PDA

View Full Version : The Metal Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

zeratul
2008-08-18, 04:48 PM
Song To Usher In The New Thread (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aC6CPwu0I44&feature=related)

Okay so there have been some recommendations that instead of letting a thread pop up for every single metal genre that we reincarnate the old "Metal Thread" for all genres. Weather you want to talk about Black metal, Folk metal, Power metal, Symphonic metal, Death metal, (etc.) or any other styles of metal you can talk about it here. Favorite bands, concerts you've been to genre debates, band critiques, and I'm expecting large debates about the new metallica album :smalltongue:.

So to start off, anyone here listened to Cyanide yet? It sounds pretty cool, sort of like the heavier black album stuff.

DraPrime
2008-08-18, 05:02 PM
The metal thread is back! Wooohoooo!

Anyway, I have heard Cyanide. It sounds quite good. From what I've heard it's supposedly the worst song on Death Magnetic, which is actually making me really excited about the new album.

And while we're on Metallica, is there anyone here besides me who thinks that Load and Reload were in fact fantastic albums?

zeratul
2008-08-18, 05:06 PM
And while we're on Metallica, is there anyone here besides me who thinks that Load and Reload were in fact fantastic albums?

It takes a minute to adjust to them but now I like the stuff on them. There was a while were I really really disliked the Unforgiven II in particular, but now I really like it. I've always loved the song fuel though.

Dragor
2008-08-18, 05:06 PM
Song To Usher In The New Thread (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aC6CPwu0I44&feature=related)

Great song to pick Zeratul. :smalltongue:

Who here listens to Arch Enemy, the all singing, all shredding melodic death metal group? I'm still not sure whether Rise of the Tyrant was a good or sub-par album. Some tracks really stand out, but the others just feel like filler. Also the quality was a bit.... messed. I'm not sure. Felt too muddy, not clear enough.

@^ I'm ashamed, but I'm not actually into Metallica that much >__< string me up now.

DraPrime
2008-08-18, 05:08 PM
It takes a minute to adjust to them but now I like the stuff on them. There was a while were I really really disliked the Unforgiven II in particular, but now I really like it. I've always loved the song fuel though.

Indeed, Fuel is awesome. Since you mentioned, Unforgiven II, is anyone else here really eager to hear Unforgiven III?

Spiryt
2008-08-18, 05:13 PM
I don't have such strong opinion as many people. I don't think that leaving thrash is somehow bad thing, but thrash suited them better.
Generally those are average albums, listenable if you're in mood.

Songs like Wasting my hate, are bad, to put it simply.

While Devils Dance, Until it sleeps or Unforgiven II are definetly good.

Especially Devils Dance.

DraPrime
2008-08-18, 05:51 PM
The change from thrash did result in some rather strange things in their music that I didn't like, such as the song Mama Said or the part where the woman sings in The Memory Remains. Still, I have always considered them to be fantastic albums.

Vael Nir
2008-08-18, 06:10 PM
I need to spread some Iron Savior (http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=3naiXd6uSKw) love. Hard, tough, leathery love.

I've been trying to find Bass tabs for that song, no luck. And I'm not good enough to do it myself just from listening. :smallconfused:

DraPrime
2008-08-18, 08:07 PM
*gasp*

Somebody likes other than me knows of (and likes) Iron Saviour? I don't think I've ever seen anyone like that. Iron Saviour is indeed awesome. I always considered Gamma Ray to be a rather uninteresting band, but Kai Hensen is really incredible in Iron Saviour.

zeratul
2008-08-18, 08:20 PM
I have a question. Is missing 2 days of school in october, and 2 in january worth it to see children of bodom and testament in october, and metallica and machine head in january?

DraPrime
2008-08-18, 08:29 PM
Metallica and Machine Head? Yes! Children of Bodom and Testament? Well....I'm not sure. I don't like COB much, but Testament is pretty awesome. I got to see them last Friday when they played with Judas Priest and Heaven and Hell. They were great. If you like COB as much as you like Testament then I guess it's worth it.

zeratul
2008-08-18, 08:37 PM
I'm actually more into Bodom then testament myself *avoids rocks about to be thrown*

DraPrime
2008-08-18, 08:41 PM
In that case go ahead and and miss some school. I myself have seen the following bands this year:

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Testament
Heaven and Hell

And I hope to add Iced Earth to the list but they play on a school night so I'm having difficulty convincing my parents to let me go.

zeratul
2008-08-18, 08:46 PM
And I hope to add Iced Earth to the list but they play on a school night so I'm having difficulty convincing my parents to let me go.

Yeah for me the option is see bodom nearby with the black daliah murder and between the buried and me and no testament , get home at three in the morning and go to school the next day, or see them in new york city, miss part of one school day and not go to school the next day, but be able to be in new york city, and see them with testament.

DraPrime
2008-08-18, 09:00 PM
Well I'd say that it comes down to which you want to see more, black daliah murder or testament. But for testament and COB I (if I liked COB as much as you do) would miss school. Besides, going to school when you're exhausted from a night of heavy metal and poor sleep isn't pleasant.

Arlion
2008-08-18, 09:12 PM
Reload and Load were in fact really good albums,they arent very popular because its different than their predecesors,but you cant blame metallica!like most bands they have been playng and writing the same songs almost everyday for 20 years,they just wanted a change in style,and they made it quite well

as for Saint Anger,i havent really heard it,so i cant oppine

Vael Nir
2008-08-19, 03:07 AM
Tell us about it when you go! I'm also into COB, and would like to know how they do live...

I'm probably seeing Schandmaul and Sonata Arctica in november. :smallsmile:

(edit, both dates are in november)

Whoracle
2008-08-19, 09:24 AM
Dude, go see Black Dahlia Murder. While I really like Testament, they don't stand a chance against the almost brutal infusion of happy you get with BDM.

Also: Bodom... I sure hope Alexi has laid off the booze. When I saw them last, he sure looked (and acted) ****ty. But at Wacken this year he seemed to have gotten a grip on himself, according to my friends.

zeratul
2008-08-19, 10:42 AM
From what I've heard he basically never lays off it, but it usually doesn't affect his playing.

DraPrime
2008-08-19, 11:57 AM
Is anyone here looking forward to the new Iced Earth album?

SurlySeraph
2008-08-19, 12:05 PM
The metal thread is back! Wooohoooo!

Anyway, I have heard Cyanide. It sounds quite good. From what I've heard it's supposedly the worst song on Death Magnetic, which is actually making me really excited about the new album.

Not as good as Ride the Lightning, but still very good.

Indeed, Fuel is awesome. Since you mentioned, Unforgiven II, is anyone else here really eager to hear Unforgiven III?

They're making an "Unforgiven III"? I love Unforgiven and Unforgiven II, so that'll be awesome.
Unless it's in the same style as "St. Anger"...

Great song to pick Zeratul. :smalltongue:

Who here listens to Arch Enemy, the all singing, all shredding melodic death metal group? I'm still not sure whether Rise of the Tyrant was a good or sub-par album. Some tracks really stand out, but the others just feel like filler. Also the quality was a bit.... messed. I'm not sure. Felt too muddy, not clear enough.

Yeah, I like Arch Enemy. I don't listen to much death metal, but they're great. I definitely liked Rise of the Tyrant.

DraPrime
2008-08-19, 12:59 PM
They're making an "Unforgiven III"? I love Unforgiven and Unforgiven II, so that'll be awesome.
Unless it's in the same style as "St. Anger"...

Well let's see. They have guitar solos again. They don't have really messed up tuning. The drums don't sound like trash cans. I don't think it's going to be like St. Anger. And now that I've mentioned this album, is there anyone on these forums who liked St. Anger?

Spiryt
2008-08-19, 01:09 PM
And now that I've mentioned this album, is there anyone on these forums who liked St. Anger?

I don't find it so bad, I actually sorta liked drums. Bass was weird, and I probably never actually listened to whole Some Kind of Monster. Many other tracks were also pretty dull, put Purify, Dirty Window and My World are definetly OK, and Unnamed Feeling is Great.

zeratul
2008-08-19, 01:22 PM
Well let's see. They have guitar solos again. They don't have really messed up tuning. The drums don't sound like trash cans. I don't think it's going to be like St. Anger. And now that I've mentioned this album, is there anyone on these forums who liked St. Anger?

It was okay by album standards sort of. It wasn't something I would listen to, as I said it sounded like an angrier Nickeback, and I am not a Nickleback fan.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-19, 01:38 PM
Dream Theater. I'm leaving now.

Jayngfet
2008-08-19, 01:50 PM
I'm currently listening to Manowar, think I'll listen to celesty or gorgoroth later(who said I had to limit my taste in metal?).

Last_resort_33
2008-08-19, 01:51 PM
As far as good gigs go. I'm still in awe of the awesomeness of Wacken.

I haven't looked at this forum for well over a year, so I apologise if anyone else has said, but DID ANYONE HERE GO TO WACKEN OPEN AIR THIS YEAR?

zeratul
2008-08-19, 01:52 PM
Oh so if we have the talent opportunity and songs by then, my band wants to do a show at this community center on Death Metal Day 2009.:smallbiggrin:

Decoy Lockbox
2008-08-19, 03:46 PM
I'm going with some friends to see Warbringer and Finntroll this friday, and my only dilemma is whether to wear my Bathory or Sodom shirt. The show should be excellent though -- for those not familiar with Warbringer, here is the first song from their newest album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd4gIoiF4QI&feature=related

Later this year I am seeing Sigh+Unexpect, as well as Belphegor+Amon Amarth+Ensiferum. I may also be seeing Overkill+Warbringer (again), if money permits.

Looks like I am the third person in this thread to be in love with Iron Savior -- those guys should get a lot more recognition than they do, they are amazing. I just started to listen to them last year, and my preferred method of appreciating their awesomeness is to listen to one of their cd's over and over again before moving onto the next one in order. So far I am about 4 listens away from finishing Dark Assault, then I'll move onto Condition Red. My favorite album of theirs so far is Unification, with favorite song "Mind over Matter". What about you other Iron Savior guys? Which do you think is their best album?

You guys all know my feelings about Metallica from the Cyanide thread (and shall I say I'm not exactly a big Machine Head fan), but you really should go to that Testament+COB show! I've only heard a little COB myself, but it seemed great. And I would kill to be able to mosh it up while "Into the Pit" blared forth from the stage! I missed a Testament show in my neck of woods last summer and I am still kicking myself for it.

I'm trying to get some of my friends jazzed up enough to fly across the Pond for Wacken next summer or something, but so far only a few have the cash.

So, I've got a discussion topic if anyone is interested:

There seems to be a disproportionate amount of gamers/nerds/geeks who are into metal music as opposed to the normal population. Whats up with that?

zeratul
2008-08-19, 04:10 PM
There seems to be a disproportionate amount of gamers/nerds/geeks who are into metal music as opposed to the normal population. Whats up with that?

I guess there's a tendency of nerds and geeks and such to be the weird kid in their youth and stuff, and as rob zombie said "Metal is just all the weird kids in one place."

There's also a lot of metal about nerdy things (Nightfall in Middle Earth by Blind Guardian, need I say more?)

thedavo
2008-08-19, 04:52 PM
i saw At The Gates on sunday.

they were incredible.

i'm also planning on seeing Nile in a couple of weeks.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-20, 01:37 AM
i saw At The Gates on sunday.

they were incredible.

i'm also planning on seeing Nile in a couple of weeks.

Did you just discover death metal yesterday?

