PDA

View Full Version : Robin in Batman3

Linkavitch
2008-07-30, 01:15 PM
Hey, guys. I was just wondering. You who have seen Batman begins remember the little blond kid Batman saves near the end of the movie? My brother and I were contemplating whether or not this kid could be the future Robin! I mean from Batman Begins to The Dark Knight, it's about 5 years, give or take. The kid looks like he's about 5-6 years old, so by the time he's 15-16, the next movie could have come around, and Batman needs a helper. Kinda makes sense, doesn't it? Well, the hair, darkening so much, maybe not, but I was pretty blond when i was younger, and my hair's pretty dark now...

konfeta
2008-07-30, 02:16 PM
Nolan despises Robin, so we aren't seeing him. He also added the excuse that Robin is currently a crib-bound child, so it wouldn't make sense continuity wise to have him in Batman 3.

In short, he exists, but he will stay the hell out of the third movie's way.

krossbow
2008-07-30, 02:42 PM
Robin sucks ass in the movies. he shouldn't be around.

Batman the animated series did robin the best; he was away from home most of the time, and generally just showed up to get kidnapped, or play support. No emo "I want to be the main superhero too!" crap that constantly comes up.

Wulfmaster
2008-07-31, 05:28 PM
Since bat girl is Gordon's daughter (in the comics and toon at least) and she is like 5 in this movie, I don't see it happening (since in most cases, Robin is younger than Bat Girl).

Also, if it's the blond haired kid I'm thinking of, that was Gordon's son, and unless Gordon changes his profession to circus performer in the next couple years, he can't be Robin.

sealemon
2008-07-31, 07:15 PM
simply put, Nolan has said no Robin...so, no. No Robin.

Gavin Sage
2008-07-31, 09:11 PM
Since bat girl is Gordon's daughter (in the comics and toon at least) and she is like 5 in this movie, I don't see it happening (since in most cases, Robin is younger than Bat Girl).

Barbara in the movie is older then five. I'd call her age at maybe 11-12 or so. A time span of five years would not be terribly hard to due, and would put her well into being a teenager. Thus it becomes possible.

The real bar is Nolan, and whether he wants to do it. If he dislikes Robin though then he probably considers the whole notion of kid sidekicks to be bad, thus won't put any in.

Tallis
2008-08-01, 12:35 AM
I think the time between the first and second movies was only supposed to be about a year. So if there is a robin, I doubt it'll be that kid. Though I do think he looked older than 5 or 6.

I tend to agree that there will be no robin, I just don't think he would fit into this version of Batman very well.

sikyon
2008-08-01, 08:35 AM
The only robin I've seen that can be adapted WELL to a movie is ASB&RTBW Robin.

Scorpina
2008-08-01, 01:36 PM
I'd like to see Robin in the new series, but as others have said, so long as Nolan is in charge we won't.

Frankly, though, I'd sooner they introduce Batgirl than Robin, but it's pretty obvious they won't, since they gave the part that would have been absolutely perfect for Barbara Gordon to a non-canonical son in TDK (grrrr!) and we just got to see the top of her head for a bit. Anger!

MrEdwardNigma
2008-08-01, 02:18 PM
Robin sucks ass in the movies. he shouldn't be around.

Robin always sucks ass. Anyways, I'm glad to hear Nolan hates him too, because I'd heard rumors he'd be in Batman 3 and that would just be dreadful were it true.

alexeduardo
2008-08-01, 02:39 PM
if nolan has any soul at all, he won't ruin his movies by adding a ****ing kid on a red and yellow suit

Scorpina
2008-08-01, 02:41 PM
...red and green, surely?

alexeduardo
2008-08-01, 02:46 PM
...red and green, surely?

red and yellow would be much cooler...

Jack_Banzai
2008-08-02, 03:24 PM
I wonder if Nolan would consider abandoning the Robin incarnation entirely and fast forward directly to Nightwing as a sidekick/protege.

snoopy13a
2008-08-02, 06:14 PM
How Batman is characterized runs in cycles. Robin fits in more with the more comedic and light-hearted portrayls as opposed to the more gritty portrayls. Anyway, you can't be too sure what is going to happen. Few people would have guessed that Tim Burton's Batman would have ended up as the Batman in the Batman and Robin movie.

Eita
2008-08-02, 06:40 PM
I'd like to see Robin in the new series, but as others have said, so long as Nolan is in charge we won't.

Frankly, though, I'd sooner they introduce Batgirl than Robin, but it's pretty obvious they won't, since they gave the part that would have been absolutely perfect for Barbara Gordon to a non-canonical son in TDK (grrrr!) and we just got to see the top of her head for a bit. Anger!

Actually, what happened to Gordon's son sets Barbara up perfectly for a future career with the Dark Knight. She envies him for doing what she could not in saving her brother, and idealizes him for the same reason.

