PDA

View Full Version : The shackled city - chapter 1, Life's bazaar

Pages : [1] 2

insecure
2008-08-04, 07:17 AM
A wretched drizzle falls from the ash-gray sky, hitting the ground with a constant dripping sound. The crowded, rain-slicked buildings seem especially bleak this evening, hunched together beneath the gloomy skies, all of them seems darker than normal. A few lights burn in their windows, but mostly their shutters have been closed for the night, and with several of the lanterns that lights the street up extinguished by the rain that seems to creep through every single little crack in them, the streets are somewhat dark. The scent of chimney smoke fills the air, and the din of water trundles from the rooftops, splashing into dark alleys and turning street gutters into rivulets. In general, people tend to stay inside this evening, and as a result of that, you've only met a small handful of city-guards, all of them in a bad, depressive mood. All of the trees you've seen has lost their leaves, although it's only the first day of autumn. Only in the inns and taverns are there enough light to light the street up, but the music that comes out from them seems a bit sadder than normal.

You don't know how you ended up together. Walking down the lonely street, some of you with a purpose, some of you without, your little group meets nobody except some city-guards, none of them bothered to talk to you. After changing direction once more, you suddenly find yourself in a almost pitch-black alley, only the moon's wicked light makes you able to see something at all.

OOC
There's nothing magical in this, it's just a somewhat depressive evening.:smalltongue: Well, talk with each other, and say when you're done introducing, so I can move the plot on.

Ascension
2008-08-04, 01:32 PM
Pindinbar trudged through the dark streets of the city on foot, leading his pony behind him. He would have liked to have ridden rather than walked, but at the dawn of the world the gods had seen fit to forge gnomes with better night vision than ponies, and he certainly wasn't going to question their judgment.

He noticed that he was not alone in the street, and he knew that the others must know of his presence as well, even if their eyes are unaccustomed to the dark, due to the sound of his mount's hooves on the cobblestones. He wondered if his chance companions might know of someplace in the city he might find a place to rest and stable the war pony his mentor had gifted unto him.

"Excuse me," he said, addressing no particular individual, but rather petitioning the entire group, "You wouldn't happen to know of a trustworthy inn where a poor gnome could secure a night's lodging for himself and his pony, would you?"

He gestured to his mount and continued, "Peter and I will probably be on our way again in the morning, but I fear the hour has grown too late to continue our journey this night."

mdsoze
2008-08-04, 05:50 PM
Trocken

The dwarf was dressed in brown and black. Well, that was the natural color of the clothes. He had a strong smell to him that drove you back, and even if the moon hadn't been out, everyone would have known exactly where he was. He navigated the streets easily in the night as during the day, and felt comfortable with the dark.

Hearing the gnome behind him speak, he whirls around, and his left hand flies to an axe handle. A second later, he determines that there is no threat, and so he relaxes visibly.

A trustworthy inn? What's a fellow like you looking for a trustworthy inn when there's three brothels around the corner? They've probably even got some mares for your friend there.

He laughs heartily for a good 30 seconds, not paying much attention to anyone, and then grins.

Got to have some jokes when you can. I don't know if it's trustworthy, but there's a place a few blocks from here where I've been hanging my hat. Staying in the common room, but it seems I always get plenty of space.

wxdruid
2008-08-04, 05:57 PM
Thecla

Thecla stops to watch the two, she's been out looking for either the homeless to help, or thieves to teach a lesson to. She's carrying her mace, dark streets are not always safe for lone people.

Once the dwarf finishes, she says, Why would you refer him to a brothel? At an inn he'd get what he needed, and not some so called extras that cost even more. I'm sure the Temple would know where a trustworthy inn is around here.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-04, 07:48 PM
Moon
Like a child following a parade through town, the group seems to have picked up a hanger-on. Making hardly any sound at all, a girl, young and hardly taller than the boisterous dwarf, follows the group, carrying a parasol against the rain.

She dips the parasol back for a moment, and now all those with decent sight can see what an incongruous sight the follower is. She looks young; perhaps 14 or 15 by human standards, and dressed in a strange mixture of women's finery and street clothes. She looks from side to side.
Okay, pretty sure I lost them. They didn't get a real good look at me, and they won't look for long in the rain. Still, better hang out with some armed people...
As she half-turns to look behind, a watcher might be able to note the slim shine of a rapier resting against well-worn breeches, as well as pick out a small case of crossbow quarrels hanging across the rain-stained silk blouse she wears. Turning back to the group, the newcomer smiles.
"I know a place, 'cuz I'm from here," she offers, hopefully.
"And it ain't far either. Food's cheap and good, um," She pauses, looking at the dwarf, "And...I know the general place you'd go to look. You know, for that." She makes a face, twirling the parasol absently as she addresses the group at large again.
"So whaddaya say? My name is Moon, and I'll be your guide tonight?"

The Bushranger
2008-08-04, 07:58 PM
Dan'yel

On the edge of a group stands a young man with darkish sandy brown hair and glasses, who has been quietly listening in up to this point.
I also am new to the area. Any advice and guidance on where to stay would be appreciated, ma'am.
On the ground behind the figure that's clad in what appears to be desert robes, a rat scuffles about.

wxdruid
2008-08-04, 08:09 PM
Thecla

Thecla looks over the assortment of individuals that she's suddenly found herself with. Most of all, she looks over the young seeming elf, wondering why she's on the street. She considers both of the offers, it seems it's either an offer of a shady establishment, or a place where the young elf may get a kick back for bringing in customers. She mentally sighs and replies to both of them, I think I'd prefer to check at the Temple first, they'd know of a good place for you to stay.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-04, 08:32 PM
Moon
Moon sighs, blowing a tendril of wet reddish hair away from her face.
"Okay, whatever. Just so long as it doesn't smell like incense. Let's just get out of the rain, huh?"
She returns Thecla's appraising look with one of her own.
Mace plus kind of haughty plus churchy. Huh. On the other hand, maybe that's exactly who I need to hang around right about now...

Ascension
2008-08-04, 08:59 PM
"All I need is some assurance I won't be robbed while I rest, nothing more," the gnome says, "I would just sleep on the street if I weren't worried about Peter here."

Turning to the human girl, he asks, "Whose temple do you speak of? I serve the Lady Ehlonna myself, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I were to seek aid at the house of a similarly minded god."

mdsoze
2008-08-04, 09:58 PM
Trocken

Moon, nice to meet ya. I'm Trocken, and I don't pay for that. Well, I tried to once, but she gave my money back and told me to get out. Then she hit me with a stick. And there are people who'll do that for free all over. Anyways, I'd love to have you show me around. Maybe I can find a better place to stay than that common room down the road.

The Bushranger
2008-08-04, 10:04 PM
Dan'yel

My name is Dan'yel, and it's a pleasure to meet you miss. And I agree that 'any port in a storm' sounds pretty good right around now.

SoD
2008-08-05, 12:32 AM
Seraphina

"Right now, I'd settle for almost anywhere...just as long as it's safe, and we won't have anyone breathing down our necks..." says a quiet voice, which, until now, had belonged to an unoticed body trailing along in the shadows. Trailing along, because when you're in a group, and people are looking for an individual...groups aren't noticed. A young, slightly halfling inhabits the body, looking a bit nervous, not to mention wet to the bone.

Seraphina tries to not look hugely interested in Thecla's answer to the gnome, as she trails along..

Mace, and 'The' church...this doesn't look good...

wxdruid
2008-08-05, 10:02 AM
Thecla

Thecla looks over the variety of people that seem to need a reliable place to stay. She thinks hard over what she knows since they probably don't want to sleep at a Temple, and remembers one that should work for everyone that is interested, but first things first, she needs to be polite and introduce herself. Um, yes, I'm Thecla, a cleric of St Cuthbert. Short and to the point.

Instead of tromping through the rain to multiple places. There is a popular place called the Drunken Morkoth Inn. They are generally reliable and it is usually the most popular. They have reasonable rates and no 'extras' to worry about. Or there's always the Temple where I'm currently staying, but they don't feed you, only offer you a roof over your head.

mdsoze
2008-08-05, 10:24 AM
Trocken

No offense, Lady Priestess, but I'm guessing they don't have ale at your church. That means I vote for the Morkoth. I'm thirsty after a long day, and definitely need a meal.

As if on cue, his stomach rumbles entirely too loudly.

The Bushranger
2008-08-05, 01:25 PM
Dan'yel

While the temple might well be a safer place to stay, I'm afraid I'm in need of some nourishment as well. So, for better or for worse, I have to suggest the inn as well.

The rat, meanwhile, snuffles about in a pile of trash.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-05, 04:46 PM
Moon
The elf's eyes light up at the mention of the Drunken Morkoth, and now you can see that one of her eyes is a bright pale blue, and the other much darker.
"Ooh, that's a good place. There's always interesting people there, and sometimes they'll even serve me there. I can totally lead you guys there; how about it?"
She points down the street, and this in turn reveals a pair of weathered white gloves in the style of nobles on her arms. "C'mon, I can use the company!"

mdsoze
2008-08-05, 06:33 PM
Trocken

Sure. I'll even buy the first round of ale. You coming with us, Lady Priestess?

wxdruid
2008-08-05, 06:37 PM
Thecla

Yes...to make sure you all make it there safely. I hate to think of any of you getting jumped out here in the dark. She heads off, leading the way to the Drunken Morkoth. She keeps looking back to be sure no one has gotten lost along the way.

Once there, she'll open the door for everyone to troop in on inside.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-05, 06:51 PM
Moon
Instant suspicion courses through Moon's mind, and with a snap she closes her parasol and she backs a little away.
Who talks like that? NO ONE talks like that! 'make sure nothing happens to you,' 'hate to think of you getting jumped here in the dark.' Even Broke-Face Noz doesn't talk like that to marks. "
Then Moon pauses, looking a little more closely at Thecla.
God. She really means it!
With rather exaggerated nonchalance, Moon walks along after the group.

Ascension
2008-08-05, 06:57 PM
Pindinbar would really rather stay the night in the temple, but he sees that the rest of the group seems to favor the inn. It's been a long time since his last encounter with civilized folk, and he feels like cherishing their company a little longer, so he agrees to go along with the crowd. At least they're not total strangers.

"The name's Suttles, Pindinbar Suttles... and I've already introduced you to Peter. I guess if the rest of you are going to stay at the inn I might as well tag along... no offense to your temple, Miss Thecla, it's just been a while since I last enjoyed the company of... well, they're not friends yet, but I guess that's just a matter of time."

The Bushranger
2008-08-05, 07:27 PM
Dan'yel

He nods to Thecla. Thank you, ma'am. I'd like to think that anyone who jumped me might find themselves surprised, however company is always appreciated, especially when one can learn new things from them.

insecure
2008-08-05, 08:02 PM
Who says you just make it to the inn safely.:smalltongue:

While walking towards the Drunken Morkoth inn, down the wet and dark streets, you suddenly hear a plaintive cry for help slicing through the constant sound of raindrops hitting the ground, from a nearby alley. Shortly after, a man yells at someone, "Stop screaming! We don't want to awaken people, do we?"

After hearing a loud "bump" and a muffled cry, another voice growls, "And stay away from the orphanage, you got that?"

