PDA

View Full Version : Malevolent Bent (Feat; sublime warlock)

Stycotl
2008-08-05, 01:24 AM
Malevolent Bent
You have a knack—and the martial training—for destruction, and have harnessed the strength sufficient to release your eldritch blast in ferocious assaults that combine both your dark nature and your tactical proficiency.
Prerequisites: Concentrate 18 ranks, Martial Lore 4 ranks, Spellcraft 18 ranks, Adaptive Style, one eldritch essence, and the hideous blow blast shape, base attack bonus +10
Benefit: You can imbue either an offensive martial maneuver (strike, counter that allows an attack, etc) with the strength of your eldritch blast, or your eldritch blast with a martial strike, once per round. If you add an eldritch blast to a martial maneuver, the maneuver takes the place of any blast shapes, though eldritch essences can still be applied normally. If you add a martial strike to an eldritch blast, the maneuver takes the place of any eldritch essences, though blast shapes can still be applied normally. If adding a martial maneuver to your eldritch blast, the maneuver only affects the first target struck (first target in an eldritch chain, etc), and if adding an eldritch blast to a martial strike, the eldritch blast only affects the first target struck (first target in a time stands still strike, etc). Additionally, add 1 to the saving throw DC of your eldritch blast and an applicable martial maneuver only when paired in this manner. Using this feat expends the used maneuver as normal, but you cannot regain its use until the end of the encounter.

I used Falling Sun Attack as a base, and tried to make it usable by a warlock 14/swordsage 1, or some similar combination. FSA is a feat that is usable at 1st level by a monk with a martial maneuver, but is less powerful, and can only be used a certain number of times per day. So, this feat has higher prereqs, including 18 ranks in some skills, meaning 15 hit dice, and expends the utilized maneuver in a way that precludes its recharge until after the encounter has ended.

If it is still too powerful, I could make so that the character can only use it one time per day per initiator or invoker level, whichever is higher, or something similar.

Stycotl
2008-08-05, 11:10 PM
am i really the only one on both this and the wizards board that wants a sublime warlock combo?

Stycotl
2008-08-09, 01:26 PM
bump.......

Lady Tialait
2008-08-09, 02:02 PM
I don't know, I keep having to Re-flavor the warlock to get anyone to play it.

But, enough of my Warlock bashing self. More on the Feat, and/or Concept of the Sublime Warlock.

Firstly, I wouldn't have done it like this. Personally, I would have made lower prerequisites, and allowed for more feats to get the total effect. Such as:

Warlock's Edge
Prerequisites: Maneuver with an attack roll, Hideous Blow Invocation, Knowledge (Arcane) 4 Ranks, Knowledge (Tactics) 4 ranks.
Benefits: Choose a maneuver you can prepare. You may now use that maneuver in addiction to the normal effects of Hideous Blow. This effect may only be used 1/encounter.

I don't know if you like that. But, that is just something I would do.

Secondly, why Sublime Warlock?....The flavor doesn't mish well to me, but if you can get that to work..more power to you.

Stycotl
2008-08-10, 11:25 AM
I don't know, I keep having to Re-flavor the warlock to get anyone to play it.

But, enough of my Warlock bashing self. More on the Feat, and/or Concept of the Sublime Warlock.

Firstly, I wouldn't have done it like this. Personally, I would have made lower prerequisites, and allowed for more feats to get the total effect. Such as:

Warlock's Edge
Prerequisites: Maneuver with an attack roll, Hideous Blow Invocation, Knowledge (Arcane) 4 Ranks, Knowledge (Tactics) 4 ranks.
Benefits: Choose a maneuver you can prepare. You may now use that maneuver in addiction to the normal effects of Hideous Blow. This effect may only be used 1/encounter.

I don't know if you like that. But, that is just something I would do.