Vael Nir
2008-08-20, 03:19 AM
Concerning Iron Saviour, I don't have Unification yet, so I wouldn't know. I'm still wayyyy too much into Condition Red to listen to the others much at the moment. :smallbiggrin:

So many good songs on that album, it's amazing...

zeratul
2008-08-20, 01:25 PM
So just out of curiosity what's the general opinion on Pantera around here? I've been getting really in to them lately. Dimebag was an amazing guitarist.

DraPrime
2008-08-20, 02:47 PM
Yeah, Dimebag Darrel was pretty good. But I think he was greatly overrated because of his death, and receives too much praise. I generally dislike Pantera because I dislike the raspy/rough singing. I prefer to hear something that actually sounds pleasant.

Jayngfet
2008-08-20, 02:50 PM
I'm wondering, what does the playground say about celesty?

thedavo
2008-08-20, 02:50 PM
Did you just discover death metal yesterday?

No.

I listen to a lot of death metal, and I was expecting At The Gates to be pretty good live. I've not listened to them much in the past, due to buying The Red In The Sky Is Ours and not liking it very much. However, they absolutely blew me away, and were the band of the festival I went to (Bloodstock) for me.

Also, Pirate Metal anyone? (www.myspace.com/alestorm)

Vael Nir
2008-08-20, 02:54 PM
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Hoggy
2008-08-20, 05:29 PM
You were at Bloodstock?

I hate you. :smallfrown:

Had to get rid of my ticket - too much hassle/money to be lost getting the time of work. No festival for j00, Hoggy.

Missed Opeth as well. Were they good?

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-21, 12:41 AM
Running Wild already did pretty much everything that can be done with the "pirate metal" concept a long time ago, and did it much better. As in, actually kinda well. Alestorm is one of the worst bands I have heard in a long time which is saying a lot as I've just heard both Shining of Kliffoth and (the German) Equilibrium for the first time recently. So awful.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-21, 12:45 AM

Of course not. You know you didn't really have to ask...

DraPrime
2008-08-21, 10:32 AM
Why do all the other parts of the world (especially Europe) get awesome heavy metal festivals, while New England only gets 1 band at a time?

Vael Nir
2008-08-21, 04:38 PM
... is saying a lot as I've just heard both Shining of Kliffoth and (the German) Equilibrium for the first time recently. So awful.

I like Equilibrium... not everyone shares your tastes. I wouldn't put Alestorm on my ipod for anything except the novelty value, Equilibrium however is nearly always on it.

DraPrime
2008-08-21, 04:52 PM
I generally dislike Equilibrium, but I can definitely see why somebody would like them.

thedavo
2008-08-21, 05:23 PM
You were at Bloodstock?

Had to get rid of my ticket - too much hassle/money to be lost getting the time of work. No festival for j00, Hoggy.

Opeth were also great. Was well worth the £85, even though Dimmu Borgir absolutely sucked.

Oh, and Alestorm were entertaining, although i probably wouldn't actually listen to them normally. Evil Scarecrow and Conquest Of Steel were comedy highlights of the weekend though.

Raistlin1040
2008-08-21, 05:25 PM
Alright, I have a question for all you metalheads. A guy on my soccer team and I were talking music the other day, and he is a "serious" metal-guy. Like, can give you dozens of bands, and list if they are Prog-Metal, Doom Metal, Christian Post-Apoloclyptica Scream Metal, whatever. And in his words, Metallica isn't metal, Judas Priest isn't metal, Black Sabbath isn't metal, and Iron Maiden isn't metal. After rethinking it, he said "Metallica is kind of metal. I guess. Really soft metal though."

Frankly, he's kind of an idiot. Still, not listening to much "metal" myself, I figured I'd ask the experts. Are these four bands metal or not? Seems kind of obvious to me, but I could be wrong.

Edit: I also mentioned Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple of examples of Hard Rock bands that influenced a lot of the metal sound, and he rolled his eyes and said I don't know anything. A rather painful blow to my pride, as I like to think I know a lot about musical history.

Spiryt
2008-08-21, 05:29 PM
To me, all this pigeonholing is generally pointless...

But 4,5 first albums of Metallica are metal. If he says that they aren't... well he's wrong from most points of view.

Black Sabbath indeed isn't metal. At least early one. Songs like Paranoid have many metal traits and are certainly inspiration, but most of stuff isn't very metal.

( I don't listen to Dio's BS, so I can't talk about this part).

Maiden... Well even if it sometimes sounds soft compared to modern bands, IM is epitome of metal.

About JP I don't know.

thedavo
2008-08-21, 05:31 PM
Horde (brutal, savage, Christian black metal)
Emperor (one of the greatest black metal bands of all time)
Swallow The Sun (doom with death influences)
Virgin Black (symphonic gothic doom, with death influences)
Aletheian (uber-technical progressive death metal)
Annihilator (thrash)
Pig Destroyer (grindcore)
Lair Of The Minotaur (brutal thrash)
High On Fire (rifftacular thrash/doom)

Edit: Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are certainly metal. Early Metallica is metal, and has he heard Heaven And Hell? Dio-era sabbath is definately metal, as is the vast majority of the ozzy stuff.

DraPrime
2008-08-21, 05:33 PM
A question

Well Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest are in fact metal, but by different standards. When they were around, they were some of the heaviest stuff there. Metal has changed and become more heavy (partly due to metallica), so some older bands might not be considered heavy metal by some, but they are heavy metal. Just by different standards. And I agree, Iron Maiden is the epitome of metal, and a shining beacon of AWESOME that all heavy metal bands should aspire to.

Raistlin1040
2008-08-21, 05:39 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured. He's into bands like Slipknot and As I Lay Dying (Both bands that I hate), and my tastes are primarily 60s-80s, while his are almost exclusivly mid-90s to now, so he's probably one of the people who thinks it's not metal unless it's...*looks at Slipknot*...whatever that is.

Spiryt
2008-08-21, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure what is Slipknot, but it's not metal.

DraPrime
2008-08-21, 05:48 PM
Oh it's metal. Nu Metal :smallyuk: Ja lubie to nazywać gówno

Helanna
2008-08-21, 05:57 PM
So, does anyone else on this forum like Mastadon, Dragonforce, Disturbed, or Slipknot? Because I went to the Mayhem Festival (for Disturbed and Dragonforce, mostly).

It. Was. Awesome. My only regret is that my camera took poor videos and I can barely recognize any of Dragonforce's songs on it. Although I do have some really awesome pictures.

I don't actually like stereotypical metal. I mostly listen to 'different' metal, like power metal and symphonic metal. Anyone else like Nightwish and Within Temptation?

thedavo
2008-08-21, 06:04 PM
disturbed and dragonforce bore me. mastodon are generally great, although they were terrible last time i saw them.

nightwish were entertaining enough at bloodstock. don't listen to them a great deal though.

DraPrime
2008-08-21, 06:05 PM
I generally dislike Slipknot, Dragonforce, and Disturbed. Mastadon is pretty good though.

Spiryt
2008-08-21, 06:13 PM
Oh it's metal. Nu Metal :smallyuk: Ja lubie to nazywać gówno

Haha. :smallbiggrin: Ciekawe czy Allara zna polski?

Slipknot can be nice in proper mood, but generally it's not great indeed. Left Behind is nice, and I actually like Wait and Bleed. Many other tracks that consist of chainsaw like sound all time I don't exaclty get.

DraPrime
2008-08-21, 07:25 PM
Haha. :smallbiggrin: Ciekawe czy Allara zna polski?

Mam nadzieję że nie :smalleek:

Metal Head
2008-08-21, 09:36 PM
Has anyone listened to Dark Empire? They're a fairly new band, but they're really awesome. My cousin showed them to me, and ever since then I can't stop listening the only 2 albums they have. And btw Spyrit and Dragonprime, I don't know if Allara can read that, but I know I can :smalltongue:

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 08:54 AM
And btw Spyrit and Dragonprime, I don't know if Allara can read that, but I know I can :smalltongue:

Dlatego że ty jesteś w mojej rodzinie.

Spiryt
2008-08-22, 09:01 AM
Dlatego że ty jesteś w mojej rodzinie.

Czy w Stanach istnieje jakaś polska, metalowa mafia, o której nic nie wiem?

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 09:20 AM
Niestety nie. Jest tylko ja i muj brat cioteczny.

Anyway, to keep this thread from spiraling into a conversation in another language between 3 Polish guys let me also recommend Dark Empire. They really are good. VERY good. I think that you should stop reading these forums right now, and go find some of their music. Don't keep reading this. GO!

Spiryt
2008-08-22, 09:24 AM
Well, speaking in polish topics, does anyone know Decapitated? Nice Technical Death band, I like their tracks, even though I'm not so into death. From my region, acidentally.

Niestety nie. Jestem tylko ja i mój brat cioteczny.
!

That's my inner grammar Nazi. I'm sorry. :smallbiggrin: And indeed time to shut it now.

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 09:42 AM
That's my inner grammar Nazi. I'm sorry. :smallbiggrin: And indeed time to shut it now.

Well actually I'm not surprised I made that mistake. I don't actually write a lot in Polish, so my spelling (and grammar) can sometimes be kind of...questionable. Anyway, enough of the Polishness.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-08-22, 12:24 PM
Alright, I have a question for all you metalheads. A guy on my soccer team and I were talking music the other day, and he is a "serious" metal-guy. Like, can give you dozens of bands, and list if they are Prog-Metal, Doom Metal, Christian Post-Apoloclyptica Scream Metal, whatever. And in his words, Metallica isn't metal, Judas Priest isn't metal, Black Sabbath isn't metal, and Iron Maiden isn't metal. After rethinking it, he said "Metallica is kind of metal. I guess. Really soft metal though."

Frankly, he's kind of an idiot. Still, not listening to much "metal" myself, I figured I'd ask the experts. Are these four bands metal or not? Seems kind of obvious to me, but I could be wrong.

Edit: I also mentioned Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple of examples of Hard Rock bands that influenced a lot of the metal sound, and he rolled his eyes and said I don't know anything. A rather painful blow to my pride, as I like to think I know a lot about musical history.

What you have here is basically an idiot who is completely clueless about metal history and is into new and fashionable bands. Led Zeppelin (along with Blue Cheer, Uriah Heep, etc) certainly WERE bands that, while not metal themselves, influenced the early days of metal. Most metal fans agree that Black Sabbath was the first "true" metal band -- one listen to the title track of their first LP should be enough to prove this. While it is true that a lot of their stuff was very bluesy, the other stuff was solidly metal.

From what this guy is saying, he basically seems to be categorizing "metal" and "not metal" by "amount of screaming". He is probably really into metalcore but is ignorant about that genre's origins too.

Judas Priest and Iron Maiden were important bands in the history of metal, and they continue to put out quality material to this day. Sure their music doesn't contain death grunts and the like, but neither did most metal prior to the late 80s. Honestly, the bands he likes probably list Iron Maiden and Priest as influences while doing interviews. This guy must either have never heard of power metal or not consider it "br00tal" enough to be actual metal. If he had, he should know that the guitar and vocal techniques used by Priest/Maiden were highly influential on that subgenre as well.

Now onto calling Metallica "not metal" -- say what you will about their later career (and by later I mean "since 1990"), but their first four albums thrashed it up with the best of them. Metallica stood alongside Exodus, Kreator and Slayer as the earliest members of the thrash metal genre in the 80s, and since almost all modern "extreme metal" bands (including the ones this guy likes) are heavily thrash-based, Metallica and their cohorts are also highly influential on the modern metal sound.

So basically you can either go back to this guy and tell him "a bunch of people on the internet said you were dumb", or you can give him the facts. Being "a serious metal guy" isn't just about liking metal, its also about knowing the storied history of your favorite genre of music. And this guy is really clueless.