I don't hope this annoys you too much, but you moved on rather quick.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-05, 08:07 PM
Moon
Moon knows when to leave well enough alone. She makes no indication of having heard the noises from the alley, although she does hook her parasol over one shoulder while she rummages around in the small satchel on her back...

wxdruid
2008-08-05, 08:14 PM
Thecla

Thecla is quite the opposite. She runs right down the alley, mace raised and ready to beat some heads in.

((no worries, Thecla loves to beat up thieves and muggers))

edit: Init (1d20=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1688435/)

Ascension
2008-08-05, 08:22 PM
Pindinbar's hand flies to his bow. He has already nocked an arrow by the time he remembers that he's in the city, and in the city people don't just go around brandishing weapons. The readied bow might even make him look like the perpetrator...

*But would the Goddess let that stop her from helping a person in need? And Miss Thecla's got a mace out...*

"What seems to be the problem?" he shouts, releasing Peter's reins and walking into the darkness of the alley.

Initiative [roll0]

insecure
2008-08-05, 08:42 PM
Thecla and Pindinbar:
You can see four men. Two of the men, 30 feet down the street, their faces painted half black, half white, are assaulting a third man who lies face down on the wet cobblestones. One of the attackers lifts the victim by the hood of his blue cloak and thrusts him against a wall, while the other attacker growls, "I'm saying it once more; stay away from the orphanage."The fourth man is standing 50 feet down the street and is facing away from you. It looks like the fourth man is watching for something. Not even one of them notices you.

Everyone:
Roll initiative.

wxdruid
2008-08-05, 08:53 PM
Thecla

Thecla yells, Stop in the name of St Cuthbert! Yes...she means it, being outnumbered doesn't scare her in the least. When she gets close enough, she swings her mace at the man who's talking, not holding anything back.

attack (1d20 4=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1688452/)
damage (1d8 3=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1688454/)

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-05, 08:57 PM
Moon
Moon steps smartly to the side of the alley, keeping low.

Ascension
2008-08-05, 09:00 PM
((OOC: Not that I don't appreciate Thecla's enthusiasm, but shouldn't we wait until we've all rolled initiative and have determined proper order before we act?

...if we can go ahead, Pindinbar's got an arrow with that fourth guy in the back's name on it. He won't want to risk hitting the victim (no precise shot yet, so penalties for firing into melee) and besides, the fourth guy is in a good position to escape if he's not dealt with promptly.))

insecure
2008-08-05, 09:20 PM
OOC:

((OOC: Not that I don't appreciate Thecla's enthusiasm, but shouldn't we wait until we've all rolled initiative and have determined proper order before we act?

I would like that, yes. It keeps things easier. As an alternative, you can post a rough description of what you would like to do, and then i will roll initiative and attack/damage for you, and post what happens:

Example:
Player A and B during a surprise round, using this encounter as an example.

Player A says he wants to shoot the man that is talking with his crossbow.
Player B wants to charge the guy who's facing away from the rest of the group.

My post would then look like this:
<Initiative Rolls>
<Attack rolls>
<Damage rolls>
Player A shoots at the talking man, but his target managed to spot the arrow coming towards him just before it hits him. With a quick dodge, the arrow hits he wall, and the man draws his sword.
Player B charges the man who faces away, and with a mighty blow, the man doesn't notice the axe before it has capped off his head from the rest of his body.

Make a spot check, everyone.

mdsoze
2008-08-06, 12:05 AM
Trocken

Trocken charges down the alley, grabbing a dwarven axe with his left hand.

Initiative_: 1D20+3 = [11]+3 = 14
(http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=5934)

Spot_: 1D20 = [16] = 16
(http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=5935)

Will post combat action once init order and spot check is resolved.

The Bushranger
2008-08-06, 12:17 AM
Dan'yel

Dan'yel is a step behind in turning to investigate, but then hurries over with the others.

His friend the rat scurries to the top of a pile of trash and watches, nose twitching.

Initative: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Will post an action once I know the results of these...

SoD
2008-08-06, 02:26 AM
Seraphina

Curses! A Cuthbert! but her worries were swiftly pushed out of her mind, as the situation occured.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Dashing up, Seraphina dives behind anything 'dive behind-able', grabbing her hand-crossbow from her side, already loaded, and fires it at any opponant nearby who hadn't noticed her.

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

insecure
2008-08-07, 08:04 PM
You can all see four men. Two of the men, 30 feet down the street, their faces painted half black, half white, are assaulting a third man who lies face down on the wet cobblestones. One of the attackers lifts the victim by the hood of his blue cloak and thrusts him against a wall, while the other attacker growls, "I'm saying it once more; stay away from the orphanage."The fourth man is standing 50 feet down the street and is facing away from you. It looks like the fourth man is watching for something. Not even one of them notices you.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-07, 08:17 PM
Moon
In the privacy of her own head, Moon utters a series of very unladylike things.
Did I screw up THAT badly? Crap crap crap
In her hiding-place, The elf stays as still and silent as she can.

mdsoze
2008-08-07, 11:23 PM
Trocken

It's three against one down there. That doesn't seem sporting to me! Well, unless I'm the one.

Trocken moves forward, axe in his left hand, and looking menacing.

The Bushranger
2008-08-07, 11:33 PM
Dan'yel

Dan'yel notices something out of the corner of his eye, and glances up.
Hmmm, an observer on the rooftop...
He returns his attention to the scene before him.
I agree, things hardly seem fair here. Of course they're probably not fair now either, really.
He holds his quarterstaff in what he hopes is a menacing position.
Perhaps you should explain yourselves.

Casts Mage Armor on self.
Intimidate check: [roll0]

insecure
2008-08-10, 04:47 PM
As Thecla and Trocken moves down the alley, Dan'yel gets contact with one of the thugs, and you can all see the terrified look in his eyes.

Umm, hey?
His eyes flicker between you and the victim of their assault.
This is just nothing, y'know, it happens, right?

The other attacker turns around,
That's right, we've done nothing, he just where at the wrong place.

The first thug seems to be a little more confident now, but not much more,
Yeah, you heard that Derran said, bugger off!

---------

Meanwhile, Seraphina unlocks and shots her hand crossbow in one single, fluid move. Not waiting to see if it hits or not, she runs towards a nearby pile of crates, and dives down behind it, nearly crashing into Moon who also hides.

The thug that, apparently, is named Derran doesn't spot the bolt before it's too late, and with a cry of pain, it digs deep into his right leg.

---------

Pindinbar takes aim, and with an excellent shot, the arrow flies in a straight line towards the last thug, hitting him in his back.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-10, 05:11 PM
Moon
Moon nudges the halfling with her damp parasol.
"More the merrier, I guess," she whispers. "Did you see that person on the roof?"
With a glance at the roof, Moon watches the scuffle unfold a little uneasily, rubbing the stock of the crossbow in her hand with a long, gloved finger.
As before, she remains hidden, prepared to fire at anyone who attacks her new friends.

mdsoze
2008-08-10, 09:12 PM
Trocken

Trocken moves forward, holding an axe in his left hand, and attacks a thug (I believe there is one for him to attack).

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

The Bushranger
2008-08-10, 10:20 PM
Dan'yel

Noticing that the three closest thugs are either down or rather occupied by the others, Dan'yel targets the fourth and launches a Magic Missile at him.

Mage Armour active

Magic Missile
Auto hit
Damage: [roll0]

SoD
2008-08-11, 02:08 AM
Seraphina

A worried look on her face, several thoughts were flying through her mind, all at once:
Oh, gods, oh, gods, I just shot at another man!
He deserved it, beating up a defenseless man like that! I hope I hit the bugger!

"One on the roof? I'm on it." she says, before quickly regretting her hastey words, but, nevertheless grabs another bolts, fits it into the crossbow and fires it off at the man on the roof.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Not sure if I was hidden well enough for another sneak attack, but just in case, it's there.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-11, 08:27 PM
Moon
In the darkness, Moon blanches, and then with a glare she whacks the halfling on the shoulder with her parasol.
"Hey! Quit shooting people!" she hisses, "And especially don't shoot at the Last Breath!"

wxdruid
2008-08-11, 08:56 PM
Thecla

Thecla will do her best to look menacing. She already has more muscles than brains...

And she may, or may not succeed with this roll. Intimidate (1d20-1=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1695124/)

Nevertheless, she stares at the thugs with her mace raised threateningly. Leave. Him (or Her). Alone. Now. I'll give you one brief moment to book it on out of here. NOW!

insecure
2008-08-13, 03:46 PM
As Trocken move forward, he stumbles a bit, and the swing that could have been a devastating blow, ends up hitting the wall instead of the thug. The thug looks down at his body, wondering how fatal that swing could have been, and falls down on his knees immediately, begging for his life.

--------

Dan'yel's lips form the arcane words that need to be said to cast the spell, like if he had done it a thousand times before, all while moving her hands in complicated patterns. For all this, a ball of blue, pulsing pure arcane force appears before him, and with a single move of the hand, it flies straight toward the person longest away.
The thug standing longest away from you reaches out for the place on his back where the arrow had hit him, not expecting that same place to be hit by a ball of pure force right after the arrow hit him. He falls down on the wet cobblestones, but quickly stands up again, clearly wounded.

--------

The woman on the roof wasn't expecting anyone to shoot at her, and as a result of that, she got a somewhat big shock then the crossbow bolt passing by her in an arms reach, fired by Seraphina, hits a crate behind her with a loud "Thud".

--------

Thecla didn't know that the rain had done to her hair, making it look somewhat ridiculous.
As the thugs beating up the man in the blue robe turns to face Thecla, they can only chuckle at the sight of her appearance.
However, as Thecla gets closer at the victim, Thecla suddenly recognizes the man as Ruphus, an apprentice cleric of St. Cuthbert, working for the church and sent to investigate something at the orphanage of Cauldron.

--------

As one of the thugs falls down on his knees, the other thug that have been assaulting the man, grabs and draws his sword in a quick move. He suddenly lashes out for the dwarf that nearly killed his friend, with an angry look on his face
Take that!

The last thug also draws his sword, and charges Thecla, determined to bring her down as soon as possible.

--------

The victim, who suddenly finds both her attackers rather occupied with something else, grabs the opportunity to get away.

After getting up beside you, he mumbles some words, finishes of with some hand moves, and a dim light that both seems to protect him and trap him appears.
He smiles at you, That should let me out of harm's way for a while.

insecure
2008-08-13, 03:50 PM
((Forgot the attack rolls *Facepalm*.:smallredface:))

Rolls for attacks and damage:
Attack at Trocken:

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage if hit: [roll1]

Attack at Thecla:

Attack roll: [roll2]
Damage if hit: [roll3]

Ascension
2008-08-13, 05:06 PM
"May the Lady of the Forests strike you down, you ruffians!" Pindinbar shouts.

He draws a bead on the distant (and wounded) man again and lets another arrow fly.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

mdsoze
2008-08-13, 05:25 PM
Trocken

Angry beyond belief, Trocken strikes at the man who attacked him.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-13, 05:29 PM
Moon
Moon narrows her eyes as the men assault Trocken and Thecla.
Okay, Dwarf on the one hand, preachy lady on the other.
In the end, there really isn't a choice, and Moon raises her other hand almost languidly, lining up a shot from the shadows at the knee of the ruffian charging Thecla...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

The Bushranger
2008-08-13, 08:25 PM
Dan'yel

Dan'yel takes a step back, selects the thug charging for Theckla, and lets fly with his most powerful spell...

...which is Magic Missile. :smalltongue:
Auto hit.
Damage: [roll0]

Mage Armor is still active.