Connington
2008-08-02, 09:22 PM
Actually, what happened to Gordon's son sets Barbara up perfectly for a future career with the Dark Knight. She envies him for doing what she could not in saving her brother, and idealizes him for the same reason.

Indeed. As we've seen with Heath Ledger as Joker, Nolan loves pop psychology explanations for his character's motivations. :smallwink:

Tallis
2008-08-02, 11:36 PM
How Batman is characterized runs in cycles. Robin fits in more with the more comedic and light-hearted portrayls as opposed to the more gritty portrayls. Anyway, you can't be too sure what is going to happen. Few people would have guessed that Tim Burton's Batman would have ended up as the Batman in the Batman and Robin movie.

But he only showed up after Burton was replaced.

Scorpina
2008-08-03, 02:01 PM
How Batman is characterized runs in cycles. Robin fits in more with the more comedic and light-hearted portrayls as opposed to the more gritty portrayls.

Yeah, a kids parents dying in front of him (and a paying audience). Sure is silly and not dark in the least...

Closet_Skeleton
2008-08-03, 02:29 PM
A lot of people don't know that in the original comics, Robin was introduced before Alfred.

So having a Robin around is closer to the original comics than having an Alfred around, but people who want a darker Batman rarely complain about Alfred.

Scorpina
2008-08-03, 02:31 PM
People, largely, don't want the original comics. They want the OMGDARKZ! comics Frank Miller did in the '80s. The original comics had Batman as more of a rip off of The Shadow than anything. Also, they had him shooting folk a lot. So, yeah.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-08-03, 06:13 PM
People, largely, don't want the original comics. They want the OMGDARKZ! comics Frank Miller did in the '80s. The original comics had Batman as more of a rip off of The Shadow than anything. Also, they had him shooting folk a lot. So, yeah.

It's true that they don't want the original comics, but they don't know that they don't want the original comics and will try and use the original comics as part of their arguement of why Batman should be the way they want it to be.

North
2008-08-03, 06:56 PM
Fun Fact. Marlon Wayons was considered to play Robin in Batman Forever.

sealemon
2008-08-05, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by snoopy13
How Batman is characterized runs in cycles. Robin fits in more with the more comedic and light-hearted portrayls as opposed to the more gritty portrayls.

Originally Posted by Scorpina

Ummm....Robin was in the "OMGDARKZ! comics Frank Miller did in the '80s". And she was a GIRL! Gasp.

Robin is just a workable character in the dark version of Batman as in the light-hearted...it's just that in the grim stories, the focus is more on the loss of Robin's naivety and innocence, or even his life (Death of Jason Todd).

For that matter, wiki "Batman The Cult" (I can't get the link to work right now) for another example of a dark graphic novel in the 80's (Arguable even DARKER than DKR as it features a brainwashed Batman machine gunning an innocent, as well as a decapitation). Robin is essential in this story.

I think just toning down the bright costume and the campy Robin-liners would work, even better would be going straight to Nightwing as was previously suggested.

But again, No Robin for B3.

Surrealistik
2008-08-05, 02:30 PM
Robin in Batman3

.......No.

turkishproverb
2008-08-05, 05:29 PM
I wonder if Nolan would consider abandoning the Robin incarnation entirely and fast forward directly to Nightwing as a sidekick/protege.

This woudl be horrible. Honestly this would practically repeat the "Batman forever/batman and robin" problem from he last set of movies.

In order to do it right, you have to be willing to let the audience hate batman.

Truth is, the movie would probably make the average moviegoer hate the film for reason's you don't expect (IE: Nothign to do with Arnie or Tommy Lee Jones)

The simple fact is that above all, this movie adds a new level to the crimes batman is committing, and one that moviegoer's aren't likely to enjoy.

Child endangerment. The simple fact is that robin, in almost any story where his presence wasn't reviled that involved the FIRST robin (**** Grayson) was almost invariably middle school aged at OLDEST.

Essentially, use of the character deals heavily with Bruce, having been near enough to the situation to find out quickly (both about the incident and the fact that they were killed in front of him), take custody of the boy, and proceed in possibly the single most misguided act of guardianship in history. In some desire to channel the boy's anger, he'd start training him from day 1 to be like him, someone whom having lost what was most important to him now attacks the shadows and backgrounds of the city. Alfred would obviously object, as little good as it did. So you'd end up focusing a whole lot on this relatively young child effectively being given guerrilla training.

Do you want me to go into more detail, or go further into the picture?

Masked Jedi
2008-08-05, 05:40 PM
They way they should do Robin is how he was done in Dark Victory, which is how he will be done in the movies since the Sale/Loeb books are the big sources these movies are based on. The exact opposite of Batman, a hyper, overactive kid who annoys Batman a lot.

10:51
2008-08-05, 07:00 PM
Turkish Proverb is dead on. Introducing a robin character is not only terribly awkward to the average movie goer, but doing right would be unnecessarily plot intensive. They would have to rework the basic premise a lot to make it fit in realistically anyway. Either way it would detract from batman's character, and i see the movie to witness batman's interaction with his arch rivals, not how some kid helps with that interaction. Unnecessary would be a good word to describe it.

