PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Dashing Swordsman: Paragon Path [PEACH]

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-08-07, 03:41 PM
Yep, it's the Dashing Swordsman again, but reimagined in a way that I haven't noticed around these boards. The advent of Paragon Paths in 4th Edition changes things substantially, and I figure that this makes logical sense...so, here's a try at a playable homage to Elan the Dashing Swordsman...

~~~

Dashing Swordsman
"It doesn't matter if you win or lose--as long as you look really cool doing it."

Prerequisite: Rogue class

The persistent trickster, you have channeled your personality into something highly suave, bold, and, well...dashing. Your tactics revolve around flashy swashbuckling and dramatic maneuvers, and you are known for your ability to maintain your composure in the midst of combat, even delivering one-liners or apropos impromptu poetry in the middle of a duel. Finesse is your strength.

Dashing Swordsman Path Features

Rapier Finesse (11th Level): You gain proficiency in the rapier, and you may apply your charisma modifier to basic attacks made with it, instead of your strength modifier or other ability score modifier. Your Rogue Weapon Talent now gives a bonus to attack rolls made with a rapier, and not with a dagger.

Impertinent Dodger (11th Level): You can spend an action point to increase your AC by your Charisma modifier until the end of your next turn, instead of taking an extra action.

Dramatic Entrance (16th Level): Add half of your Charisma modifier to your initiative checks.

Dashing Swordsman Exploits

Clever Taunt Dashing Swordsman Attack 11
You deliver a witticism as you attack your enemy, catching him offguard with your persona and swordsmanship.
Encounter • Martial, Weapon
Standard Action - Melee weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a light blade.
Target: One creature you have combat advantage against
Special: While you are wielding a rapier, this attack deals +1 damage.
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier + Charisma modifier damage
Effect: Target grants combat advantage to you and all allies until the end of your next turn.

Swooping Rescue Dashing Swordsman Utility 12
In true Dashing Swordsman fashion, you arrive to save the day.
Encounter • Martial
Immediate Interrupt - Ranged Charisma modifier
Trigger: An ally is about to take damage from an attack or environmental hazard (such as falling, or hazardous terrain).
Requirement: You must be trained in acrobatics.
Target: The endangered ally.
Effect: Move to any square adjacent to an ally within range. Swap places with that ally. If they were hit by an attack, the attack hits you instead.

Deathless Hero Dashing Swordsman Attack 20
You do not die, but heroically keep fighting against the enemy, your spirit unhampered by the wounds you have sustained.
Daily • Martial, Weapon
Standard Action - Melee weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a light blade.
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 3[W] + Dexterity modifier + Charisma modifier damage
Miss: Make a secondary attack against the target.
Secondary Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage
Effect: You spend a healing surge, and gain additional hitpoints equal to your Charisma modifier.

~~~

I'm kinda new to this, so let me know just how the power level on these things is. And...enjoy! It was fun coming up with this.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-08-07, 04:52 PM
I like Swooping Rescue. You have the range set to be equal to their Charisma Modifier, right? I want to make sure I'm reading it right.

Deathless Hero might be a little overpowered. I'd make the second attack 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage. It is a Striker attack, but the healing surge is a big bonus.

spamoo
2008-08-07, 04:56 PM
First of all, nice job. There are just a couple of issues that I'd like to raise. First of all, none of the Paragon Path abilities are tied to an action point. All other PPs have one of these so I'm not quite sure how the balance would work out. Also, deathless hero seems a bit overpowered. The healing surge plus the extra hit points seems a bit excessive due to the fact that strikers generally have almost no ability to heal themselves.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-08-07, 05:59 PM
First of all, nice job. There are just a couple of issues that I'd like to raise. First of all, none of the Paragon Path abilities are tied to an action point. All other PPs have one of these so I'm not quite sure how the balance would work out. Also, deathless hero seems a bit overpowered. The healing surge plus the extra hit points seems a bit excessive due to the fact that strikers generally have almost no ability to heal themselves.