SoD
2008-08-17, 05:42 AM
Seraphina

No more shooting? Thank the gods...

Seraphina tries to get closer to the thug assaulting Trocken, trying to remain unseen.

Double move at half speed=20 foot movement. [roll0]
[roll1]

wxdruid
2008-08-17, 02:29 PM
Thecla

Thecla has that split second of recognition...What the ? before she's under attack by the sword wielding maniac. She defends herself with her mace and then swings at him, aiming to seriously dent something in the process.

His attack doesn't hit her.

Her attack, attack (1d20+4=24), damage 1d8+3=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1697106/) (possible crit)

Crit check (1d20+4=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1697111/)

if confirmed, damage is x2, so my second damage roll. Extra damage from crit (1d8 3=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1697115/)

I apologize for the late post, I've been busy at GenCon08

insecure
2008-08-19, 03:00 PM
While Trocken takes his man down with a powerful blow, both pindinbar's and Moon's attacks hit the thug charging Thecla, and not realizing the man is already dead, Thecla follows up with an attack, hitting him in solar plexus with a deadly blow, that would have killed him even if Moon's and Pindinbar's attacks weren't successful.

-------

The begging thug only looks even more terrified than before, looking desperately for somewhere to hide, but as there aren't any places to run to, he just waits for something to happen.

-------

Suddenly, a voice addresses you from a rooftop,
Well done! But the cleric lives because we wish it so, not because of your misplaced bravado.
The woman on the rooftop then points her finger at the half-beaten man, apparently a cleric,
Take these words back to your temple, priest! The children are lost and no longer St. Cuthberts concern.

And with a sudden turn-around, the woman, in a dark leather armor and wearing a cloak her face painted half-black, half-white, runs of into the night.
(Dun dun duuunn!:smalltongue:)

-------

The cleric, Ruphus, looks around, analyzing the situation, and then asks,
Well, thanks! Thank you! That was just in the right time you came! I... I simply can't defend myself very well, I need to train some more... I shouldn't have needed your help.
His eyes flashes like if he just got struck with sudden insight,
Aren't you Thecla? A cleric of St. Cuthbert, like me? The church should rank you higher, you're made of a something that I am not...
That was, I don't know what to say, helpful? I can't thank you all enough!

His blue robe, that covers most of his body, seems dirty and his grey eyes tired, but it don't looks like he's badly wounded. His face's features are mild and smooth, only disturbed by a slight hint of a stubble, and he must be somewhere in the twenties.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-19, 03:49 PM
Moon
The immediate bloodshed over, Moon straightens up and opens her parasol again. The unremitting rain had already taken its toll on her gloves and her reddish hair was plastered to her small head, but nevertheless.

As the parasol goes up...there's no longer a crossbow in Moon's hand, almost as if there never was. The elf walks slowly to where this...'Rufus' lies on the ground.
She tilts her head to one side, trying to think if she's met him before... In the dark, her pale eyes glitter.

[roll0]

The Bushranger
2008-08-19, 03:56 PM
Dan'yel

We were glad to help, sir. Do you know who those people were and what they wanted you for?

The rat scampers down off its trash-pile perch and starts snuffing around behind the sorcerer.

wxdruid
2008-08-19, 04:23 PM
Thecla

Thecla feels like slapping him, to get him out of his subservience, but...she doesn't. Instead she says, Yes, I'm Thecla, cleric of St Cuthbert. Please...won't you stand up? None of my new companions will hurt you.

She leans closer, wary of unfriendly listening ears, Are you going straight back to the Temple? I was going with these people to the Drunken Morkoth. I can divert if you need someone to walk back with you.

Ascension
2008-08-19, 06:35 PM
Pindinbar pauses to collect Peter before checking on the beaten man.

"You said something about an orphanage?" he says, half a statement, half a question.

"Forget the inn, we should get over there immediately. The children might be in danger. Would one of you clerics be so kind as to lead the way?"

Though Pindinbar's voice remains calm, a controlled fury glints in his eyes. He won't stand by idly while children are in danger.

mdsoze
2008-08-19, 07:00 PM
Trocken

Glad we could save you, sir. Now, if you don't mind... I have this nasty cut in my leg.

Trocken tries to lift his left leg, but his quadricep is deeply slashed, so he only legs it off the ground a bit.

I could use some healing.

SoD
2008-08-20, 07:17 AM
Seraphina

At the mention of the church of St. Cuthbert, Seraphina's eyes shoot open in fear, as she puts her crossbow away. But one fact drew her attention away from her own predicement: "What would these thugs want with children?" she wonders to herself.

Seraphina wanders over to Moon, and tugs at her sleeve, and wispers to her: "Excuse me, miss. Could you please ask the cleric if he knows why the thugs kidnapped the children?"

wxdruid
2008-08-22, 05:01 PM
Thecla

Thecla will spare a moment to heal Trocken, after all, he needs to be able to walk if they were going to walk to the Temple. She wasn't going to carry him.

Cure Light Wounds [roll0] Or...perhaps she will be...

She turns to the others, I really think we should wait to talk about it til we get to the Temple. She turns back to Ruphus, Are you ready to travel? as she looks him over for any obvious wounds.

Ascension
2008-08-22, 05:27 PM
Pindinbar frowns.

"We can't afford to waste time while those children could be in danger! Escort him back to the temple if you must, but first tell me where this orphanage can be found."

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-22, 05:59 PM
Moon
Moon watches the ongoings with an elfin smile on her lips. New friends were always interesting, but usually not this interesting.
"Or, you know, we could ask him what that was about. Before you go off all half-cocked."
She twirls her wet parasol lightly, sending heavy drops of water spinning in all directions.
"So...Ya wanna tell us what that was all about? I love secrets."

Ascension
2008-08-22, 06:54 PM
"What's there to know?" Pindinbar asks exasperatedly, "Innocent children are in danger and the longer we spend talking the closer they come to death or worse. Look, I know predators. These people may be human, but they're predators all the same. You don't try to reason with a mountain lion or discuss a dire bear's motives. You have two choices in dealing with predators... run from them or kill them... and these orphans don't have the luxury of running."

The gnome pauses to mount his steed.

"Now, let's ride!"

The Bushranger
2008-08-22, 08:08 PM
Dan'yel shakes his head a little at the gnome's eagerness to ride off.
While I completely agree that time is not to be wasted, I also have to say that I agree we shouldn't just go charging off without a better idea of what we might be facing. So whether we learn it here or at the temple, we do need to find out more before doing anything.

mdsoze
2008-08-23, 07:50 AM
Trocken

His leg wound closes, and he stabilizes a bit on his feet.

Ooooh, thanks, lady priestess. That feels much better. Now it just feels like the time I fell down a mineshaft....

His voice trails off, and he focuses on the group.

Right... so, what was going on here?

wxdruid
2008-08-23, 04:14 PM
Thecla

Thecla is beginning to get irritated at them all, but she takes a deep breath and then replies, My fellow Cleric seems to have been investigating something. I prefer not to rush off after those thugs, they are probably long gone. I think it would be prudent to head directly to the Temple and talk with the Cleric currently in charge. They may know more information that we need or want to know about the situation. I'd prefer to get all of this out of the alley and somewhere drier. She runs her off hand through her hair to reflatten it.

SoD
2008-08-23, 09:11 PM
Seraphina

"To the head cleric? Surely we can learn what we need from Ruphus? I'm sure he has enough for what we need?"

Ascension
2008-08-24, 01:16 AM
"Either the orphans are already gone, in which case we should at least make an attempt to track your friend's attackers while the trail is still slightly fresh, or the orphanage is likely to come under attack very soon, in which case we should get over there as quickly as possible to protect the children" Pindinbar points out.

"Why are you so keen on reporting to your superiors, anyway? Is Cuthbert the Cudgel so hidebound by regulations that he won't seek righteous vengeance until the proper paperwork has been completed? And as for the weather," Pindinbar pauses to grunt derisively, "this is barely a drizzle. You'd never make it in the wilds if your first impulse when you so much as see a rain cloud is to run inside and hide."

The Bushranger
2008-08-24, 05:44 AM
Dan'yel sighs, shakes his head, and moves closer to where Moon is standing.
At this rate, he says to the young elf in a low voice, everything is going to be over and done with before we get anywhere from here.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-24, 10:03 AM
Moon
Moon smiles a skitterish sort of smile between damp locks of hair.
"Would that be so bad? Missing trouble entirely? I just don't want to wake up at the bottom of the lake with stones chained to my feet, that's all."

The Bushranger
2008-08-24, 02:55 PM
Dan'yel

Well, I suppose you do have a point there...
The sorcerer shakes his head and resumes watching the ongoing debate.

insecure
2008-08-25, 02:57 PM
The half-beaten cleric looks confused around, trying to get an overview of the situation. After thinking for some time, he decided that he could as well start with his name.

Umm, hello, did I even introduce myself?
I'm Ruphus Andar, cleric of St. Cuthbert, but apparently not strong enough in my faith to withstand their attack... I was sent to investigate some disappearances at the orphanage here in Caulron, but I didn't even get over to the orphanage before I got attacked, leaving you to save me. I think we should consult our head cleric, Jenya Urikas, for more information on the subject, since I don't know much about this.

wxdruid
2008-08-25, 03:08 PM
Thecla

Thecla folds her arms over her chest, Well, that answers that. Let's go. She waits for everyone to get moving so she can watch the rear.

Ascension
2008-08-25, 03:56 PM
"So we're not even going to go over to the orphanage to make sure that whoever's left there doesn't up and disappear?" Pindinbar asks incredulously.

"Okay, fine, I'll go with you, but don't blame me if all the children get kidnapped while we're busy discussing the matter with this Urikas fellow."

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-25, 04:08 PM
Moon
Moon smiles a relieved smile, which quickly sets itself into something more mischievous.
"There, see? That's more reasonable. And I wasn't going to blame you, Pin; I'm not wearing my 'blame-the-gnomes' dress right now.You might get in trouble with their parents, though..."

The Bushranger
2008-08-25, 06:40 PM
Dan'yel has to fight the urge to chuckle at the "blame-the-gnomes dress" comment.
I seem to have left my Rod of Blaming at home as well, so you don't have any worries on my account.
He gives a small bow to Moon.
After you, ma'am.

Ascension
2008-08-25, 09:22 PM
*Get in trouble with orphans parents?* Pindinbar thinks, *The elf certainly seems a bit odd...*

Pindinbar refrains from commenting on this oddity and turns instead to the halfling.

"We shouldn't slow the tall ones down, friend... and I think Peter can handle another passenger. Climb aboard. Let us make haste."

SoD
2008-08-26, 01:51 AM
Seraphina

Seraphina climbs aboard behind the gnome. "I'm afraid I haven't had any experience riding anything smaller than a caravan before...but maybe we should split up? Have one or two of us follow the trail to the orphanage, and just keep an eye on things there, so that if they escape, we have someone to know? And the others could meet us there? Or at a tavern or a park somewhere?" she says quietly.

Ascension
2008-08-26, 06:02 AM
"Not a bad idea, friend," Pindinbar says, "I'm sure you and I could hold our own at the orphanage until the others are finished with their business. Though I concede that you people might genuinely need to report to the head cleric, there's really no reason he or she would want to see us. We were just random strangers who stopped to help a person in need."

wxdruid
2008-08-26, 07:59 AM
Thecla

Thecla shrugs in reply. They seem to be hesitating. She personally loves the Temple of St Cuthbert. She feels perfectly at home there and others should too (in her opinion). But, she's not going to drag them by their hair to the Temple. If you feel like you need to.

