PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Expanded Mount Options

RTGoodman
2008-08-24, 11:00 PM
Expanded Mount Options

A dwarf cavalry regiment riding upon the backs of raging grizzly bears. The frost giant astride a massive mammoth. The drow assassin stalking the Underdark on his stealthy lizard. The kobold on his loyal weasel companion. All are famous aspects of mounted combat, and yet none works out that well based on the current rules for D&D 4E. Here I've attempted to expand the options available to characters and enemies by including new mounts and optional rules for mount advancement.

New Mounts

The following creatures are new creature options that players may purchase and use as mounts. All are appropriate for Small or Medium riders, except the Mammoth (which is appropriate for Medium or Large riders). Prices and carrying capacities are listed below.

Giant Crab
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/GiantCrabStats.png

Giant Owl
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/GiantOwlStats.png

Grizzly Bear
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/GrizzlyBearStats.png

Icerime Mammoth
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/IcerimeMammothStats.png

Infernal Charger
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/InfernalChargerStats.png

Riding Hippopotamus
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/RidingHippoStats-1.png

Riding Lizard
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/RidingLizardStats.png

Riding Weasel
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/RidingWeaselStats.png

War Bat
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/WarBatStats.png

War Ram
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/WarRamStats.png

Mount Equipment and Prices

The following charts list prices for new mounts and equipment useful for characters with such steeds. The exotic saddle is appropriate for mounts that climb or burrow (like the riding lizard), while the flying mount is required for flying mounts.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/MountPrices-1.png
*Quadrupeds have +25% carrying capacity.
**The icerime mammoth has +50% carrying capacity.

Mount Advancement

The 4E rules, as of now, do not provide rules for advancing mounts other than the general rules in the DMG for advancing monsters. However, these rules are generally not meant for increasing a creature's level by more than 5; after this, the authors suggest finding a new creature. Many riders, though, may not want to find a new mount of an appropriate level, and with the lack of mounts in the MM at high Paragon and Epic levels (12 possibilities, with on the Rimefire Griffon being higher than level 13 and being only level 20 itself) this leaves a lot of gaps.

The following are a possible solution to the problem. Mounts are "upgraded" as normal, but they also increase ability scores, damage dice, and such, which is normally not an option for advancing a monster via the DMG method. Furthermore, this method attempts mostly to keep mounts alive and part of a mounted character's repertoire rather than being a powerful character in and of itself. The optional advancement method is as follows.

Each time it gains a level, improve a mount as per the rules for advancing monsters (see DMG 174). Increase its level, hit points, attack, defenses, skills, initiative, and ability modifiers as normal. Do not increase its damage (see below). Every even-numbered level, increase the creature’s highest ability score by 1 or 2 (by 2 at levels divisible by four and by 1 at other even levels) and increase each other ability score by 1 (except Intelligence for natural beasts).

At levels 4, 7, and 10, and every three levels thereafter, consult the table “Damage By Level” (DMG 185) to determine the damage a mount does with its attacks. Work with your DM to find values that approximately correspond to those for its attacks at its original level. For instance, a War Ram deals 1d10 + 4 damage at level 4, which is Medium Normal damage for a creature of 4th level. At 7th level, the value for Medium Normal damage is 2d6 + 5 damage, which will suffice given DM consent. If the normal amount is not agreeable, instead consider using the High Normal Damage category for the level equal to the mounts level - 3 or the Low Normal Damage category for the level equal to the mount's level + 3.

When a creature reaches a level equal to its original level + 10, the mount gains the devoted mount power in addition to its other powers.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/DevotedMount.png

When a mount reaches a level equal to its original level + 20, the mount gains the legendary mount power in addition to its other powers.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/LegendaryMount.png

I haven't seen anything like this yet, so I took a stab at it. This is what I've got so far. Questions? Comments? Wild screams of protest?

I know the advancement rules seem like something anyone could have come up with, but I figured I'd try to just codify them in case I need to make list o' houserules or anything.

Prices on the mounts are determined as if they were a magic item of their level (based on the warhorse, a level 3 creature, with a cost equal to that of a level 3 magic item). The stat blocks aren't set in stone and may change (since some of them are just what I could cobble together for lack of anything better), but it's good enough for now.

Jaerc
2008-08-25, 12:12 AM
I like what you've done mechanically. I'm a little uncertain of whether the precise workings of the Devoted and Legendary mount work in actual gameplay. I'm also impressed with the statblocks you used, could you PM me with your method?

