PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Level -9 to 0 (brainstorm)

Yakk
2008-08-22, 11:33 AM
Level 1 4e characters are already "heroic" in stature. The idea is to create a set of progression that takes a "true mook" up to a full first-level character.

I'm thinking you would pass through each level at a rate of one per encounter.

Power progression thoughts (6 steps from base -- you should start with one at-will as per-encounter)
@Will per-encounter
@Will per-encounter
@encounter per-day
@Will at-will
@Will at-will
@encounter per-encounter
@day per-day

Stat progression thoughts (2 steps from base)
-2 to all
-2 to three
Standard

Feature thoughts (4 steps from base)
Break each classes features into maybe 4 steps?

Class modifiers (4 steps from base)
Grant HP from class
Grant Skills from class
Grant Healing surges from class
Grant Defense bonuses from class

Racial thoughts (3 steps from base)
I think you should start with Racial stat modifiers
Grant Defense bonuses from race
Grant Power from race
Grant "other" part of race (bonus feat, skill, etc)

Generic PC feature thoughts (2 steps)
Grant Second Wind (must be before Racial Power for Dwarves)
Grant Feat

That's 21 steps. Some of them should be reserved for going from 0 to 1.

If we arranged it so that each "level up" granted ~2 of the above steps, and ordered them, then we'd have a relatively smooth progression.

Naturally below level 1, you wouldn't add 1/2 your level to your rolls (as that would _suck_!)

Any thoughts about other things to take away from sub-level-1 characters? :-) How hard would it be to split class features into 4 packages?

Starsinger
2008-08-22, 02:34 PM
Pardon me for not being thrilled about bringing casters back to the loser days of carting around a crossbow and getting one magic missile per fight.

Edit: Sorry that came out a bit meaner than I intended. I like the idea of not being a hero at first level everytime. I'm not as fond of the planned execution.

AgentPaper
2008-08-22, 02:39 PM
How is HP supposed to progress? If you start at something like 20-30 normally in 4E, then what, you start with 2-3 HP and get 2-3 HP each level?

Duke of URL
2008-08-22, 02:46 PM
For HP, I'd suggest starting at half the 1st level value, increasing to 3/4, and then to full. (Or add an extra step: 1/2 -> 2/3 -> 5/6 -> full).

Starsinger
2008-08-22, 03:08 PM
Don't forget Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, and WArlock's Curse should be toned down. Probably limited since at will is a big deal. Also what about Divine Challange and Warrior's Mark? Are those at will still?

fendrin
2008-08-22, 03:32 PM
I had an idea along these lines to create a 0th level. One fundamental design philosophy difference is that I would only change things that are 'trained', so racial abilities and attributes stay the same. I suppose that you could have two attributes start at -1 (the reverse of the level 4 boost), but those are going to be dump stats anyway, so it doesn't have much impact.

Here's what I came up with:

Attributes: As normal
Skills: Trained grants +2, otherwise same or start with half as many trained skills (round down)
Feats: none
Powers: Start with 2 at wills. One always does 1 damage (but otherwise unchanged), the other is usable once per encounter. Also start with one encounter power, usable once per day.
Racial Abilities: As normal
Class abilities: Implements: As normal
Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, Etc: once per encounter or do a static amount of damage (half of average?)
Channel Divinity, Healing Word, etc.: encounter powers become daily or restore fixed amount of HP (half of average?)
Prime Shot, Rogue weapon stuff, ranger & fighter style choice, etc: as normal
etc.
Money: As normal

Recaiden
2008-08-22, 03:42 PM
How about starting at -5 and going to 1, adding about 3 steps at each level?

That's 21 / 7 = 3