PDA

View Full Version : Prog Metal/Modern Prog in the playground

Moff Chumley
2008-08-10, 12:56 PM
Those Power Metal guys get their own thread, so why shouldn't the Proggers get theirs? :smallcool: Dream Theater, The Mars Volta, Rush (Listen to 2112 overture an tell me that they're something else. :smallamused:), Muse, Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Opeth, Dream Theater, Oliver Wakeman, Transatlantic, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Hakwind, et cetera... I want opinions, videos, bands I've forgotten to mention, playlists, and cake. Lots of cake. :smallbiggrin:

I'm obviously a pretty big Dream Theater fan. I think that most of their stuff is equally great, with the exception of SC, 6doiT, an of course, FiI. Liquid Tension Experiment is pretty awesome as well. King Crimson's newer stuff is great, but all the way back to 21st Century Schizoid Man and Red have they been rocking.

zeratul
2008-08-10, 01:10 PM
I'm in to opeth, and I think Ive heard people refer to Tyr as prog viking metal and I'm really into them, great band.

Whoracle
2008-08-10, 01:14 PM
You definately forgot Meshuggah. If any band ever was progressive, it is them.

As for the rest: Dream Theater are nice, as is Opeth. But those three are the sum of my knwoledge and interest in prog-whatever.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-10, 05:01 PM
Hehe, sorry, but TMV and Dream Theater are a good deal more progressive than Meshuggah. I mean, Francis the Mute. Just... Francis the Mute.

btw, what's your favorite Dream Theater album?

DraPrime
2008-08-10, 05:13 PM
Well the only prog metal band I really listen to is Dream Theater. And their best album? Definitely Scenes from a Memory. That album is god.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-10, 05:17 PM
M:p2 is definitely awesome, but I still think that Octavarium (at least, the title track) compare, as does all of Train of Thought and Images and Words. (I lurve my IaW. :smallbiggrin:)

DraPrime
2008-08-10, 05:22 PM
Octavarium (the song) is greatly outdone by Change of Seasons. And I never really liked Images and Words. There were only 2 good songs in my opinion, and those are Pull me Under and Take the Time. While other DM fans rave about how great Metropolis I is, I really can't see it. I think I listened to it like 50 times trying to figure out what people like about it, but I gave up.

Whoracle
2008-08-10, 05:30 PM
btw, what's your favorite Dream Theater album?

Definately "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence"... and the tour for that was intense.

Hoggy
2008-08-10, 05:42 PM
Fav Dream Theater... that I own, probably Once In A Livetime (live albums are kinda cheating, but meh :smallbiggrin:). Voices, Trial of Tears, Hollow Years, Change of Seasons 7. Gorgeous.

I don't own many of their studio albums (only 3 :smallfrown:), but of the three I have:
- Scenes From A Memory is all kinds of awesome. The riff at the beginning of Home... fantastic.
- Octavarium is the album that got me into prog. Loving it, especially Sacrificed Sons and Octavarium (title track). Great opener on Root Of All Evil as well.
- Systematic Chaos is... meh. it's a good album, I like listening to it, but it sounds quite... empty. Ministry Of Lost Souls is the best track IMO, but it's still not up there with the DT greats.

Of other modern prog, Opeth and Porcupine Tree are two of my favourite prog bands. Another is Enslaved - a brilliant band, kind of the Opeth but using a Black Metal base instead of Death Metal. Muse are also damn good (Citizen Erased... ohohoho). Also a big fan of Coheed & Cambria, a brilliant band if you can tolerate the vocals.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-10, 06:22 PM
I dunno, Octavarium and Change of Seasons are both awesome, but in very different ways. I think they both summed up what the band was trying to do at the times. (eg, Change of Seasons is the quintessential DT piece from IaW through FiI, and Octavarium sums up ToT through SC fairly well.)

Glawackus
2008-08-11, 05:33 PM
Hm...I never really considered Spock's Beard or Porcupine Tree to be prog meta...oh, modern prog too. Excellent.

If you like King Crimson, this is the best cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man of all time. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWS3ofzuiMU)

No love for Marillion, Threshold, or Ayreon yet? Disappointment. (Actually, I can kind of understand the last one...01010...whatever was kinda lame IMO.)

Oh, and when, in the name-a God is TSO's new album going to come out?

Moff Chumley
2008-08-12, 01:26 PM
Um, I don't really think TSO counts as Prog.

W-w-wait, did you actaully mention Spock's Beard? There's someone else on this board who'se heard of them? :smalleek::smallredface::smallbiggrin: Yay. What's your favorite SB album? I gotta say, V and Kindness of Strangers are pretty kickass, but Snow is one of the most beautiful works of art I've ever heard or seen.

(I can't accsess YouTube from my computer at the moment, would you mind telling me who that cover is by? Thanks.) :smallsmile:

Glawackus
2008-08-12, 05:02 PM
Um, I don't really think TSO counts as Prog.

W-w-wait, did you actaully mention Spock's Beard? There's someone else on this board who'se heard of them? :smalleek::smallredface::smallbiggrin: Yay. What's your favorite SB album? I gotta say, V and Kindness of Strangers are pretty kickass, but Snow is one of the most beautiful works of art I've ever heard or seen.

(I can't accsess YouTube from my computer at the moment, would you mind telling me who that cover is by? Thanks.) :smallsmile:

Either Snow or the self-titled album they recently put out. Kindness of Strangers is pretty darn good, though.

The cover is by an all-female Asian string ensemble. No vocals. It's pretty wild.

(As far as TSO, I've always seen them listed under "prog rock". /shrug)

Edit: Also, I know a guy who knows a guy who was in a band that opened for the Beard. That's about as close as I get to celebrity. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2008-08-12, 06:20 PM
Ah, yes, that video. That one's good, I've seen it before. I like the power trio version during the Red era, though. It's amazing how Nirvana-esque it sounds.

I'm not huge into SB's self title'd album, but there are some very good songs. I love the As Far As The Mind Can See epic, though. As good as anything they did with Neil.

Dragor
2008-08-15, 04:23 PM
Modern Prog- I love Porcupine Tree. There's just something so ethereal and mysterious about them in some of their songs. Even know it's some of their more loud songs which drew me to them, its their more calm and quiet songs which now hold my attention.

I like some Muse stuff (BLASPHEMER! BLASPHEMER!) but on the whole aren't into them that much. I love Map of the Problematique, though.