PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Spoilt brat thread!

Ranna
2008-07-28, 04:18 PM
How do you tell someone (i.e your parents) that you are not quite sure why they spent so much money on something that you don't quite like?

Silence
2008-07-28, 04:20 PM
...you don't.

CrazedGoblin
2008-07-28, 04:20 PM
...you don't.

haha :smallbiggrin:

Silence
2008-07-28, 04:22 PM
It's not meant to be funny. It's serious.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Player_Zero
2008-07-28, 04:22 PM
You learn to like whatever it is that they got you instead because it's only polite. They want to see you happy with whatever it is even if they scrimped and scraped in order to buy you it.

If you tell them you don't like it then it'd hurt their feelings would it not?

Ranna
2008-07-28, 04:26 PM
It would but you know how they gave it me?

An email confirming the order of what they bought!

If I got to open the damned thing I could pretend to love it and stuff but I am not sure how I can approach them and bring up the topic of the present whilst pretending to be made up about it. - I can be fake but not that fake!

Silence
2008-07-28, 04:34 PM
....must.... resist..... will..... to...... flame.........

Ok, look. We all have to put up with gifts we don't like. Who here hasn't gotten grandma's knitted underwear for christmas? You just have to pretend you like it. It's a fact of life. That's what people do.

Lex-Kat
2008-07-28, 04:37 PM
It depends on what it is & how much you dislike it.

If you absolutely wouldn't want this item. Tell them.

Say: "Thank you for the gift. It was quite unexpected, but, it's not something that I want." You may want to explain why you don't want it and then see where it goes from there.

But remain polite. They obviously were trying to get something really nice. They were just misguided. They may be hurt by it, but they'll be more hurt, if you don't ever use it, after they paid so much for it.

This is from personal experience. My mom bought me a portable DVD palyer. Something I've never wanted. So I had to confront her about it.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-28, 04:38 PM
Well in my case I had received a new MP3 player from my mom when all of us americans (or at least some of use) got that tax rebate. its cost about $150. Now it was exactly like my old player except my old one had a cracked screen so all you could see was how much battery was left. It still played music and thats all I really cared about. I simply told her that while I appreciated the gesture, I didn't really need a new MP3 player. So i took it back to Best buy and ended up getting the Rock Band bundle instead.

Lord Herman
2008-07-28, 04:41 PM
Personally, I'd be honest with them. If there's a lot of money involved, it's better to tell them you don't like it than to have them spend all that money on something that won't make you happy. That wouldn't be fair to your parents or to yourself.

Ranna
2008-07-28, 04:43 PM
Its just expensive otherwise its great but I don't like the idea that they gambled 300+ quid on a surprise... they didn't even talk to me about it.

Would it be mean to never tell them? I never keep things from my parents. How do you pretend to like something then?

((Oh and I did post a warning that this is a spoilt brat thread... did you not see the title?))

RabbitHoleLost
2008-07-28, 04:47 PM
I don't think you're being a spoiled brat at all.
Especially if they spent a lot of money on it. Approach them politely, and let them you know you appreciate the gesture, but that you wish they hadn't spend so much money on something like that, and that you'd feel much better if they returned it or some such.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-28, 05:09 PM
Who here hasn't gotten grandma's knitted underwear for christmas? .
Me.

Am I the only one? *looks around surprised*

But its best to tell them I think. Maybe some subtle hints in advance.

zeratul
2008-07-28, 05:15 PM
Its just expensive otherwise its great but I don't like the idea that they gambled 300+ quid on a surprise... they didn't even talk to me about it.

Would it be mean to never tell them? I never keep things from my parents. How do you pretend to like something then?

((Oh and I did post a warning that this is a spoilt brat thread... did you not see the title?))

If you don't mind my asking, what is it that they ordered for you?

GrassyGnoll
2008-07-28, 05:20 PM
Me neither.

She did send me a biography of Andrew Jackson, a songbook solely about "This Land is Your Land", and Macy's longsleeve shirts innumerable.