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-25, 11:16 AM
I have to say, this is exactly what I was looking for. I need a mount, and none of the MM ones fit the flavour of my character well. It is unfortunate that giving the riding lizard its signature feature would break the game (wall walk), but other than that, I love them. Good job. And also, good stat blocks.

RTGoodman
2008-08-25, 11:25 AM
It is unfortunate that giving the riding lizard its signature feature would break the game (wall walk), but other than that, I love them. Good job. And also, good stat blocks.

Actually, it CAN walk on walls and ceilings and whatnot. A climb speed lets a creature move on vertical surfaces at the listed speed (though it can't shift or charge) without making checks, and spider climb allows it to do the same on ceilings and overhangs.

Otherwise, thanks! Glad you liked it! Any suggestions for more mounts or things like that? I couldn't think of anything else cool.

Oh, and I'm also thinking about putting together a "Poor Man's Guide to Making Fancy 4E Stat Blocks" soon, if you're interested. I'll probably post it here once I'm done.

Zuki
2008-08-25, 11:26 AM
You put Dire Weasels back in the game. If only for that, I would love you.

Additionally, I really like the War Ram, it looks like a potent mount and is one of the earliest available. Headbutt and Dire Gore look like very useful abilities. I'd love to pick up one of those for a PC of mine.

The Bear Cavalry bonus to intimidate makes me grin.

All around, they look pretty good, but I don't know much about balance. The Mammoth's level seems too high or 'inapproachable', though. I'm not sure any natural animals should have Paragon-tier levels of difficulty to defeat. Did you place them that high out of a desire for more paragon-tier mounts?

RTGoodman
2008-08-25, 11:33 AM
The Mammoth's level seems too high or 'inapproachable', though. I'm not sure any natural animals should have Paragon-tier levels of difficulty to defeat. Did you place them that high out of a desire for more paragon-tier mounts?

Well, it's half that there needed to be some higher-level mounts, and half that I think Mammoth is a more appropriate NPC mount for Giants (like this) than as a PC mount and most Giants (even though Frost Giants haven't officially been created yet) are Large-sized creatures of levels 13 to 18. Making the Mammoth around that level just helps out encounter balance. I guess you could call it a "Dire Mammoth" or something if 16 seems like too high a level for a "normal" animal.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-25, 12:39 PM
Actually, it CAN walk on walls and ceilings and whatnot. A climb speed lets a creature move on vertical surfaces at the listed speed (though it can't shift or charge) without making checks, and spider climb allows it to do the same on ceilings and overhangs.

I did not notice the climb speed and spider climb. My DM says that would be unfair as it "makes you immune to melee attacks". So does a Blade Spider, and they are in the rulebooks. I will definitely make this point to him. And buy myself one of those lizards.
How about a riding panther, scorpion, Roc, manticore, bullette, kruthik, hyena, hound, unicorn, worg, or chimera?
Also, I like the Infernal Charger, but there is already a Nightmare, and it is already a mount (page 196 of the MM)

Mando Knight
2008-08-25, 12:49 PM
I agree on the Mammoth being a bit too strong... maybe level 9 or 10, but a Paragon tier mundane animal...
Also, I think its Wisdom is too high. I've never thought of pachyderms being the most aware animals in the world.

RTGoodman
2008-08-25, 01:08 PM
I did not notice the climb speed and spider climb. My DM says that would be unfair as it "makes you immune to melee attacks". So does a Blade Spider, and they are in the rulebooks. I will definitely make this point to him.

Also, you shouldn't ever be fighting an encounter that always depending on JUST melee attacks. The 4E DMG and MM really make sure to tell you that you should have a good mix of artillery, controller, skirmisher, and lurker enemies alongside your brutes and soldiers. And since mounted combat is balanced by adding another enemy of your mount's level, he can just add in something with ranged attacks if he really needs to. I mean, it's strong, but a Griffon (an official, RAW, MM creature) is a Level 5 Skirmisher and FLIES (and gives +1 to all defenses!). With the few options available for real, extended flight in 4E, that's easily better than spiderclimbing unless all of your adventures are in tunnels, dungeons, and other enclosed spaces.

How about a riding panther, scorpion, Roc, manticore, bullette, kruthik, hyena, hound, unicorn, worg, or chimera?

Manticores are already in the MM with a mount power (guided sniper), so I probably won't do anything with those.

Chimeras, Hounds, Hyenas, Panthers, Rocs, Scorpions, Unicorns, Worgs are in the MM but don't have mount abilities, so I might do something with them. Of course, you can ride anything that's Large or larger, so some are good besides having mount powers. Another problem is that, since mounts have to be at least Large, some don't work as well because of their smaller size (especially Hounds and Hyenas). I'm actually surprised that Unicorns aren't mounts already, though.

