PDA

View Full Version : Magic Missile Class

TheZin
2008-08-05, 06:36 AM
Hello, this is just a quick request thing.

I was at my friends place - huge dnd fan. Has pretty much every book conceivable and then some and I was just rummaging through them when I found a magic missile prestige class(? I think)

And I thought: "Hmm, this might be fun."

So I made a mental note in my to-do list.

But for the life of me I haven't been able to find it.
My friend does not have a clue what I'm talking about and is certain that such a thing is not real but I swear to every deity out there that I saw this.

Something about using the same power as MM uses to forge shields and stuff like that.

Does this seem familiar to anyone out there?

Yours sincerely,
TheZin.

Duke of URL
2008-08-05, 06:38 AM
Force Missile Mage (Dragon #328)

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-05, 06:43 AM
Page 43 of http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Prestige.pdf details the first 2 class levels (sadly, it has 5 altogether.:smallfrown:)

Charity
2008-08-05, 06:44 AM
There was the Argent Savant from Complete Arcane, but that isn't exactly what you describe, but there was The Force Missile Mage or some such included in the Dragon Compendium from Paizo...

Google search...

Force MIssle Mage
Requirements: Concentration 9 ranks, Spellcraft 9 ranks, Feat: combat casting, Ability to cast Magic Missle once per day

1st LVL: Base Attack +0, F+0/R+0/W+2, Bouse Missle, Still Missle, No extra spells per day
2nd LVL: Base Attack+1, F+0/R+0/W+3, Energy missle, Swift Shield, +1 lvl of existing spellcasting class
3rd LVL: Base Attack+1, F+1/R+1/W+3. Overpowering Missle, +1 lvl of existing spellcasting class
4th LVL: Base Attack+2, F+1/R+1/W+4, Reflective Shield, +1 lvl of existing spellcasting class
5th LVL: Bast Attack+2, F+!/R+!/W+4, Bonus Missle. +1 lvl of existing spellcasting class

Weapon and Marmor Proficiency: Force missle mage gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spells: a force missle mage continues training in magic as he gains levels. At each level after the 1sr, the force missle mage gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If the character has levels in more than one spellcasting class before becoming a force missle mage, he must decide to which class he adds each level of froce missle mage for the purposes of determining spells per day.

Bonus Missle: At 1st level, a force missle mage gains increased mastery over his spell of choice. Every time he casts magic missle he creates an additional missle, even if this extra missle exceeds the normal maximum of five missles that the spell normally allows. Thus a 1st-level force missle mage/6th-level wizard creates five migice missles, while a 1st-level force missle mage/8th-level wizard produces six missiles.
At 5th level, the force missle mage benefits from an additional bonus missile. This means that a high-level force missle mage can create up to seven missiles with a single casting of magic missile.

Still Missile (Ex): All of the force missile mage's magic missle spells lack a somatic component. He casts magic missile as if using the Still Spell feat but without an increase in spell level

Energy Missile (Ex): a force missile mage becomes intimately attuned to teh energies that compose the spell magic missle and may alter them significant ways. Starting at 2nd level, a fice missle mage may add either the acid, cold, electricity, or fire discriptor to any magic missle he casts

Swift Shield (Sp): A foce missile mage realizes the need to defend himself against the magic missiles of other spellcasters. A 2nd-level force missile mage can cast shield once per day as an immediate action. (an immediate action is like a free action, but only one can be made per round.) This spell is cast in addition to the force mage's usual number of spells per day and at the force missile mage's highest caster level.

Overpowering Missile: At 3rd level, the fprce missile mage's magic missle spells become especially potent, breaking through spell resistance with the spell magic missil. This benefit only applies to magic missile spells he casts.
In addition, a force missile mage's magic missiles might penetrate shiels spells and brooches of shielding. Against such protections, the force missile mage makes a caster level check with a DC equal to the caster level, int eh cast of shield, or DC 20, in the case of the brooch.

Reflective Shield (Sp): At 4th level, a force missile mage can reflect the spell magic missile. For the purposes of being affected by magic missile, a force missile mage is constantly treated as being under the effect of the spell spell turning, thus reflecting offensive magic missiles back at their caster. If the caster is protected by the shield spell or the Brooch of shielding, these reflected magic missiles are negated as normal. Missiles reflected back against a caster who also has spell turning in effect require the force missle mage to roll on teh spell turning mishap chart (PHB page 283)
(this is not my horrible spelling btw, copy pasta)
These search things are not hard to do btw...

OK got beaten to the punch there, but mine does have all 5 levels.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-05, 06:49 AM
Usually, I find that this sort of search is a wate of time, so I just tend to check Crystal Keep.

Charity
2008-08-05, 06:49 AM
Google and me are old friends.

TheZin
2008-08-05, 06:57 AM
Great,

thanks guys for such a fast response.

I'm a big fan of magic missile - I guess it doesn't make much sense but I think it is the single most brilliant thing in the dnd multiverse.

Again, thank you and enjoy the rest of your day.

TheZin

only1doug
2008-08-05, 07:22 AM
GM: "and the enemy spellcaster throws 5 magic missiles at you"

Me: "can i make a bluff check or will he automatically notice that they dissipate harmlessly on my shield spell?"

(i got and passed my bluff check, he kept casting them at me for another 2 rounds)

Bonus Missile: not bad, certainly worth a one level dip for this and...
Still missile: still spell with no +Lvl, for MM spells, not bad when added to bonus.

Energy Missile: next to useless, unless your target is vulnerable to a specific energy type AND has no way of getting energy resistance 5 or better this results in your missiles being worse than before. Force spells are better than enrgy spells.

Overpowering Missile: this is the redeeming feature, break through shields and ignore spell resistance, OK

Doug

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-08-05, 07:28 AM
I believe Force Missile Mage made it into the Dragon Compendium, so you have that rather than the original issue, you should be set as well.

Fri
2008-08-05, 07:37 AM
This is cool, and I don't know how I never found this. I'm a magic missile fans. It's the single best spell in a spellcaster repertoire, and no, I don't care what you say.

Now my life is closer to perfection.

Energy missile might be useful to.. dunno, burn a troll? Now I can make my silly all magic missile spellcaster to be somewhat slightly more useful.

Triaxx
2008-08-05, 08:06 AM
Or taking out five trolls at once. With style.

*Wizard reading book. Fighters knock down trolls. Wizard growls at interruption and uses magic missile to finish the trolls without looking up for more than a moment.*