I'd agree but it fits the idiom of the Dashing Swordsman. Perhaps gaining temporary hit points instead of healing a surge? A rogue at L.20 is going to have around 120 hit points so if the power granted temporary hits points equal to your Charisma Score...

A rogue with 18 charisma who added a point at each chance would have a charisma around 24, 1/5 of the average hp so it's less than a surge worth AND it's temporary.

Zaeron
2008-08-07, 06:30 PM
I'd agree but it fits the idiom of the Dashing Swordsman. Perhaps gaining temporary hit points instead of healing a surge? A rogue at L.20 is going to have around 120 hit points so if the power granted temporary hits points equal to your Charisma Score...

A rogue with 18 charisma who added a point at each chance would have a charisma around 24, 1/5 of the average hp so it's less than a surge worth AND it's temporary.

Daggermaster's level 20 daily, Deep Dagger Wound, does 4w+dex damage and ongoing 10 damage, on a crit it does 20 ongoing damage. It does 2w+dex damage on a miss.

Shadow Assassin's level 20 daily, Final Blow, requires a bloodied target and does 5w+dex, and you shift a number of squares equal to your CHA modifier. It does half damage on a miss.

Your power does a maximum of 3w+cha damage, which isn't much at all for a daily. I don't think allowing a second roll for a chance at doing 2w+cha damage is overpowered. I don't think allowing a healing surge is too powerful either - your power does significantly less damage than most of the other 20th level daily powers. In fact, out of all the paragon paths I've seen homebrewed so far, I'd say this is the closest to perfectly balanced I've seen.

I would, however, include an additional class feature at 11th (your class features are fairly low power, and it's not unheard of for classes to grant multiple features), one which has to do with action points. Every paragon path in the book grants some alternative benefit, or additional benefit, to using action points. I don't think it would be at all broken to add this without removing one of the other class features.

Overall, a very enjoyable read, and something I would definitely consider trying out!

OneFamiliarFace
2008-08-07, 09:27 PM
Perhaps the healing surge thing will fit better into the bard class, so as to give him some striking capabilities added to his (leader/controller ones...don't know).

The only small thing, and I'm not sure about this, but on Deathless hero, wouldn't the healing surge part be an Effect. Special was normally to add any bonuses, penalties, or extra requirements one must meet, isn't it? It's really small, but just to fit the other game mechanics. I'd have to go back home and grab my books to know.

Good job!

Tengu_temp
2008-08-07, 09:30 PM
http://ffrpg.republika.pl/approve.PNG

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-08-07, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I had fun homebrewing this...and it's my first homebrew project. I definitely think I'll stick in an action point feature, then. I kinda felt that it wasn't quite fleshed out anyway.

RTGoodman
2008-08-07, 11:05 PM
Everything looks great to me. You might could drop the secondary attack to 1[W] as someone else said, but for a Striker I think it's probably fine.

Thanks for the feedback! I had fun homebrewing this...and it's my first homebrew project. I definitely think I'll stick in an action point feature, then. I kinda felt that it wasn't quite fleshed out anyway.

Maybe something like "Better Lucky Than Quick" that gives you a bonus to AC equal to Charisma modifier until the end of your next turn when you spend an action point to take an extra action" (or maybe just when you use one to take an extra move action). I haven't spent a lot of time looking at Paragon Paths, though, so I don't really know how balanced it is.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-08-07, 11:06 PM
Hey, I like that idea!

EDIT: Added in "Impertinent Dodger" as a class feature, and modified the formatting of the Daily.

SpydersWebbing
2008-08-08, 01:29 AM
Very nice. I know I like the idea, and it's about high time it happened.

EDIT: To be constructive, I think the daily everyone's arguing about could probably be amped up just a little bit. Probably add your Dex mod in for damage or something like that.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-08-11, 01:38 PM
Made a few changes based on feedback from the Mythweavers community, I got rid of Swift Blade and altered Rapier Finesse a little, so that it modifies Rogue Weapon Talent and actually gives the Dashing Swordsman a reason to use his rapier. Messed around a little with Clever Taunt and the daily.