@ Metal Head -- someone on here recommended Dark Empire a few weeks ago (was it you?), and I gave their "Humanity Dethroned" album a listen. It was pretty good, and some of the songs were genuinely awesome.

@ Vael Nir -- Condition Red must be just as awesome as Unification, because when I think of the latter, my first thought is "unending cavalcade of good songs/riffs". For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USFhN-sNY00

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 12:57 PM
@ Metal Head -- someone on here recommended Dark Empire a few weeks ago (was it you?), and I gave their "Humanity Dethroned" album a listen. It was pretty good, and some of the songs were genuinely awesome.]

Actually I believe that was me. Go and listen to their other album, Distant Tides. It's only got 6 songs (which makes me wonder if it's not really and EP), and they're all pretty awesome.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-22, 01:35 PM
How can anyone like Equilibrium? I heard the new album and every single song was a complete rip off of "Trollhammaren" mixed with the synth line from "The Final Countdown". It's one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life. Even worse than the band they rip off which is something I never thought I would see. {Scrubbed}

thedavo
2008-08-22, 02:30 PM
From what this guy is saying, he basically seems to be categorizing "metal" and "not metal" by "amount of screaming". He is probably really into metalcore but is ignorant about that genre's origins too.

tell him he needs to own Where Blood And Fire Brings Rest by Zao. 99% of metalcore bands rip off this band completely. It was released 10 years ago now, but it still sounds bang up-to date.

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 02:39 PM
Now I'm gonna bring up a topic that I discussed in the last metal thread. It's about growling. So here's my question: Why on earth would you want to listen to it? Actual singing sounds pleasant. Growling just sounds like someone singing with a really sore throat. It just doesn't sound at all that good. Rough singing can be good (see early Metallica), but growling? It just sounds horrible to me. So, what do you all think?

bigbaddragon
2008-08-22, 02:51 PM
Lake of Tears anyone? Here are some songs in the case you are not familiar with them:

So Fell Autumn Rain (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3cJxIi4Dhjw)

Can Die No More (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8dw-SV48S7A&feature=related)

Raistlin And The Rose (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uRfBIijzlEM)

Devil's Diner (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uXJub7ntQoM)

Cosmic Weed (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRG6y8XRGc)

I think they are a bit underrated (at least where I live) and could use some more attention.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-22, 06:30 PM
Now I'm gonna bring up a topic that I discussed in the last metal thread. It's about growling. So here's my question: Why on earth would you want to listen to it? Actual singing sounds pleasant. Growling just sounds like someone singing with a really sore throat. It just doesn't sound at all that good. Rough singing can be good (see early Metallica), but growling? It just sounds horrible to me. So, what do you all think?

Because it is cool, it makes the music more menacing, and it enhances the music's evilness. All great things for Metal.

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 06:32 PM
How is it cool? And menacing =/= good if it doesn't sound pleasant.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-22, 06:33 PM
Lake of Tears anyone? Here are some songs in the case you are not familiar with them:

So Fell Autumn Rain (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3cJxIi4Dhjw)

Can Die No More (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8dw-SV48S7A&feature=related)

Raistlin And The Rose (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uRfBIijzlEM)

Devil's Diner (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uXJub7ntQoM)

Cosmic Weed (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRG6y8XRGc)

I think they are a bit underrated (at least where I live) and could use some more attention.

Just another run of the mill "progressive" outfit. I have a hard time understanding how it is "progressive" to do the same things hundreds of bands have already completely worn out over a decade ago, but then again, I lack the intellectual capacity to understand most "great art".

Also, I'm predudiced against anything that comes from Sweden.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-22, 06:37 PM
How is it cool? And menacing =/= good if it doesn't sound pleasant.

{Scrubbed}

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 06:50 PM
By pleasant I didn't mean "sunshine and happiness" pleasant. I meant enjoyable pleasant. Take the song Painkiller, which I love. It isn't exactly a happy or very soft song. But I still enjoy it. But when I hear growling, I just cringe. It's like trying to enjoy the sound of a poorly oiled machine. And btw, insulting me by saying that I lack the constitution for it doesn't make you right.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-22, 06:58 PM
By pleasant I didn't mean "sunshine and happiness" pleasant. I meant enjoyable pleasant. Take the song Painkiller, which I love. It isn't exactly a happy or very soft song. But I still enjoy it. But when I hear growling, I just cringe. It's like trying to enjoy the sound of a poorly oiled machine. And btw, insulting me by saying that I lack the constitution for it doesn't make you right.

{Scrubbed}

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 07:12 PM
I draw the line when singing changes to something that sounds like a broken power tool. And you still really haven't given me a legitimate reason for why growling is good.

Thurbane
2008-08-22, 07:32 PM
Longtime metalhead here.

Fave bands include:

Slayer
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Queensryche
Black Sabbath
Dio
Megadeth
Kreator
Tankard
Danzig
Exodus
Overkill
Motorhead
Nuclear Assault
Destruction
Bathory
Candlemass
Rage
Metal Church
Biohazard
White Zombie
Celtic Frost
Manowar

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-22, 07:57 PM
I draw the line when singing changes to something that sounds like a broken power tool. And you still really haven't given me a legitimate reason for why growling is good.

The same reason normal singing is good. Or guitars are good. Or drums. Or whatever. Because some people want to growl, and some want to hear growls.

Powerslave44
2008-08-22, 08:02 PM
Sometimes a vocalist with a good growl is great, more often than not that isn't the case, and there's no way to understand the lyrics. Regardless, your question can't really be answered, as it comes down to personal preference. Growls and clean vocals both have their place in metal, I wouldn't say I prefer either one to the other. If you want to listen to a band with a guy that can actually manage a good death growl and maintain good annunciation, check out Dark Tranquillity on youtube.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-22, 08:23 PM
and there's no way to understand the lyrics.

I can understand growls prolly nine times out of ten. It comes with listening experience.

Also, nobody check out Dark Tranquility. It is one of the worst bands in the world. Listening to them will reduce the quality of your life significantly.

Roland St. Jude
2008-08-22, 08:51 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please do not insult, attack, belittle, or abuse other posters. That includes all name-calling, negative characterization, and passive-aggressive flaming. Please follow the Forum Rules.

Arlion
2008-08-22, 09:07 PM
METALlica not metal?is he crazy?i think metal and i think metallica!
Led Zepelin,deep purple and black sabbath invented metal
Tell him that metal is not about screaming and looking ugly

Arlion
2008-08-22, 09:30 PM
does anybody here heard Ratablanca?they are awsome

zeratul
2008-08-22, 09:42 PM
Calling Metallica, Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden not metal is like saying milk isn't a dairy product. Slipknot is nu metal which is in this one mans opinion metal's worst genre aside from disturbed which is decent metal.

Powerslave44
2008-08-22, 10:12 PM
I can understand growls prolly nine times out of ten. It comes with listening experience.

Also, nobody check out Dark Tranquility. It is one of the worst bands in the world. Listening to them will reduce the quality of your life significantly.

{scrubbed}

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 10:20 PM
Calling Metallica, Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden not metal is like saying milk isn't a dairy product. Slipknot is nu metal which is in this one mans opinion metal's worst genre aside from disturbed which is decent metal.

This is the damn truth.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-22, 10:56 PM
{scrubbed}

{Scrubbed}
I'm not "enraged" by him misleading people into believing Dark Tranquility is has anything to do with good music. I'm more saddened than anything else...

Also, who said Metallica, Priest, and Maiden aren't Metal?? They need some sense knocked into their heads. Sabbath is actually debatable, though. It would be fair to say that they were never a full fledged Metal band until Ozzy went out and Dio came in. "Hevean and Hell" is 1,000 times more Metal than any of their previous albums all of which are borderline.

DemonicAngel
2008-08-22, 11:00 PM
I actually cant really listen to growling. don't really like it, and I like good vocals and lyrics, so yeah...

anyhow, Disturbed, Three days grace, metallica, Iron maiden and a few others on my computer.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-08-23, 01:22 AM
I like some of the different metal and some of the regular stuff

Rage Against the Machine
Primus
Faith No More
Metallica
Early Man
Disturbed
Bullet For My Valentine
AC/DC (I think they're metal, some people I know don't)
Alice In Chains
Black Sabbath
Danzig

Are a random sample of my listenings

Decoy Lockbox
2008-08-23, 02:14 AM
I used to dislike growly vocals, but then I slowly became more into them. Its an acquired taste, but is very fun once you get into it. I listen to metal from all over the spectrum, so I can appreciate singing and growling equally. Though usually not in the same song, unless its Opeth.

If the band doing the growling wanted you to understand the lyrics, they wouldn't be growling now would they? It doesn't make much sense, but then again, neither does not releasing your lyrics like some black metal bands do.

So anyway, I just got back from Warbringer+Finntroll and it was great. There was this crazy guy doing some sort of "secret moshing technique", which was very amusing to watch. I managed to avoid breaking any bones (or my glasses thankfully), which is always nice.

Happytime
2008-08-23, 02:20 AM
You were at Bloodstock?

ZOO DOOD

This thread needs moar Opeth.

Vael Nir
2008-08-23, 02:28 AM
How can anyone like Equilibrium? I heard the new album and every single song was a complete rip off of "Trollhammaren" mixed with the synth line from "The Final Countdown". It's one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life. Even worse than the band they rip off which is something I never thought I would see. {Scrubbed}

I listen to Equilibrium when I want something powerful, loud and fun. Much like Finntroll. As to every song being a Trollhammaren ripoff... are you serious? They make fairly similar music, which in my mind is a positive thing. Equilibrium tend to be a bit more bombastic/louder (their use of synths highlights this), which makes them very much a mood-dependent band for me. Plus, I can actually understand the lyrics, being able to speak german...

My favourite song from the old album:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=r4iKOIr1Heg

If you want to see what I mean, listen to the 6th song of the new album. If you really don't like them, just *say* that... don't try and justify it by accusing them of being a ripoff, you'll not make many friends of people who *do* happen to like them that way...

DraPrime
2008-08-23, 08:58 AM
Wow we've been having a lot of scrubbed messages.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-23, 10:07 AM
Wow we've been having a lot of scrubbed messages.

What's a scrubbed message?

Also, I did listen to the new Equilibrium album recently for the purposes of reviewing it (which I haven't done yet, but soon) and except the last song, which sucked in it's own unique way, every single song on the album distinctly sounded like a complete rip-off of the song "Trollhammaren". The only way anyone wouldn't instantly recognize this would be if they had alluminum ears.

Hoggy
2008-08-23, 10:30 AM
ZOO DOOD

This thread needs moar Opeth.

LK2! WTF!

Life itself needs moar Opeth, IMO, but I'm biased. :smalltongue: However, one of my freinds who was at Bloodstock said even they weren't up to their usual standard. No Blackwater Park/Bleak? Poor show!

Also, I like Swedish music. Scandinavian music is usually cool.

Also also, I still don't have Ihsahn's new album, and this makes me sad. I need to pikey a friend's credit card to remedy such an abysmal situation.

Also: Slipknot/Children of Bodom playing the Sheffield FM arena on December 12th. Meh. Also on that tour: Machine Head.

Hell. Yes.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-23, 10:42 AM
Opeth isn't Metal, so this thread actually need a lot less of it.

Hoggy
2008-08-23, 10:58 AM
Then we obviously have very different ideas of what metal is. :smallwink: It's generally agreed by most that Opeth are (progressive melodic death) metal, and they sound pretty metalish to me.