Also, I like the Infernal Charger, but there is already a Nightmare, and it is already a mount (page 196 of the MM)

Yeah, I didn't see the Nightmare in the Horse area (where the Celestial Charger is) so I assumed it wasn't in the MM. I happened to see it in its own section after I statted it all out, so I just changed the name to Infernal Charger and left it in. It makes a nice dichotomy with the Celestial Charger (same level and role, but EVIL!) and is available earlier than the Nightmare, so I guess it fills its own little niche.

I agree on the Mammoth being a bit too strong... maybe level 9 or 10, but a Paragon tier mundane animal...
Also, I think its Wisdom is too high. I've never thought of pachyderms being the most aware animals in the world.

When I get a chance, I'll probably change it to be a Frostrime Mammoth or something (Huge elemental beast) so it's not a ridiculously powerful mundane animal. Maybe some cold resistance and fire weakness.

For the Wis, the suggested score is (10 + 1/2 level + 3) for the highest ability score of a pair. I figured it's probably not that Charismatic, so Wis would have to be the higher score. A 19 isn't even the suggested score. Also, without the decent Wis, it's defenses aren't all that great. I might drop it a little bit, but probably not much. Or when I change it to an elemental beast I might swap the Wis and Cha around. High Cha seems like it'd be okay for an elemental mount.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-25, 01:22 PM
Also, you shouldn't ever be fighting an encounter that always depending on JUST melee attacks. The 4E DMG and MM really make sure to tell you that you should have a good mix of artillery, controller, skirmisher, and lurker enemies alongside your brutes and soldiers. And since mounted combat is balanced by adding another enemy of your mount's level, he can just add in something with ranged attacks if he really needs to. I mean, it's strong, but a Griffon (an official, RAW, MM creature) is a Level 5 Skirmisher and FLIES (and gives +1 to all defenses!). With the few options available for real, extended flight in 4E, that's easily better than spiderclimbing unless all of your adventures are in tunnels, dungeons, and other enclosed spaces.

I think the issue is that he learned in our last adventure that putting me on an elevated platform with his monsters sucks to be him (I Thunderwaved them all off a platform, and a few got banged up badly and one or two died from the fall). With a riding Lizard I could run up the wall, Thunderwave them all off of it, and then pummel them with Magic Missiles and Scorching Bursts. So its not unfair per say, but its sorta unfair for an AOE wizard like mine.

Yakk
2008-08-25, 01:43 PM
Every even-numbered level, increase the creature’s highest ability score by 1 or 2 (by 2 at levels divisible by four and by 1 at other even levels) and increase each other ability score by 1 (except Intelligence for natural beasts).

That is honestly too fast.

Every even-numbered level, increase the creatures three highest ability scores by 1.

Every level that is a multiple of 4, increase the other 3 abilities by 1.

That matches the DMG 'build a creature' rules more closely.

Mando Knight
2008-08-25, 02:44 PM
For the Wis, the suggested score is (10 + 1/2 level + 3) for the highest ability score of a pair. I figured it's probably not that Charismatic, so Wis would have to be the higher score. A 19 isn't even the suggested score. Also, without the decent Wis, it's defenses aren't all that great. I might drop it a little bit, but probably not much. Or when I change it to an elemental beast I might swap the Wis and Cha around. High Cha seems like it'd be okay for an elemental mount.

Yeah, but that's far too high: a Thunderhawk, which should be known for its perceptive vision (like a normal hawk), and thus have a high Wis, only has 16. And it's a Level 22 Elite... so the Mammoth is 6 levels lower but with 3 more Wis than a hawk.

Animal mental scores were never meant to be advanced like a normal sapient monster. They should have lower mental defenses. The DMG's suggested 13 + 1/2 level is for beings that are meant to have a chance at challenging its foes and resist attacks, not for simply carrying warriors into and during battle. I'd knock the Mammoth's Wis down to 13 like its Dex... yes, it'll have low defenses in those areas, but I don't think that a non-sapient pachyderm should be able to resist Eyebite better than half of the Elder Dragons (Upper Paragon to low Epic Solo monsters). (Black and White Elders have less than 30 despite being higher level than the Mammoth, and Green Elders have 31. The Red and Blue Elders are the only ones more robust mentally, and they're the bookends for the Epic threshold.)

In return, its Str and Con should be quite higher than normal, since they're quite robust beasts. Again, I don't think that mounts should have much higher stats than dragons of the same level. (Dex and Wis are the primary exceptions: Wis for exceptionally perceptive mounts, and Dex for exceptionally agile beasts like birds and Manticores.)

