PDA

View Full Version : Technology in the Playground.

Mattarias, King.
2008-08-02, 01:03 AM
Hm, I don't know if I'm qualified to make an "in the Playground" thread.. It feels all official..

Ack, what? We're on the air?! I mean.. *ahem*

Yes, So, I assume all we playgrounders have both at least cursory knowledge of computers and game systems and other pieces of tech. I also assume we all have some questions concerning them that others can answer.

..I've also heard that assumptions are bad. Either way, yes, if you have any such questions, this is the thread to post 'em in. If you have any answers.. Well, you know what to do. :smallwink:

Area scanned. Battlefield set up. Ready..? Fight! Ask!

...To start this off, I'll submit my own question. How can I transfer a program from one computer to another, sans disks, if both computers are on the same network?

thubby
2008-08-02, 01:07 AM
depending on the file, you could email it to yourself.

Mattarias, King.
2008-08-02, 01:11 AM
depending on the file, you could email it to yourself.

Well, the program in question is Flash.. :smallconfused: And I don't think you can e-mail a program in pieces.. I suck at puzzles..

I, uh.. lost the disks.. >.>;

thubby
2008-08-02, 01:28 AM
you could probably copy the file to a blank disc then install it from there. though you might get blocked by anti-piracy software.
I'm sure there's a way to do what you want more directly, i just don't know how.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-02, 02:15 AM
...To start this off, I'll submit my own question. How can I transfer a program from one computer to another, sans disks, if both computers are on the same network?

If both computer are on the same netowrk, couldn't you map a kind of "Shared drive" between them and move the program there?
Alternativly, since the networked computers are already linked, wouldn't it be possible to, sans disks or USB cables, just open up the other computer's drive and drop the program in question in? Like you would copy it to a CD?

I'm far from a geek or guru, but these are the two most immediate answers which pop up in my mind.

Vaynor
2008-08-02, 02:20 AM
I don't know how it works for you, but on my mac there's something like a "drop box" in which you can put files into and take them out again on a different computer on the same network.

Rawhide
2008-08-02, 03:19 AM

Short answer, you can't take an installed program from one computer to another (well most installed programs anyway). When installing, the program adds files to the system and edits the registry, simply copying the program directory will not work. You will need the installation files.

Additionally, in the case of Flash, if you are talking about the full editing version, you will need to uninstall it first and use the Adobe system to transfer the license to the other computer, then install it there.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-02, 03:21 AM
Rawhide will kill this thread with his instant answerings with his uber-knowledge of technology.

thubby
2008-08-02, 02:42 PM
Rawhide will kill this thread with his instant answerings with his uber-knowledge of technology.

if I've learned anything about computers, it's that they will always cause people problems

Jibar
2008-08-02, 02:48 PM
My warning to all concerning technology:

Don't trust the motherbooping toasters.

They're tricky little buggers who are working against you.
Beeping at your with hatred in their voice.
Conspiring with the oven so that you'll starve to death.
God damn toaster.
I can't even get rid of you before you've got everybody else on your side and soon as you're dead, guess who'll be in trouble? Me.
Hell. For all I know you've become evil enough to access the internet and reading all this.
I'M GUNNING FOR YOU TOASTER! I'MA GUNNING FOR YOU!

Rawhide
2008-08-02, 06:31 PM
My warning to all concerning technology:

Don't trust the motherbooping toasters.

They're tricky little buggers who are working against you.
Beeping at your with hatred in their voice.
Conspiring with the oven so that you'll starve to death.
God damn toaster.
I can't even get rid of you before you've got everybody else on your side and soon as you're dead, guess who'll be in trouble? Me.
Hell. For all I know you've become evil enough to access the internet and reading all this.
I'M GUNNING FOR YOU TOASTER! I'MA GUNNING FOR YOU!

Would you like some toast? (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec) How about now? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLm6oTCFcxQ&NR=1)

Mattarias, King.
2008-08-02, 06:37 PM
Short answer, you can't take an installed program from one computer to another (well most installed programs anyway). When installing, the program adds files to the system and edits the registry, simply copying the program directory will not work. You will need the installation files.

Additionally, in the case of Flash, if you are talking about the full editing version, you will need to uninstall it first and use the Adobe system to transfer the license to the other computer, then install it there.

:\ Hm, I see... Yeah, looks like that's gonna be problematic, then.. What exactly do you mean by "uninstall it first and use the Adobe system to transfer the license to the other computer, then install it there."? If I uninstall it, the program's gone, non..?

Jibar- Fortunately, I've been able to turn my toaster and toaster oven against themselves, saving me in kinda the same way the blood war saves the upper planes from- Oh gods, what was that?

Rawhide
2008-08-02, 06:45 PM
You will need to deactivate (http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403235#notetwo) the old copy first.

Mattarias, King.
2008-08-02, 07:02 PM
You will need to deactivate (http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403235#notetwo) the old copy first.

Phew, I think they're gone...

Hm, I see.. So I deactivate it on my older computer (with vista. Ugh..), transfer the files here, then use that same link to reactivate them? ..Or am I still screwed sans the disks?

Rawhide
2008-08-02, 07:16 PM
You still need the installer. You may be in luck and be able to download and activate a trial version (https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=flash&promoid=BONQS) from adobe.

Mattarias, King.
2008-08-02, 07:20 PM
You still need the installer. You may be in luck and be able to download and activate a trial version (https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=flash&promoid=BONQS) from adobe.

Hm, Ok then. Thanks. I'll try it out.

So... anyone else have any tech questions?

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-02, 08:29 PM
Ok nice thread. I have a question, and probally a simple one at that.

I just recently got a new computer and would like to transfer my iTunes music files in a fashion that wont take an eternity. As far as I can tell, my only hope is to use crap-loads of audio disks and copy them onto them.

But I'm sure theres a faster way. Please tell me theres a faster way...

Mattarias, King.
2008-08-02, 10:28 PM

I just recently got a new computer and would like to transfer my iTunes music files in a fashion that wont take an eternity. As far as I can tell, my only hope is to use crap-loads of audio disks and copy them onto them.

Uh, depends just how many you have, I guess. You can guy a 2 gig flash drive for about 20 bucks or so nowadays. Just pop it in, drag your songs into it, pop it out, then dump them into your new computer. Voila.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-03, 04:43 PM

USB Cables.

Zanthur
2008-08-04, 06:59 PM
I'm a computer geek so it sounds easier to me that it would to you, but what you could do is just take the old hard drive out, put it in the new computer, transfer the files, then put your old hard drive back in the old computer. IF that is not something you know how to do, what I would do is either a flash drive (as previously mentioned) or burn them onto DVD's. However, the DVD option is quite time consuming. My best suggestion is to buy an external hard drive and backup your music on it regularly. Thats what I do. That way, in case of a computer malfunction, your music is safe. I've got almost 200GB of music, tv shows and movies backed up on my external drive. Had it not been for that, every time I decided to reformat, I would have to figure out something to do with all my information. Usually that was burning it to a CD or DVD (which like I said can take a while).