Listening to the new Metallica song (The Day That Never Comes, streaming off their website). I like it. Sounds quite Load-ish to me, which I class as no bad thing, because I quite liked that album. Just got into a bit more thrashier-bit at 4ish mins.

DraPrime
2008-08-23, 11:00 AM

They're posts that get scrubbed by the mods for having bad content. Look back on page 2. You'll see some.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-23, 11:06 AM
Then we obviously have very different ideas of what metal is. :smallwink: It's generally agreed by most that Opeth are (progressive melodic death) metal, and they sound pretty metalish to me.

They have maybe a couple metal riffs per album, a couple of death grunts, and 90% of the time the music is usually playing some kind of prog rock stuff. I can't see that being considered "metal" music by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe prog rock with very slight touches of metal, but not metal itself.

Don't feel too bad about getting it alll wrong, though, there is all kinds of stuff that get's called metal these days that has absolutely nothing to do with metal. Like sludge "metal". Most people seem to forget that fact that all sludge metal is 100% post rock. There are a bunch of other similar things, and prog rock like Opeth being called prog metal or even death metal is just another one of them.

Hoggy
2008-08-23, 11:27 AM
A couple metal riffs per album? Well, I'm going to assume you don't listen to a whole lot of Opeth then. Their ealry stuff is far less prog, far more metal. It's only when you get towards the Steve Wilson-era stuff that it gets progressive, and only on their last two album would I say there's equal amounts of prog and metal. Everything before that has been more metal. But again, different views. S'all good and stuff. :smallsmile:

zeratul
2008-08-23, 12:24 PM

Uhm, have you listened to opeth? They are very much a metal band. As for Equilibrium, many folk metal bands sound rather similar, but that doesn't necessarily make them bad. I mean Alestorm sounds like they ripped of turisas big time, but I can still enjoy their pirate metal.

It does annoy me however when people use "Battle Metal" as a term for bands like alestorm, blind guardian, and others. There's always only been one battle metal band which is Turisas.

DraPrime
2008-08-23, 01:51 PM
How on earth is Blind Guardian battle metal? They're without a doubt symphonic/power metal.

zeratul
2008-08-23, 02:00 PM
How on earth is Blind Guardian battle metal? They're without a doubt symphonic/power metal.

I dunno, then again since there is no strict definition for battle metal other than "the music turisas does" the term can be applied to whatever. Metalhammer likes to throw it around a lot.

DraPrime
2008-08-23, 02:27 PM
Metal has way too many subgenres. It seems like whenever a band does something remotely different then a new subgenre is immediately created. I'm wondering how many subgenres we're gonna have in 2015

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-23, 02:27 PM
"Battle Metal" is a made up genre that has no meaning. It is the same as "forest metal" or "epic archaic metal" (real funny story behind this one, and the guy who DEMANDED his band be labeled as such, I'll tell you guys some time). Turisas isn't the only band to call itself "battle metal".

Also, Blind Guardian is Power Metal. Just power metal. There is no need to go into infinite detail with the genre naming conventions, I mean, "symphonic melodic epic power metal with speed metal influence" is really tiresome to say/type and defeats the purpose of genres which is to give a short hand reference to the general style of music a band plays. It doesn't have to be a hyper accurate description of a band's every idiosyncracy.

DraPrime
2008-08-23, 02:29 PM
The symphonic is a minor detail in Blind Guardian. They're pretty much split down the middle between power and symphonc.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-23, 02:29 PM
Metal has way too many subgenres. It seems like whenever a band does something remotely different then a new subgenre is immediately created. I'm wondering how many subgenres we're gonna have in 2015

Only a tiny minority of bands/artists have been enough egos to do that, but considering how many metal bands there are out there in the world today, a small minority is a fairly decent number of bands making up nonsensicle genre labels for themselves. You just have to ignore them.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-08-23, 03:51 PM
So when this thread was created, I was just sorta waiting until it devolved into a giant argue-fest about "which bands are/aren't metal" and "which bands are or aren't in what subgenre". Looks like it took less time than I thought it would.

Wouldn't it be useful if there was actually a concrete definition of "metal"? It would really end a lot of arguments. Anybody got any ideas on what that might be?

DraPrime
2008-08-23, 04:45 PM
It's hard to define, but I would say that rock becomes metal when the shift focuses to the instruments and the bass is actually audible.

zeratul
2008-08-23, 05:51 PM
Id say to learn a ton about metal, watch the movie Metal a Headdbangers Journey. It's a great documentary, but also very informative. Anyone here seen it?

DraPrime
2008-08-23, 08:05 PM
No, I haven't seen it, but now I do. I'm looking at the wikipedia article, and it says that Judas Priest is power metal. What? :smallconfused: Despite some subgenre disagreements I might have, this does look interesting.

This reminds me of an upcoming movie called Get Thrashed. It's about thrash metal (as the title might imply). Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urDF7vgOaFg) a nice little trailer.

zeratul
2008-08-23, 08:19 PM
No, I haven't seen it, but now I do. I'm looking at the wikipedia article, and it says that Judas Priest is power metal. What? :smallconfused: Despite some subgenre disagreements I might have, this does look interesting.

This reminds me of an upcoming movie called Get Thrashed. It's about thrash metal (as the title might imply). Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urDF7vgOaFg) a nice little trailer.

Looks interesting, You should rent headbangers journey sometime man, I think you'd like it a lot. There have however been some genre issues in their table o genres.

DraPrime
2008-08-23, 08:21 PM
There have however been some genre issues in their table o genres.

Well no one is quite as obsessed with musical classification quite as much as a metal head. Look how many subgenres we have!

Raistlin1040
2008-08-23, 10:09 PM
It's hard to define, but I would say that rock becomes metal when the shift focuses to the instruments and the bass is actually audible.

As I've said before, not a metalhead, but I disagree with that assessment. By that logic, Rush is metal. They are all VERY good at their instruments, and show off, and the bass is always audible.

I think metal is just a darker sound. Bands like Guns N' Roses might stradle the fence a little bit, but on the whole, I think metal is more of a combination of how the instruments (and vocalist) sound, a lot like other genres. For example, Justin Timberlake would never front a metal band, or a rock band. Paul McCartney wouldn't be a bass player for Slayer. Ginger Baker wouldn't drum with Metallica.

I think, breaking down the sound makes it easier to define what is metal. Metal uses a 5-Man sound more often, though a lot of Hard Rock bands use it too. Metal (usually) has a more distinct bass. Metal usually has more of a thundering drum sound, as opposed to a more tinny sound. Metal can have any time of vocalist, like rock, but usually the vocalists are a bit more dynamic than average, not taking into account your Melodic Death Metal or whatever.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2008-08-23, 10:45 PM
Having lived for a while in Finland, I am obligated to like metal that seems kinda sissy but is secretly extremely hardcore, and vice versa. In example, Goth Metal and Viking Metal, respectively. It takes a real man to have an operatic female singer dueting about his romantic problems and existential derision for humanity/covering Leonard Cohen*.

*Only if they are Norwegian!!!one!thisisveryimportantasisshownbyexcl aimingpoints!

Decoy Lockbox
2008-08-24, 01:38 AM
The Headbangers journey was pretty good, though they didn't talk very much about death or black metal. Also, Cradle of Filth somehow made it into the "Norwegian black metal" genre....not quite sure how a British band does that. I think the movie accomplished it's mission, but its certainly not the end all be all information piece of metal. Get thrashed, however, is quite informative, as is "choosing death: the improbable history of death metal".

Mephisto
2008-08-24, 01:48 AM

Saying anything the mod staff disagrees with means your post retroactively never existed. Move along, citizen.

Anyway, today's serving of metal is "Not Unlike the Waves" by Agalloch. Awesome.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-08-24, 03:52 AM
The Headbangers journey was pretty good, though they didn't talk very much about death or black metal. Also, Cradle of Filth somehow made it into the "Norwegian black metal" genre....not quite sure how a British band does that. I think the movie accomplished it's mission, but its certainly not the end all be all information piece of metal. Get thrashed, however, is quite informative, as is "choosing death: the improbable history of death metal".

That movie was absolutely hilarious, I'm still not sure what the point was but it did make me lol.

Hoggy
2008-08-24, 06:23 AM
Anyway, today's serving of metal is "Not Unlike the Waves" by Agalloch. Awesome.

Much like with Opeth, life also needs moar Agalloch. I do beleive I now know 5 people who listen to them. While the number is very slowly rising, it's still far too low and makes me sad.

DraPrime
2008-08-24, 07:56 AM
Hoggy, is it just me, or do you REALLY REALLY REALLY love Opeth?

Vael Nir
2008-08-24, 08:07 AM
Hey, I recently obtained an Opeth album... and I really really like the sound. Going to be listening to that for a bit I think. :smallsmile:

I was going to argue a bit more with funkyhomosapien, but it appears he's banned... so no real point to it.

I don't even ask the question "what's metal" and "what isn't metal"... I ask myself "what sounds good to me"... if it happens to be metal, I'll go along with the "WOO! METAL!!! *horns*" thing, but otherwise I'm still listening to good music. So the genre discussion thing seems so incredibly pointless to me...

Dragor
2008-08-24, 09:08 AM
I'd like to say 'Metal is Metal' but it's just not true. There's so many things which can be identified as a certain type of metal now that you really do need classification. I don't care much for sub-genres of sub-genres though.

@ Growling- I used to hate it, now most of the metal I listen to involves it somehow. My favourite grolwer is definitely Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy, because she really adds that 'oomph' factor without totally losing the lyrics on you. I mean, she's the only growler I can understand (pretty much, anyway). I don't like it when people just dismiss growling on the instant they hear it.

For example, I was showing my friend some Epica. He liked it up till the point the lead guitarist started doing his growling. He goes "I hate this band now." Why!? Be more accepting, jeez! Argh, I don't know why it infuriates me so much, but I'd like people to accept growling as another medium, rather than simply a substitute for actual talent. Growling does require skill and effort, and often it can make or break a good metal band if it doesn't have that really good aforementioned 'oomph' factor (totally an inside term, that).

DeathKnight
2008-08-24, 09:23 AM
Well, just to change to topic for a moment, and to voice my possibly unwanted opinion.

BEST BANDS (IMO)

Disturbed
lamb of god
Heaven Shall Burn
KATAKLYSM
SOILWORK
bloodsimple
Killswitch Engage
KoRn (I know it's not metal but still one of my fav)
Mudvayne
Light This City (RIP)
just to name a few.

Disturbed -- Indestructible (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=41172168&searchid=8d9c5f75-27c4-4247-b442-d20e58202465) If you can watch this entire video and LISTEN to the song and still tell me you don't like it... just... stop...

Vael Nir
2008-08-24, 09:36 AM
New workout song found... thanks for sharing that, it's awesome. :smallsmile:

About the genre thing... I'm sure that it's necessary to have some way of classifying different types of metal, but some people just take it wayyyy too far, it's a minor pet peeve of mine. And as I said, it's pointless to me. I just like listening to music. :smallwink:

DeathKnight
2008-08-24, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=Vael Nir;4776348]New workout song found... thanks for sharing that, it's awesome. :smallsmile:[QUOTE]

haha, np. The rest of the album is filled with songs that just generate pure adrenaline without you even realizing it until the song ends. The only exception being Indise the Fire, that's just depressing, but then again it's kind of a happy depressing, if that makes any sense...

DemonicAngel
2008-08-24, 10:52 AM
But Inside The Fire has an epic tale behind it, so it really is ok. depressing, but it lets you take a breath of insanity from the mind of the poet. (anther Disturbed fan here (: )

DraPrime
2008-08-24, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=Vael Nir;4776348]The only exception being Indise the Fire, that's just depressing, but then again it's kind of a happy depressing, if that makes any sense...