Anyway back to the matter at hand. What is the item in question? That would help a lot.

Silence
2008-07-28, 05:27 PM
Me.

Am I the only one? *looks around surprised*

That was a metaphor. Watch out for them; they can be tricky.

Reinboom
2008-07-28, 05:39 PM
This is partially why I'm not too keen on being "surprised".
Aside, I would just confront them about it politely, as suggested. It at least defers them from making the same mistake again for that type of item, which would be helping both of you.

Also, this thread makes me want a knitted bra.

Tom_Violence
2008-07-28, 05:49 PM

Me too, etc. :smallamused:

Anyway, I vote for not telling them. Otherwise you're being rude, and risk never getting an actual gift again. I don't mean that in a spiteful way, but there's a good chance that if you tell them then in future you'll just get money on special occasions instead of presents.

Silence
2008-07-28, 05:50 PM
It's probably a bad idea to ask why, but I think I will.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-28, 05:56 PM
It's probably a bad idea to ask why, but I think I will.

Wouldn't that quite possibly be itchy?

Edit: And in a place you can't exactly scratch, not in polite company, at least.

Ranna
2008-07-28, 06:07 PM
I have been given tickets to top gear, (non refundable - eek).

Now ordinarily that would be great but Ive read on the website that they do not condone the companies that sell top gear tickets as you get them for free from the bbc. I feel like my parents are getting ripped off in my name. :smallfrown:

Don't get me wrong it is the most lovely gift idea but my pragmatic side is tearing me apart at the expense of it all, plus they've been going on about getting me something I can cherish. So I was figuring they'd get me something that is a little less one time use only something more permament.

Guess this is what I get for being content with my current belongings and not wanting to go abroad ever again (thats a long story but it ruled out a birthday holiday)

Stupid surprises I really cannot handle them very well, once someone gave me a surprise birthday party and I threw up because of the shock and had to go home!!!!!!!

Moff Chumley
2008-07-28, 06:07 PM
(Ninja'd)

I think telling them of the problem would be pretty helpful in this case, but I suppose you know your parents better than any of us.

Midnight Son
2008-07-28, 06:14 PM
I think you should opt for this method. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzG_oHDLZdc) :smallbiggrin:

Ranna
2008-07-28, 06:22 PM
lol erm well no its not a crying moment but I don't think my birthday is worth the money they spent on me I feel like I am under pressure to have the best night ever because it cost so much.

It seems I have issues with money and frivolous spending.

Player_Zero
2008-07-28, 06:29 PM
I think I know the feeling...

Tis truly a horrible feeling, I think...

I don't foresee any easy way out of it either...

SweetLikeLemons
2008-07-28, 06:35 PM

If the tickets are non-refundable, it seems kind of pointless to be worried about them spending money on them now, since whether you use them or not, they aren't going to see that money again, and the people who run the website have already profited from them. Honestly, I think the thing to do here is thank your parents. If you feel that telling them you love the tickets would be lying, you can still thank them for the thought that went into the gift (and I would say some thought did go into it, if they were excited about it and expecting you to cherish it), or even tell them you are touched that they spent so much on you.

If surprises really do upset you that much, bring it up with them some time. Some other time. Some time when they have not just given you what they seem to think is a really great surprise gift.

Tom_Violence
2008-07-28, 07:03 PM
If its the money that bothers you so much, accept very graciously, but at the same time stress that they really shouldn't have, it was a lot of money, and though you love the present you feel guilty at them having spent so much on you.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-28, 07:06 PM
Here are some words. They might help, might not.

"Thanks for the tickets Momndad, but you really don't need to be spending so much on me!"

They say something along the lines of "No, anything for my little girl." (yes I'm enjoying this moment)

"No, seriously, I feel really uncomfortable with the amount of money your spending on me! That money might have been better used to save up for College."

Groundhog
2008-07-28, 07:46 PM
I don't think you're acting spoilt at all--the fact that you don't want an expensive present sounds pretty un-spoilt.

Cubey
2008-07-28, 08:01 PM
I like Top Gear too.

