PDA

View Full Version : Rotating Avatar

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2005-06-30, 05:35 PM
During the time I have spent on these boards, I have had several personal avatars. Well, in order to make sure all artists get represented fairly, I would ideally like to have one of those avatars that change images every time the page is refreshed. Problem: I have no idea how. Can someone please help me out here?

Also, I want to make sure that this is ok with the artists in question before I do anyhitng with their work.

Artists
Veera, my first and also an early Veeratar.
The Losar
Abbounpronouncable is on hiatus, so I can only assume that he will not mind.
Gorbash Kazdar: I requested an avatar from him last week or so and the idea came to me this morning.

Frojoe21
2005-06-30, 06:46 PM
Well, you could put them all in an animated gif, and this really does belong in board issues.

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2005-06-30, 08:05 PM
Ok. Thanks. I didn't know where to put it. If necessary, I will PM the proper authorities.

The Prince of Cats
2006-07-28, 05:01 AM
If you have your own server, I once wrote someone a very simple PHP image rotation page. Instead of returning HTML headers, it returns GIF headers and a random file from a list held internally.

Only trouble is, there are a number of forums which will not accept .php as an image extension.

image.php

<?php
header("Content-type: image/gif");

$number = rand(1, 3);

$image = "avatar".$number.".gif";

include($image);
?>

Name the avatars 'avatar1.gif' to 'avatar3.gif' and place them in the same directory as this php file. If you wanted 10 files, change the value of the random number by changing "rand(1, 3)" to "rand(1, 10)" and just name the avatars up to 'avatar10.gif'

An example is at http://www.dragonstalon.co.uk/test/image.php but it is just a simple signature.

Omen
2006-08-02, 10:57 PM
Interesting!

Does anyone know, well I'm sure someone does ~ but could someone share how to do animated GIFs? I SOOOO want to make an animated avatar.

Plllleeeeaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeee!

LostInBrittany
2006-08-03, 03:42 AM
Making an animated avatar can be relatively easy if you have, for example, Macromedia (or Adobe) Flash.

If you have only Inkscape (or Power Point as you) and GIMP, the best technique is creating a layer per animation frame (technique called onion skinning) and putting all into an animated gif using Gimp.

I've half done a tutorial about that, that I must finish, as I've promised it to Were-Sandwich a while ago... :)

Examples of animated gif I've done using that technique :

http://www.lostinbrittany.org/images/oots/lib_au_revoir_r2.gif

http://www.lostinbrittany.org/images/oots/lib_beer.gif

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-03, 05:46 AM
Nice to know you haven't forgotten.

LostInBrittany
2006-08-03, 07:21 AM
Nice to know you haven't forgotten.

I haven't forgotten, I only have a critical case of lack of free time :(

Omen
2006-08-03, 09:23 AM
Very well, I guess I will have to be patient and wait for that tutorial. ;) That last one making me thirsty.

Thanks,

Vaynor
2006-08-04, 04:39 AM
During the time I have spent on these boards, I have had several personal avatars. Well, in order to make sure all artists get represented fairly, I would ideally like to have one of those avatars that change images every time the page is refreshed. Problem: I have no idea how. Can someone please help me out here?

Also, I want to make sure that this is ok with the artists in question before I do anyhitng with their work.

Artists
Veera, my first and also an early Veeratar.
The Losar
Abbounpronouncable is on hiatus, so I can only assume that he will not mind.
Gorbash Kazdar: I requested an avatar from him last week or so and the idea came to me this morning.

Didn't you use to have an avAtar that changed before? I seem to remember you having one... :)

Adghar
2006-08-06, 02:52 PM
Well, he's talking about an avatar that doesn't change at certain time intervals, but rather an avatar that changes as you refresh it; like the top bar in the GITP home page.

Bah, the one time I leave out my usual uncertaintential nouns, like "I believe" or "perhaps" or "maybe" or "there's the possibility that" I turn out wrong.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-06, 05:36 PM
Didn't you use to have an avAtar that changed before? I seem to remember you having one... :)
Note the date on your quote - this thread started back in 2005.