

Funkyodor
2008-07-29, 03:33 PM
It will probably be helpful if you keep the list of actions that provoke handy (for wierd situations). Plus remember that cover rules apply to opportunity attacks at range, you can't take opportunity attacks against enemies behind other enemies or behind cover. So the archers behind a wall are safe from spiked chain death, as are the kobolds behind a Tower shield line. Just some ideas to challenge an enlarged / reach weapon tripper.

Talic
2008-07-29, 04:37 PM
Psh, That's why enlarged spike chain trippers keep tower shields. So they can take cover when needed.

dman11235
2008-07-29, 09:07 PM
Your DM is silly Frosty.

Though, you could just take Goliath as your race. Or better yet: half-minotaur goliath.

Also, Knock-Back isn't necessary, it's just nice. It's not even useful in all situations.

Frosty
2008-07-30, 12:35 AM
Well, I can knock people back into walls and make them take damage...