I know of awesome depressing songs (fade to black being one) but happy depressing is something I've never heard.

Hoggy
2008-08-24, 12:40 PM
I really really really love Opeth and Agalloch and Insomnium and Enslaved and Emperor and Metallica and Porcupine Tree and that's why they're my favourite bands. My post before this one was actually about Agalloch though.

Happytime
2008-08-24, 01:37 PM

wat

Have you seriously listened to Opeth, or are you basing this whole assumption off of the Damnation disc?

DraPrime
2008-08-24, 04:49 PM
Has anyone heard the new Metallica song The Day That Never Comes? I've listened to it, and I mostly like it. It's got a sort of Loadish tone for the first half, and for the second half goes for a far more thrashy sound that reminds me of And Justice For All.

Vael Nir
2008-08-24, 06:54 PM
wat

Have you seriously listened to Opeth, or are you basing this whole assumption off of the Damnation disc?

He's banned, he can't reply...

I think he was trolling anyway, considering the comments he made about Equilibrium.

Whoracle
2008-08-24, 07:12 PM
Althoufh I think he wasn't that far off with his estimate of the new Equilibrium output, at least in my opinion... Their Demo still is the best thing they produced. It was superior in sound to Turis Fratyr, and Sagas is somehow... boring... And I'm still searching for the Track they used in their trailer. THAT was awesome...

But even so, I don't agree with that guys tone.

Lorn
2008-08-24, 07:37 PM
haha, np. The rest of the album is filled with songs that just generate pure adrenaline without you even realizing it until the song ends. The only exception being Indise the Fire, that's just depressing, but then again it's kind of a happy depressing, if that makes any sense...
Inside the Fire's one of the best songs for adrenalin rushes on there, I think. Can quite happily listen to the CD on an MP3 player (well, if the thing was working...) while walking, get the surge no matter what song I listen to really. Just a case of listening loud enough, singing along if there's nobody nearby (:smalltongue:), deep breaths etc.

Having said that, Indestructible IS probably the single most empowering song on there, I've decided that next Regia show I'm at people will probably just sort of.. find me, listening to it loudly, before the combat starts, just to get in the mood for it.

Criminal's pretty good for it as well.

For what it's worth, other bands I listen to include (but are not limited to):

Airbourne
Alestorm
Amon Amarth
Annihilator
Blitzkrieg
Bloodsimple
Chimaira
Dimmu Borgir
Disturbed
Some Dragonforce
Fall of Serenity
Gojira
Heaven shall Burn
In Flames
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Kamelot
Lamb of God
Metallica
Ministry
Motorhead
Nightwish
Rammstein
Satyricon
Sentenced
Slipknot
SOiL
Stone Sour
Thunderstone
Turisas
(Old) Trivium
And so on.

Hoggy
2008-08-25, 02:58 AM
Has anyone heard the new Metallica song The Day That Never Comes? I've listened to it, and I mostly like it. It's got a sort of Loadish tone for the first half, and for the second half goes for a far more thrashy sound that reminds me of And Justice For All.

Listening to the new Metallica song (The Day That Never Comes, streaming off their website). I like it. Sounds quite Load-ish to me, which I class as no bad thing, because I quite liked that album. Just got into a bit more thrashier-bit at 4ish mins.

YOU STOLE MAH THOUGHTS :smalltongue:

Klose_the_Sith
2008-08-25, 04:55 AM

It struck me as pretty good, I'm not much of a Metallica fan but I'll probably pick up Death Magnetic to see what the rest is like

DraPrime
2008-08-25, 06:26 AM
YOU STOLE MAH THOUGHTS :smalltongue:

Oops, didn't see your post there. But I didn't steal your thoughts Hoggy! I swear!

Vael Nir
2008-08-25, 06:37 AM
Althoufh I think he wasn't that far off with his estimate of the new Equilibrium output, at least in my opinion... Their Demo still is the best thing they produced. It was superior in sound to Turis Fratyr, and Sagas is somehow... boring... And I'm still searching for the Track they used in their trailer. THAT was awesome...

But even so, I don't agree with that guys tone.

Yeah, but calling the entire album a rip-off of Trollhammaren? I don't really like Sagas as much as Turis Fratyr, and I don't know the demo, but that comment just made me die a bit inside...

What trailer?

Whoracle
2008-08-25, 07:48 AM
This Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMe0vxVPuZc)

And yeah, it ain't a rip-off of Trollhammaren. The two bands are completely different in sound and belong to different subgenres altogether, which is in this case justified IMHO.

But good Sagas ain't, nontheless ^^

And the Demo was basically Turis Fratyr minus 3 songs, with different production and some lyrics changed.

Jayngfet
2008-08-25, 01:50 PM
Ok, alestorm VS shadow warrior, who wins?

Narmoth
2008-08-25, 02:29 PM
For those who like opeth, I can suggest the following:

Arcturus
Dark Tranquillity
Tool

Lorn
2008-08-25, 03:05 PM
^ Tool are good. Very, very, very good. Watch the videos.

Also, I think that the travesty of my year up until now as far as gigs go is soon to be reversed.

So far in 2008: One gig. Blitzkrieg in Newcastle. Well worth it.

Upcoming:

8th Oct - Dragonforce, supported by Turisas.
7th November - Motorhead, supported by Saxon.
17th November - Airbourne, supported by... um... someone. I forgot who :smallredface:
5th December - Hawkwind, supported by someone.
6th December - Black Stone Cherry, supported by someone.
11th December - Slipknot, supported by Machine Head and Children of Bodom.

So, in just over two months, that's about 13 bands I should be seeing.

Hello, empty bank account...

Hoggy
2008-08-25, 06:11 PM
Arcturus - Like. Dark Tranquility - Like. Tool - Love.

Will prob be seeing Slipknot/Machine Head (YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH)/Children of Bodom on the 12th. Last shwo of the tour so should be good.

DraPrime
2008-08-25, 07:22 PM
I get to see Metallica/Machine Head, but that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off in Januaray. Gotta find another band to see until then. Perhaps Iced Earth.

Arlion
2008-08-25, 07:37 PM
The day that never comes is an awsome song,reminds me of fade to black,but with a little of Load

Destichado
2008-08-25, 08:25 PM
To touch on to what Dragor said about growling; not so long ago, we used to look at anything that growled and immediately lump it into death metal, but you really can't do that any more. ...At all. I mean, with some bands, where they sit is up in the air anyway, but something like Amorphis? It just doesn't fit.

I really appreciate the way Battlelore (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRJJD0mprCs&feature=related) uses it in their latest album. The soprano and the... growler... sing the parts of different "voices" or characters, and often it's almost a call-and-answer between the two of them.

Also, have any of you checked out Orphaned Land (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u-nB_C_kEs)?

DraPrime
2008-08-25, 08:36 PM
Orphaned Land looks interesting. Instruments are too monotonous for my taste. But I could get into this band.

And now for a question that will apply to ALL of you. How did you get into heavy metal?

zeratul
2008-08-25, 10:08 PM
To answer you dragon, first I got into blind guardian, I believe that was you're doing dragon, I loved them since I heard them. Then a dude was introduced to me by one of my friends (this dude is now a good friend of mine, and presumably my band's lead guitarist), and he got me into children of bodom and korpiklaani. From there I developed a passion for the music and got into way way more. B-man and Dragonprime have gotten me into or helped me get into a fair amount of stuff

Hoggy
2008-08-26, 03:34 AM
Bel Sagoth also use growling well. Kinda like what Destiacho said about Battlelore, but with only one vocalist (I think). Good stuff.

I got into metal at the age of 12 by my cousin playing to me St. Anger (the song) and Fear Of The Dark (live at Rock in Rio). Then was taken to see Lostprophets (they were metal once, and good too!) and Rival Schools (more grunge rock) at Glastonbury. Was hooked.

Destichado
2008-08-26, 05:17 AM
Ooo... I guess I got into metal with Megadeth. It was "Trust (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61VSkYLragA&feature=related)" that did it, back when it first came out on the radio. And from there I very quickly got into Metalica -on cassette! :smallbiggrin: (again, this was before they turned into Alternica)

But that, and whatever else found its way onto the radio, was the extent of "metal" to me until the internet and the advent of Napster. Thanks to napster, and later Kazaa and whatever the hell else we used back in the dark ages, I started finding more bands with the same tags. Searching for more Iron Maiden took me to Manowar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs5XTQYy7r4), that took me to Rhapsody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwiAATdgvbc), that to Blind Guardian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AfNOKQdY-U) and Symphony X (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFqPr6yB6zU), and by then we had Wikipedia and I could figure out the boundaries of the genre and just "search related." :smallwink:

Pauwel
2008-08-26, 10:11 AM
A band that isn't well-known but still extremely awesome is the Danish melo-death/progressive/power-but-without-the-fantasy-themes band (how's that for subgenre?), Mercenary.

Please give it a listen. It needs more love.

DraPrime
2008-08-26, 02:30 PM
To answer my own question, I got into metal through the song Born in a Mourning Hall by Blind Guardian. I had this friend who was always listening to metal, and was always trying to get me to listen to it. He played Born in a Mourning Hall a few times, and I got addicted to it. Shortly after that he gave me a bazillion heavy metal songs to listen to, and now here I am discussing that even.

zeratul
2008-08-26, 02:37 PM
Oh and by the way, after listening to more of their songs I take back what I said about alestorm. They share some similarities with Turisas, but are not a ripoff of them. They're pretty awesome, and kind of hilarious at the same time.

DraPrime
2008-08-26, 02:39 PM
I don't think you could make heavy metal about pirates without being funny.

Hoggy
2008-08-27, 10:02 AM
Well, how odd.

I'm listening to the 2nd new Metallica track (My Apocalypse). It sounds...

...like Slayer.

NeonBlack
2008-08-27, 12:19 PM
Well, how odd.

I'm listening to the 2nd new Metallica track (My Apocalypse). It sounds...

...like Slayer.

Old Slayer, or New (post Divine Intervention) Slayer? Because depending on the answer, that comparison could mean "like good old-fashioned lover boy speedy thrash metal" or "like noise" :smalltongue:.

Oh, and I'll second Pauwel's recomendation of Mercenary. They're awesome. Also, Opeth coming to town in December, gonna see them for the third time, let's hope they play Hessian Peel live, happy happy joy joy.

Shogun
2008-08-27, 12:30 PM
Love the metal. Was weened on Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth.. added Pantera and nixed Metallica circa "Load". Moved on to Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, Gorguts, etc..

while there are a few crappier Slayer albums, I have to say, the last one kicks three shades of tail.

I mean, I am still trying to figure out which is the greatest American musical legend between Willie Nelson and Stevie Wonder but I do love me some metal.

zeratul
2008-08-27, 12:59 PM
Anyone here listened to Maylene and the Sons of Disaster before? They're a pretty solid southern metal band, I'm really into them.

DraPrime
2008-08-27, 02:44 PM
I'm disappointed with the song My Apocalypse. It had potential, but it's really boring.

Narmoth
2008-08-30, 09:41 AM
The samples for the new Iced Earth album posted on their myspace sound promising. Check them out!

Thurbane
2008-08-30, 08:52 PM
Just picked up the two most recent Disturbed CDs yesterday and I like them a lot.

I'm not a huge fan of "nu-metal", but Disturbed are great...

DraPrime
2008-08-30, 09:00 PM
The samples for the new Iced Earth album posted on their myspace sound promising. Check them out!

