PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Deadlocked - Paragon Circuit (Amya vs. Velna)

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 03:29 AM
Amya vs. Velna

Striding confidently out into the arena, the blonde human woman who calls herself Velna regards her githyanki opponent with a look that betrays equal parts grim amusement and open malice.

Abruptly, she breaks into sardonic laughter, then calls out, "Don't worry! I'll make it quick."

Opening her right hand in a ready position, her left holding her magical orb, she waits for the signal to start ...

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 03:31 AM
Initiative (Danger Sense: best of two rolls)

Roll 1: [roll0]
Roll 2: [roll1]

Jokes
2008-08-10, 03:40 AM
Amya

Amya takes a moment to collect her thoughts before the battle, rolling her orb around in her hand.

Initiative, best of-
[roll0]
[roll1]

Jokes
2008-08-10, 04:03 AM
Amya (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=72547)

Amya raises a finger and a green ray of light shoots towards Velna. She then blinks out of sight.

HP: 112
AC: 34 Fort: 29 Ref: 33 Will: 32 (updated for blur)

[ ][ ][ ][ ][A][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][V][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Standard Action: Disintegrate
-attack [roll0]
-damage [roll1]
edit: thats a miss, so you just take the first three rolls +12 (18 damage) and take ongoing 5 damage, save ends.
Minor action: Blur
Move: secret :smallwink:

Jokes
2008-08-10, 04:21 AM
There was a roll here, but I am keeping it private, later I think I can type [rollX] to bring it back.

you hear nothing.
edit: [roll0] I didn't move, so by hearing nothing, I figured would clue in that I hadn't (since moving more than two squares would give a -5 penalty, making it impossible to pass your passive perception unless I rolled a 20)

OOTS_Rules 2
2008-08-10, 08:00 AM
In case of invisibility, PM me where you are moving. Because, you know, invisible and all that.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 02:50 PM
Ducking to one side, Velna manages to turn the strike into a glancing blow, then flashes a grim smirk and mirrors Amya's motion, causing her own form to shimmer and vanish as well.

Minor Action: Blur
Associated Stealth check: [roll0]
Other actions: secret so far :smallwink:

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 02:51 PM
Oh, and ...

Saving throw: [roll0]

Jokes
2008-08-10, 06:23 PM
Amya

Stepping out into the open, Amya readies her next attack.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][A ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ V][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Since anywhere you would be is within 5 squares, I'll hold off until you show me where you are.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 07:54 PM
Actually, Blur makes you invisible to enemies five or more squares away, so the visible area is within four squares. However, that's very much within four squares but should also trigger my readied action (to cast Sleep as soon as Amya becomes visible) before you get that close ...

[ ][ ][ ][ ][A ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][V ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

My location is there. Yours should actually be four squares away in whichever direction you were moving from, if I understand readying and interrupt actions correctly.

Action to follow.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 08:05 PM
Seeing the Amya's hazy form sail into focus, Velna favors her with a wicked, triumphant little grin. "There you are!" she purrs. "So ... sleep!"

Arcane energy swirls about the githyanki's form, but Velna isn't finished yet. "And ... Ice Tomb!"

Spending an action point to add an extra action, which also adds +7 to attack (+3 from Action Surge, +4 from Battle Mage Action)

Sleep (attack roll): [roll0]
Ice Tomb (attack roll): [roll1]

Jokes
2008-08-10, 08:09 PM
Um, aren't you within 4 squares of me?

[ ][ ][ ][ ][1][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][2][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][3][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][4][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 08:10 PM
And the effects of that ...

Since the Sleep hit, as a free action, Velna uses her orb specialization to apply a 5-point penalty to saves against it, meaning a 16 or better is needed. The immediate effect is that Amya is slowed, and if she fails her save, she then falls unconscious (save ends).

As for the Ice Tomb: [roll0] damage, and Amya is stunned until the end of Velna's next turn, although it's also impossible to get line of effect against Amya during this time.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 08:11 PM
Um, aren't you within 4 squares of me?