Now ordinarily that would be great but Ive read on the website that they do not condone the companies that sell top gear tickets as you get them for free from the bbc. I feel like my parents are getting ripped off in my name. :smallfrown:
Here are my thoughts on it. Your parents express caring about you by buying such an expansive ticket. They're not being ripped off - that's probably the only way you could get a ticket like that, a chance of receiving one from BBC is slim. So they have chosen to make you happy even with slightly questionable methods. And hey, it's not that Jeremy Clarkson will find out and make fun of you or anything like that.

Don't get me wrong it is the most lovely gift idea but my pragmatic side is tearing me apart at the expense of it all, plus they've been going on about getting me something I can cherish. So I was figuring they'd get me something that is a little less one time use only something more permament.

No need to worry so much. A trip is one-time but it still gives you something to cherish - memories of a great time you've spent. I went to WWI this month, which costed me a lot of lucre (and my family isn't that rich to begin with). It could be spent better from a pragmatic/materialistic side but that doesn't matter. What matters is that I had a blast of a great time.

I don't think you act spoiled. You're rather worried about the present - or to be more precise, not about the present itself, but the means it took your parents to acquire it. But these means show that the parents are ready to do sacrifices (money, and potentially getting into trouble with BBC) to make their daughter happy. If anything, I think it makes the present more precious.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-07-28, 08:16 PM
Ranna, it's very simply. You tell them that you love them and appreciate the thought, but you'd much rather that they spend their money on the computer games Bor wants. :smalltongue:

In all honesty, go to this Top Gear thing and try to have a good time.

At the same time, because you're concerned about their financial efforts to get you these tickets, tell them to spring such surprises on you verbally before spending the money. This way you can say such things as, "Thanks, but I'd rather have a..." It'll save them money and your displeasure.

Now try to enjoy the gift you've received. Maybe bring a friend who'd be really into it.

thubby
2008-07-28, 08:18 PM
kindly inform them that you appreciate the thought, but aren't interested.
they don't want you miserable for your, birthday was it? give them to someone who wants to go and say you got the gift of making someone else happy

*looks at midnight's post*
well if that's the case, it would be silly not to go. not going would be a waste, just go, enjoy yourself, and if you are really that uncomfortable accepting an expensive gift, let em know that. what's done is done, reap what rewards you can.

Midnight Son
2008-07-28, 11:54 PM
I think she wants to go, she's just hung up on the cost. i say go. Enjoy it.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-29, 01:02 AM
I think you should opt for this method. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzG_oHDLZdc) :smallbiggrin:

See, this I why I despise the wealthy. I'd kill for a car like that and it could be dog**** brown for all I care.

Khanderas
2008-07-29, 01:34 AM
I was unsure what Top Gear was so I googled it (naturally).
On the webpage from BBC they say that "you should never pay for tickets, they are available for free".
Now either it is NOT the BBC Top Gear (with the cars and the motors and Oyyy) or they bought it from someone who orders tickets, gets them for free and then sells them for fistfulls of money.

Nychta
2008-07-29, 04:10 AM
I think you should go, try to enjoy yourself, and mention that they didn't have to pay for it after the event.

Tom_Violence
2008-07-29, 05:12 AM
I went to WWI this month, which costed me a lot of lucre

Well, time machines are expensive. :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-29, 05:22 AM
I went to WWI this month
You went to werewolf 1? Wow...*jealous*

Lord Herman
2008-07-29, 05:24 AM

That changes things, of course. As I understand it, you do want the tickets; you're just not happy that your parents spent a lot of money on something they could have gotten for free.

So unless it's unreasonably hard to get those free tickets from the BBC, your parents were essentially swindled out of their money. I'd tell them that - do let them know you're happy about getting the ticket, but maybe they can get the money back or something. I don't know about the legality of reselling tickets, but it sounds down right criminal.

Cubey
2008-07-29, 01:22 PM
Yes, WWI is World War 1 and Werewolf 1 at the same time, and totally not Worldwide Invitational, a Blizzard convention.