I listened to them. Barlowe is fantastic as always, but the samples seem to be kind of average. I think that this album might be a bit of a disappointment.

zeratul
2008-08-30, 09:37 PM
So I heard "the day that never comes" by metallica on the radio today, I really like it, it's cool and mellow, very unforgivenesque.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-08-31, 03:18 AM
Metal on the radio...tsk tsk. Every one knows "metal" that gets played on the radio is actually poseur garbage that should be killed with fire :smallbiggrin:

You wanna know who was an awesome band that never got radio play back in the day? Metallica!

Come to think of it, why can Metallica get radio play but Iced Earth cannot? Some of their music is rather similar.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-08-31, 07:10 AM
I'm in a good metal mood, I just discovered a Metallica sale and got the Black Album for about a third of its regular price.

DraPrime
2008-08-31, 07:15 AM
Metal on the radio...tsk tsk. Every one knows "metal" that gets played on the radio is actually poseur garbage that should be killed with fire :smallbiggrin:

You wanna know who was an awesome band that never got radio play back in the day? Metallica!

Come to think of it, why can Metallica get radio play but Iced Earth cannot? Some of their music is rather similar.

Because Iced Earth never made a mainstream album that gave them massive success. And besides, quite a few great metal bands don't get enough radio play. Over here in the US there is almost no Iron Maiden on the radio. It's like they don't exist.

zeratul
2008-08-31, 11:25 AM
I've heard Iron Miaden, Judas Preists, Motorhead, Dio, Black Sabbath, Ozzy and such on one classic rock station around here. That's really the only place for 80s metal though aside from K-rock, which sometimes has it.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-09-01, 12:14 AM
One of the radio channels in my neck of the woods does a show called "the twelve noon hairball", which opens up with that immortal Patton Oswald quote regarding those who liked metal in the 80s (referring to hair metal).

Some guy asked for "run to the hills", and they played it. Totally made my day. However, I'm willing to guess that any request more underground that Maiden would not be met.

Great story about metal on the radio -- two years ago, on June sixth 2006 (i.e. 6/6/06), my clock-radio went off in the morning to wake me up for work at around 7am. This station was basically 90s alt rock/80s pop, though I mainly listened to it for the morning show. Somehow, at the exact second that radio came on, "number of the beast" began to play (to commemorate 6/6/06)...what a way to start the day! I really didn't expect that particular station to be playing that song either.

DraPrime
2008-09-01, 11:59 AM
I've heard Iron Miaden, Judas Preists, Motorhead, Dio, Black Sabbath, Ozzy and such on one classic rock station around here. That's really the only place for 80s metal though aside from K-rock, which sometimes has it.

It's a shame we can't find some metal that isn't from the 80s on the radio. I would love to turn on the radio some new (not nu) metal.

Ceska
2008-09-02, 05:52 AM
If I remember correctly one of the radios here has a metal show once a week for an hour, which is the only time I've heard metal on the radio. It's a horrible abomination of nu, melodeath, a little bit trash and classic metal and far too much metalcore stuffed into one hour. Urgh, I'll stay with listening to albums and the occasional last.fm hit and miss game.

Iced Earth would easily fit on a station playing Heavy Metal, but sadly the only ones I could think of are internet radio, and I got my own collection there.

DraPrime
2008-09-02, 07:19 AM
Iced Earth would easily fit on a station playing Heavy Metal, but sadly the only ones I could think of are internet radio, and I got my own collection there.

The issue being that there aren't many stations like that.

Hoggy
2008-09-02, 10:29 AM
Third Metallica track off their new album - Cyanide. I'm liking it more than My Apocalypse, it's sounding quite Black-Album-ish, with the chorus structured mroe like AJFA, but there's some other influence in there I'm hearing and the name doesn't quite spring to mind. Hmmm. Will get back to this.

Blackfang108
2008-09-02, 10:36 AM
Yeah, Iced Earth, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Iron Savior, Sonata Arctica, etc. should all receive radio play.

I'd actually listen to FM radio again if that happened.

On the other Hand, I have a warm fuzzy glow deep down, as Sonata Arctica and Nightwish are playing this weekend at the House of Blues.

This'll be my second time seeing each band.

But Helloween/Gamma Ray at the end of the month will be even more aewsome!

Elidyr
2008-09-02, 10:37 AM
I listened to them. Barlowe is fantastic as always, but the samples seem to be kind of average. I think that this album might be a bit of a disappointment.

The Crucible of Man is actually one of their better albums. But then again, I'm a bit of an Iced Earth fanboy, so my opinion may not be valid.

DraPrime
2008-09-02, 10:56 AM
The Crucible of Man is actually one of their better albums. But then again, I'm a bit of an Iced Earth fanboy, so my opinion may not be valid.

For me Something Wicked This Way Comes will always be the greatest album by Iced Earth. But I'm willing to withhold judgment on this album until Sept 9.

musicfreak313
2008-09-02, 02:23 PM
Damage is an awesome metal rock band. Check their album "Truth and Consequence" out.

Whoracle
2008-09-02, 02:57 PM
Thank <insert deity of choice here>. Iced Earth have Matthew Barlow back.
I couldn't stand the ripper violating all those great songs.

From what I heard of the new Iced Earth output (promo, that is, with crappy soundeffects busted over it, but who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth...), it's solid. Some tracks are really good, most are simply well done, but nothing compared to Something Wicked...
But definately a step towards quality of days long past.

DemonicAngel
2008-09-02, 03:34 PM
if anyone could recommend me of good bands, prefferredably with none to some growling, fashioned like old metallica songs or Iron maiden... that would be really nice. haven't got me some good metal in days (expect for Hebrew metal. living in Israel has its good sides)

DraPrime
2008-09-02, 03:41 PM
if anyone could recommend me of good bands, prefferredably with none to some growling, fashioned like old metallica songs or Iron maiden... that would be really nice. haven't got me some good metal in days (expect for Hebrew metal. living in Israel has its good sides)

Well there's Iced Earth that's been mentioned a lot on this page.

Thank <insert deity of choice here>. Iced Earth have Matthew Barlow back.
I couldn't stand the ripper violating all those great songs.

Hold on, Owens is a good singer. Ok, he isn't Matt Barlow, but Matt Barlow is Matt Barlow. Expecting Iced Earth to find a good replacement for him without stealing Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden is like expecting a 3 year old to viciously slaughter a lion with nothing but his fists.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-09-03, 01:10 AM

How about:

<Iron Maiden-y>
Slough Feg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewx1iUGxc8o)
Mercyful Fate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAuZFwNmVN8)
3 Inches of Blood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dadZNZXN3K8)

<Metallica-y>
Coroner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkgpec9tFk8)
Exumer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpA_jcus5CU)
Celtic Frost (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kPTOtVZO20)
Kreator (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AalefPKCiEE)

I aplogize if you are already familiar with these bands. If you are, give me a list of the metal you know about, and I'll try to find some stuff not on it.

Whoracle
2008-09-03, 04:51 AM
Hold on, Owens is a good singer. Ok, he isn't Matt Barlow, but Matt Barlow is Matt Barlow. Expecting Iced Earth to find a good replacement for him without stealing Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden is like expecting a 3 year old to viciously slaughter a lion with nothing but his fists.

I never said he was. But he butchered Iced Earth. His voice just doesn't fit. It's too waily. Neither would Dickinsons, imho.

Dragor
2008-09-03, 06:23 AM
Anyone watched the new Trivium video?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=42051655

Let me state loud and clear that I hated the Crusade (it was utter drab) and that I'm not a Trivium fanboy. :smalltongue: This song seems to portray a return to form, and I like the fact there's now a sort of mix between the screaming and the actual singing, rather than having one or the other.

Here's hoping Shogun isn't as bad as The Crusade....

Narmoth
2008-09-03, 08:29 AM
can't say I'm impressed. Then again, I've never cared much for the new us metal style that evolved from Gothenburg-metal

Arlion
2008-09-03, 11:14 AM
i got into metal when my cousin played "Seek and Destroy" on guitar.it was awsome

zeratul
2008-09-06, 01:23 PM
So I know there's a lot of power metal lovers here. Any other big fans of Hammerfall? I think I recall seeing a few but can't remember. They're just so awesome and epic, with just the right amount of cheese, so that they're not overly cheesy just really awesome. I think "Carved In Stone", or "Blood Bound" would be my favorite song of theirs.

DraPrime
2008-09-06, 01:57 PM
I actually haven't listened to Hammerfall, despite the fact that I'm in love with power metal. It's kind of strange. I'd try to listen to them now but I'm at a place with dialup internet, so it'll take eternity for a single song to load.

Whoracle
2008-09-06, 02:16 PM
Hammerfall were good up to and including their second album. Afterwards, they got too repetetive for my taste.

Interesting side fact: The original Line-Up consisted almost entirely of former Melodic Death Metal artists, and HF was initially a side project of Jesper Strömblad of in Flames fame ^^ When I found that out, I nearly collapsed with laughter.

Still, they're good listening.

Narmoth
2008-09-06, 02:50 PM
Hammerfall had a lot of members that played in other Goethenburg melodic death metal bands:

Mikael Stanne: guitarist, then singer in Dark Tranquillity, session singer for In Flames long ago - was the singer of Hammerfall before they got the record deal.

Jesper Stromblad: the founder and guitar player of In Flames - was in Oscar Dronjacs previous band and was first member, playing drums. Composed songs on 1st, 2nd and 3rd album.

Niklas Sundin - founding member and guitar player of Dark Tranquillity
Johan Larsson - founding member and bass player of In Flames
Glenn Ljungström - guitars in In Flames

SurlySeraph
2008-09-06, 04:53 PM
Anyone watched the new Trivium video?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=42051655

Let me state loud and clear that I hated the Crusade (it was utter drab) and that I'm not a Trivium fanboy. :smalltongue: This song seems to portray a return to form, and I like the fact there's now a sort of mix between the screaming and the actual singing, rather than having one or the other.

Here's hoping Shogun isn't as bad as The Crusade....

Me, I liked The Crusade a lot. I didn't much care for Down From The Sky; it's not bad, but it's not above average for them.

In other news, I've been getting into Sepultura recently. I don't like most death metal, but their songs are... well... catchy, for lack of a better word. I've been listening to "Refuse/Resist" and "Nomad" on loop a lot.

Dragor
2008-09-06, 11:59 PM
Me, I liked The Crusade a lot. I didn't much care for Down From The Sky; it's not bad, but it's not above average for them.

In other news, I've been getting into Sepultura recently. I don't like most death metal, but their songs are... well... catchy, for lack of a better word. I've been listening to "Refuse/Resist" and "Nomad" on loop a lot.

What did you like about it? Not intending to be scathing, it'd just be interesting to hear another opinion. I don't vehemently dislike it as much as it may have come across in my post, I just hold it in lower regard to Ember to Inferno and Ascendancy. (I don't know why I stated that I hated it in my previous post. Maybe I was angry at the time. I blame hormones :smalltongue:)

The Crusade was a lot more... tame, for me. It seemed to lack energy (except for some songs, like Tread the Floods and To The Rats) and spirit. Just seemed a bit unimaginative- only the two previously mentioned songs got me in the mood to jump around and air guitar- as you do.

I'm not ecstatic over Down From The Sky, but it's definitely more of my thing.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-09-07, 02:08 AM

Make sure you get "Arise" and "Beneath the Remains" too...great stuff.

DraPrime
2008-09-07, 03:43 PM
So I discovered 2 great side projects recently. I'm surprised I didn't find them earlier.

The first is Savage Circus. Those of you that are Blind Guardian fans may recall that the drummer (don't remember his name) left before the recording of Twist in the Myth. Well he went off and for one album he made the band Savage Circus. They released the album Dreamland Manor. It is FANTASTIC. The singer does sound very similar to Hansi Kursch, which is kind of weird, but he's good. It sounds like early nineties Blind Guardian.