[ ][ ][ ][ ][1][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][2][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][3][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][4][ ][ ][ ][ ]

In that case, I'd just take the standard action attack immediately after the move, since you'd be visible at the end of my move. I hadn't gotten a reply from OOTS yet, but I told him in secret that I moved there.

(And I mentioned that I'd either attack immediately on seeing you or ready an action to attack the moment you became visible if I didn't. I sent him a PM, but ... no response yet.)

Jokes
2008-08-10, 08:26 PM
Wait, +29, where did all that come from? Bracers of perfect shot only apply to ranged basic attacks.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 08:29 PM
Wait, +29, where did all that come from? Bracers of perfect shot only apply to ranged basic attacks.

"Spending an action point to add an extra action, which also adds +7 to attack (+3 from Action Surge, +4 from Battle Mage Action)"

... and they're untyped bonuses, so they stack.

(And those bracers only add to damage anyway, not to attack.)

Jokes
2008-08-10, 08:42 PM
Do they stack?

There’s one important rule for bonuses: Don’t add together bonuses of the same type to the same roll or score. If you have two bonuses of the same type that apply to the same roll or score, use the higher bonus.

Edit: besides, Action surge only applies to the action you use to get another action.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 08:54 PM
Do they stack?

Yes. Read further in that same passage, where it talks about untyped bonuses. Action Surge and Battle Mage Action are both untyped bonuses, so they stack.

Edit: besides, Action surge only applies to the action you use to get another action.

Actually, you're right! So subtract 3 from the first attack roll (it still hits, though). My mistake, and good catch. I'll remember that for the future. :smallsmile:

Jokes
2008-08-10, 08:55 PM
Since I'm assuming you used an action point first, the sleep hits, but you are denied the +3 on the second attack (see above) so that misses.

Jokes
2008-08-10, 08:58 PM
I'm confused :smallannoyed:

Jokes
2008-08-10, 09:05 PM
In any case, I will use displacement as an immediate interrupt on the Sleep spell.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 09:08 PM
I'm confused :smallannoyed:

You correctly pointed it out to me:

Benefit: You gain a +3 bonus to attack rolls you make during any action you gained by spending an action point.

The action I gained is the one I spent casting Ice Tomb. It's apparently not possible, RAW, to use the +3 bonus on your first action -- only on the action you gain by spending the action point.

So both hit, but had the attack rolls been exactly reversed, then the Sleep would have missed because the +3 did not, and could not, apply to it.

Before, I thought it applied to both attacks like the Battle Mage Action does, but I was mistaken. It only applies to the extra action gained by spending the action point.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 09:19 PM
In any case, I will use displacement as an immediate interrupt on the Sleep spell.

Alright. Re-rolling, then (and with the correct attack bonus this time):

Sleep, second attempt: [roll0] (applying +4 for Battle Mage Action)

Jokes
2008-08-10, 09:24 PM
Rats :smallfrown: Shoulda used shield on the ice tomb...

So, I'm stunned, but encased in a block of ice. Not much I can do... I still get a saving throw?

[roll0]

Huh-freaking-zah!

Edit: I believe thats my turn over, but you don't have line of effect to me

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 09:32 PM
Rats :smallfrown: Shoulda used shield on the ice tomb...

So, I'm stunned, but encased in a block of ice. Not much I can do... I still get a saving throw?

[roll0]

Huh-freaking-zah!

Edit: I believe thats my turn over, but you don't have line of effect to me

Correct. Nice save! :smalltongue:

IC:

Seeing her opponent manage to retain hold of her senses, Velna purses her lips in a grimace of frustration.

"Very well, then," she murmers darkly, beginning a new gesture. "How about this?" She delays a moment, just long enough for the ice to fall away, and then, immediately: "Prismatic Beams!"

