PDA

View Full Version : Iron Avatarist Suggestion Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-30, 12:25 AM
Warhammer 40k could be a neat idea... though perhaps somewhat limited, seeing as it's not as popular as other topics.

LoopyZebra
2006-08-30, 08:10 AM
I wasn't trying to be mean Appolo, just that a good topic is needed or the whole thing will fall apart; it has done so in the past when something too narrow is selected.

Omen
2006-08-30, 08:30 AM
Sorry Appollo, but I agree with Loopy here. Any topic has to be broad enough for creativity and enough un-fantasy to warrant a 'special' event.

Well, 40K is do-able but I would suggest GW games or even strategy boardgames.

I personally, based on Loopy's avatar, would like to see an animal theme contest. Not necessarily animals, but avatars dressed as or resembling animals.

Raistlin1040
2006-08-30, 12:15 PM
Naruto. The manga not the character.

Catargories

Naruto Hero
OotS Hero dressed as Naruto hero
Naruto Villain
OotS Villain dressed as a Naruto Villain
Fight scene

ElfLad
2006-08-30, 12:41 PM
Fight Scene

Basically, you can use any characters and try to pose them so that they're in a fight. Multi-panels are accepted too. Points are awarded based on detail, how convincing it is, etc.

LoopyZebra
2006-08-30, 08:15 PM
Naruto. The manga not the character.

Catargories

Naruto Hero
OotS Hero dressed as Naruto hero
Naruto Villain
OotS Villain dressed as a Naruto Villain
Fight scene

Maybe a general Anime/Manga contest would cater to everyone's interests better?

B-Man
2006-08-30, 09:05 PM
i second that motion!! ((YAY for manga... not so much an anime fan...))

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-30, 11:26 PM
No, please, don't do this to me, I beg you... :o

Raistlin1040
2006-08-31, 12:02 AM
Sure. (to vorpal) MANGA HATER! >:(

ElfLad
2006-08-31, 12:23 AM
Manga/Anime just doesn't appeal to me so I'd probably sit that one out personally. And I really, really like the idea of doing an Action theme. That's something that would really stretch the avatarists beyond single person poses.

I remember suggesting an Album Cover category earlier, I'd like to bring that up again.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-31, 01:22 PM
Sure. (to vorpal) MANGA HATER! >:(
Oh, no, I don't hate it ;)

Kind of like I don't hate celery. I just avoid it at all costs and don't let it touch upon my senses

I'd like to see a contest based on D&D or Movie monsters.

AmberVael
2006-08-31, 01:24 PM
How about a Vorpal Tribble monster avatar contest? He has enough monster to pick from. :P

Dispozition
2006-08-31, 11:54 PM
Maybe we could do an emergency services one. Like Ambulance, fire brigade, police, lifguards. All those sort of things.

And I'd do a manga one too. I like manga!!

Bryn
2006-09-02, 09:20 AM
I second the GW/Warhammer (40k) motion!

Also, considering we have had a pirates one: ninjas! (Although I suppose you can only see so many guys in black suits and masks before it gets boring).

I wouldn't be entering an anime/manga one myself, I know too little about them. Might be interesting to watch though...

Daedrous Avari
2006-09-02, 06:16 PM
My dragon idea sort got done, but it's all monsters. Hopefully someone will do some dragons in the monsters IA!

CapnAlex
2006-09-03, 07:57 AM
I second the GW/Warhammer (40k) motion!

Also, considering we have had a pirates one: ninjas! (Although I suppose you can only see so many guys in black suits and masks before it gets boring).

I wouldn't be entering an anime/manga one myself, I know too little about them. Might be interesting to watch though...

Curse you! I was about the suggest that! In any case, I third that. Bring out my ancient vox-officer avatar!(s)

Roland St. Jude
2006-09-03, 11:25 AM
My dragon idea sort got done, but it's all monsters. Hopefully someone will do some dragons in the monsters IA!

Voila! (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1144359672 ;start=)

Bryn
2006-09-03, 01:20 PM
Here's a thought:

Monty Python. Inspired by the Black Knights I've seen... (And of course referenced in OOTS once)

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-14, 07:47 PM
I'd like to throw my weight behind either an anime/manga avatar, or a general console RPG one. Preference for the anime/manga.

TinSoldier
2006-09-14, 08:27 PM
Once again LiB you have such an incredible imagination for the prizes. There should be an Iron Avatarist just for all the prizes you made (were people could vote for the best ones!). ;D

That sounds like a great IA suggestion...

Take all of the previous trophy entries and open up for new ones and have a contest for best IA trophy. The meta-contest possibilities are mind boggling ::) !
So, an Iron Avatarist contest -- Iron Avatarist trophies!

LoopyZebra
2006-09-14, 09:49 PM
I'd still like to see a football one, or a general sports contest.

Oblivion
2006-09-15, 01:48 PM
So, an Iron Avatarist contest -- Iron Avatarist trophies!