The other thing is Beyond Fear, a side project done by Tim Owens (the ex-singer of Judas Priest and Iced Earth). Beyond Fear released one self titled album, and it's fantastic. Very good singing from Owens. It's old school speed/thrash metal, and it's quite excellent. I hope Owens continues this side project.

Is it just me or do side projects create some of the best metal out there?

Whoracle
2008-09-07, 05:04 PM
Well, Savage Circus isn't so much a side project as it was Thomen Stauchs (the Ex-BG-drummer) follow-up band. But they're great, nontheless. The whole album is constantly in my playlists and with some luck I'm going to see them in November.

Sadly, Thomen left SC too...

DraPrime
2008-09-07, 06:33 PM
What's Thomen doing now? I haven't heard much about him since Savage Circus, but I'd like to since he's a damn good drummer.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-09-08, 01:56 AM
Is anyone here a fan of Virgin Steele? I just listened to "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell pt 1" today, and was very, very impressed.

Narmoth
2008-09-08, 03:43 AM
Sadly, Thomen left SC too...

Nope, he was fired as he was often to ill to tour with his band.

What's Thomen doing now? I haven't heard much about him since Savage Circus, but I'd like to since he's a damn good drummer.

He announced a new band, but I haven't heard any news about them for a long time now.

Hairb
2008-09-08, 04:16 AM
Any fans of Sunn o)), Boris and the like? I've always thought Black One would make for great D&D mood music, although I've yet to try it.

DraPrime
2008-09-08, 02:46 PM
Is anyone here a fan of Virgin Steele? I just listened to "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell pt 1" today, and was very, very impressed.

I've only listened to one of their songs. It was Kingdom of the Fearless. I liked it, and I should probably get around to listening to more music by them.

DemonicAngel
2008-09-08, 02:48 PM
started listening to Iced Earth... there very nice, I like the Dark Saga and Horror Show (especially wolf) the most... the something Wicked Saga is also fun to hear in sequence. (and yes, 2 hours and 11 minutes.)

DraPrime
2008-09-08, 04:23 PM
I just heard The Judas Kiss and All Nightmare Long (from Death Magnetic). I think the only proper term with which to describe these songs is "metalgasmic"

zeratul
2008-09-08, 05:35 PM
Man so I've been into them sort of at least for a while now, but lately I've been getting really really into Sentenced. I love the awesome morbidity in all their lyrics, and their singers voice is amazing. Mixed with great riffs, they're a really solid band.

Whoracle
2008-09-08, 06:17 PM
If you're into Sentenced, try Poison Black. It's the follow-up to the now defunct Sentenced, and, while a wee bit different, I find they convey the same kind of Emotion for me.

Arlion
2008-09-08, 08:44 PM
Death Magnetic Rocks,i Heard All nightmare long,the judas kiss,the unforgiven 3,The Day that never comes and my apocalypse and they are awsome.Metallica isnt back,metallica never left (Load,Reload were good).

Im so buying this CD

zeratul
2008-09-08, 09:21 PM
If you're into Sentenced, try Poison Black. It's the follow-up to the now defunct Sentenced, and, while a wee bit different, I find they convey the same kind of Emotion for me.

Oh I love poisonblack, I'm planning on getting "A Dead Heavy Day" once it comes out here. They're different in a lot of ways but it is as you said a symilar emotion.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-09-09, 12:07 AM
Death Magnetic Rocks,i Heard All nightmare long,the judas kiss,the unforgiven 3,The Day that never comes and my apocalypse and they are awsome.Metallica isnt back,metallica never left (Load,Reload were good).

Im so buying this CD

Do you have links to the songs? I really would like to believe that they are good songs, but I am more of the classic "extremely disgruntled old-metallica fan", so its going to take some convincing.

Hoggy
2008-09-09, 04:03 AM
The Day That Never Comes/My Apocalyspe/Cyanide are available for streaming from Metallica.com/youtube.

Narmoth
2008-09-09, 05:37 AM
started listening to Iced Earth... there very nice, I like the Dark Saga and Horror Show (especially wolf) the most... the something Wicked Saga is also fun to hear in sequence. (and yes, 2 hours and 11 minutes.)

You really should check out Burn Offerings then. In my oppinion, it's their best album

SuperMuldoon
2008-09-09, 08:35 AM
Any fans of Sunn o)), Boris and the like? I've always thought Black One would make for great D&D mood music, although I've yet to try it.

I listen to these guys when the mood strikes me. Black One I think would make good D&D music also because it's got a good ambience and it can fade into the background and not make it hard to listen to what's going on. Also it's pretty dark :smallamused:

DraPrime
2008-09-09, 02:24 PM
You really should check out Burn Offerings then. In my oppinion, it's their best album

Check out Something Wicked This Way Comes. That's my favorite album.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-10, 05:40 PM
What did you like about it? Not intending to be scathing, it'd just be interesting to hear another opinion. I don't vehemently dislike it as much as it may have come across in my post, I just hold it in lower regard to Ember to Inferno and Ascendancy. (I don't know why I stated that I hated it in my previous post. Maybe I was angry at the time. I blame hormones :smalltongue:)

The Crusade was a lot more... tame, for me. It seemed to lack energy (except for some songs, like Tread the Floods and To The Rats) and spirit. Just seemed a bit unimaginative- only the two previously mentioned songs got me in the mood to jump around and air guitar- as you do.

I'm not ecstatic over Down From The Sky, but it's definitely more of my thing.

The Crusade seemed a lot more inspiring than their previous albums, and I like inspiring. "The Rising" and "Anthem (We Are the Fire)" are the best examples of what I mean. It's softer, yeah, but it's so damn uplifting that it doesn't matter. It reminds me of Killswitch Engage in a way.

Make sure you get "Arise" and "Beneath the Remains" too...great stuff.

I love "Arise." "Beneath the Remains" is good, but not amazing.

DraPrime
2008-09-11, 05:12 PM
So I heard the new Iced Earth album, and I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed. Barlow sang well, as expected, but he never really got any good choruses to sing. There's only one riff I really enjoyed, and that's the one from Crucify the King. In fact, Crucify the King is my favorite song because it has pretty much the only truly good chorus and riff. The rest of the songs just seemed very similar to each other, and very few of them stuck out. Sadly, I think this is Iced Earth's weakest album.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-09-12, 12:09 AM
Is anybody familiar with this band: http://www.myspace.com/witchofficial

I've been listening to nothing but Kreator, Witch and Virgin Steele for the past couple of days.

Metal Head
2008-09-12, 06:46 PM
So I got a question for you all. Which of the "big four" thrash metal bands (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax) do you think is the best? Me and my cousin had an argument about this, so I'm wondering what you all think. And you can guess what I think by looking at my avatar.

Powerslave44
2008-09-12, 06:52 PM
Megadeth, no question.

DraPrime
2008-09-12, 06:54 PM
So I got a question for you all. Which of the "big four" thrash metal bands (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax) do you think is the best? Me and dragonprimehad an argument about this, so I'm wondering what you all think. And you can guess what I think by looking at my avatar.

Just so that it's clear. Anyway, you know my standpoint on this. Metallica!

SurlySeraph
2008-09-12, 07:14 PM
So I got a question for you all. Which of the "big four" thrash metal bands (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax) do you think is the best? Me and my cousin had an argument about this, so I'm wondering what you all think. And you can guess what I think by looking at my avatar.

I go for Metallica. I don't know nearly as many Megadeth and Anthrax songs as Metallica and Slayer songs though, so I might change my mind if I had more exposure to them. I didn't really like Anthrax's vocals, and I didn't really find many Megadeth songs that compelling - though, as I said, I haven't heard many of their songs. Slayer's definitely good, but they don't have as much variety as Metallica. Also, due to my religion, I have issues with the lyrics of a lot of Slayer songs. I'll never deny that Raining Blood is one of the greatest musical achievements ever, though.

DraPrime
2008-09-12, 07:16 PM
I go for Metallica. I don't know nearly as many Megadeth and Anthrax songs as Metallica and Slayer songs though, so I might change my mind if I had more exposure to them. I didn't really like Anthrax's vocals, and I didn't really find many Megadeth songs that compelling - though, as I said, I haven't heard many of their songs. Slayer's definitely good, but they don't have as much variety as Metallica. Also, due to my religion, I have issues with the lyrics of a lot of Slayer songs. I'll never deny that Raining Blood is one of the greatest musical achievements ever, though.

Anthrax has had so many singers it's kind of hard to criticize them for having bad vocals since there's probably at least one that appeals to you.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-09-13, 01:01 AM
I think that from a technical standpoint, Megadeth is superior. However, as much as I love Metallica's first four albums, I gotta go with Slayer on this one -- at least their 80s work. I'm not a huge fan of their recent stuff. Though a few tracks off of "god hates us all" were not bad.

Ceska
2008-09-13, 04:24 AM
Slayer is both the one I dislike the least and the one I have heard the most of by my free will. But generally I dislike how thrash uses meh-ish clean vocals to a rather heavy sub-genre. Totally unfitting to me. Thus the first thrash band that really appeals to me is Bathory.

Lord of the Helms
2008-09-13, 05:42 AM
Hammerfall had a lot of members that played in other Goethenburg melodic death metal bands:

Mikael Stanne: guitarist, then singer in Dark Tranquillity, session singer for In Flames long ago - was the singer of Hammerfall before they got the record deal.

Jesper Stromblad: the founder and guitar player of In Flames - was in Oscar Dronjacs previous band and was first member, playing drums. Composed songs on 1st, 2nd and 3rd album.

Niklas Sundin - founding member and guitar player of Dark Tranquillity
Johan Larsson - founding member and bass player of In Flames
Glenn Ljungström - guitars in In Flames

Pretty much the entire founding lineup of Hammerfall had a Gothenburg Melodeath background. Some had come from Ceremonial Oath, one of the better early melodeath bands that disbanded; All were in In Flames in the beginning and some in Dark Tranquillity later, with the exception of Oscar who was in Crystal Age, a very obscure Death Metal band. The one album the put out is great, by the way. It's more traditional death metal than melodeath, with wonderful lead guitars, and very vicious. Sadly, also very hard to find: I searched for it on ebay for the better part of a year.

He's doing a couple of projects now. One is called "Coldseed" but I don't know how far that one has come, another one that is announced but has yet to be made is him teaming up with Virgin Steele frontman David Defeis, which considering the pure win and gold that Defeis puts out almost every time he writes music or comes close to a piano or microphone can only be masssively awesome. And the best thing that I caught on the Blind Guardian forum when Thomen responded to a couple of our comments is that he has taken the biggest criticisms about Savage Circus, that it sound too much (rather, exactly) like an inferior copy of early Blind Guardian, to heart and intends to avoid that sort of thing next time.

As might be deduced from above, I am a huge fan, have been for many years (got into them in early 2005, coincidentally also with the superb Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part One), had the pleasure of seeing them live three years ago, and consider them one of the top three or so greatest bands of all time. I am especially fond of what they did from Marriage Part One onwards, particularly the mind-blowingly epic two-album, three-CD, 165 Mintue long "House of Atreus" saga. Their 80s work can be hit and miss at times (there be co- err, rooster rock here, beware), and they did do one album called "Life Among the Ruins" which I think can be safely avoided, but all in all they have one of the very best discographies out there.