Readying an action to cast Prismatic Beams the moment the Ice Tomb ends. And since nothing else interesting is going to happen until then, here's the attack:

Prismatic Beams: [roll0]

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 09:36 PM
And the effect of that is ...

For hitting Fortitude: [roll0] poison damage, and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends)

For hitting Reflex: [roll1] fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends)

For hitting Will: Dazed (save ends)

Jokes
2008-08-10, 09:46 PM
Amya

As the walls fall around her, she is hit by a blast of light. Reeling, she counters with the same spell.

Standard action: Prismatic Beams
[roll0]

Jokes
2008-08-10, 09:54 PM
Hits all three

Fort: [roll0] Poison Damage (ongoing 5)
Reflex: [roll1] Fire damage (ongoing 5)
Will: Dazed.

Query, using Orb of imposition, do I add it to all three or just one? I was thinking this after the last match, but it wasn't a contention since he never rolled in the 'zone', either failing to roll 12 or rolling 16.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 09:54 PM
Amya

As the walls fall around her, she is hit by a blast of light. Reeling, she counters with the same spell.

Standard action: Prismatic Beams
[roll0]

Edit: Never mind. :smalltongue:

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 09:56 PM
Hits all three

Fort: [roll0] Poison Damage (ongoing 5)
Reflex: [roll1] Fire damage (ongoing 5)
Will: Dazed.

Query, using Orb of imposition, do I add it to all three or just one? I was thinking this after the last match, but it wasn't a contention since he never rolled in the 'zone', either failing to roll 12 or rolling 16.

I think it's just one since it says "an effect," but admittedly that isn't 100 percent certain. That's what I had assumed, though.

(And don't forget to roll your own saves at the end of your turn.)

Jokes
2008-08-10, 09:59 PM
Can you use shield? You used your immediate action this turn with Prismatic Beams. You can only use one per turn.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 10:08 PM
Can you use shield? You used your immediate action this turn with Prismatic Beams. You can only use one per turn.

No, I can't. You're right. I haven't gotten used to the idea of readied actions counting as immediate actions. Ignore the shield.

Jokes
2008-08-10, 10:10 PM
Cool, so I use orb of imposition on your will save (-6 penalty), the others have -2

Fort [roll0]
Reflex [roll1]
Will [roll2]

edit, now this is one of those times where you don't have to take damage from a save. I made the save for Will and Reflex, right?

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 10:25 PM
Cool, so I use orb of imposition on your will save (-6 penalty), the others have -2

Fort [roll0]
Reflex [roll1]
Will [roll2]

edit, now this is one of those times where you don't have to take damage from a save. I made the save for Will and Reflex, right?

You did, even though I forgot that I impose a 2-point penalty to saves, too. And you would still have saved against Sleep, so essentially nothing is changed.

But why wouldn't you suffer the ongoing damage? The start of your turn comes after the interrupt, so I would assume it applies once immediately, and then at the end of your turn, you save, and it no longer affects you (not the fire damage, anyway).

Jokes
2008-08-10, 10:32 PM
But when your turn ended, it became my turn, you just interrupted me before I could attack.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 10:34 PM
Finding herself in an unexpectedly tight spot, Velna touches her amulet, drawing on its power to help her endure this trial.

(minor action) Amulet of False Life: +27 temporary hit points

Saves:

Applying the appropriate penalties and also the bonus for Human Perseverance:

Fortitude: [roll0]
Reflex: [roll1]
Will: [roll2]

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 10:37 PM
But when your turn ended, it became my turn, you just interrupted me before I could attack.

I interrupted before you could do anything. Doesn't that mean it's before you've effectively been able to start your turn?

Well, we might have to get a third opinion on this, because it seems we don't agree on this point. It seems to me that the whole point of having ongoing damage at the beginning is to ensure you suffer it at least once no matter what.

Jokes
2008-08-10, 10:47 PM
She extends her palm and fires a blast of energy and Valya. Sheathing her orb, Amya draws her staff.