I think that mount ability advancement should be quite limited: Wis only, but only if it is a perceptive mount (i.e. its Perception is higher than Wis modifier + 1/2 level). It should also be limited to having stat gains equal to or less than those of PCs, or else they might eclipse the PCs abilities (something that is a no-go for any non-Elite/Solo 4E monster). I'd say a boost of 1 to 2 abilities every even level... possibly with a +1 to all at base level +10 and +20.

RTGoodman
2008-08-25, 03:22 PM
Ah, okay, good points guys. I'll admit I haven't done much at all as far as paragon and epic level stuff, so I don't know as much about it's balance.

@Yakk: That actually sounds pretty good. My first attempt was something like that, but it ended up not increasing scores enough. I just sort of overshot and didn't look back. :smallsigh:

@Mando Knight: Yeah, I see your point looking through the MM at higher-level stuff now. I'm just gonna redo the Mammoth in a little while (making it an Elemental Beast) and increase Str and Con a bit and drop Wis as you suggest. Now that I look at it, it's Str is too low anyway for what it's supposed to do (i.e., carry giants).

I'm still gonna fiddle around with the numbers a bit for mount advancement; they should get bonuses, but since you don't determine damage, attack bonuses, or anything like that by using ability scores I don't think having them be high-ish is that big of a problem. The only thing they affect is defenses, and that's primarily what the method is seeking to increase.

(I Thunderwaved them all off a platform, and a few got banged up badly and one or two died from the fall)

Did your DM remember that creatures get to roll a saving throw to avoid being pushed off things? PHB 274 says if you're forced over a precipice by a power or bull rush, you make a saving throw; on 10+, you fall prone at the edge, while less than 10 you fall off. That's a 55% chance to avoid falling entirely.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-25, 03:46 PM
Did your DM remember that creatures get to roll a saving throw to avoid being pushed off things? PHB 274 says if you're forced over a precipice by a power or bull rush, you make a saving throw; on 10+, you fall prone at the edge, while less than 10 you fall off. That's a 55% chance to avoid falling entirely.

It was kinda our first session and he 4got a few of the rules. Like using ranged attack in melee provokes AOs. We had Kobold Slingers whacking us Point Blank with slings and we didn't get our AO's.

RTGoodman
2008-08-26, 06:22 PM
Alright, I changed the original Mammoth a bit into the Icerime Mammoth, an elemental beast, and edited some stats and abilities? How's it look now?

Also, I just added the first of a few aquatic mounts, the Riding Hippo. I don't actually know how big hippos are (though they're supposedly quite deadly), but if this is too small just imagine it's a specially-bred little one meant for riding. :smalltongue: I'll probably come up with more water-related mounts, too, since that seems to be a deficiency in the MM.

Mando Knight
2008-08-26, 09:40 PM
The mammoth looks good now.
The hippo is a bit off. Its strength is only that of a riding horse, and its wisdom is that of a hawk. IRL, hippos can snap crocodiles in half with their jaws... so I'd give them a 21 or 23 in Str, more in line with the Warhorse and the Celestial Charger. I'm not too sure on their perception, but I think that a 14 or 15 might be enough... again, those are the stats used by the Warhorse and the Celestial Charger. The Con and Dex look fine, though... except that you might want to boost the Con if you're boosting its Str.

Jaerc
2008-08-26, 11:36 PM
I dislike the execution of the Riding Hippo. They're more deadly and less fast, at least IRL.

Mando Knight
2008-08-27, 09:23 PM
I dislike the execution of the Riding Hippo. They're more deadly and less fast, at least IRL.

You're calling something that can out-run an Olympic sprinter "less fast?" Perhaps a low normal speed is in order, but its speedy encounter power is perfect for it.
On a completely tangential side-note, I Wikipedia'ed hippopotamus while writing the post, then went into various articles about female mammal reproductive systems, then went and completed some homework, then finished posting. 10 or more minutes later.

RTGoodman
2008-09-11, 07:54 PM
Alright, I've had a bunch of other stuff to do and I've been sick for a few days, but I've got an update finally.

Note: Because I re-uploaded some stuff with duplicate file names, you may have to hit your F5 key to force the page to fully refresh/reload everything.

Some stuff that's changed:

-Edited the Hippo, changing the stats and whatnot as others suggested. I left the speed as it was though - hippos can be surprisingly fast, and with a speed 6 and the burst ability it can keep up with or occasionally OUTRUN a human.
-Added the Giant Crab, and it's open for critique.

I haven't edited the mount advancement stuff yet, but I'll get to it soon.