So I got a question for you all. Which of the "big four" thrash metal bands (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax) do you think is the best? Me and my cousin had an argument about this, so I'm wondering what you all think. And you can guess what I think by looking at my avatar.#

Megadeth. No question. Strongest musicians, strongest songwriting by far (sorry, but none of the others even comes close to any of the first four Megadeth albums, and in their later days they at least were mostly a lot less terrible than the other three, Risk notwithstanding), and Dave Mustaine was, if not a talented, at least a charismatic and distinctive vocalist, certainly much better than the dull lameness of Tom Araya and James Hetfield and the competent but generic singers Anthrax had other than John Bush (who had the misfortune of performing on rather terrible albums, sadly).

Live... I've not seen Metallica and don't intend to. Megadeth wins again, Anthrax was strong too, and Slayer holds the dubious title of the worst live band I've ever seen whose name I remember.

DraPrime
2008-09-13, 06:36 AM
He's doing a couple of projects now. One is called "Coldseed" but I don't know how far that one has come, another one that is announced but has yet to be made is him teaming up with Virgin Steele frontman David Defeis, which considering the pure win and gold that Defeis puts out almost every time he writes music or comes close to a piano or microphone can only be masssively awesome. And the best thing that I caught on the Blind Guardian forum when Thomen responded to a couple of our comments is that he has taken the biggest criticisms about Savage Circus, that it sound too much (rather, exactly) like an inferior copy of early Blind Guardian, to heart and intends to avoid that sort of thing next time.

Thomen teaming up with David Defeis? Oh god that's going to be fantastic.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2008-09-13, 02:15 PM

Hmmm, I wouldn't have classified Anthrax, old singer or new, as thrash. Especially not when compaired to Slayer, Megadeth and Metallica. Their "new" singer made the band a more surfer/grunge mix.

Anwyay, I'm going to say I love Megadeth and Slayer equally, and hate Metallica.

zeratul
2008-09-13, 02:33 PM
I'd say fr Me it would be hard to decide between Metallica and Megadeth, i love both, and I basically think they're equally good or at least were, nowadays in terms of music they make now I think Megadeth is better.

Slayers good, but I'm not a huge huge fan of theirs.

DraPrime
2008-09-13, 06:09 PM
I'd say fr Me it would be hard to decide between Metallica and Megadeth, i love both, and I basically think they're equally good or at least were, nowadays in terms of music they make now I think Megadeth is better.

Slayers good, but I'm not a huge huge fan of theirs.

You sound like a man who hasn't heard Death Magnetic.

lordofthe_wog
2008-09-13, 07:58 PM
Older Metallica is nothing short of God's last gift. They got somewhat worse as the band progressed, St. Anger was terrible, and I haven't heard Death Magnetic yet. I don't really like Anthrax, but Slayer and Megadeth beat new Metallica. However, my vote is still on James Hetfield and his merry band of adventurers.

Raistlin1040
2008-09-13, 08:00 PM
Death Magnetic is pretty good. I'd put it on par with the Black Album, which isn't my favorite, but is still great.

Powerslave44
2008-09-14, 12:02 AM
United Abominations > Death Magnetic

Gaelbert
2008-09-14, 12:07 AM
I haven't heard any of Anthrax, something I plan to remedy soon. Slayer is okay, but they really haven't impressed me that much. I really enjoy Megadeth, but there's something about the vocals that make listening to their music less... enjoyable. Metallica is probably my favorite, but the problem with them is that for most songs, I either like the intro, or the main riff, or something else, but not all of it. As you can probably tell, I'm not a huge thrash metal fan, but not through a lack of trying.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-09-14, 02:06 AM
Their 80s work can be hit and miss at times (there be co- err, rooster rock here, beware), and they did do one album called "Life Among the Ruins" which I think can be safely avoided, but all in all they have one of the very best discographies out there.

Its kinda weird that Virgin Steele followed the opposite of most 80s metal bands -- they started out all right and then got much, much better.

@coolgaelbert -- I'm sure you are familiar with American thrash, are you familiar with the awesomeness of German thrash?

Exumer -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygtvdAxidBY
Kreator -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AalefPKCiEE
Destruction -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0czCh32nAY0
Sodom -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RClo_EEjdjA

DraPrime
2008-09-14, 12:39 PM
United Abominations > Death Magnetic

UN is good, not only musically but I enjoyed it politically (but let's avoid that discussion). Still, I preferred DM because many of the songs have much better a much better chorus than anything on UA.

Dragor
2008-09-14, 03:05 PM
Just downloaded all of Coal Chamber's albums off iTunes.

Really quite good. Creeps me out slightly in that good sort of way, and always possesses the right rhythm for head banging. I'm usually not that much of a nu metal fan, but I decided to check CC out because I'm a fan of Devildriver, and I can't say I've been disappointed. I'd say check it out if you're partial to this sort of thing.

Or am I just late to the party? :smalltongue:

Arlion
2008-09-14, 03:47 PM
Metallica so much better than megadeth

listen,you can critique metallica change in style if you wish,but at least they evolve,they dont stay doing the same thing always.Other bands just stay doing the same things over and over.
Load and Reload were experimentation,and are really good album,not trash metal album,but really good albums.I havent really heard st anger so i cant opine on that one.And Death Magnetic Ruless

zeratul
2008-09-14, 03:59 PM
You sound like a man who hasn't heard Death Magnetic.

I like death magnetic, it's good stuff and shows that metallica still has it. However I'd say that Megadeth has been more reliably good. While at the same time having songs very different from each other (try comparing peace sells but who's buying? to foreclosure of a dream)

That said I'd say the two bands are still about evenly good.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-14, 08:02 PM
Metallica so much better than megadeth

listen,you can critique metallica change in style if you wish,but at least they evolve,they dont stay doing the same thing always.Other bands just stay doing the same things over and over.
Load and Reload were experimentation,and are really good album,not trash metal album,but really good albums.I havent really heard st anger so i cant opine on that one.And Death Magnetic Ruless

Keep it that way. St. Anger is why so many people say that Metallica has lost its way. "Frantic", "The Unnamed Feeling", and "Some Kind of Monster" are decent songs. In my opinion, every other song on St. Anger is pretty much intolerable.

I really like Death Magnetic a lot, especially "All Nightmare Long." It's like "Seek and Destroy" but even more awesome. I found "Unforgiven III" kinda disappointing, since it sounds very little like "Unforgiven" and "Unforgiven II" (which I love), but it's not bad.

Arlion
2008-09-15, 11:38 AM
I think what makes the continuity in te unforgiven trilogy are the lyrics,and no the music:smalltongue:

DraPrime
2008-09-15, 01:47 PM
I think what makes the continuity in te unforgiven trilogy are the lyrics,and no the music:smalltongue:

Well I and II were similar musically so people were expecting the same kind of continuity. Also,posting from an iphone is tedious :smallannoyed:

Metal Head
2008-09-18, 07:07 PM
WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I got tickets to a Metallica concert with Machine Head and The Sword opening! My joy can't be contained!

DraPrime
2008-09-18, 07:34 PM
May I remind you that each of those tickets cost s $76? And that because all the metclub members get the presale, we're up on the balcony? :smallmad:

SurlySeraph
2008-09-18, 08:20 PM
WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I got tickets to a Metallica concert with Machine Head and The Sword opening! My joy can't be contained!

Boston is only about a four-hour drive away, if I steal a car...

Say, Metal Head, could you tell me where you live and how sturdy your door is? For, um, entirely innocent, non-ticket-theft-related reasons?

Seriously though, that is AWESOME. I'm jealous.

Metal Head
2008-09-19, 03:12 PM
Boston is only about a four-hour drive away, if I steal a car...

Say, Metal Head, could you tell me where you live and how sturdy your door is? For, um, entirely innocent, non-ticket-theft-related reasons?

Seriously though, that is AWESOME. I'm jealous.

I live in a steel fortress in South Boston. It's very prominent.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-19, 03:19 PM
Damn. :smalltongue: Guess I'll just have to sit here listening to Death Magnetic and The Blackening over and over.

On a separate note, I retract my earlier statement that Unforgiven III is disappointing. It's really grown on me since I first heard it.

DraPrime
2008-09-19, 03:25 PM
Damn. :smalltongue: Guess I'll just have to sit here listening to Death Magnetic and The Blackening over and over.

On a separate note, I retract my earlier statement that Unforgiven III is disappointing. It's really grown on me since I first heard it.

Indeed, Unforgiven III is quite awesome. It's got my favorite solo on the entire album.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-09-20, 01:54 AM
Is there anybody here besides me who didn't like the Blackening? I got it because of all the great reviews, but found it very disappointing.

Anybody like King Diamond here? I've been on a KD binge recently while working on comp sci projects. Grandmaaaa!

black_Lizzard
2008-09-20, 09:30 AM
Anyone here like Lacrimosa? (anyone here even know who they are?)

looking for a new band to listen to, can anyone suggest anything? Here's a list of what metal i listen to:
Lacrimosa, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Sirenia, Therion, Epica, some Children of Bodom, some Tristania.

Needs to have good instrumentals. I like killswitch engage, but of the 2 albums i have (end of heartache and alive or just breathing) the majority of it sounds the same and kinda sucks.

How does the new Nightwish singer sound? haven't heard anything new of theirs.

Anyone else disappointed with the new Within Temptation album (the heart of everything). It sounds... americanized, and i'm not even totally sure how to define that, but it does. The song "What have you done?" is a good example, she still sounds amazing, but who thought it would be a good idea to have a guy (trying to sound overly-manly) in the background shouting "what have you done?" over and over again?

DraPrime
2008-09-20, 01:09 PM
looking for a new band to listen to, can anyone suggest anything? Here's a list of what metal i listen to:
Lacrimosa, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Sirenia, Therion, Epica, some Children of Bodom, some Tristania.

Needs to have good instrumentals. I like killswitch engage, but of the 2 albums i have (end of heartache and alive or just breathing) the majority of it sounds the same and kinda sucks.

A few bands that I can recommend are avantasia, blind guardian, iced earth, demons and wizards, and savage circus

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-20, 02:08 PM
I think I've said this before, but I like Dream Evil. Most of the songs sound different to me, so that's not an issue. I've been listening to them a lot lately, and have, for whatever reason, taken a liking to 'Doomlord' and 'My Number One' probably to to the inherent randomness...

'Fight you till the End' is still my favourite song of theirs, though.

Narmoth
2008-09-20, 02:22 PM

Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Epica - Galloglass, Kamelot, Angra, Rhapsody of Fire, Stratovarius, Gamma Ray
Therion - Dimmu Borgir, Emperor
Children of Bodom, Killswitch Engage - Dark Tranquillity, Opeth, Soilwork

I will also second the recomendation of Blind Guardian, Iced Earth and Demons and Wizards.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-20, 04:50 PM

I love Killswitch Engage. But yeah, all their songs are pretty similar.

I like her a bit better than the old one, but there's a lot of argument over which is better. Amaranth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqanKNq2Mh0&feature=user) is a good example of her singing.

DraPrime
2008-09-20, 05:30 PM
so a friend of mine has been raving about how fantastic a death metal band called Vaded is. I'm curious if anyone here can tell me something about them and how good they are.

zeratul
2008-09-20, 05:38 PM

Verry different style than the old one, I like her though. She has much more of a rock style of vocals, not the whole operatic thing, but it works. There's also been some great stuff with Marco on the albums, the song "the islander (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRc9rNDZOCE)" which he performs lead vocals on is my favorite part of the album.

Spiryt
2008-09-20, 05:56 PM
so a friend of mine has been raving about how fantastic a death metal band called Vaded is. I'm curious if anyone here can tell me something about them and how good they are.

I couldn't find anything about Vaded anywhere - perhaps you meant Vader?