She turns to Ruphus, Please give them directions to the orphanage? So they don't get lost in the streets and alleys.

mdsoze
2008-08-26, 08:15 AM
Trocken

I'm all for heading to the temple. Maybe someone else can heal me up the rest of the way. Not that you did a bad job, lady priestess, I'm just still kind of sore.

Trocken will go with Thecla to the temple.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-26, 10:26 AM
Moon
"So...no one's still up for getting a pint and a bite?"
Moon sighs as she mulls over the prospect of going to the orphanage or the Church of St. Cuthbert. Neither really appealed, and on a couple of occasions a visit to the one had led directly to a visit to the other, depending on how zealous and 'helpful' the priests were. She hadn't been in a few years, so it should probably be okay, but...
She sighs again, resting the rain-stained parasol against her shoulder.
"Okay, fine. I'll lead whoever wants to go to the orphanage."

The Bushranger
2008-08-26, 01:11 PM
Dan'yel

The sorcerer shrugs again. Well actually I could use some nice warm food and a good drink, but I suppose I'll head along to the orphanage as well - if you don't mind of course.

Ascension
2008-08-26, 03:29 PM
"Alright then, so the clerics and the dwarf are headed for the temple and the rest of us are headed for the orphanage?" Pindinbar summarizes.

"Sounds good to me. Lead the way please, Miss," he says, addressing Moon.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-26, 05:07 PM
Moon
The elf kicks the toe of her boot against the road once or twice, and then motions the others to follow.
At least we're not getting the guards involved...

She leads the group on a twisting route through misty streets and dark alleys to a pool of light and sound in the darkness. She pauses in front of the door.
"Hey, look at that! We came across the Drunken Morkoth! I forgot it was even on the way. Well, as long as we're here..."
She looks hopefully from face to face.

The Bushranger
2008-08-26, 07:53 PM
Dan'yel

An eyebrow is raised and the corner of the lips turns up just a little.
Surrrrre we 'just happened' to come across it...
Well as I said some warm food and a drink would not go unappreciated here, but...
He nods to their small companions as he leans over to whisper.
Somehow I don't think everyone here would quite agree with us.

Ascension
2008-08-26, 08:08 PM
"Go ahead," Pindinbar says in a gruff tone, "stop here if you are faint of heart. But my path is the will of the Goddess, and I will not falter from it. If need be I can find this orphanage myself."

wxdruid
2008-08-26, 08:38 PM
Thecla

Thecla shrugs as she watches them leave. She turns and whomever is coming better start walking. She will go slow in deference to the wounded dwarf. She must have been distracted when she cast that healing spell. She berates herself for it as she trudges through the rain to the Temple. She has her mace in one hand and she keeps an eye out for any more thieves or bandits.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-26, 10:13 PM
Moon
The elf sighs.
"Not buying it, huh. Okay, you win. This way to the orphanage." She mutters, "I hate going there."
Parasol optimistically open against the rain, Moon leads the group towards the orphanage, reluctance marking each step away from the warm and golden cheer of the tavern.

The Bushranger
2008-08-26, 10:22 PM
Dan'yel follows her, moving to catch up.
Would I be intruding if I asked why you're uncomfortable going there, miss?

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-26, 10:31 PM
Moon
Moon thinks about the question, her small head tilted to one side.
"Yeah," she decides, "It's intruding."
"But," she continues, a smile on her lips, "if you're nice to me, maybe I'll tell you sometime."

The Bushranger
2008-08-26, 10:42 PM
Dan'yel nods in understanding and returns the smile, hoping the night hides the slight colour in his cheeks...

mdsoze
2008-08-27, 08:21 AM
Trocken

Trocken follows the Thecla.

Lady Priestess, how far to the temple? Are we there yet?

insecure
2008-08-28, 09:24 AM
The group that's heading to the temple:

As Ruphus follows behind the rest of you, constantly looking back over his shoulder, you comes to a temple made of white marble with blue agates decorating the walls. The entrance, a wooden double-door, to the temple is covered by two pillars with the symbol of St. Cuthbert on. Above the door is a sign reading:
"By law should cities be build"

It's here! Ruphus said excited, Now we just need to find Jenya.

Ruphus walked over to the door and pushed it open, reveling a grand hall with blue and white colors everywhere. The temple was lit by torches along the walls and lanterns hanging from the roof, that is about 30 ft. above you. The temple is empty, except for you. Several wooden doors could be seen along the walls, leading to other places in the temple.

Immediately, Ruphus walked towards a single door placed in the left of the room, pushed it open, and walked into a little room with two benches. In the room, another door could be seen.
Come, Ruphus said. You can sit on the benches and wait till I come back.

---------------------

And for the orphanage group:

The orphanage wasn't looking good. In fact, it was in a general disrepair, to put it mildly. A single two-story house with a garden surrounding it was all. A single fountain could be seen in the garden, but it looked dry and dusty. In only a single window, one could see some light creeping out from it.

wxdruid
2008-08-28, 09:30 AM
Thecla

Thecla sits down to wait, seems life is full of waiting with brief periods of fighting. She wishes there was more of the latter. Then she thinks better of that. I prefer to pray, waiting is such a waste of time. She kneels down by the bench and prepares herself.

Thecla will pray for guidance on the current situation.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-28, 09:41 AM
Moon
The elf looks glumly at the dilapidated structure.
"There, see? It's still a dump. I guess you wanna go inside, then..."

The Bushranger
2008-08-28, 02:39 PM
Dan'yel pulls his glasses down and peers over them in astonishment.
This place is an orphanage? Its... he's momentarily lost for the right word... It's shameful!

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-28, 02:44 PM
Moon
Moon nods. "Yeah. The grub sucks, too. But who's gonna look after them? No one cares, so you just gotta care for yourself."
The young elf watches the building, almost warily.

Ascension
2008-08-28, 02:47 PM
"One might indeed be tempted to question the generosity of the Cuthbertians..." Pindinbar grumbled.

"On the other hand, it is almost assuredly better than whatever fate those... those people have in store for the orphans. Come, let's check on the children. Perhaps we can be a spot of joy in their dismal life this evening."

Pindinbar dismounts from Peter and, assuming she's willing, helps Seraphina to the ground. Once that's done, he leads the pony over to the orphanage and ties him to a post by the door.

He knocks gently on the orphanage door.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-28, 02:59 PM
Moon
Moon hoists her parasol nervously.
"Yeah, tell you what. I'll just wait outside while you go in, okay? I'll catch you up when you leave."
With that, she begins trotting hurriedly down the street a little ways, looking over her shoulder every now and again.

The Bushranger
2008-08-28, 03:47 PM
Dan'yel stands there, looking back and forth between the two smaller members of their expedition at the door, and the nervously departing elf, clearly having a mental debate.

Ascension
2008-08-28, 03:58 PM
Pindinbar chuckles.

"You fear children?" he asks, in a jovial tone, "Well, suit yourself. I suppose you'll just have to miss out on the fun."

As he turns back to the door, a thought occurs to him.

"Friend," he says, turning to Seraphina, "have you any food you could spare for the children? When I'm on the road, I hunt or gather all my fare, so I'm afraid I don't have anything I could give to them."

mdsoze
2008-08-28, 04:56 PM
Trocken

Trocken will move to the front, and seek healing from a priest, he can pay a little, or donate some to the church if necessary.

SoD
2008-08-28, 09:11 PM
Seraphina

Seraphina gladly accepts a hand down, and watches Pindibar as he boldley knocks on the door, and Moon as she retreats down the street.

"Spare food? No, I generally buy what I need when I need it. Well, sometimes I buy it...I've got some spare coin though, but I fear it may not be put towards the orphans themselves..."

Seraphina looks up at the light shining from the window up above.

"If nobody answers, I could get inside for us." Nervously, Seraphina tries searching for an open window.

[roll0]

The Bushranger
2008-08-30, 09:22 PM
Dan'yel

The sorcerer comes to a decision and looks around, whistling. A fairly large rat, which has been discreetly following the group, comes scampering out of a nearby trash pile.
Apophis, go with those two.
He points at Pindinbar and Seraphina.
The rat bobs its head a little and scampers in their direction as Dan'yel addresses them.
My familiar will be accompanying you inside, make sure they don't cudgel him or anything, would you?
And he turns to follow in the direction Moon went.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-30, 09:28 PM
Moon
Watching from around a nearby corner, Moon blinks as she sees Dan'yel approach.
"Uh, welcome? I thought you were going in with the shortstacks?"

The Bushranger
2008-08-30, 09:41 PM
Dan'yel

Well, really, this is their thing, and if anything went pear-shaped I'd just be mostly in the way...
He trails off and looks a little sheepish.
Also I noticed you looked a little, well, upset and wanted to be sure you were alright, he admits.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-30, 10:34 PM
Moon
Moon stares up at the man in desert robes, her mismatched blue eyes looking for...something.
"Uh...huh. Who are you anyways, mr. magician? Not to be mean or anything, but uh...you're not from around here. "
Moon twirls her parasol, reflexively.

The Bushranger
2008-08-30, 10:45 PM
Dan'yel

Yeah, I grew up in a little village about a hundred klicks east of here. My folks were students of history, not that there was much around there...they were pretty surprised when I started showing magical abilities. They wanted me to follow the family work, and it's really kind of interesting, but I thought it'd be better to develop my natural talents first and then work on learning about things long dead and gone...
Dan'yel is cheerful and enthuiastic in his speech.

((And it might be noted that this is, perhaps, my only character who doesn't rely on Sense Motive... :smalltongue: ))

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-30, 11:05 PM
Moon
"Oh."
Moon looks around the corner again, just to check on the two by the orphanage.
"That's nice, I guess. What's it like, casting magic spells?"

SoD
2008-08-30, 11:10 PM
Seraphina

"Well, Pindibar...and rat. Shall we go in?" Seraphina asks, picking up the rat. This thing better be clean... She grins. She's now in her element. She throws a wink at her Gnomish companion. "What are you like at entering discretely?"

The Bushranger
2008-08-31, 04:27 AM
"Squeak"
There's no fleas on this rat. :smalltongue:

-------------

Dan'yel shrugs.
It's...pretty much impossible to describe, really. Not so much because of it feeling great or anything, it's just...well, how would you describe breathing? It comes just as naturally.
He leans against a convienent wall and offers a friendly smile.
So what is it like being able to sneak around like a ghost?

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-31, 07:39 AM
Moon
Moon giggles, unexpectedly.
"Who says I do that? I'm just making my way. Y'know, I talked to another magician once, and he said that doing magic was like...eating a cake that took years of baking to make. Yeah."
She taps her heel on the cobblestones, absently.
"So I guess you're really trying to mess with the Last Breath, huh?"

Ascension
2008-08-31, 08:24 AM
Pindinbar blushes slightly at the wink, and hopes the light is bad enough for Seraphina not to notice it.

"Entering discretely? I'm pretty good at sneaking up on prey... I imagine that the same skills one uses to avoid making dry leaves crunch would help in avoiding making loose boards creak... but don't you think it might scare the children if we snuck up on them like that?"

Pindinbar suddenly realizes that the two of them haven't been properly introduced.