Standard action: Spectral Ram
[roll0] vs fortitude.
Minor action: Sheath orb
Minor Action: Draw Staff

I don't mind taking the ongoing damage.
10 fire (5 from last turn)
5 poison (5 from last turn)

Jokes
2008-08-10, 10:51 PM
forgot to save

fire [roll0]

And I'm bloodied btw, so Bloodthread gives me a +2 to ac and saving throws, would being dazed have allowed me to use my at will when I became bloodied?. ANd solid sound will give me a +2 to reflex.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 11:01 PM
Reeling, and by some miracle evading enough of the brutal spell to shrug off its effects, Velna grabs one of her healing potions and downs it in one swift motion.

(minor action only with Quick Draw) Potion of Vitality: +25 hit points, and make a save

Save:

vs. daze: [roll0]

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 11:02 PM
Yosh! And end of round saves ...

[spoiler]vs. poison: [roll0]
vs. fire: [roll1][spoiler]

Jokes
2008-08-10, 11:06 PM
Nice save.

Amya too draws a potion and drinks deeply. She fires a volley of missiles at Valya.

Minor: Draw potion
Minor: Drink Potion (regain 25 hitpoints.)
Standard: Force Volley
-attack [roll0] (+4 for targeting one creature.)
You... are...kidding...me...

+2 to reflex again

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 11:27 PM
No sooner does she manage to shake off the daze with the help of her potion than Velna finds herself in the path of hurtling bolts of force! The attacks come an instant too late, however, as she recovers her footing and throws herself to one side to evade the missiles. In the same moment, she snaps another potion out and downs it, her hand a blur of motion.

Straightening and recovering her briefly shaken confidence, the human flashes a cocky grin. "No good!" Lunging forward suddenly, she gestures sharply and speaks with a voice that seems suddenly to boom with violent authority. "Fly away!"

Minor action (draw and drink potion), move action (adjacent to Amya), standard action:

Forceful Retort (attack roll vs. Fortitude): [roll0]

End of round saves:

vs. fire: [roll1]

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-10, 11:28 PM
And the effect of that:

[roll0], slide one square directly away, and fall prone

Jokes
2008-08-10, 11:46 PM
can you put up a map of our positions?

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-11, 12:08 AM
can you put up a map of our positions?

Sure.

Actually, since we figured out earlier that Velna would have seen Amya right after her move, and the confrontation began then ... that means Amya never previously moved from her initial spot, I guess. Which means with Velna's move toward her, she's still right against the wall and ... well, Velna would have shoved Amya directly back, but there's no "back" to go to, so she just shoves her directly into the wall of the arena for 0 damage but cinematic goodness. (Or in other words, she forgoes the slide and just knocks Amya prone.)

Jokes
2008-08-11, 06:55 AM
Lying against the wall, with Valya towering over her, Amya rises and lets loose with a blast of energy.

Move action: Stand up
Standard action: Forceful retort
[roll0] vs fort.
[roll1]

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-11, 09:46 AM
Velna again sidesteps her increasingly desperate opponent's spell. "Ohohoho!" she laughs loudly, her expression one of sheer, wicked glee as she torments her victim. She snaps another healing potion out and downs it, the effects of this last one wiping away the last vestiges of her earlier injuries.

"Stay down!" she cries, reaching out as though to grip the air in front of her ...

Spectral Ram: [roll0]

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-11, 09:51 AM
... and catching hold of Amya with an invisible hand of pure force, lifting her off her feet! Velna slams her githyanki opponent back against the wall behind her once again, then violently down onto her face!

[spoiler] damage and fall prone ... again (forgoing the slide ... or just sliding Amya back into the wall again, however you want to look at it)

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-11, 10:16 AM
~sigh~ I'd edit that so the spoiler actually worked like a spoiler, but then I'm pretty sure my damage roll would vanish. :smallfrown:

Jokes
2008-08-11, 05:55 PM
Gitting her teeth, Amya again rises to her feet and lets loose a burst of thunder.

