PDA

View Full Version : Xenophobe

WNxHasoroth
2008-07-29, 11:07 AM
Hi there, I'm working on an original sci-fi story, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in the ideas I'm thinking about, just to gauge interest levels.

Now, you've probably seen the X-Files, and I saw it as a kid, and the idea of a "Syndicate" really appealed to me. Xenophobic conspiracies? How could I not like it? Throw in a healthy dose of my addiction to Warhammer 40k, the seeds of an idea were sown.

Now, with the release of the new X-Files movie, I went back and dug out my old bullet points list of what I was thinking about writing. So what do you think?:

A shadowy organization, extremely xenophobic
In the past, members of the "Shadowy Organization" have involved the KKK, the Nazis, using their genophobia as tools. Basically, they get their grunts from them.
All governments are aware of them, but they are not recognized, and are privately funded by an unseen "Patron"
The goal of this "Shadowy Organization" is the execution of Aliens, and protecting Earth from xeno influences
The story would involve a homophobic complete ********, recruited as a soldier for the "Shadowy Organization". He makes his way up the ranks, and is indoctrinated through hypno therapy/captured alien technology/MacGuffin to reforge his hatred towards aliens.
The book would detail his encounters with aliens, who, for the first time since the beginning of the Second World war have begun to land in groups, seemingly confirming fears that Aliens are really invading
However based through previously mentioned but generally considered unimportant pro-xeno movements, a schism breaks through the "Shadowy Organization" as Aliens are revealed as simple refugees, peacful, etc.
The twist, "Or are they?"

Apart from a spell check, this is still unchanged from 2002 when I was ten! I've already seen alot I'd change and smooth out but I'd like some input from the other frequent members of this board.

SurlySeraph
2008-07-29, 03:17 PM
It would be difficult to do this without making yourself come off as a racist, and in any event you would have to have a ton of Villain Protagonists. The concept is interesting, but tread lightly.

kamikasei
2008-07-29, 04:10 PM
It would be difficult to do this without making yourself come off as a racist

?

Certainly, if you write a book with racist protagonists you may be accused of racism yourself by some people. But this is the sort of thing you have to be able to tough out as an author.

The problems/questions I see with it are:
- why don't governments interfere with the organization?
- what are the aliens really about?

Stormpax
2008-08-02, 02:22 AM
I think that it would make a better comic. Also, who would be the main character? I like the idea, but it needs refining. :smallwink:

Jayngfet
2008-08-02, 02:35 AM
Interesting, are there multiple groups of aliens landing?

Occasional Sage
2008-08-04, 08:44 PM
1. Why do you mention your protagonist being homophobic (in my mind rather trite and easy with current politics) rather than any other in-species hatred?

2. I tend to dislike "shadowy international conspiracy" groups. How are they funded? What would lead the Patron to found such an organization? If you can make SPECTRE into a well-considered, internally consistent, and believable cabal you are more than halfway home in my mind.

H. Zee
2008-08-05, 02:12 AM
It would be a bad idea to write a book about how only racists are protecting the Earth from aliens. I'd get rid of the "Or are they?" twist, as the "They're not actually invading" should be enough of a twist just by itself. Make sure it's clear by the end that this 'racist organisation' has done more harm than good.

Otherwise your book will end up looking a bit like racist propaganda, and no publisher will touch it with a standard-issue ten-foot pole.