"Oh, I forgot to ask for your name. I'm Pindinbar. Pindinbar Suttles."

He extends a hand.

The Bushranger
2008-08-31, 09:42 AM
Dan'yel

That's a pretty interesting assessment, I guess he must have been a wizard, using book-magic? I can see how it might feel that way, the way I use magic is a little different, it just spontaneously comes to me. Not quite as varied perhaps but a lot easier to use...
He shrugs, then looks a little puzzled
Last Breath...oh, the assassins.
Dan'yel sobers a little.
I guess so...I dunno about the others, but, the way I see things, if you know something bad is going on and you just turn away, well, in a way you're guilty of that bad thing yourself, since you could have tried to do something about it but chose not to, just to let it happen, y'know? Too many people do that...I guess I just can't, I'm not made that way.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-31, 10:00 AM
Moon
The elf moves a lock of wet, reddish hair behind her ear, looking puzzled.
"Wow. Are you like a priest or something back home?"

The Bushranger
2008-08-31, 10:26 AM
Dan'yel

This draws a chuckle from the young arcanist. Not hardly. In fact the priests all hated me, they said I asked too many questions and should just shut up sit down and listen like a good little boy.

insecure
2008-08-31, 01:56 PM
The temple group:

Ruphus walks out of the room with the benches, and off into somewhere in the temple. It doesn't look like there's a lot of life in the temple right now, but Trocken finds a priest in spite of that, who gladly heals him if he just promise to pray for St. Cuthbert.

-----------

The orphanage group:

You can hear something that sounds like a man or woman coming down from the stairs, stumbling a bit. A short moment afterwards, the door opens, but only enough to allow one to look in through a small gap. At the other side of the door stands a woman, about sixty years old, and observes you for moment, before she begins to speak.

Hello? Who are you? You don't want to do anything to the children, do you? Please say who you are and what you want, or I won't let you in, if you want to come in? Is it something about the missing children? Have you found them?

She looks both puzzled and a bit frightened.

Trocken's healing: [roll0]

mdsoze
2008-08-31, 02:02 PM
Trocken

Trocken accepts the healing and agrees to pray, and then goes to an appropriate location in the temple to do so. If anyone is listening to him as he prays though, he is praying that St. Cuthbert see the wisdom of Moradin and the dwarf gods, and accept their guidance.

Ascension
2008-09-01, 03:34 PM
Pindinbar sighs a little as the door opens. He'll have to wait a little longer to find out the charming halfling's name. Anyway, business before pleasure. He'll worry about his social life after the children are safe.

"Oh, no ma'am, I'm afraid we haven't found the missing children yet. I'm very sorry. We're just here to do what we can to make sure no more children go missing. I'm Pindinbar Suttles, and my friend here is... well, we've only just met, and I'm not sure what her name is, but she's not here to harm you either. I'm actually from out of town, but when I heard about your plight I felt obligated to do what I could for you. I'm afraid I'm not much good at dealing with people, but I've got sharp eyes and I'm good with a bow... I could keep watch outside, perhaps..."

SoD
2008-09-02, 01:58 AM
Seraphina

Seraphina politely smiles at the old woman. "However, any extra information on the missing children would be greatly appriciated. From you, the children or from your collegues. I assume you don't run the place on your own?"

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-02, 12:14 PM
Dan'yel

This draws a chuckle from the young arcanist. Not hardly. In fact the priests all hated me, they said I asked too many questions and should just shut up sit down and listen like a good little boy.
Moon
Moon giggles again and takes a seat on a sodden crate in the alley. setting the parasol lightly against her shoulder, she roots around in her small backpack and pulls out a rather bruised apple and begins munching on it. She drums her feet against the wood absently as she examines the magician again, chewing thoughtfully.

The Bushranger
2008-09-02, 06:45 PM
Dan'yel leans against the wall of the building, a slight hint of colour in his cheeks, and smiles. So, is there anything else you'd like to know about me, ma'am?

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-03, 07:19 AM
Moon
Moon stop chewing for a moment and tilts her head to one side, bird-like.
"...Why'd you come here for wisdom? The way I hear it, you can't hardly throw a brick in the desert without hitting some mad old hermit looking for wisdom in his bellybutton or whatever. What do people even do in a desert anyways? Mine sand?"

The Bushranger
2008-09-03, 08:12 AM
Dan'yel

That's a good question, actually...
Dan'yel slides down the wall to sit, still leaning against it, his arms crossed on his knees.
Well, in the desert, people tend to gravitate torwards sources of water, as you'd expect. Towns and trading villages tend to spring up around oasises - or should that be oasisii? - and that's what my home town is like, a little hamlet that developed around a natural spring. Growing a little food and fruit using its water and assisting travelers on the trade route are what we do there. It's a nice enough place, but it's rather lacking in the way of sources of knowledge. My parents have a good library, but once you've read everything they have about two dozen times, well, you want some fresh knowledge, you know?
He pauses for a moment, then continues.
Now there are a lot of the crazy hermit types, yeah, but that's what the vast majority of them are - crazy. Old Ben was the exception, but he died about a year ago, and he didn't have very many books anyway...so I thought I'd come here to the city and see what I could see, and hopefully get some fresh learning done.

insecure
2008-09-03, 02:49 PM
The temple group:

The door to the room opens again, but this time, it's not Ruphus who comes in, but instead a woman, apparently a human, looking to be in the late twenties and with black, curly hair, light brown skin and brown-ish eyes. She wears a brown robe with a golden trim and a symbol of St. Cuthbert around her neck. She looks pretty tired.
Hello, I am Jenya, cleric of St. Cuthbert, and leader of this temple until Sarcem Delasharn returns from Sasserine, she greets you.

I've heard from Ruphus that you rescued him from some sort of attack by a gang of some sort, that didn't wanted him to investigate the disappearances in the orphanage. What do you know about this?

---------

The orphanage group:

The door opens a bit more, but only enough for the woman see the whole group at once. You would still need to push her aside if you wanted to get through the door.

But, why should I trust you? Why should you not use the bow against the children? No, I am not going to let you in.

Ascension
2008-09-03, 04:09 PM
Pindinbar sighs. City folk are so suspicious of everything and everyone. Not like the wilderness, where anyone not actively trying to harm you is a friend by default. Travelers can't afford to keep potential allies at arms length, there are simply too many hazards in the wild to allow such distance.

"I didn't ask to be let in, ma'am. I asked to be allowed to stand guard outside. In your position, I probably wouldn't trust me, either. Regardless, you have my word that I shall not, under any circumstances, raise a finger against the children under your care."

wxdruid
2008-09-03, 05:14 PM
Thecla

Thecla lumbers up from where she was praying. She gives proper obeisance to the acting head of her order in Cauldron. Ruphus was being attacked in an alley. I didn't know who he was until I got closer. I thunked one with my mace. There was a figure on the rooftop. They said something to the effect that the children are no longer our concern. The figure's face was painted half white/half black and they ran off. I met up with some other people earlier. They continued on to the orphanage. One, a dwarf came with me, for further healing.

I thought it would be better to come here first. Find out what exactly is going on? Is there a way I can help?

mdsoze
2008-09-03, 05:54 PM
Trocken

Trocken saunters over.

That's right. We smashed 'em good, but they got me in the leg. One of your priests healed me up right fast though. Not like the time I had a festering wound for six weeks and I ended up needing four clerics and three jars of ointment.......

Anyways, We figured we'd come here and get information, and then join the others. So give us information, and we'll go help the others.

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-03, 07:51 PM
Moon
"...Huh." Moon takes another bite of mealy apple, but now her attention has wandered up to the rooftops.

The Bushranger
2008-09-03, 07:55 PM
Dan'yel

Dan'yel notices her look and follows it, trying to see if there's something the elf has spotted up there.

Spot: [roll0]
...owie...

insecure
2008-09-10, 01:50 PM
The temple group:

I see, Jenya answered. Well, before we go on, maybe you could introduce them to me while I try to wake a bit more up?

---------

The orphanage group:

The old lady looks somewhat indifferent.
But what about your "friends" there? And how can I tell that you do not lie?

She ponders for a moment before going on,
But, if you really will help us, perhaps I should give you a chance instead of just standing here, refusing to let you or any other in, no matter what you say, she chuckles,
You see, a cleric of St. Cuthbert visited this place yesterday. I liked how he spoke to me and how he handled the kids. If you perhaps could bring him over here to persuade me into letting you in, she chuckles again, or at least bring something from the church to show that you're "working" for them?

You all get 60 exp for rescuing Ruphus and bringing him back to the temple.

--------

Dan'yel:

You can see nothing but darkness and the moon shining, indicating that it must be about 11 pm.

Ascension
2008-09-10, 02:09 PM
I have the sudden feeling I'm in the middle of... A FETCH QUEST!

*Ugh..* Pindinbar thinks, *Why does this woman insist on examining each and every one of the gift horse's teeth?*

"If you were to be attacked by these ruffians while I was gone I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. Please, ma'am, just accept my word of honor that my intentions are good. As for your proof, I believe Miss Thecla and our dwarf friend were planning on meeting us here once they were done escorting Rufus back to the temple. When they arrive, then you will have your precious 'proof.'"

wxdruid
2008-09-10, 02:31 PM
Thecla

Oh..yes, This is Trocken. Thecla gestures towards him, He's the dwarf I mentioned. The others are probably at the orphanage.

The Bushranger
2008-09-10, 02:32 PM
Dan'yel

The young sorcerer blinks a bit. Did you see something, ma'am?

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-10, 02:42 PM
Moon
Moon starts.
"What? No! No. I'm allowed to look at nothing, aren't I? Sheesh." The elf makes a face, and then peers around the corner.
"Oh, man. They're talking to her."

The Bushranger
2008-09-10, 02:51 PM
Dan'yel

Dan'yel looks away, feeling a good bit embarassed.
Sorry, I didn't...oh, forget it.
He sighs, then looks back up curiously, but makes no further move to open his mouth, lest he enjoy another sandal-wich. (( :smalltongue: ))

mdsoze
2008-09-10, 04:39 PM
Trocken

Hello, other lady priestess.

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-11, 11:56 AM
Moon
Over her shoulder, Moon remarks conversationally, "Looks like the shortstacks are having some trouble with the matron, which don't surprise me none. I had a couple of, well, sort-of friends there though...I hope they're all right."

The Bushranger
2008-09-11, 02:35 PM
Dan'yel

The young mage starts to say something, then pauses as a few mental gears finally click into place. He debates asking for confirmation, then decides to play it more neutrally.
Well, that's why we're here, I suppose - to make sure they'll be alright.

insecure
2008-09-13, 08:27 AM
The temple group:

Nice to meet you, Trocken, Jenya greets, before he continues to both Thecla and Trocken.
You see, the orphanage here in Cauldron have had some disappearances among the children living there. Because of that, we sent Ruphus to investigate the place, but not before I borrowed a relic from this temple. I used that relic to contact St. Cuthbert, may he guide every of our moves, or, rather, an avatar of St. Cuthbert. This is what we got from it.
She hands you a small piece of paper:
http://www.davidrm.com/rpg/images/tj200512061514-1.jpg

I wrote that down quickly when it was revealed to me. Now, take your time, and examine that carefully.

---------

The orphanage group:

If that is the case, then I will wait till they return, the old lady says.

wxdruid
2008-09-13, 09:53 AM
Thecla

Thecla looks it over and muses to herself, Locks? and teeth? I can understand locks, but why would doors have teeth?

