PDA

View Full Version : what do you think?

fraud
2008-08-11, 05:44 PM
I have several campagin ideas and I don't know which to do first, they're all set in the same world so I was thinking maybe do them all at once and ask the players which campagin they'd like to play. I realise this has several downsides but I'm curious what other people think.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-11, 05:46 PM
I think the title could be a little more informative. :smallsmile:

I also think that if you give a rough outline of your ideas you might get more helpful responses.

evisiron
2008-08-11, 06:01 PM
I think the title could be a little more informative. :smallsmile:

I also think that if you give a rough outline of your ideas you might get more helpful responses.

Agreed.

Probably a good idea to ask. Players will sometimes be 'better behaved' if they are involved in a campaign that they really like.

Mr Pants
2008-08-11, 06:05 PM
Pitching your ideas to the group sounds like a good idea to me. I'd like to hear your ideas too, I'm curious.

sonofzeal
2008-08-11, 06:33 PM
Giving players choice is always Win, especially if there's a significant difference in tone and content for the different campaigns. You also might be interested in giving them something like the following playstyle quiz:

1) Role Playing --- Mix --- Roll Playing
2) High --- Mid --- Low Fantasy (Think high as Narnia, where animals talk and everything is exotic, mid more like classic D&D, and low being more like Robin Hood or King Arthur)
3) High --- Mid --- Low Arcane (High means mage guilds in every respectable city; Low means difficulty finding even basic magic items)[/I]
4) High --- Mid --- Low Divine (High means gods walk the earth and affect every facet of the world; Low means they're probably real, but distant and rarely if ever interfere)
5) High --- Mid --- Low Power
6) High --- Mid --- Low Difficulty
7) Dark --- Average --- Light Tone and Mood (High would be "Night of the Living Dead" or Serial Killers in the Town, Light is more "rescue the child from the Ogres, who have not killed or molested it")
8) G --- PG --- R Rated descriptions and content

(note: much of this was stolen shamelessly from another famous guide, credit goes to the origional author whom I've lost the name of)

Colmarr
2008-08-11, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure that you should go into as much detail as sonofzeal recommends, but I agree with everyone that it's a good idea to give your players some input into the type of campaign.

When our DM offered us the choice of:

1. A high-magic FR adventuring campaign; or

2. A gritty noir "dirty dozen"-inspired Eberron campaign

the vote was unanimous in favour of Eberron. I imagine the DM (and the players) would have been disappointed if he's spent time and effort on the FR campaign and we didn't enjoy it.

sonofzeal
2008-08-11, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure that you should go into as much detail as sonofzeal recommends, but I agree with everyone that it's a good idea to give your players some input into the type of campaign.
Well, the good thing about detail is you can ignore as much of it as you want. Either take out questions or ignore answers as appropriate, based on GM taste.

Colmarr
2008-08-11, 10:59 PM
Well, the good thing about detail is you can ignore as much of it as you want. Either take out questions or ignore answers as appropriate, based on GM taste.

Oh, I wasn't criticising the suggestion. It's a good one and I've used it myself.

It's just that with that many questions you (1) run the risk that people can't be bothered answering, and (2) you get such a mish-mash of answers that it seems like you can't please everyone.

Hence my suggestion that the DM should just come up with 2 or 3 overarching themes and get the players to pick from them.