PDA

View Full Version : Why does knowledge of a name have to do with a sound you like?

Setra
2008-08-11, 10:32 PM
I had an argument with someone earlier who said I didn't really like a specific band because I didn't know the names of anyone who played in it.

What does knowing names have to do with enjoying a specific sound?

Is it impossible to hear a song on the radio and think 'Wow I really like that song', even if you have no clue who performed it?

Honestly I think if you take the time to memorize a band or whatnot and become a 'fan' you run the risk of liking them less. My cousin as an example was one of those people who burned all his Metallica CD's during the Napster ordeal.

Okay? So they made Napster go away/cost money, doesn't change the sound of their music. Another friend tossed his old Metallica CD's because 'They sound sucky now' ... Does that change the sound on the CD?

Personally I like what I like, when it comes to music I am free of bias because the only thing I really know about music is 'if you like it, listen to it'.

thubby
2008-08-11, 10:43 PM
I'm with you, but i understand what your friend is getting at.
there are many things that are more enjoyable when you invest yourself in them.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-11, 10:46 PM
I'm with you two Serta... I have a bunch of QOTSA (Queens of the Stone Age) songs on iTunes (maybe 35), but do I know the name of anyone in the band?... No. Its all about what you like...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Music taste is in the ear of the guy who just popped $20 bucks for a CD when he only wanted the cover song. :smallwink:

Dhavaer
2008-08-12, 12:44 AM
I agree. The only reason I bother trying to find out the name of a song's artist is so I can find the song again.

warty goblin
2008-08-12, 12:49 AM
I agree. The only reason I bother trying to find out the name of a song's artist is so I can find the song again.

Exactly, it is not uncommon for me to hear a song on the radio and like it without knowing who it's by. In fact, given my somewhat... isoteric taste in music I generally use musician recognition as sort of an anti- advertisement, since it allows me to know what songs I will almost certainly detest without having to inflict them upon my ears.

Pearl
2008-08-12, 01:31 AM
I do not listen to songs or bands I do not like, period. However, I am very much against a dismissal of music as a construct that exists solely to create pretty or interesting sound. As a medium, music has so much more to offer.

A movie is judged by more than just its visual appearance. It can be exalted or turned into an insult for a variety of factors, including script, acting, editing, and even music. This is taken for granted as all of these are integral components. If any one is poor enough the movie will be sneered and jeered at by a pile of critics.

Even comic books need to have both talented and creative art alongside good and interesting writing to be truly popular. The same is definitively true with music.

Similarly to how many a goth/emo/whatever girl will as likely as not carry a satchel with Heath Ledger's awe inspiring Joker on it, band T-shirts are universally popular and a way of self-expression. Music is a powerful force for self-expression and many lyricists make a serious effort to impart their own ideas to their fans and idle listeners. Sure, there isn't anything wrong with tuning out everything about a band but its raw, unadulterated noise and whether or not it is pleasing, just as one could read a compelling book for it's characters and ignore the message.

Unfortunately one is picking and choosing which part of the medium to embrace. Again, there is nothing wrong with this, and certainly it is a logical choice. However, it is no more the only choice than learning the line-up and philosophy of a band to enjoy them at all is.

Powerslave44
2008-08-12, 01:51 AM
As for your friend, new Metallica is terrible, that's probably what he was referring to.

Personally whether or not I'll listen to something regardless of how much I like perhaps that one specific song depends on how much I value the rest of the artists work, because I want to know if it's worth my time to put a full album of theirs on one of my playlists. No, I don't download single songs by artists and yes, it's because I'm really OCD about having things organized all nice and neat. A bunch of single mp3's here and there of songs that are *ok* have no business on my hard drive because it's painstakingly categorized by genre, alphabetical by artist, and then chronologically by album release date. Sure I won't flip off the radio if a song that I think is ok is on, but I'm not going to make a point of collecting the library of their work if that's the only song I like.

Revlid
2008-08-12, 07:31 AM

Presactly.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-12, 09:01 AM
As for your friend, new Metallica is terrible, that's probably what he was referring to.

They aren't terrible... They're just bad. I mean, sure, compared to the Classic Metallica they are a 2-bit garage band, but as a whole, they are just pretty bad. Not epic failure (yet :smalleek:).

Moff Chumley
2008-08-12, 01:32 PM
I like to know artists, band members, et cetera, because it allows me to find more music that I think I'll like. For instance, if I didn't know who Bill Bruford was, I'd never have heard of King Crimson, because the first I heard of them when was it was mentioned that "King Crimson stole Yes's drummer"! I mean, I liked Yes's stuff in general, and the drumming in particular, so logically, I assumed that King Crimson's stuff might be worth listening to. If I didn't know the name of Genesis's singer, I would never have gotten into his amazing solo stuff. (I mean Peter Gabriel. I promise. :smalleek:) I understand how you /unwashed indy fans/ might not have that kind of drive, but meh.

SurlySeraph
2008-08-12, 01:36 PM
Let's see, how many members of bands I like can I name?

Disturbed - David Draiman, Dan Donegan, and what's-his-name
Metallica - Lars Ulrich. He is still in Metallica, right?
Arch Enemy - Angela Gossow
Linkin Park - Chester Shinoda
Black Sabbath - Ozzy Osbourne
Evanescence - Amy Lee
Haste the Day - no one
Demon Hunter - no one
Iron Maiden - no one
Killswitch Engage - no one
Drowning Pool - no one
Machine Head - no one

Nope, looks like knowing the names of band members has no effect on how much I like the band.

zeratul
2008-08-12, 02:59 PM
I tend to know the names of people in bands but I listen to tons of music and research the bands and find out about the members, since I'm that sort of music obsessed person. However if a bands new album suck I'll still listen to their old stuff and enjoy it. Also remember, sometimes bands hit a bad patch, then get back up and become awesome again.

Fan
2008-08-12, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=SurlySeraph;4696148]Let's see, how many members of bands I like can I name?
Linkin Park - Chester Shinoda

That alone should make you DIE inside.

SurlySeraph
2008-08-12, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE]
That alone should make you DIE inside.

Oh yeah, Mike Shinoda and Chester what's-his-name. Proves my point though, doesn't it? :smalltongue:

UglyPanda
2008-08-12, 08:24 PM
Knowing the name of a band doesn't ever make me appreciate it more. There are plenty of songs that I don't like by bands that I love. When I learn who wrote a song, it's far more likely that I'll switch my opinion to hating it, then chastise myself a thousand times for ever liking it and poke out my eardrums so I'd never have to listen to it again.

Premsyl
2008-08-15, 11:45 AM
I've been to three or four Flogging Molly concerts, and consider myself a rabid fan of their music and I can only name one of the members of their band. In my opinion the only reason to know the name of a band you like is to find more music by them that you would like. Everything else is how much one would like to become personally invested in a band. NOFX is my favorite band and I can name every bandmember, but I enjoyed their music for years before I made an effort to actually learn the guys' names.

SilentNight
2008-08-15, 12:13 PM
As for your friend, new Metallica is terrible, that's probably what he was referring to. Sadly, this is a trend amongst awesome older bands. Particularly Rush. They were, in my opinion, one of the greatest prog bands ever. Their newer stuff however, is just kinda -ish. If you know what I mean.