So...we have to find locks? and a door that goes down under Cauldron?

She hands the note off to Trocken and shrugs, I admit, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but perhaps it will to the others?

Ascension
2008-09-13, 11:16 AM
"Then I suppose we will have to wait," Pindinbar says with a sigh. He sits down there on the orphanage's front stoop. He fixes his eyes on the road which leads up to the orphanage, keeping watch for the approach of friend or foe.

"If the ruffians show up again before my friends do, though, I do hope you'll forgive me someday for defending the children," he calls over his shoulder.

mdsoze
2008-09-13, 01:32 PM
Trocken

Hmmmm... doors with teeth. Could be blades. I've seen doors with blades rigged up to them. Goblins like to use those to keep out strangers. It's a riddle, Lady Priestess, and I think for all the wisdom of St. Cuthbert, saving the children will require quite a bit of work on our part. Let's go to the Orphanage, find the others.

insecure
2008-09-13, 03:39 PM
The temple group:

Before you go, you should know, that we've done some research too. We know that many of the locks herein Cauldron are made by a gnome named Ghelve. About the other things, we are as unknowing as you are, Jenya explains to you.

wxdruid
2008-09-13, 05:30 PM
Thecla

Ghelve, huh. Maybe we will pay him a visit?

Thecla turns to Trocken, Ready to go to the orphanage? See how they're doing?

The Bushranger
2008-09-13, 05:53 PM
Dan'yel

While Moon watches the front of the orphanage, the mage decides to look around elsewhere, just in case...

Listen: [roll1]

Ascension
2008-09-13, 06:22 PM
The Bushranger reminds me, I meant to roll spot for Pindinbar last post since he's watching the road.

Listen: [roll1]

SoD
2008-09-13, 07:33 PM
Seraphina

Seraphina also turns and sits next to Pindibar. (I'm assuming lady has turned and returned inside here) "It annoys me that she's not ready to accept help unless it's offered by divine law. I guess I understand her want to be suspicious though...everyone's suspicious around here." She speaks half to her self, not looking at Pindibar. She turns and looks at her gnomish friend, and asks: "So what brings you to the city then?"

Ascension
2008-09-13, 07:43 PM
"It seems the Church of St. Cuthbert is more concerned with what is proper than it is with what is good," Pindinbar agrees.

"As for how I came to the city... Well, I've spent nearly my whole life on the road. I was traveling with some nomadic halflings until about a year ago, when I had a dream in which the goddess Ehlonna asked me to walk the wilderness alone with her for a time. I've hardly seen a town since then, so when my wandering feet brought me here I thought I might as well poke my head inside and have a look around... see what I've been missing all this time. I never dreamed I'd get caught up this sort of intrigue... But I'm glad I got the chance to spend time with some friendly people, even if the only thing that holds us together is a common concern for those poor kids. Even though I know the goddess is always with me, it gets lonely out there in the woods..."

He leans back a bit and looks over at Seraphina.

"So, how about you? Are you a native?"

SoD
2008-09-14, 06:23 AM
Seraphina

"A native? No, not to anywhere really. I live here, but only have for a month or two. I used to travel as well, with my family, and the caravan. When we arrived...I couldn't beleive it. It was my first big city, everything was so...crowded. I loved it so much, so many people, all different, worrying about different things, it's so beautiful. Er, not the fact they're worrying, I mean. The fact that they've all got different worries, not all the same one." She looks at Pindibar, appologetically. "You must know, the first time in a big city, right? I...I just loved it so much, I asked my family if I could stay...they were sad about my leaving, but they understood. I've been on the streets since then," she nervously looks around before leaning in, lowering her voice to a whisper, "stealing the food I need. It was all going well, I only took from those who could afford to give a little bit. Olimdamarra gave me the luck I needed. Until about a week ago when-" she stops, looking shocked and slightly scared for a moment, before covering it with a calm, slightly bored look. "I'm sorry, I'm just rambling, I haven't had anyone to talk to since they left. But traveling with nomads, it must've hurt to leave them."

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-14, 11:06 AM
Moon
The elf remarks over her shoulder again "Looks like they're just sitting on the doorstep; she's not letting them in. Huh."
Picking up her parasol, she steps out into the street and wanders back towards the gnome and halfling.
"Hi."

The Bushranger
2008-09-14, 11:50 AM
Dan'yel

Somehow I'm not really surprised...
His Spot and Listen checks proving perpetually sucky :smalltongue:, Dan'yel pushes off of the wall and idly follows, offering a wave to the others.

Ascension
2008-09-14, 12:14 PM
"Leaving my friends was hard, yes, but it was the will of the goddess. Who knows, perhaps this situation with the orphans is why she guided me here... Perhaps my presence will help make someone's life happier. I hope it is so..."

Pindinbar's voice trails off as the big folk approach. His tone shifts as he turns to address them.

"Greetings, friends! Have you come to wait with us?"

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-14, 01:05 PM
Moon
Moon makes a face.
"Yeah, I guess. What are you waiting for, anyway?"

mdsoze
2008-09-14, 04:09 PM
Trocken

Ready as I'll ever be. Hope the others aren't dead yet.

Ascension
2008-09-14, 06:15 PM
"The dwarf and Thecla. The lady of the house won't trust anyone who hasn't been personally vouched for by a cleric of Cuthbert... so we wait for the official seal of approval. It's all rather ridiculous if you ask me."

The Bushranger
2008-09-14, 06:43 PM
Dan'yel rolls his eyes.
They're the same everywhere, aren't they. Always needing somebody higher up to approve their every move...
He shrugs, then leans against a convienent wall, crossing his arms.

SoD
2008-09-15, 08:03 AM
Seraphina

Seraphina looks at the building. "We may be able to get in without the preists...provided we stay quiet. I'm sure Olimdamarra would give us the luck we need."

Ascension
2008-09-15, 08:44 AM
"We don't really need to get in, I suppose. We should be able to see any would-be attacker approaching, and even if they got inside without us noticing them, we'd hear the scuffle before they could get away clean... It's still annoying..."

We're the PCs, people are supposed to just trust in the fact that we're good guys! :smallwink:

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-15, 11:01 AM
Moon
Moon whistles.
"Wow. They must do things really different where you come from. See, here people get jumpy about armed strangers showing up in the middle of the night offering to protect orphans. Hell, if I didn't know you meant it, I'd think you were psycho-crazy instead of chivalrous-crazy."
She taps her foot against the wet cobbles, thinking.
"Hey, I'll tell you what; if you give me some money to cover it, I'll go over to the Drunken Morkoth and bring back some hot spiced cider while you wait. How 'bout it?"

Ascension
2008-09-15, 11:46 AM
"Well, the point will be moot when our friends arrive... as for the cider, well, I don't keep much in the way of money on me... no need for it in the wilderness. Even when you meet other people, they're generally more interested in barter than in gold. You can't eat gold. You can't use gold as a tool or as a weapon. No need for it... Hrm. That reminds me. I got so distracted earlier I wasted that rainfall. Should have tried to funnel some of it to refill my waterskin... Ah, well... another rain will come."

Pindinbar might be a little psycho-crazy. He's spent a year now wandering alone in the wilds because of a dream he had one night. He sees the world in black and white, predator and victim. He has no concern for material goods, seeking only to help people... whether they want to be helped or not. He's not that unusual for a fantasy hero, but in the real world he'd probably be considered dangerously insane.

The Bushranger
2008-09-15, 02:31 PM
Dan'yel

Hot cider sounds good, I think. Hang on...
The sorcerer rummages for a moment in his pouch, and counts out eight gold pieces, offering to hand them over.
Think that will be enough?

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-15, 02:44 PM
Moon
"..."
A strange look is on Moon's face as she contemplates the golden coins. She looks up sharply into Dan'yel's eyes, her mouth open to say something...But then she closes it again. The elf glances over at the shorter two in the group, and then back to Dan'yel.
"yeah," she says, a little weakly. "that oughta be enough. Um. Be back in a bit."
Carefully sliding the coins into her glove, Moon hoists her parasol and walks slowly and purposefully off into the dripping night, glancing back every now and again, as if expecting to be chased.

The Bushranger
2008-09-15, 03:47 PM
Dan'yel watches her go, then looks back at the others with a slighly confused expression.
Er...I just made a fool of myself again, didn't I?

Ascension
2008-09-15, 03:51 PM
"Quite probably," Pindinbar agrees, "as I said, I know little of gold, but I believe that sum was... a bit much. Ahh well, just think of it as a present for the girl."

insecure
2008-09-16, 07:32 AM
Thecla:

With a sweep of a hand, Jenya dismisses you, but not before she has made sure that you've got the piece of paper, so that you can discuss it with the rest of the group.

Just wondering, don't Pindinbar have a rather high Wis score? He shouldn't he be able to adjust pretty quickly to the new situation?

The Bushranger
2008-09-16, 07:40 AM
Well, the young mage explains, The most recent tavern I stopped in was asking one gold for a drink, so I didn't want to give too little...
Sighing, Dan'yel shrugs and moves to sit down on the steps with the others.
I just hope she doesn't think I'm trying to bribe her or something...

Ascension
2008-09-16, 08:02 AM
"Worry not, my friend. I'm sure everything will turn out fine in the long run."

Just because you've got good Wisdom doesn't mean you use it! Plus, he's got no ranks in Sense Motive and no real reason to doubt his companions, so he hasn't completely picked up on the fact that he's in the company of two rogues. Yet.

But you're right, I'm probably overdoing the fish out of water thing. I'll start scaling it back a bit before he becomes a Beverly Hillbilly.

wxdruid
2008-09-16, 04:29 PM
Thecla

Thecla marches on out of there, mace in one hand. She rather expects Trocken to follow? or not follow? Kind of his choice. She knows where she's going and barring any further complications, she'll end up at the orphanage.

((Anything along the way? or?))

mdsoze
2008-09-17, 07:22 AM
Trocken

Oh, Lady Priestess is leaving. Bye, Other Lady Priestess. We'll see what we can find.

Trocken tags along after Thecla, but his stubby legs can't quite keep up with her.

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-17, 07:33 AM
Moon
Out of the night comes a misty specter, clanking faintly. It resolves itself into the slim form of Moon, her sodden parasol clenched beneath her chin as she elfhandles two heavy-looking jugs. Although heavily stoppered steam still radiates off them, looking almost like a djinn bottle. She sets the jars down triumphantly.
"There ya go. Two of hot spiced cider! Oh, and uh...here's some change back."
Hesitantly, Moon produces four gold pieces.
"I haggled a bit for it, but sometimes people charge me extra when I buy booze. They're all like," Moon makes a face " 'Dur, you're too young to drink, li'l lady! Gowan back home to your folks before I call the watch! Dur.' "
She spits. "Bastards."

The Bushranger
2008-09-17, 08:31 AM
Dan'yel

Too many people are quick to judge based on appearances.
Dan'yel starts to take the change, then pauses, before withdrawing his hand.
Well...you can, er, keep it, if you'd want to anyway. And thanks for the cider.

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-17, 11:05 AM
Moon
Moon blinks, quite frankly taken aback.
"...keep it? You- Are you...?" she stares in silence a bit longer, and then shrugs. "Okay. Your money. Or it was, anyway."
She slips the extra coins into a small satchel.
"You're crazy, you know, but crazy in a way that's good to be around."