Thanks for making the suggestion! :)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-15, 03:32 PM
I'd like to throw my weight behind either an anime/manga avatar, or a general console RPG one. Preference for the anime/manga.
http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/NotHappening.gif

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-15, 07:53 PM
http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/NotHappening.gif
See, I can't stand Homestarr Runner, but I'm not complaining about anyone suggesting that there be a contest on that.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-15, 10:35 PM
See, I can't stand Homestarr Runner, but I'm not complaining about anyone suggesting that there be a contest on that.
Oh, there've been several I've judged I didn't particularly care for, its just fun to poke you anime fans ;)

Dispozition
2006-09-16, 02:49 AM
But the anime one...I know exactly what I could do...Exactly...

And why not anime tribble? WHY!!!!!

TinSoldier
2006-09-16, 03:01 AM
But the anime one...I know exactly what I could do...Exactly...

And why not anime tribble? WHY!!!!!He is just saying that he doesn't prefer an anime contest because he doesn't like anime. I think he implied that he would vote on it whether the contest was run or not.

Like with me and the Final Fantasy thread, some of us aren't familiar with the sources. I know that while I like anime in general I'm still not very familiar with many of the movies or series.

So we have to rely on our artistic sense more than our familiarity with the source.s.

Yarram
2006-09-16, 08:14 AM
But remembering that you can't draw anime
OOTS style.

I think a "kittens puppies and ponies" comp would be pretty cool, as in we draw cute furry animals.

Lykan
2006-09-16, 12:34 PM
Here's a few of my ideas:

- Oriental Adventures
- Stuff from the Homebrew section
- Real World PCs [Not the TV show, like stuff you'd find in Age fo Empires]
- [Environment]
- [Mythology]
- Magic: the Gathering [Come on... YOu know you want to... ;)]

Dragon_Rider
2006-09-16, 01:18 PM
I second the Mythology suggestion by Lykan. *It would be cool to see people draw Greek, Roman, Norse, etc. Gods and legendary figures (like Hercules, Perseus, etc.)

My other suggestions:
-Lord of the Rings (This might not work too well, since there's no real way to make it specific to LotR, I mean give V a bow and call him Legolas I guess)
-TV shows (Like, I dunno, OOTS as Seinfeld would be pretty cool I think... Sabine/Haley would make a good Xena: Warrior Princess. *Stargate? *Firefly? The options are enless)

B-Man
2006-09-16, 01:31 PM
I still fully support an Anime/Manga IA. I would even make a few (hundred) entires. (I have the prefect one!)

Dragon_Rider
2006-09-16, 03:54 PM
The only issue I see with doing anime/manga is that its a style of art, and so is the stick-figure/avatar type art. *But, I guess it would be alright for those who are really familiar with the culture because they could recognize who is who. *As for us non-anime'ers it'll probably just look like a regular stick figure avatar.

Casualgamer
2006-09-16, 03:58 PM
Eh? The hairstyle would be distinctive enough.

Look at my avatar.

TinSoldier
2006-09-16, 04:45 PM
But remembering that you can't draw anime
OOTS style.

I think a "kittens puppies and ponies" comp would be pretty cool, as in we draw cute furry animals.Hmm. OotS furries....

:o

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-16, 06:05 PM
Hmm. OotS furries....
See Gorbash, there is something that makes me twitch far, far worse than anime.

*shudders for the rest of the evening*

Chris the Pontifex
2006-09-16, 06:09 PM
so have the pirates been suggested yet?
in view of talk like one day

Dragon_Rider
2006-09-16, 06:40 PM
Interesting idea... perhaps it might end up being a rather specific category since there are only so many pirates and OOTS characters we can dress up like pirates.

Bookman
2006-09-16, 07:13 PM
so have the pirates been suggested yet?
in view of talk like one day

There already was one :P

I remember seeing it.

Sorry :-/

but it'd be cool to do again! :D

But I can't draw......

Flabbicus
2006-09-16, 07:16 PM
How bout Ninjas!

Lykan
2006-09-16, 09:30 PM
How bout Ninjas!
That's why I suggested Oriental Adventures....

Daedrous Avari
2006-09-17, 04:54 PM
I like the Oriental Adventures one.

Or maybe Ice themed.

LoopyZebra
2006-09-17, 05:47 PM
Oriental Adventures sounds solid.

Beleriphon
2006-09-17, 07:27 PM
I still want a comic book character field. C'mon, comic book characters. Who doesn't want to see Belkar done up as Wolverine, or Haley as Wonder Woman? You might even be able to do a half decent Elan styled Green Lantern!

Flabbicus
2006-09-17, 08:15 PM
I still want a comic book character field. C'mon, comic book characters. Who doesn't want to see Belkar done up as Wolverine, or Haley as Wonder Woman? You might even be able to do a half decent Elan styled Green Lantern!

I think there was one already.

With Belkar as Wolverine.

LoopyZebra
2006-09-17, 08:16 PM

There was a Superheroes contest, and a stickified webcomics contest. I think that covers most comic books.

Daedrous Avari
2006-09-27, 07:04 PM
I'm up for Oriental Adventures and Frostburn.

Appolo
2006-09-27, 09:37 PM
for the pirate theme you could run it like a stormwrack theme...just a suggestion.

also, i like the track people are getting on with the iron avartarists being based on dnd supplement books, and would really like to see a libris mortis style contest.

Flabbicus
2006-09-27, 09:46 PM
for the pirate theme you could run it like a stormwrack theme...just a suggestion.

also, i like the track people are getting on with the iron avartarists being based on dnd supplement books, and would really like to see a libris mortis style contest.

They already did pirates.

Appolo
2006-09-27, 10:09 PM
for petes sake i know. i'm jus' saying. instead of a pirate theme.

Dragon_Rider
2006-09-27, 10:25 PM
My two "official" suggestions are:

-Mythological Avatars (Gods, heros, monster of legend)
-TV Show-based Avatars (Seinfeld, Xena, Firefly, Stargate, Farscape - endless opportunities)

TinSoldier
2006-09-27, 10:26 PM
My two "official" suggestions are:

-Mythological Avatars (Gods, heros, monster of legend)
-TV Show-based Avatars (Seinfeld, Xena, Firefly, Stargate, Farscape - endless opportunities)Ooh. Those are both great ideas!

Healos
2006-09-28, 10:46 AM
I like the Ideas a lot, especially the Mythological Avatars one

LostInBrittany
2006-09-28, 10:54 AM
How could I show that I love the idea of a Mythological contest ?

Ah, I know how...

http://www.lostinbrittany.org/images/oots/myth_centaur.gif

:)

Ego Slayer
2006-09-28, 11:59 AM
A Mythological theme would be very, very awesome..

Lykan
2006-09-28, 02:49 PM
Which mythology, though? I mean, it's a humongous topic if you group everything together...

Ego Slayer
2006-09-28, 02:56 PM
Eh, that's okay. We've got lots to choose from.

Or just pick three.. Greek, Egyptian and Norse.

LostInBrittany
2006-09-28, 03:23 PM
If we must choose only one, I vote for Greek Mythology

Ego Slayer
2006-09-28, 07:36 PM
Egyptian... It's just awesome.

ElfLad
2006-09-28, 08:01 PM
Greco-Roman.

Same as Greek, but Greco-Roman sounds funner.

Flabbicus
2006-09-28, 08:08 PM
Greco-Roman.

Same as Greek, but Greco-Roman sounds funner.

That sounds really really cool.

Although Mythology might cover that.

Bonus points to whoever draws Typhon getting buried under Mt. Etna.

Beleriphon
2006-09-30, 12:15 AM
I'm going to toss in for Mythology as well.

Rex Idiotarum
2006-09-30, 10:46 AM
To delve into the lesser now Greek hero Testicles would be fun.

I'd like to do mythology.

InaVegt
2006-09-30, 12:23 PM
'nother vote for mythology

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-01, 10:29 AM
*Puts cross next to 'Mythology'*

Roland St. Jude
2006-10-02, 11:55 AM

Ta-daa! (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=arts;action=display;num=1159741155)

(Your suggestions are being listened to, so keep them coming!)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-02, 11:16 PM
Ta-daa! (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=arts;action=display;num=1159741155)
*bows and then attempts seppuku with his own fangs*

Roland St. Jude
2006-10-03, 01:08 AM
*bows and then attempts seppuku with his own fangs*

Hahaha! Reminds me of the time I was playtesting one of the early GateWar iterations and it was possible for a creature with a bite attack to fumble and bite off its own head.

Seriously, hang in there. It'll be okay!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-03, 09:19 AM
Hahaha! Reminds me of the time I was playtesting one of the early GateWar iterations and it was possible for a creature with a bite attack to fumble and bite off its own head.
*blinks*

Thats... impressive.

Seriously, hang in there. It'll be okay!
Meh, really, seppuku is only a fancy way of saying you're a cry baby and a sore loser. So I guess I'll live another day.

Next contest could be 'Trick or Treat' based as it'll end on halloween night if I'm not mistaken.

hyikim
2006-10-03, 03:50 PM
do an iron Artist and see who can make the best halloween costume!

Beleriphon
2006-10-07, 07:59 AM
Saturday Morning Cartoons

You know He-Man, GI Joe and the like.

Casualgamer
2006-10-07, 11:17 AM
Mecha. We need to push avataring skills to the extreme, and mecha are the way to do it.

Y'know, like Gundam, Mechwarrior, Supreme Commander, Full Metal Panic...

ElfLad
2006-10-07, 11:36 AM
Mecha. We need to push avataring skills to the extreme, and mecha are the way to do it.

Y'know, like Gundam, Mechwarrior, Supreme Commander, Full Metal Panic...

I dunno, I'd suggest something like backgrounds, action scenes, etc. But then I might haqve an unfair advantage...

Casualgamer
2006-10-07, 05:30 PM
Eh? Why?

ElfLad
2006-10-07, 09:24 PM
I have a comic, so I'm one of maybe four or so avatarists who have done backgrounds and do backgrounds regularly.

Casualgamer
2006-10-07, 09:54 PM

I really don't see how that gives you that much of an advantage. It's a bit of an assumption to assume just because other people didn't rent servers and start webcomics that they can't draw backgrounds.

Also, it's a boring Iron Avatarist contest. Backgrounds?

For action scenes, I'm sure that somehow us non-webcomickers will somehow deal with your godly powers as a webcomicker and put up a fight, so I guess I'm with you on that.

I'll take you down. :)

ElfLad
2006-10-07, 10:14 PM

I really don't see how that gives you that much of an advantage. It's a bit of an assumption to assume just because other people didn't rent servers and start webcomics that they can't draw backgrounds.

Also, it's a boring Iron Avatarist contest. Backgrounds?

For action scenes, I'm sure that somehow us non-webcomickers will somehow deal with your godly powers as a webcomicker and put up a fight, so I guess I'm with you on that.

I'll take you down. :)

Wow, way to misinterpret what I said. I'm not saying that drawing a webcomic makes me any better, I'm saying that it gives me more experience. People with experience tend to be better than people who are doing things for the first time. For instance, look at the Giant's big panoramas of Cliffport. Most people here can't do that type of stuff. Since I draw three webcomics a week, I draw backgrounds three times a week or more, as contrasted to the avatarist who draws in a background maybe once every fifteen avatars. This gives me a bit more experience.

And scenery doesn't have to be boring.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/AngryBalrog/tree.gif

As for fight scenes, most avatarists draw single characters in a static pose. As a guy who draws a webcomic, I move characters around and am getting used to the pacing and spacing of panels, and have a collection of action poses.

I'm not saying I'm automatically better than any of you because I draw a webcomic, or that I could beat all of you, I'm just saying that I have a small advantage.

And to tell the truth, I suggested those categories because they're both categories that I'm trying to improve in. So stop reading arrogance into my posts, because it's simple common sense that experience gives a small advantage over lack of experience.

Casualgamer
2006-10-07, 10:22 PM
Mmmm... yeah....

That's a pretty picture. Pity that there's no way it could be an avatar. As in, the "avatar" in "Iron Avatarist".

Drawing multiple characters is as simple as drawing two or mor characters in a combative post then putting them near each other. Being a webcomic artist has nothing to do with that. At all.

If you WANT to talk about what being a webcomic artist has taught you, perhaps the literary aspect might be better. I remain unconvinced of your inherent advantage.

Ink
2006-10-07, 11:30 PM
How about characters from famous books? Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc.

ElfLad
2006-10-07, 11:37 PM
Animals, maybe?

Dispozition
2006-10-07, 11:42 PM
Famous book characters might be fun, yeah.

We could also do T.V. series, mainly because I want to put in all my Firefly stuff. But it would still be good.

Daedrous Avari
2006-10-13, 09:28 PM
Harry Potter and LOTR contest sounds good, Ink.

TinSoldier
2006-10-13, 09:32 PM
Harry Potter and LotR sound cool, but I think those two categories are too limited. Not enough characters to do.

Fantasy literature would be good, and would encompass those two categories together.

danielf
2006-12-15, 02:31 PM
I suggest to start having an Erfworld categorie in the contests.

Roland St. Jude
2006-12-15, 03:31 PM
I suggest to start having an Erfworld categorie in the contests.

One step ahead of you on this one! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29713) :smallbiggrin: . I mean, excellent suggestion, keep 'em coming!

danielf
2006-12-15, 04:24 PM
One step ahead of you on this one! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29713) :smallbiggrin: . I mean, excellent suggestion, keep 'em coming!

This contest is awesome. I have a lot of ideas and i'm sure i will get time to do them all, i'm just thinking if there is a limit in the number of entries anyone can make? Like 3 entries in each category or something like that?

Roland St. Jude
2006-12-16, 10:14 AM
This contest is awesome. I have a lot of ideas and i'm sure i will get time to do them all, i'm just thinking if there is a limit in the number of entries anyone can make? Like 3 entries in each category or something like that?

No. Feel free to go crazy on it if undead are your thing! :smallsmile:

DarkLightDragon
2006-12-16, 10:30 AM
Haven't looked at the other pages or most IA, but here's some ideas:

Elemental
Outer space (probably been done but meh)
Times of day
8-bit theatre (maybe)
GitP members

zegma
2006-12-16, 09:04 PM
in celebration of the new eragon movie coeming out,( note i am dissapointed with the moive, but just looking at the curmercails i can see flaws, but i love the books.) we sould do a eragon based contest. a lot of ppl have read it so i dont see it being a probalm.

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-12-17, 09:33 PM
How about non-humanoids?

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-17, 09:55 PM
The idea for an Eragon contest is just like the LotR and Harry Potter ideas, its just too limited. But I do like the idea of Fantasy Literature.

Hmmmm, my suggestions would be............ maybe just any type of monster? Like dragons or constructs or something?

Dispozition
2006-12-17, 10:14 PM
GitP members

Sounds like a good idea, but how do you plan on doing it? I have an idea in mind, but I can't be sure if it will work.

Wayril
2006-12-17, 10:34 PM
How about non-humanoids?

Not a bad thought. Everyone knows, when the D&D guys can't think of stuff to do they add abberations(sp?) or we could go with the slightly more generic animal hybrids.

Mr_Saturn
2006-12-17, 10:55 PM
Hmmmm, my suggestions would be............ maybe just any type of monster? Like dragons or constructs or something?

I believe dragons was done before.

How about plants? Live ones of course. xD

Flabbicus
2006-12-17, 11:12 PM
Comic Book Characters would be a great subject for the next Iron Avatarist Contest.

With subsections for Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, etc.

Mr_Saturn
2006-12-17, 11:27 PM
animated in-animate objects.

Kind of how the giant makes the popcorn and soda drink alive in strip #301

This could be more specific if needed.

Oblivion
2006-12-18, 09:55 AM
Hey! Here is an idea I got the other day: a "world cultures" IA. You know... drawing avatars and the OoTS in traditional costumes of some cultures and countries. Could be fun!

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-18, 03:00 PM

I second that. Its very spread out, there are so many possiblities....

ElfLad
2006-12-18, 03:43 PM
Outer Space!

zegma
2006-12-18, 10:02 PM
Has there been a comic based iron avatarist? That would be fun. Also we should do a....... um.... lemme think. I know we shuold give superheros ( sipder man, superman, etc) in a christmas suit, buts thats kinda limted. We sould do a family sense.( sorry dont know how to spell it.) like a family sitting down and watching tv. Any thoughts?

Lykan
2006-12-19, 12:45 PM
Hey! Here is an idea I got the other day: a "world cultures" IA. You know... drawing avatars and the OoTS in traditional costumes of some cultures and countries. Could be fun!

Booyah! Hussar time!

Roland St. Jude
2006-12-19, 09:51 PM
Comic Book Characters would be a great subject for the next Iron Avatarist Contest.
With subsections for Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, etc.

Has there been a comic based iron avatarist? That would be fun. Also we should do a....... um.... lemme think. I know we shuold give superheros ( sipder man, superman, etc) in a christmas suit, buts thats kinda limted. We sould do a family sense.( sorry dont know how to spell it.) like a family sitting down and watching tv. Any thoughts?

Comics/Superheroes was done not too long ago, so if we do it, it'll be a while.

This could be more specific if needed.

Interesting... :smallamused:

Outer Space!

That's actually bit broad, but it definitely has potential...:smallsmile:

zegma
2006-12-19, 11:11 PM
Comics/Superheroes was done not too long ago, so if we do it, it'll be a while.

Interesting... :smallamused:

That's actually bit broad, but it definitely has potential...:smallsmile:

i ment makeing a comic. has that been done before?

Mr_Saturn
2006-12-19, 11:15 PM
i meant making a comic. has that been done before?

then it should be called "Iron Cartoonist" not "Iron Avatarist"

Tomb_Raven
2006-12-20, 09:56 AM
what about erfworld oots crossover... hows that for an IA contest

Raven

zegma
2006-12-20, 04:33 PM
what about erfworld oots crossover... hows that for an IA contest

Raven

Thats a good idea. Make erfworld ppl in oots style and oots ppl in erfworld style. That would be fun, but there isnt many erfworld avatarist out right now. Or are there a lot im jsut not seeing them.

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-12-25, 12:45 AM
Thats a good idea. Make erfworld ppl in oots style and oots ppl in erfworld style. That would be fun, but there isnt many erfworld avatarist out right now. Or are there a lot im jsut not seeing them.
I'm sorry, but your grasp on English syntax/spelling is painful.

It should be:
That's a good idea. We could make Erfworld people in OotS style and OotS people in Erfworld style. That would be fun, but there aren't many Erfworld avatarists out right now. Or are there a lot, and I'm just not seeing them?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/DarkFox1113/quotyman.gif

Nightclaws
2006-12-29, 04:33 PM
I say a lyncanthrope style contest :P

tape_measure
2006-12-29, 04:46 PM
how about 70's TV show theme. That's pretty broad, but still funny: Roy dressed as the Fonz, Haley as Jeanie, Belkar as Hunter, Durkon as Mork from Ork, etc.

Or maybe just a decade theme in general could be fun. Haley with a pink mohawk and a studded leather jacket for the 80's, Roy with flannel and jeans with too many holes for the 90's (grunge), Belkar in a poodle skirt....all funny things to see.

Tiako
2007-01-07, 01:58 PM
Has there been a simple "Movies" contest? That seems like a fairly obvious one.

Ego Slayer
2007-01-07, 04:49 PM
I don't think we've had one for movies yet. I didn't participate in IA for while so I don't quite remember older contests. Sounds like a good idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/DarkFox1113/quotyman.gif
WOW. That is awesome!:smallbiggrin:

danielf
2007-01-07, 04:57 PM
i think there is never a movie IA, they want to do a Wizard of Oz IA one time, but they never did it...

Wayril
2007-01-07, 06:15 PM
Have we had a superhero one yet. Something tells me we have, but if we haven't we should have one.

Or maybe Mortal combat/tekken/StreetFighter/other arcade style fighter games. I don't know what that's called but that'd be cool.

danielf
2007-01-07, 06:31 PM
there is a superhero IA http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5686&highlight=Avatarists

i think Mortal kombat tekken SF would be a cool contest.

danielf
2007-01-13, 06:54 AM
i think a nice one:

IA - Unusual Situations

that sounds cool :)

Simius
2007-01-13, 02:30 PM
How about an incentive (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/Incentives.html) contest?
We'll be drawing Magic Items you don't want, funny misspellings and weird (non-DnD) monsters.

DarkLightDragon
2007-01-21, 11:27 PM
Inspired by a certain thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32401), I would like to suggest crossdressing characters (from books/games/whatever).

Roland St. Jude
2007-04-02, 01:46 PM
I did this Draw Roland Contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2308822#post2308822) as an April Fools joke, but the entries were really good! Is there any interest in reopening this as a full contest? Or maybe a draw the mods contest? Lemme know here!

Plus, any new ideas are always appreciated!

Goblin Music
2007-04-02, 01:49 PM
Yes a Roland contest!
<_<
>_>
<_<
and a Pirate contest as well

Castaras
2007-04-02, 01:50 PM
I did this Draw Roland Contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2308822#post2308822) as an April Fools joke, but the entries were really good! Is there any interest in reopening this as a full contest? Or maybe a draw the mods contest? Lemme know here!

Plus, any new ideas are always appreciated!

Reopen it! Reopen it! Hopefully by the time it reopens I'll be better at making avatars and might enter one! :smallbiggrin:

Goblin Music
2007-04-02, 01:58 PM
an Iron Avatarist Mod Madness thread would be so cool!

Ava
2007-04-02, 01:59 PM
Unfortunately I am not all that inspired to draw versions of moderators... lol.

Perhaps a Spring Fling contest for the season? Flowers, romance, butterflies, picnics, scenes from The Importance of Being Earnest, and so forth. :)

Woot Spitum
2007-04-03, 03:08 PM
I'm surprised no one has thought of this, especially with the military dress competition going on, but what about Elan versus Nale while both are dressed in opposing Civil War uniforms? I figured the whole brother against brother thing would be fairly obvious. (Yes, Gettysburg is one of my favorite movies).

Chris the Pontifex
2007-04-04, 12:21 PM
I vote for the Mod contest!

Ava
2007-04-06, 05:01 PM
I'd like to see a contest featuring weapons...

Sampi
2007-04-06, 05:42 PM
I think that weapon idea is intriguing. Though right after the animate inanimate objects, maybe not yet. I could go for the mod contest!

Sampi
2007-04-07, 04:51 PM
New IA idea: Organized crime

Belkar with tommyguns! Xykon as the Godfather! Haley smuggling liquor! We need this!

Roland St. Jude
2007-04-07, 10:36 PM
Interesting...keep those ideas coming...<rubs hands together evilly>

Alarra
2007-04-07, 11:01 PM
Ooh, if there's a mod contest are the mods going to be the judges again?

heh....that'd be fun.

Goblin Music
2007-04-25, 04:57 PM
runs i with a flag that says

Discworld
lets do a Discworld IA contest
Discworld

Quincunx
2007-04-26, 12:49 PM
Movies are a spectacular idea, but the category is too broad. Western Mythology suffered with far more excellent avatars than prizes to be won. That was more than a healthy amount of competition. Narrow "movies":

Movies: The Silver Screen
Horror Movies
Movies: The Best of the B-List
'80s Movies

etc. etc.

Ava
2007-04-26, 05:39 PM
Forgive me if any of these have already been done or have already been suggested because I'm not cross-referencing...

Fun in the Sun (Summer theme)
Safari
Nursery (Baby theme!)
Safety Tips
Theatre Arts

Mr_Saturn
2007-04-26, 06:05 PM
Futuristic
Aquatic
Animals
Creatures/Things/Objects of the Air
Robots/Machines
Fairy Tales

Ava
2007-04-26, 06:11 PM
Ooo robots!!!

Goblin Music
2007-04-26, 06:34 PM
SpiderMan avies LFB the Green Goblin and me the Green Goblin's son

Late Shift
2007-04-26, 10:33 PM
runs i with a flag that says

While I know nothing about Discworld I would love a 'fantasy book' inspired IA. Ahem... it has nothing to do with the Jaime Lannister avatar I am already working on either :smalltongue: .

Dr. Bath
2007-04-27, 03:05 PM
A literature based Iron Avatar might be good, although it is a bit wide. You could always narrow it down but this way it would be good even for those who dislike fantasy novels.

I think a television IA would be good too.

Or Post-Apocaliptic IA, I would do that.

Rob Knotts
2007-04-27, 03:25 PM
Hiro Protagonist? And YT?

Or maybe Aziraphle and Crowley?

GolemsVoice
2007-04-28, 08:49 AM
Puh, didn't know if this has been suggested before, but what about an video-game contest?

Oblivion
2007-04-30, 11:27 AM
If I can repost one of my previous suggestions, what about a "world culture" kind of contest? Like traditional dresses, dances, and things like that ("cliched things" about a country or culture - like the mounted police in Canada).

If you want to narrow it down or add a bit of challenge, everyone would have to picture their own country's culture.

Ava
2007-04-30, 03:56 PM
Puh, didn't know if this has been suggested before, but what about an video-game contest?

Oh dear... considering that about 90% of all the avatar's I've made are based off of video game characters I think I would have a hard time choosing what to enter for that theme. >_<

Goff
2007-05-03, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure if it's been suggested, but being a DnD webcomic's board, I've been surprised not to see a Dragon-themed IA... Not that I'm really the type to enter, but I reckon that'd have some pretty rockin' entries.

Serpentine
2007-05-03, 10:35 AM
There's already been one m'dear. Admittedly, it was back in the good ol' days of the tyrannical beneficient reign of Her Royal Wukeiness. Dr Bath made up some trophies for the Hall of Fame but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
For the record, I'd LOVE to see a new dragon IA.

Jibar
2007-05-22, 12:42 PM
This one will seem a little selfish of me, but I love having lots of Cat-Muffins around, so how about a Cat-Muffin contest?
Yeah, I know. I'd like to see it though.

Castaras
2007-05-22, 12:45 PM
This one will seem a little selfish of me, but I love having lots of Cat-Muffins around, so how about a Cat-Muffin contest?
Yeah, I know. I'd like to see it though.

Maybe a Food contest?

*Rubs hands together, greedy look in eyes*

Ego Slayer
2007-05-22, 12:55 PM
Ego pokes curiously at Jibar's ego.
Nobdy wnts 2 draw cat mufins lol noob go awy no1 liks u
:smallwink: :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Jibar
2007-05-22, 12:59 PM
Ego pokes curiously at Jibar's ego.
Nobdy wnts 2 draw cat mufins lol noob go awy no1 liks u
:smallwink: :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Awww, come on. I want some more avatars. :biggrin:

ufo
2007-05-22, 01:32 PM
I have no idea whether it has been suggested, or there has already been this theme, but Aliens would make a grand theme :smallbiggrin:

Quincunx
2007-06-08, 07:22 AM
The Fine Art IA Contest.

Paintings:
The Stickscream.
Team Evil in the style of Guernica.

Sculpture:
Laocoon and the serpents.
Michelangelo's Elan. (That joke will never die!)

Ava
2007-06-08, 11:41 AM
How about a High School Yearbook theme?

Ichneumon
2007-07-27, 12:37 AM
What about a plant theme?

Nathan
2007-07-27, 12:45 AM
Georgian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1750-1795_in_fashion) fashion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1700-1750_in_fashion) would be neat.

kpenguin
2007-07-27, 02:00 AM
Prehistoric theme? Oots-style cavemen, dinos, and mammoths?

banjo1985
2007-07-27, 03:03 AM
Prehistoric theme? Oots-style cavemen, dinos, and mammoths?

Now that is a good shout, I'd love for this to come up at some point!

Yeril
2007-07-27, 09:08 AM
Animal theme?

Castaras
2007-07-27, 10:24 AM
Music? I know we've had a "OotS music dressup" contest thing, but maybe a whole contest for any random rockers, or punk musicians, or classical pianists...

kpenguin
2007-08-02, 06:27 AM
Alright, it's 4 in the morning where I am, so this might sound a little crazy to people who are more awake.

I propose, as a theme.... POSTCARDS!

No, seriously, postcards. After a long day of adventuring, crafting sinister plots, smiting evil, or just dabbling in wanton destruction, the cast of OotS need a vacation.

The entries of this contest would be postcards from the OotS and co. Where they are at should be clearly labeled and be of decent size to be a credible postcard. While these wouldn't make good avatars, they could make signatars.

Instead of the usual categories, I also propose three distinct category based on location:

Real-world: The normal vacation spots with the OotS. Haley and Elan having a romantic dinner in Paris or Miko smiting some evil in Las Vegas.
Historical: Why not take the time machine and hang out in the past. Belkar participating in gladiatorial combat or V getting lost in the library of Alexandria.
Fantastic: Fictional places that might be interesting to vacation in. Durkon having a nice drink in Valhalla or Xykon swapping tales with Sauron.

This would be way cool. At least my sleep-deprived mind thinks so.

Oh yeah, Erfatars would be awesome as well. Parson watching famous battles... with popcorn!

banjo1985
2007-08-02, 07:31 AM
I haven't been on this forum for too many month, so I'm not sure whether this has already been done....

A horror theme?

Malfunctioned
2007-08-02, 08:19 AM
Films? As in characters and scenes from films.

Nathan
2007-08-03, 01:35 AM
The Fine Art IA Contest.
Yes! I second this with all the emphasis available to me.

In addition: a historical theme. As in OotS drawn in real world history scenes.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-08-03, 01:51 AM
I know we just had the Cyberpunk, but I've always loved Steampunk, and so I just have to suggest a Steampunk theme.

Yeril
2007-08-03, 02:17 AM
Im not sure what steampunk is.. but if its Victorian dwarves withs guns then Im sold!

Since we have had a desert theme, how about a frozen wasteland theme (although I think we have already had one...)

or a Jungle Theme!

kpenguin
2007-08-03, 02:43 AM
Technically, a frozen wasteland is a desert, since it ususally has a low amount of precipitation. Antartica is a good example of a cold desert. mmmm... Antartica... PENGUINS!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-08-03, 02:47 AM
Im not sure what steampunk is.. but if its Victorian dwarves withs guns then Im sold!

Well, guess what? :smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
2007-08-12, 12:16 PM
Hey, how about a contest devoted entirely to puns? Think about how "punderful" that could be.

Were-Sandwich
2007-08-12, 01:46 PM
Maybe a contest where entries could be on any subject matter, but must be in the form of a short comic. So composition and other such directory things become important.

Nathan
2007-08-15, 02:06 AM
Cards. As in playing cards. Or just board games in general.

(I'm still voting for the Fine Art FTW.)

Were-Sandwich
2007-08-16, 02:39 PM
Maybe a Magic: THe gathering themed contest? The cos-play category could be fun.

Mr_Saturn
2007-08-16, 05:47 PM
Monsters have been done, what about animals? :smallbiggrin:

Best Mammal

Best Reptile

Best Bird

Best Invertabrate

Yeril
2007-08-16, 07:16 PM
How about..

EVIL!!

Best avatar of a Blackguard sword guy

Best group of a Blackguard sword guy next to a Necromancer dude

Best Oots as V as necromancer? Elan as Dirgesinger? Hayley as Assasin?

Best Oots Group, All of the above.

Best Erf? um... evil dwagon?

Castaras
2007-08-17, 04:16 AM
How about..

EVIL!!

Best avatar of a Blackguard sword guy

Best group of a Blackguard sword guy next to a Necromancer dude

Best Oots as V as necromancer? Elan as Dirgesinger? Hayley as Assasin?

Best Oots Group, All of the above.

Best Erf? um... evil dwagon?

This would call for loads of AMENite entries....:smallamused:

Dawn
2007-08-22, 10:27 AM
I love the idea of animals or food. I suck at drawing faces.

Yeril
2007-10-19, 05:17 PM
MONTY PYTHON!

No one expects the Azurian inquisition! *cue Hinjo, Lien and O-chul*

Blackguard Miko: 'Tis but a scratch.
King roy: Your arms off!
Blackguard Miko: No it isnt!
King roy: Well whats that then?
Blackguard Miko: Ive had worse.
King roy: Oh you Lier!
Blackguard Miko: Bring it on you pansy!

Elanicalicalicus as the Prime Minister of Silly Walks :smallbiggrin:

Bluelantern
2007-10-19, 07:04 PM
Themes

Babies! :smallbiggrin:
Teenagers! :smallfurious:
Elderly! :smallfrown:

"Bizarro" avatars (essencially the linear guild over and over again)

First Level, how everything started =D

Mythological Gods: Can be done as general or use diferent patheons, include turn OOTS in god-like version.

Heroes \o/

Buffy&Angel \o/

Pokemon :smallfurious:

4th edition?

Templated Avatar \o/ a entire OOTS of half-dragons!

Neftren
2007-10-19, 07:15 PM
Themes

Babies! :smallbiggrin:

Already is a Baby Contest going on, although it isn't an official contest. I happen to be running it, and I'm working on the trophies as we speak.

Dr. Bath
2007-10-23, 09:30 AM
Action Films
Literature
Space travel

uh...........some other things?

Oooh, T.V shows or cartoons.

Dallas-Dakota
2007-10-23, 12:44 PM
Ahem *clears voice*

Iīd like to do a suggestion for the next Iron Contest theme.
Itīd be OOTS and celebrities.
Itīd be any member of the oots comic interacting with famous persons.
Or a single person about somebody/his/her/its possesions.
Example :
Haley : Bill gates gold, all mine, all mine, my precious...:smalltongue:

Or OOTS figures as teenagers(remember the haley teenager!)

Lissou
2008-07-24, 02:17 PM
I have an idea for a suggestion... It's very different from the usual Iron Avatarist stuff, but maybe we'll get to see new artists that way?

I was thinking of making avatars of the characters from the order of the stick as non-stick figures, rather than making stick figures out of other things, for once.

There could be a category for the oots "in the style of", that would copy another cartoonist's style, for instance, and there would just be the normal one that you draw the way you picture them.

It would be pretty different from the usual, and people who can't use the line program thingies might be able give it a try for once ^^.

Also, I'm very curious.

(But let's make sure people don't forget they're avatars, so not huge fanart images. There should probably be a size limit for this one.

Palin11
2008-07-25, 09:49 PM
I was thinking of making avatars of the characters from the order of the stick as non-stick figures, rather than making stick figures out of other things, for once.

I second that one, sounds like fun.

Other ideas:

Trading card or Board games, like Elan in Candyland or V in M:tg

TV series, for example Belkar as Hawkeye from MASH or as Bart Simpson.

Oots and their perfect pet, Belkar with Hamstard or Haley with a Persian cat.

Serpentine
2008-07-27, 09:30 AM
Palin made me think of one: Games in general. You'd have a whoooole lotta videogame references, but then some clever clever people (not me, of course <.< >.>) chime in with decks of cards or chess pieces :smallamused:

Wreckingrocc
2008-07-27, 11:09 AM
I know I screwed up the outline for the drow, but does anyone else have any other suggestions for my avatar to improve it?

Sneak
2008-07-27, 11:15 AM
I'm fairly certain that video games and TV series have already been done.

TnD, this isn't really the right thread for that. Go to the regular OOTS style art thread. This is the Iron Avatarist Suggestion thread, not an Avatar Suggestion thread.

Lissou, that does seem like fun. I'm not sure IA is the right outlet for this sort of thing, though, because IA already kind of has its own thing goin'. Maybe a separate one-time contest for that would work?

As an aside...I'm not sure anyone really checks this thread anymore. It was just a bit of thread necromancy when Lissou posted here.