PDA

View Full Version : Otakon!

Paragon Badger
2008-08-08, 05:28 AM
Anyone going?

Anyone cosplaying? :smalltongue:

I was originally planning to go as Sokka from Avatar, yet the outfit wasn't finished in time (nor did my sister (http://maligni.deviantart.com/gallery/) get enough artwork done to sell in the auction. Otakon snuck up on us! :smallfrown:)

Instead, I'll just wear what I wore last year; Gregory House, complete with cane (though it doesn't have flames. :smallfrown:) ...and longer hair, since the outfit wasn't quite as planned as the last time. However, it will have an addition from last year; plastic gloves! Mwhahahahaha.

...:smallredface:

But yes, Otakon is today.

DeathQuaker
2008-08-11, 06:58 AM
I didn't see this till today, but I was there. A great con... I saw lots of great anime and only wanted to kill one heckling fanboy once. Which means it was fairly successful for me. :smallsmile:

And yes, GitPers, I finally saw "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" so I at last know what the heck everyone is talking about. :smallbiggrin:

Deepblue706
2008-08-11, 11:46 AM
Otacon, there's a guy walking around in here... and he's only got two dimensions!

Oh wait, wrong thread.

randman22222
2008-08-11, 11:52 AM
In Soviet Russia, costume plays you!

Blame Kaelaroth.

EDIT: I wanna cosplay my avatar. I mean my real avatar. Which is currently being used by Mauve Shirt. But not really. Prolly just go as a private eye for Halloween or something.

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-11, 11:55 AM
What are you talking about? My avatar is just fine!

burninnapalm
2008-08-11, 08:58 PM
OMG!!! i was at Otakon again this year. and yes i did Cosplay. I was the creature in the darkness!!! complete with the hello kitty umbrella. i will be wearing it again at Gencon this year (this weekend actually, and i am currently in indy typing this message) so if you are there come look me up, i will be glad to pose for a picture for you!

Note to the readers:

back to back conventions is fun, but you end up losing all of your money and are tired by the 5th day.:smallconfused: but i would gladly do it in a heart beat again.

NO SLEEP TILL OTAKON!

Alarra
2008-08-12, 12:41 AM
I drove by otakon and looked at the people in line, while I was on my way to pirates and wenches weekend....does that count?

Zeb The Troll
2008-08-12, 12:53 AM
OMG!!! i was at Otakon again this year. and yes i did Cosplay. I was the creature in the darkness!!! complete with the hello kitty umbrella. i will be wearing it again at Gencon this year (this weekend actually, and i am currently in indy typing this message) so if you are there come look me up, i will be glad to pose for a picture for you!

Note to the readers:

back to back conventions is fun, but you end up losing all of your money and are tired by the 5th day.:smallconfused: but i would gladly do it in a heart beat again.

NO SLEEP TILL OTAKON!You are, of course, reading the GenCon 2008 thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70116) then?

DeathQuaker
2008-08-12, 07:06 AM
I saw you in the Artist's Alley, burninnapalm! But you were too far away for me to be able to comment. :smallfrown: That was an excellent costume. :smallbiggrin:

burninnapalm
2008-08-15, 12:40 AM
I saw you in the Artist's Alley, burninnapalm! But you were too far away for me to be able to comment. :smallfrown: That was an excellent costume. :smallbiggrin:

thank you very much... i couldnt go 6 mins without someone taking my picture... lol but i will join hickmans killer breakfast and be the creature in the dark again.

You are, of course, reading the GenCon 2008 thread then?

i was unaware of this thread... so i will go and check it out. thanks for the link.

B-Man
2008-08-15, 07:15 PM
I was just wondering, of the Playgrounders that went to Otakon, did any of you attend the fansubbing panel hosted by FUNimation's Director of Marketing and several fansubbing communities?

turkishproverb
2008-08-15, 07:57 PM
I was just wondering, of the Playgrounders that went to Otakon, did any of you attend the fansubbing panel hosted by FUNimation's Director of Marketing and several fansubbing communities?

Is that anything like the "Fansubbing AM BAD! GREG SMASH!" Panel Greg Ayres does at MTAC every year?

B-Man
2008-08-15, 11:26 PM
Is that anything like the "Fansubbing AM BAD! GREG SMASH!" Panel Greg Ayres does at MTAC every year?

I'm not sure, I think that it was. It was a panel were representatives from Dattebayo LLC, Live-evil, and a few other communities were partaking in an open forum with Lance Heiskell, Director of Marketing at FUNimation, and John Sirabella, CEO of Media Blasters. I was just curious if there were any video or news written about it.

burninnapalm
2008-08-16, 06:33 PM
not to my knowledge, i dont think there is any media published on that. I did not go, as my time was spent in the dealer hall, raving, artist ally, and watching movies when my picture was not being taken. lol

turkishproverb
2008-08-17, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure, I think that it was. It was a panel were representatives from Dattebayo LLC, Live-evil, and a few other communities were partaking in an open forum with Lance Heiskell, Director of Marketing at FUNimation, and John Sirabella, CEO of Media Blasters. I was just curious if there were any video or news written about it.

So it's alot fairer than, simply because it let the Subbers say anything.

B-Man
2008-08-21, 05:56 PM
Well, I found the video of the panel. It was rather interesting. Here's the link for anyone who's curious: [link (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2008/fansubs-and-industry-panel)]