The Bushranger
2008-09-17, 11:07 AM
Dan'yel

That brings a slight flush once more to Dan'yel's cheeks. Er...thanks. At least I'm not crazy crazy...

Ascension
2008-09-17, 11:14 AM
Say it with me now! Aaawwwwwwwww...

Pindinbar is slightly surprised to see Moon return with the offered goods, and even more surprised to see her offer the money back. She had looked... well, she had looked like she was running away when she had left with the gold. He wasn't going to condemn her for doing so, he figured she probably just needed the money to eat... but this, this was an unexpected turn of events.

He didn't comment on it, he merely threw a knowing glance in Seraphina's direction.

SoD
2008-09-17, 08:16 PM
Seraphina

Seraphina looks at the tall-ones with mild suprise, but doesn't comment on the transaction of money. Before looking both ways up the street, to see if the Cuthbertians were arriving. "I wish we didn't have to rely on the others just to get in...I don't doubt the fact that they're reliable, but...it would so much easier..."

wxdruid
2008-09-18, 05:24 PM
Thecla

There should be the obvious form of Thecla walking quickly down the road with her mace in one hand. She looks up as she gets closer.

The Bushranger
2008-09-18, 06:18 PM
Dan'yel

The young sorcerer looks a little relieved as he spots Thecla approaching, and waves in her direction.

Ascension
2008-09-18, 07:03 PM
"Ah, good, they're here!"

Pindinbar stands and gives Thecla a slight bow.

"I'm glad you're here to introduce us. Apparently your god does not allow strangers to visit his orphanages."

SoD
2008-09-18, 07:27 PM
Seraphina

Seraphina mumbles some greetings, and attempts to fade into the shadows...

The Bushranger
2008-09-18, 08:44 PM
Dan'yel

Odd, that two of our group would feel...discomfort around this place, Dan'yel muses as he notices the halfling's distress, and sends what he hopes is a reassuring smile in Seraphina's direction.

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-18, 09:06 PM
Moon
Moon sips some cider, but makes a face as if it has gone sour in her mouth as the priestess appears.
"Hey, guess you made it okay. Did you guys know that you're not really quiet when you walk?"

mdsoze
2008-09-19, 10:14 AM
Trocken

I like it when they hear me. It's a real pain to pull an axe out of someone's back.

wxdruid
2008-09-19, 12:47 PM
Thecla

Thecla gives Moon an odd look, Is there a reason I need to be quiet?

She looks around at the others (that are visible), So, what has happened here?

Ascension
2008-09-19, 12:56 PM
"We offered our assistance," Pindinbar explains, "but they aren't interested in our help unless we've been approved by a cleric of St. Cuthbert... which is why we were just sitting here waiting for you to arrive."

wxdruid
2008-09-19, 01:13 PM
Thecla

Oh, we went to the Temple and Jenya gave us a message she had received from St Cuthbert. She pulls out the paper...

http://www.davidrm.com/rpg/images/tj200512061514-1.jpg

briefly looks at it and realizes she should check in at the orphanage first probably. She hands it to Trocken, Here, I need to go and talk to the person in charge at the orphanage, so we can find out what's going on.

Once he accepts, she puts away her mace and walks up and knocks on the door.

SoD
2008-09-19, 10:50 PM
Seraphina

Her curiosity getting the better of her, temporarily, she steps forward, and stands on tippy-toes to see what's written on the paper. "Doors with teeth? Half a dwarf? What a pleasant riddle...

Ascension
2008-09-19, 11:11 PM
Pindinbar laughs a short, bitter laugh.

"Oh, it's a riddle, is it? I thought maybe it was a message saying we didn't have enough authorization to save the children, we had to fill out hero application forms in triplicate..."

Oh, no, Pindinbar isn't bitter at all about the Church of St. Cuthbert...

SoD
2008-09-20, 01:19 AM
Seraphina

Seraphina giggles at her new friends comment, before politely pulling the paper from Trockens hand, and handing it to Pindibar. "No, nothing that bad. But even so...it may regard lost children. 'The locks are the key to finding them'. 'Doors with teeth'..." she looks thoughtful at that. "Locks, keys, and doors. Interesting. I've no idea what it means, but locks, keys and doors?"

Some sort of check to get any clues from the riddle?

[roll0]
[roll1]

Anything gained, oh might DM who knows all, and holds the power of life and death over our heads, like the god that he is (circumstance bonus for sucking up to the DM?)?

Edit: Looking at those rolls, probably not, right?

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-20, 01:38 AM
Moon
Moon rolls her eyes, apparently agreeing with the opinion of St. Cuthbert floating about at knee-height.
"I thought Old Cuthie was, like, the one god who wouldn't have any truck with riddles. I heard when you become a priest of St, Cuthbert, the first test is not smiling for two years. And then you have to vow never to laugh."
Inside her head, however, the gears are turning as she thinks about the riddle, even as she drinks more steaming cider.

Ascension
2008-09-20, 01:44 AM
Pindinbar puzzles over the riddle, weighing it in his mind.

"Locks... locks..."

WIS: [roll0]

SoD
2008-09-20, 02:35 AM
Seraphina

"Maybe it refurs to a locksmith? Although 'half a dwarf binds them, but not for long'...it imples we don't have much time." Seraphina frowns slightly: We?

Ascension
2008-09-20, 02:44 AM
"More like they don't have much time. Poor kids... who knows what those villains might be up to... Half-dwarf... Duergar, perhaps? The Cauldron is the lake here, but where might be the 'curtain'? Mystery wrapped in enigma..."

SoD
2008-09-20, 02:52 AM
Seraphina

"No, not a duergar. They're full blood dwarves, only not as friendly, like the drow aren't half-elf."

The Bushranger
2008-09-20, 08:41 AM
Dan'yel

Sipping the cider himself, Dan'yel considers the message, listening to the various opinions.
You know, I would have to wonder by if 'half a dwarf' they somehow are referring to undead... Regardless of that, where or what is the 'malachite hold'?
He shakes his head wearily.
I hate mysteries. They give me a headache and I've got a beauty of one starting now.

INT: [roll0]

insecure
2008-09-20, 09:42 AM
Trocken

I like it when they hear me. It's a real pain to pull an axe out of someone's back.

I must admit, that one made me laugh.:smallsmile:

The old lady opens the door again at the sight of the new comers and the noise from the knocking.

Who are you? Are you this St. Cuthbert person I've heard about?

For the int and wis checks, the riddle isn't supposed to be solved via checks, but I'll still give you a clue or two:
The Malachite Hold is an old underground fortress, that has been in the dormant volcano for a long time.
Also, you are supposed to follow the clues given in the riddle in the same order as they're written. For example, you need to "look beyond the curtain", before you "beware the doors with teeth".

wxdruid
2008-09-20, 04:59 PM
Thecla

Thecla looks around and then back at the woman, I'm from the Temple of St Cuthbert. I'm a Cleric of St Cuthbert. I'm curious to know what's happening?

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-20, 05:14 PM
Moon
"..."
Moon stands behind Dan'Yel, the closest person tall enough to hide behind. She'd moved...remarkably quickly when it became clear the door was about to open, and now she remains perfectly still behind the man from the desert, parasol clutched to her chest.

Ascension
2008-09-20, 06:02 PM
Pindinbar turns to the old woman.

"You wouldn't happen to know of any curtains around here, would you? Important curtains? Curtains under the lake, perhaps?"

The Bushranger
2008-09-20, 06:22 PM
Dan'yel

Dan'yel's cheeks are turning red again, starting when Moon ducked behind him so hurriedly when the door started to open. Nevertheless he stands still, his hands in the folds of his robe; he can tell that she would really, really, really rather not have anything to do with the terrible termigant who runs the orphanage, and if she wants him to act as a fence, then a fence he'll be.

mdsoze
2008-09-21, 07:11 AM
Trocken

St. Cuthbert gives riddles because giving direct information wouldn't force the reader through as many ordeals.

Anyways, we're here about finding the children.

insecure
2008-09-24, 03:07 PM
Oh, so you are a cleric of St. Cuthbert. I have waited for one like you for a while, because I am not sure whether I can trust your companions, the old lady explains to Thecla.

Well, then, come in, but please give your weapons to Patch, our janitor. If you just wait a moment, I will fetch him. He is the one who knows about such things as curtains.

After waiting for a few minutes, you can all see a half-orc, about forty years old and with a patch over the left eye, walk down the stairs, accompanied by the old lady.

The old lady steps forward and begins to introduce you to Patch:
This is Patch, our janitor. He is quite probably the one whom the children love the most. We do not really know what his real name is; this is just a name the children gave him.
Please do not ask too much about his name, she whispers to you.

The janitor nods to you, looking groggy.

So, perhaps you could introduce yourself to Patch? The lady asks to you.

wxdruid
2008-09-24, 03:12 PM
Thecla

Thecla nods respectfully to the old woman and to Patch. I'm Thecla, a cleric of Saint Cuthbert. She thinks it's kind of odd to hand over her mace, but, she isn't going to argue. She doesn't want to alarm the old woman or the janitor. She offers it to Patch, handle first.

The Bushranger
2008-09-24, 03:18 PM
Dan'yel

The sorcerer raises an eyebrow at the half-orc, but makes no move to head insidide, mindful of the duty he's currently performing...
I believe I'll wait out here and make sure none of those ruffians show up to try anything. If you need me, talk to the rat.
He motions to the rat which is, presumably, still somewhere on Seraphina's person?

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-24, 03:40 PM
Moon
From behind Dan'yel, Moon sighs.
"it's okay," she says, finally.
There's a short clatter of metal, and then the elf steps from behind the magician.
Grudgingly, she hands over the slim rapier, blocking the matron's gaze with her parasol.

The Bushranger
2008-09-24, 04:38 PM
Dan'yel

If you're sure...
Shrugging, he goes to hand over his dagger.
My name is Dan'yel, and I know a small bit about magic. May I be permitted to keep my staff, please?

SoD
2008-09-25, 12:48 AM
Seraphina

"Seraphina. And Rat." she unsheathes a thin raipier, and hands it up to the half-orc.

Ascension
2008-09-25, 07:21 AM
"I'm Pindinbar. Pindinbar Suttles. And, well, these are my weapons..."

Pindinbar hands over the bow and arrows first. Then he unbuckles his sword belt. He hesitates about turning over his dagger, but does it at last.

"I don't see how you need us fully unarmed..."

mdsoze
2008-09-25, 08:32 AM
Trocken

Trocken seems very agitated.

Hand over my weapons? I'd sooner shave my beard and put the clippings in my ale. They're my weapons, and I'm not handing them over, especially not to a half-orc down one eye.

The Bushranger
2008-09-25, 10:07 AM
Dan'yel (and his rat)

"Squeak!"
The mentioned rat looks slightly put-out.
His name is Apophis. He gets a little annoyed when you think of him as just being a plain old rat, I'm afraid.
Dan'yel sounds slightly amused at this.
Thanks for carrying him, by the way. You can leave him out here to watch if we're all going inside...

Then the dwarf gets agitated, and, raising an eyebrow, he turns to watch.

insecure
2008-09-27, 04:05 PM
With a quick motion, Patch suddenly wakes up, grabs Pindinbar's dagger in one hand, the rest of the weapons in the other, and thrusts the dagger towards Trocken, but stops his sudden "attack" a few inches away from Trocken's neck.

