PDA

View Full Version : Insult Swordfighter

Arros Winhadren
2008-08-09, 06:24 PM
I've been wanting to create a prestige class based on Guybrush Threepwood since I wasn't satisfied with any of the options presented in the books. I've never made a prestige class before, so I took some inspiration from the Dashing Swordsman class that Elan has. I would really appreciate any tips for cleaning this up a little.

Insult Swordfighter
An Insult Swordfighter knows that the only real way to beat his enemies is to defeat them in a duel of wits and potty-mouth language. The IS is typically a pirate, but they can come from any walk of life.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements:
Alignment: Non-Lawful
BAB: +4
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Improved Feint
Skills: Perform (Insults) 9 ranks, Swim 9 ranks, Bluff 9 ranks.

Class Skills: I haven't gotten around to this yet.
Skill Points: 4 + Int Mod
Proficiencies: Proficient with all simple weapons, the rapier and with light armor.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|You Fight Like a Dairy Farmer, Sneak Attack +1d6

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Properties of Grog and Root Beer

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Sneak Attack +2d6

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Look, a Three-Headed Monkey!

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Sneak Attack +3d6

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|I've Got a Tip for You, Get the Point?

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Sneak Attack +4d6

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|I Will Milk Every Drop of Blood From Your Body!

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Sneak Attack +5d6

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Ultimate Insult[/table]

Sneak Attack
Sneak attack stacks with sneak attack bonuses gained from other classes.

You Fight Like a Dairy Farmer(Ex)
At 1st level an Insult Swordfighter learns how to sting his opponent with a well-worded insult. He may add his Charisma modifier to attack rolls.

Properties of Grog and Root Beer
At 2nd level an Insult Swordfighter becomes aware of grog's acidic properties and it's ingredients. He may now create grog without the use of the Craft(Alchemy) skill. He may use a cup of Grog to grant himself a +10 confidence bonus to his Open Lock skill. He also gain awareness of Root Beer's negative effect against the Undead. He may now create Root Beer without use of the Craft(Alchemy) skill. He may throw one bottle of root beer as a ranged touch attack, causing 3d6 damage to Undead.

Look, a Three-Headed Monkey!(Ex)
At 4th level an Insult Swordsman may attempt to trick his opponent into looking for the mythical Three-Headed Monkey as a move action. If the enemy fails a Sense Motive check versus the Insult Swordsman's Bluff Check - 10, then the enemy is distracted for one round and may not act on their next turn.

I've Got a Tip for You, Get the Point?(Ex)
At 6th level an Insult Swordsman has so mastered his use of insults that he can cause an enemy to flinch in fear at a moment's notice. He may now Feint as a free action, but must use his Perform(Insults) in place of Bluff.

I Will Milk Every Drop of Blood From Your Body!(Ex)
At 8th level and Insult Swordsman naturally uses his harshest insults in combat without even thinking. He may now add his Charisma modifier to his damage rolls.

The Ultimate Insult(Su)
At 10th level the Insult Swordsman has discovered the Ultimate Insult. He may now deliver and insult so blistering that it dissolves the very ego of the opponent he directs the insult at. The enemy must make a Will Save equal to the Insult Swordsman's Perform(Insult). If the enemy fails, then the Insult Swordsman makes an attack roll as usual, only instead of doing physical damage the Insult Swordsman deals Charisma damage. This ability may only be used once per day.

Spiryt
2008-08-09, 06:34 PM
Any reason for rather non standard AB and saves? Anyway, Guybrush never looked as high BaB type to me, although I've seen only 3rd and 4th part.

It seems that he was more though individual in first 2 parts.

Arros Winhadren
2008-08-09, 07:22 PM
No reason for the unusual saves/BAB besides that I'm new to DnD and I'm not sure what they should be. The inspiration is definitely Guybrush, but this character also has to be viable in a D&D world (which Guybrush would not be). I'm not sure what I can get away with with regards to BAB, but I suppose it could just be the rogue progression. As for Saves, I wanted it to be Reflex like the Rogue's, but Will also makes sense for someone well versed in Insults.

insecure
2008-08-09, 07:28 PM
Nice PrC you've got there.:smallsmile:

There's only one thing: I would swap the effects of "You Fight Like a Dairy Farmer" and "I Will Milk Every Drop of Blood From Your Body!", due to that feats, class features, etc, generally first gives a bonus to attacks, and then damage.

Arros Winhadren
2008-08-11, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the tip! Originally I was thinking about just trying to make a Swashbuckler that just uses Charisma and keep it as a base class, but I realized that I wanted to just go all out and make a PrC. So that' why the damage thing came first, to reflect the Swashbuckler. But I agree, it makes a bit more sense to have attack before damage.

I'm mostly wondering about balance. I really want this to be a playable class - does it seem legit?

Zeta Kai
2008-08-11, 11:20 PM
Here's the proper stats for an average BAB, a weak Fortitude, a strong Reflex, & a strong Will. Enjoy.

{table]Level|BAB|Fortitude|Reflex|Will|Special
1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|You Fight Like a Dairy Farmer, Sneak Attack +1d6
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Properties of Grog and Root Beer
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Sneak Attack +2d6
4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Look, a Three-Headed Monkey!
5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Sneak Attack +3d6
6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|I've Got a Tip for You, Get the Point?
7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Sneak Attack +4d6
8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|I Will Milk Every Drop of Blood From Your Body!
9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Sneak Attack +5d6
10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Ultimate Insult[/table]

PrGo
2009-04-24, 09:12 AM
Come on, man! Finish the skills section! I want to use this class on my Incubus so badly!!

Imagine a +15 to attak roll and damage because of charisma :smalltongue:

Also if you do anything else from Monkey Island, you have my support :smallamused:

Debihuman
2009-04-25, 12:09 AM
Bluff, Swim and Perform (Oratory, Comedy or Act) should be class skills. Other ones might include: Balance, Jump and Move Silently. You might also want to change Perform (Insult) to Perform (Oratory). It's not much of a change but Perform (Oratory) is listed under Perform while Perform (Insult) is not. Alternatively, Rather than requiring the 9 ranks of Perform (Oratory), you require 9 ranks of one of the following: Perform (Oratory), Perform (Act) or Perform (Comedy). This opens the class up a bit more.

I know Perform (Insult) looks kewl, but it has no substance.

Just my 2 cents.

Debby

P.S. What are the properties of Alchemical Grog and Root Beer?
P.P.S. Shouldn't the insult swordfighter be immune to others' insults especially those referring to his parentage? [i.e. "your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries..."]

DanielLC
2009-04-25, 02:23 PM
Does the player have to think of an insult to do any of these?

Is there any way to counter the insults? "How fitting, you fight like a cow".

Does the counter work better if it rhymes? "Every enemy I've met, I annihilated." "By the smell of your breath, they all suffocated."

Trodon
2009-04-25, 09:25 PM
i have a question

The Ultimate Insult(Su)
At 10th level the Insult Swordsman has discovered the Ultimate Insult. He may now deliver and insult so blistering that it dissolves the very ego of the opponent he directs the insult at. The enemy must make a Will Save equal to the Insult Swordsman's Perform(Insult). If the enemy fails, then the Insult Swordsman makes an attack roll as usual, only instead of doing physical damage the Insult Swordsman deals Charisma damage. This ability may only be used once per day.

what help dose Cha damage do in battle?