Secondly, why Sublime Warlock?....The flavor doesn't mish well to me, but if you can get that to work..more power to you.

i like your idea, and i like the earlier availibility, but i specifically set out to build one that *could* be used every round, assuming you had the number of maneuvers to last a combat encounter.

yours would be a very good alternative to someone that is only worried about doing that every so often, and wants it waaaaay earlier.

i can understand people's disinterest in the warlock; it is kind of an acquired taste. but i think it is one of the funnest classes to play, especially when i just want to jump into the game, instead of agonizingly strategizing over every spell and effect.

flavor? it depends on the concept. obviously there are some combos that wouldn't work well in and of themselves. backstories however, can create flavor even in the weirdest of builds.

crusader of boccob/scout/sublime marshal = pipe dream.

but even some random combo like this could be explained and played well by someone that pays attention to the roleplay.

i actually think that warlock/sublime is a good flavor combo however. try the dark, mystical assassin. the demonic warrior. kind of screams blackguard without ever having to take the prc. there are other combos as well.

fey-touched warlock + swordsage + eternal warrior = tolkeinish elf lord.

anyway, thanks for the comments.

aaron out.

Lady Tialait
2008-08-10, 01:50 PM
i like your idea, and i like the earlier availibility, but i specifically set out to build one that *could* be used every round, assuming you had the number of maneuvers to last a combat encounter.

Sounds like a feat tree to me..*rolls up her sleeves* Just you wait..i'm not finished.

i can understand people's disinterest in the warlock; it is kind of an acquired taste. but i think it is one of the funnest classes to play, especially when i just want to jump into the game, instead of agonizingly strategizing over every spell and effect.

Really, the problem is the ALIGNMENT restriction, it drives my players nuts. I have no problems with it. But, this is NO anti-paladin we are dealing with so it being CE doesn't really look right.

flavor? it depends on the concept. obviously there are some combos that wouldn't work well in and of themselves. backstories however, can create flavor even in the weirdest of builds.

crusader of boccob/scout/sublime marshal = pipe dream.

but even some random combo like this could be explained and played well by someone that pays attention to the roleplay.

Oh yes, I know this but, It seems forced in some places.

i actually think that warlock/sublime is a good flavor combo however. try the dark, mystical assassin. the demonic warrior. kind of screams blackguard without ever having to take the prc. there are other combos as well.

fey-touched warlock + swordsage + eternal warrior = tolkeinish elf lord.

I can see it...another reason I don't like Warlock, it has such set flavor..but that is okay...

I just had an idea..and i don't like going backwards when typeing or re-typing..just add the following to the feat I made

Special: You may take this feat multiable times, each time it apply to a different maneuver, you may not use two maneuvers that have this feat applied to it at the same time.

Stycotl
2008-08-10, 06:05 PM
a feat tree could definitely work. i personally don't like feat trees, because you get so few of them to begin with. i like progressive feats, the ones that get better as you gain level. but this one is pretty cut and dry in my opinion.

Really, the problem is the ALIGNMENT restriction, it drives my players nuts. I have no problems with it. But, this is NO anti-paladin we are dealing with so it being CE doesn't really look right.

i am generally a very lenient dm when it comes to alignment. in fact, i like white wolf's system of nature and demeanor more, and sometimes combine them both with alignment for my d&d games. if i have a character that really wants to try a chaotic monk, or a lawful good warlock, more power to them.

It seems forced in some places.

what does, the warlock flavor, the sublime warlock flavor, or the example i gave?

it has such set flavor

i find it to be exactly the opposite. i think it has a set style, but very flexible flavor options. granted, demonic is its only flavor as set in the class description itself. but it even gives feats for it in complete mage in order to make it fey-touched, and there are dozens of builds across the net that keep the same basic style, but different details. same mechanics, different origin.

I just had an idea..and i don't like going backwards when typeing or re-typing..just add the following to the feat I made

Special: You may take this feat multiable times, each time it apply to a different maneuver, you may not use two maneuvers that have this feat applied to it at the same time.

that is cool, and ties in well with your earlier suggestion. it still runs the same problem that i mentioned earlier, that now you have to take one feat per maneuver. for someone that really wants to focus on this kind of a style, they would not be able to spend feats on anything else. feats are precious commodities, and should be as broad, all-entailing, and general as we can make them--my opinion.

aaron out.