"I may look old and all that, but I can still handle a dagger", he informs Trocken with a cold look in his one eye.

The old lady just looks shocked and perplexed, but quickly returns to her normal pose, without saying anything. In fact, she looks like she just ignores it, like if it had been a fully normal action, like shaking hands.

After putting all the weapons away, Patch turns to Dan'yel and Trocken,
"You can keep the staff, boy". He looks at you as if you were a harmless child.
"But you, Mr. Haughty Dwarf, you can stay outside, unless you hand me your weapons. Now."

mdsoze
2008-09-27, 04:12 PM
Trocken

Trocken sits.

Very well, I'll be out here, away from dagger-wielding, threat-making, one-eyed half-orcs and where it's safe, except for the murderous cultists.

Lady Priestess, if you have need of me, yell.

wxdruid
2008-09-27, 04:34 PM
Thecla

Thecla suppresses a smile and nods in reply. I think we're 'ready'? She certainly wonders exactly what's going on.

Ascension
2008-09-27, 09:29 PM
"I mean no disrespect, Sir Patch," Pindinbar says, "but where was that dagger when the ruffians took the children?"

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-27, 10:58 PM
Moon
Moon bites her lip, and clutches her parasol a little tighter. Tension runs through her muscles.
Fight, flight, or wait it out?

The Bushranger
2008-09-27, 11:51 PM
Dan'yel

Although he's slightly annoyed inside at the old orc's seeming dismissal of his capabilities, Dan'yel nods his thanks and takes a slightly tigher grip on his staff/walking-stick, watching the others curiously, and also trying to be a calming influence for the nervous elf standing next to him - witout overtly appearing to be trying, lest he put his foot in his mouth yet again.

insecure
2008-09-29, 01:21 PM
Patch turns towards Pindinbar, just grunting annoyed, and then turns back towards the old lady, whispering something. ((Remember, you can make a listen check if you want to hear what they're saying))

He then turns to the group, nodding, and opens the door for you.
"Just go in; Elisath will guide you-" The old lady, apparently named Elisath, nods, "-While I stand watch over this dwarf."

"Where would you like to go first? Oh, and remember, the children are sleeping. Please do not try to wake them. That should not be too much to ask for, I suppose."

Ascension
2008-09-29, 01:51 PM
Okay, do I hear the whispering?

Listen: [roll0]

"Take us to the scene of the crime," Pindinbar answers, "Where were the children taken from? Were there any signs of forced entry?"

The Bushranger
2008-10-02, 12:53 PM
Dan'yel

I assure you we will do our best to allow the children continued and undisturbed sleep.
Dan'yel makes a 'after you' motion to Moon and prepares to follow her in.

wxdruid
2008-10-02, 01:38 PM
Thecla

Thecla waits patiently and when motioned inside, goes in. She has no problem with Pindinbar asking the questions.

insecure
2008-10-02, 01:54 PM
"No, there were, or are, no signs of forced entry or anything suspicious that we can base our investigation of", Elisath explains.
"The children were kidnapped while they slept, and no one heard nothing.
They were taken from their beds, I believe, as it was about 2 o'clock then they were kidnapped. And that leaves us with many an unsolved problem."

Elisath ponders for a second before she goes on.
"Perhaps, if you could be exceptionally quiet, you can search the beds for any clues? Perhaps if one of you, preferably the one who is best at being silent, could take a look at the beds? Yes, you can do that. Who wants to do that?"

wxdruid
2008-10-02, 02:12 PM
Thecla

Thecla shakes her head, she isn't good at sneaking, she's good at smashing...

The Great Skenardo
2008-10-02, 04:02 PM
Moon

[roll0]

Gods, she hated coming here. The elf frowns, though. Strange how she couldn't remember the least thing about this place. Had she blocked it out? Forgotten? Oh well. That made it an adventure.

Ascension
2008-10-02, 04:17 PM
"The tall ones would make too much noise," Pindinbar concludes. He turns to the halfling beside him.

"Would you like to do it, 'Phina? Or shall I?"

The Bushranger
2008-10-02, 04:33 PM
Dan'yel

The sorcerer chuckles a little at Pindinbar's comment. Not everybody who isn't knee-high to a grasshopper is a bull in a china shop, you know. But you're probably the best ones for the job regardless.

SoD
2008-10-03, 12:18 AM
Seraphina

Seraphina grins. "I suppose I could. I'm good at being quiet. Coming, rat?" She gives Apophis a little scratch when he appears. "Just point me at the room. But I'll need some light."

Could I get an aid other from Apophis?
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Ascension
2008-10-03, 04:53 AM
"I have a hooded lantern, but that might be a bit bright for your purposes... is there anything we could do to make it more subtle?"

Bushranger, may I suggest Prestidigitation? Tint the glass red for an hour and you'd have a serviceable lantern that would neither negatively impact night vision nor easily wake up sleeping children...

The Great Skenardo
2008-10-03, 07:51 AM
Moon
The elf scuffs her boots on the worn wooden planks, listing a little glumly as the others discuss stealth. She runs a gloved hand through her wet hair, and then crosses her arms.

The Bushranger
2008-10-03, 09:12 AM
Well, that would work very nicely...if Dan'yel knew Prestidigitation. :smalltongue:

Dan'yel (and Rat)

Apophis the Rat squeaks happily at the scratching, and prepares to follow Moose and Squirrel gnome and halfling on their rounds.

The mage turns to the matron, looking thoughtful. Do you have any, thin red fabric or anything like that? We could drape that over the lantern and it would help to make it more discreet.

He then notices the elf's expression, and takes a step back, speaking quietly.
Why don't you go with them? I bet you could teach them a few things about sneaking around.

The Bushranger
2008-10-03, 09:17 AM
Dangit, I keep forgetting you can't edit in rolls here.
Your friend, the rat. (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=15802)
Move Silently: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

The Great Skenardo
2008-10-03, 11:09 AM
Moon
"Buh." Moon dismissively blows a gust of air. Then she whispers, "I guess. But doesn't she seem off to you? I mean, that lady? I mean c'mon, who talks like that?"
With a one-shoulder shrug, The elf steps over to the quieter and fleeter side of the company.
"Do you even have any idea what you're looking for?" she asks.

The Bushranger
2008-10-03, 12:11 PM
Dan'yel

Hmm...now that you mention it, that does seem a little odd.
Dan'yel looks over in the matron's direction, trying to get a better read on her.
Sense Motive: [roll0]

wxdruid
2008-10-03, 04:49 PM
Thecla

Thecla stands waiting for them to get on with the sneaking part...

Ascension
2008-10-03, 10:17 PM
"We're looking for signs of a struggle, signs of entry, egress..." Pindinbar sighs, "Just give me a candle, someone. My eyes don't require much light, and I'm a trained tracker. Give me a candle and I should be able to find anything there is to find. I doubt the light of one candle will be enough to wake any but the lightest sleeper."

With two rogues and a ranger, it's hard to determine who's sneakiest. It's only logical, though, to send in one of the ones with Low-Light Vision. That means halflings are out. Sorry, 'Phina, nothing personal. Given Moon's general aversion to having anything at all to do with this place, I think Pindinbar's the man for the job.

SoD
2008-10-04, 02:43 AM
Seraphina

Seraphina smiles slightly. "Very well. Let's see what we can find. Anyone got candles?"

Pin may be a trained tracker, but how much tracking has he done inside? You forget that Seraphina's a trained theif :smalltongue:

Ascension
2008-10-06, 03:08 PM
"Are you coming?" Pindinbar asks Seraphina.

With or without her, he takes a candle and creeps softly into the children's room and over to the now-empty beds. He does his best to search for any traces of the children's kidnappers in the area.

Might as well go ahead and roll everything...

Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
Search: [roll2]
Survival: [roll3]

SoD
2008-10-06, 09:53 PM
Seraphina

"Alright. Let's do this."

Not sure if you want a reroll or not, but here they are:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

The Great Skenardo
2008-10-06, 09:58 PM
Moon
Moon sets her rather unimpressive shoulders and follows.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Also, Elf, so automatic search for hidden doors.

The Bushranger
2008-10-07, 08:48 AM
((*points to the rat's MS and Spot checks made earlier* :) ))

Ascension
2008-10-07, 09:01 AM
Spot, since I forgot it earlier: [roll0]

insecure
2008-10-11, 01:09 PM
"One would be enough", Elisath says, stopping Moon and Seraphina from going to the bedrooms. "So you, was it Pindinbar? Can go in. Just follow me; Patch will stay here."

With those words, Elisath and Pindinbar walks away from the rest of the group.

After having guided Pindinbar to the bedroom, she returns to you, ready to answer any questions.

((Ascension: I'll pm you with the results of your investigation.))

wxdruid
2008-10-11, 01:15 PM
Thecla

Thecla quietly asks Elisath, Was there anything similar about the children that were kidnapped? Such as age? gender? brown hair? race? Or anything like that?

Ascension
2008-10-11, 02:56 PM
When Pindinbar emerges from the room he is frowning.

"It's too neat. Too clean. The only evidence is an utter lack of evidence. But the scene's probably been tampered with anyway... After the city guard a pair of half-elves came through here... I'd wager that if we spoke with the mayor he would have no memory of authorizing their investigation."

The gnome sighs.

"What I'm saying is that the trail is cold. Frigid, even. I'm not going to be able to track them. I suppose, then, that the only evidence we have is this Cuthbertian riddle."

insecure
2008-10-11, 03:25 PM
Thecla

Thecla quietly asks Elisath, Was there anything similar about the children that were kidnapped? Such as age? gender? brown hair? race? Or anything like that?

"No, I cannot recall any similarities they could have shared. Two of them were girls, Evelyn and Lycinda, and two were boys, Deakon and Terrem. Oh, Evelyn and Terrem were both nine years old and Deakon and Terrem were both humans. Evelyn was a half-elf and Lycinda elf. But that is the only thing."

The Great Skenardo
2008-10-13, 11:17 AM
Moon
Moon pouts, leaning against the wall. Why had she practically been dragged in here, if they weren't even going to let her do anything? God, she hated it here.

The Bushranger
2008-10-13, 01:38 PM
Dan'yel

So two girls and two boys, and the girls both have elven blood? I really don't like the way that sounds, to be completely honest.

Dan'yel sighs and glances in Moon's direction, not sure if she'd want misery loving company at the moment, then rubs his chin thinking of various possibilities.

Knowledge:Arcana for anything relating to rituals in which the aforementioned combination would be...desired: [roll0]

The Great Skenardo
2008-10-21, 04:16 PM
Moon
Moon fidgets, playing with the parasol absently as she waits.
It quickly becomes apparent that patience is not one of Moon's handful of virtues, and she pushes off from the wall she'd been leaning against.
"Sod this waiting."
her umbrella resting across her shoulder like a sword, Moon begins creeping around the silent halls, devoid of mirth, light and sound.
[roll0]

The Bushranger
2008-10-21, 11:34 PM
Dan'yel

The sorcerer is jolted out of his musings by the elf's heading off, and he considers following, but decides against it. Sneaking is not his forte.

So he settles for leaning against the wall and looking worried.

SoD
2008-10-22, 08:33 PM
Seraphina

Seeing Moon head off, Seraphina looks at the group, then at Moon again, before making up her mind and carefully following Moon, trying to remain unnoticed. Seeing her searching various rooms, Seraphina also quietly looks around, although what for, she doesn't know.

Followin' Moon, also searching.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]