Move: Stand up
Standard: Thunderburst
-[roll0] vs fort

Jokes
2008-08-11, 06:04 PM
[roll0] (oops forgot raging storm, add 2 more)
and pushed straight bac5 5 squares (4 from wisdom, 1 from Gauntlets of the ram)
solid sound: +2 will
minor: draw potion
Blur is back in effect

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-11, 07:01 PM
Unable to evade the concussive shockwave, Velna throws her arms protectively over her face as the spell sends her sliding back.

She straightens a moment later, looking slightly battered but otherwise not much worse for wear, and that cocky grin spreads over her face once again, although it has a slightly more grim edge this time.

"This fight ..." she declares, gathering energy in the palm of her free hand, her orb glowing brilliantly.

"... is over! Disintegrate!"

Disintegrate: [roll0]

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-11, 07:03 PM
Damage:

[roll0] + ongoing 5 ... but by my count, it doesn't really matter because that pushes Amya below zero no matter what

Jokes
2008-08-11, 07:05 PM
Don't forget your move action, you cant see me.

Jokes
2008-08-11, 07:28 PM
Because if I go down, I'm using arcane rejuvenation to come back up.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-12, 12:05 AM
Mm, true. Velna would have taken one step forward to bring Amya back into visible range (funny you had to remind me when I was the one who first pointed out you're only visible within four squares ... blonde moment :smalltongue:).

But ... unfortunately, Arcane Rejuvenation doesn't work quite like (and isn't quite as good as) No Surrender. No Surrender is an immediate reaction, which means it happens after the triggering event (after you drop to 0 or fewer hit points), and then it brings you fully back to half no matter how low you went.

Arcane Rejuvenation is an immediate interrupt, which means it happens before the triggering event (before being reduced to 0 or fewer hit points), and then it only restores your level plus your Intelligence modifier in hit points, after which the triggering event then hits you.

So you end up with:

Start: 112 hit points
Ice Tomb: -27 (85 hit points)
Prismatic Beams 1: -21 (64 hit points)
Prismatic Beams 2: -17 (47 hit points)
Ongoing damage (fire): -10 (37 hit points)
Ongoing damage (poison): -5 (32 hit points)
Drink potion: +25 (57 hit points)
Forceful Retort: -31 (26 hit points)
Spectral Ram: -19 (7 hit points)
Arcane Rejuvenation (immediate interrupt, triggered by Disintegrate: +27 (34 hit points)
Disintegrate: -29 + ongoing -5 (5 hit points, dropping to 0 at the start of your turn)

... which I know is a letdown, especially when you only needed one more hit point to stay up. :smallfrown: If it's any consolation, my Arcane Rejuvenation will never be any better than yours. It's only a level 12 utility power, so I guess it would be unbalancing for it to be as strong as a level 22 one.

Edit: Kind of a pity, too. It would have been kind of fun writing Velna's reaction if Amya still didn't go down. :smalltongue:

Jokes
2008-08-12, 12:46 AM
The trigger is "You are reduced to 0 hit points or fewer" not, "You are hit by an attack that reduces your hitpoints to 0 or fewer." But then it is an interrupt... :smallconfused:

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-12, 01:25 AM
Exactly. I know it's a letdown, but think about it: if it worked the other way, it would be a level 12 utility that's arguably better than a level 22 utility (because you don't take a -2 penalty). I actually thought what you thought about it when I made Velna, and then while I was making her, I looked at it more closely, then looked at No Surrender, then looked back at Arcane Rejuvenation and kind of did an "OMG."

I think it's great that we're doing this, though. Look at how much we both learned about the rules in just this one fight!

Jokes
2008-08-12, 04:01 AM
True, but No surrender brings you back to half hitpoints, the most you would get out of AR is about the same as a healing surge.

In any case, I'd say you have me beat. :smallwink: