PDA

View Full Version : Monster with the Highest Int?

Roythebattousai
2008-08-13, 12:06 AM
Preferably a monster that could be a PC.

Arbitrarity
2008-08-13, 12:45 AM
Black Ethergaunt? 17 HD, +4 LA, casts as wizard 17, and has 36ish INT. Fiend Folio, IIRC.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-13, 12:58 AM
What HD/LA?

Arbitrarity
2008-08-13, 01:04 AM
Yeah, as black ethergaunts aren't normally viable PC's.

Ah, here we go. 16 HD, +4 LA, 15 natural armor, +2 str, +8 dex, +4 con, +10 int (not as high as I thought :/) +4 wis, +4 cha, CR 17, dwells on the ethereal plane, Immune to all arcane spells of 6'th level and below.

Pandaren
2008-08-13, 01:05 AM
Mindflayers? They're humanoid.

Mastikator
2008-08-13, 01:37 AM
Mindflayers are aberrations. LA 7, 8HD, +8 Int

It can be a PC though.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-13, 07:44 AM
Any monster that drank The Great Elixir from FRCS Shining South 5% (+2D4 to Int or Char with Permanent Greater Spell Immunity to one school of spells) perhaps with a Headband of Intellect (+2, +4 or +6 depending on the level of the party).

Could be interesting with a lowly "Blue" Psion mastermind or that unusual Half Orc Beguiler or Wizard L6+ with the Leadership feat.

Really cool with an Unbodied who gets a +4 to Intelligence and can Assume Likeness.

Edit: Almost forgot the Paragon template from ELH grants that +15 to ability scores.

Duke of URL
2008-08-13, 09:58 AM
Pixies get +6 INT for LA +4 and no racial HD.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-13, 01:10 PM
Pixies get +6 INT for LA +4 and no racial HD.

So a ELH "Paragon" Pixie who drank The Great Elixir with a Headband of Intellect for an unusual Mastermind.

Chronos
2008-08-13, 07:41 PM
Mindflayers are aberrations. LA 7, 8HD, +8 Int

It can be a PC though.That also leaves you a few levels to squeeze in a template or two, such as Half-Fiend, to pass up the Ethergaunt. And a half-fiend mindflayer also has the advantage of looking like Cthulhu.

Stycotl
2008-08-13, 08:04 PM
That also leaves you a few levels to squeeze in a template or two, such as Half-Fiend, to pass up the Ethergaunt. And a half-fiend mindflayer also has the advantage of looking like Cthulhu.

that's awesome; had never considered that. kudos.

Arbitrarity
2008-08-13, 10:47 PM
Darnit, I messed up again. Ethergaunt is +20 intelligence. It's too high LA though, so let's start adding templates instead.

Pixie (+4 LA):
+6.
Kaorti:2 HD, +2 LA,
but is effectively a template. +4.
Needs 6 to catch up, but is ECL 8. So 12 LA to burn here...

Half Fiend, int +4, LA +4.
Half dragon, Int +2, LA +3.
Voidmind, LA +3, Int +2.

There, at ECL 18, with 2 RHD, you have 32 Int. Wohoo. No casting, or anything, but 32 Int, before items, etc. I'd rather play the ethergaunt, still. The 17'th level wizard casting is a better deal.

So, that's... a voidmind (third template), half-dragon (first template), half-fiend (second template) pixie, who is transformed into a kaorti (Last template).

You're enslaves by kaorti racial ethos, and by mindflayers. BAD DEAL.

Also, you have roughly 15 hp. One feat, not counting a bunch of mediocre bonus feats.

Vexxation
2008-08-13, 10:51 PM
That also leaves you a few levels to squeeze in a template or two, such as Half-Fiend, to pass up the Ethergaunt. And a half-fiend mindflayer also has the advantage of looking like Cthulhu.

Throw on Half-dragon too.

Needs the dragon-y wings, y'know.

monty
2008-08-13, 10:54 PM

That would be really interesting to play, especially in gestalt (so you could actually have some class levels in there). Maybe I'll try to talk my DM into a high-level gestalt game just to try that out.

Arbitrarity
2008-08-13, 10:54 PM
I still think the 15 HP and lack of ANY casting at all, at ECL 18, kinda means you DIE. You got nothing at that level, except wealth, as a PC. Also, you might have 50 INT. Wohoo.

Mewtarthio
2008-08-13, 10:57 PM
I still think the 15 HP and lack of ANY casting at all, at ECL 18, kinda means you DIE. You got nothing at that level, except wealth, as a PC. Also, you might have 50 INT. Wohoo.

Sure, but once you take that Wizard level, nobody will be saving against your flare.

Collin152
2008-08-13, 10:59 PM

Think of the skills!

I'd rather have Rogue levels for that, though.

monty
2008-08-13, 10:59 PM

But you're a fiendish squid-dragon! How will everyone not cower in your awesomeness?

Arbitrarity
2008-08-13, 11:02 PM
Think of the skills!

I'd rather have Rogue levels for that, though.

No. At maximum, 115 skill points, with a maximum of 5 ranks in any skills. A BARD with Knack would do better at everything.

Also, a fiendish dragon fairy with holes drilled into your head, your brain replaced by psychic goo, then corrupted by forces from the Far Realm.

Vexxation
2008-08-13, 11:03 PM
Also, a fiendish dragon fairy with holes drilled into your head, your brain replaced by psychic goo, then corrupted by forces from the Far Realm.

And there's nothing wrong with that.
You are who you are, and we won't judge you.

tyckspoon
2008-08-13, 11:04 PM
No. At maximum, 115 skill points, with a maximum of 5 ranks in any skills. A BARD with Knack would do better at everything.

What, wait, Rogue? Factotum, yo. You're gonna have enough skill points to be trained in every skill ever written; you may as well actually have them all as class skills.

Arbitrarity
2008-08-13, 11:10 PM
Oh, also:

Material Vulnerability(Ex): The Material Plane is painful to an unprotected kaorti. And unprotected kaorti must make a fortitude save every hour (DC 15 +1 per previous check) or take 1d6 points of subdual damage and become fatigued. The fatigued condition persists until the kaorti recovers all the subdual damage it took from its exposure to the material plane. If a kaorti is rendered unconscious through the accumulation of subdual damage (from this ability or any other source), the Material Plane environs begin to deal normal damage at the same rate (Fort save negates; save DC contiues to increase per check as stated above). A kaorti wearing a resin suit, or a kaorti inside a cyst, is protected from the effects of the Material Plane.

Resin Suit: +4 Armor, +3 maximum Dex, -4 ACP. 25% ASF. 250 gp, weighs 20 lb. Your carry capacity is 105 lb heavy load.

No, I'm not talking rogue or factotum there. Those are RHD skill points, of which you have 2 outsider.