I would buy bat girl before robin. I'm pretty sure that in the frank miller novels, robin was a girl anyway. At the end of the day though I'd rather see that screen time given to other villains and plot, like the scarecrow and such.

TheThan
2008-08-05, 08:52 PM
Batman works best without Robin.

The reason why Alfred is needed is because he’s the last tie Batman has to his family, or to what he would have become if his folks hadn’t been killed. Alfred is also Batman’s adviser, when he has a problem Alfred is always there to provide a wise proverb to help him through whatever is bothering him. Batman trusts Alfred more than anyone else in the world, and he would have it no other way.
Alfred is often times the voice of reason. When Batman starts going too far in his war on crime, Alfred brings him back from the brink, and keeps him from becoming the very thing he hates. Without Alfred, Batman would fall.

Robin is just a kid who has suffered the same tragedy as Bruce Wayne. Batman takes him under his wing (no pun intended…. Aww who am I kidding, pun intended) and teaches him how to fight crime. That’s about it, he’s a sidekick, nothing more. Where Alfred has a central and important role to Batman, Robin is just a secondary hanger on that is certainly not needed.

Lord Galen
2008-08-11, 04:06 AM
Fun Fact. Marlon Wayons was considered to play Robin in Batman Forever.

OMG I misread that first off and thought it read Batman instead of Robin.

That would've been soooo good. Almost as good as Martin Lawrence. I hate this world of movies without martin.

T-O-E
2008-08-16, 09:28 AM
Nolan despises Robin, so we aren't seeing him. He also added the excuse that Robin is currently a crib-bound child, so it wouldn't make sense continuity wise to have him in Batman 3.

In short, he exists, but he will stay the hell out of the third movie's way.

Like how the main-writer of spiderman 3 loathed the character of Venom?

Linkavitch
2008-08-16, 09:43 AM

Really? I didn't know that. huh. Good thing he listened to reason.:tongue:

kwanzaabot
2008-08-17, 07:00 AM

Explains the two minutes of screen time. :(

Anyway, when I first saw Batman Begins, I came to the same conclusion about the kid. But I also don't like Robin very much. The only time i'd enjoy Robin in a film is if they can justify his character convincingly without making the whole movie about him, and i'm not sure if they can do that.

Otempora
2008-08-17, 04:08 PM
Well, if anyone could do Robin right, Nolan could. Remember how everyone was joking about how "Brokeback Mountain" Ledger was going to be the Joker when it was first announced?

That being said, I'd rather not see Robin in the next film. Batgirl, on the other hand, could be pretty cool.

Resist77
2008-08-18, 12:27 AM
I vaguely remember hearing that the only things that Nolan vetoed outright were nipples on the batsuit and Robin
....although.... in batman returns, the little kid that batman gives his radio-gadget to is wearing a red shirt and green pants. hmmm:smallconfused:

Hzurr
2008-08-18, 01:26 PM
It entirely depends on how they do it. For it to be done well, Batman needs to be at a point where he needs a Robin (i.e., the situation that he was in when he got Tim Drake). A well written Robin is excellent, and gives the story depth, and reflects another side of Batman's personality/helps balance him from going crazy. A poorly written robin will be hated by fans, and beat to death by the Joker in the Middle East.

At this point, I strongly doubt that there will be a Robin because A) Nolan doesn't want one, and I'm pretty sure that after the sucess of TDK, studios will listen to what he says; and B) There isn't a need for a Robin in the story.

A few other things to remember are that there's no guarentee that there will be a third movie, because none of the actors or directors or even movie studios have even started negotiations yet. All the Batman 3 rumors are by people on the internet and in the media who really really want there to be one. It is a possibility that Nolan could simply say "Ok, I'm tired of doing these. I've said what I want to say, and now I'm done." With any luck, if he does say that, the studio will let him leave and let the series die, because if Spiderman 3 has taught us nothing else, it showed us that forcing directors and actors to do an aditional movie in a franchise because they're contractually obligated rather than because they want to is a recipe for disaster.

Also, some people have mentioned Frank Miller's Robin. While she wasn't horrible in DKR, things got pretty...awkward in the next book (I could never stand to read the entire thing, but IIRC, she gets knocked up by Bruce). Quite honestly, Frank Miller can't write female characters (because his idea of a strong female character is a prostitute. Seriously. Catwoman in Batman: Year One, Catwoman in DKR, every female character in Sin City and The Spirit. The man is a lonely comic book nerd who doesn't know how to write female characters). So yeah... avoid female characters by Frank Miller if ypossible (the one exception to this rule is Elektra, and Hollywood already proved that they don't know how to do a movie about her).

Jayngfet
2008-08-18, 03:36 PM
I'd like to see robin, but what I really want is McGuiness.