Dracomortis
2008-09-12, 03:58 PM
Here's a few.

Battle Shark Level 3 Skirmisher
Large natural beast (aquatic, mount) XP 150
---------------------------------------------------------
Initiative +5 Senses Perception +8, tremorsense 10
HP 49; Bloodied 24
AC 17; Fortitude 16; Reflex 15; Will 15
Speed swim 8
Savage Bite (standard; at-will)
+8 vs. AC; 1d8 + 3 damage, and ongoing 2 damage (save ends).
Blood Sense
A battle shark gains a +4 bonus on Perception checks made against
bloodied creatures.
Brutal Rush ♦ Mount
The battle shark grants its rider a +5 bonus to damage rolls on charge
attacks.
Alignment Unaligned Languages —
Str 20 (+6) Dex 14 (+3) Wis 14 (+3)
Con 17 (+4) Int 2 (–2) Cha 10 (+1)
Carrying Capacity 200 lb. (normal); 400 lb. (heavy); 1,000 lb. (push/drag)
Market Price 680 gp

Clockwork Steed Level 5 Brute
Large natural animate (construct, mount) XP 200
Initiative +4 Senses Perception +9
HP 78; Bloodied 39
AC 17; Fortitude 18; Reflex 17; Will 17
Immune disease, poison
Speed 8
Kick (standard; at-will)
+8 vs. AC; 1d8 + 5 damage.
Steel Harness ♦ Mount
A clockwork steed’s rider gains a +5 bonus on saving throws to avoid being
forced to dismount. A rider of at least 5th level also gains a +2 bonus to
AC while mounted.
Str 18 (+6) Dex 15 (+4) Wis 15 (+4)
Con 15 (+4) Int 5 (–1) Cha 10 (+2)
Carrying Capacity 270 lb. (normal); 540 lb. (heavy); 1,350 lb. (push/drag)
Market Price 1,000 gp

Dire Bat Level 4 Skirmisher
Large natural beast (mount) XP 175
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +8, darkvision
HP 52; Bloodied 26
AC 18; Fortitude 16; Reflex 18; Will 15
Speed 2 (clumsy), fly 8
Blood Drain (standard; at-will)
+9 vs. AC; 1d6 + 4 damage, and ongoing 5 damage (save ends). A dire bat
deals an extra 2 damage against bloodied targets.
Blood Frenzy ♦ Mount
A rider of at least 4th level gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls against
bloodied targets while mounted.
Str 15 (+4) Dex 21 (+7) Wis 12 (+3)
Con 12 (+3) Int 2 (–2) Cha 8 (+1)
Carrying Capacity 150 lb. (normal); 300 lb. (heavy); 750 lb. (push/drag)
Market Price 840 gp

Giant Firefly Level 1 Skirmisher
Large natural beast (mount) XP 100
Initiative +5 Senses Perception +8, low-light vision
HP 29; Bloodied 14
AC 15; Fortitude 13; Reflex 14; Will 13
Speed 2 (clumsy), fly 6
Bite (standard; at-will)
+6 vs. AC; 1d6 + 3 damage.
Bioluminescence
A giant firefly sheds dim light within 6 squares of its body. It can end
or resume this effect as a free action.
Search Party ♦ Mount
The rider gains a +4 bonus on Perception checks while mounted.
Str 12 (+1) Dex 14 (+2) Wis 13 (+1)
Con 13 (+1) Int 1 (–5) Cha 12 (+1)
Carrying Capacity 150 lb. (normal); 300 lb. (heavy); 750 lb. (push/drag)
Market Price 360 gp

Dracomortis
2008-09-15, 12:52 PM
A larger, more ferocious shark mount for sahuagin barons and other oversized riders.

Bloodfin Shark Level 7 Skirmisher
Huge natural magical beast (aquatic, mount) XP 300
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +11, tremorsense 10
HP 83; Bloodied 41
AC 21; Fortitude 21; Reflex 19; Will 19
Speed swim 8
Savage Bite (standard; at-will)
+12 vs. AC; 2d6 + 5 damage, and ongoing 5 damage (save ends).
Devour Blood (standard; recharges when a target saves against savage bite)
The bloodfin shark gains 5 temporary hit points.
Blood Sense
A bloodfin shark gains a +4 bonus on Perception checks made against
bloodied creatures.
Blood Frenzy ♦ Mount
A rider of at least 7th level gains a +2 bonus on damage rolls against
bloodied targets while mounted.
Str 21 (+8) Dex 16 (+6) Wis 16 (+6)
Con 19 (+7) Int 4 (+0) Cha 12 (+4)
Carrying Capacity 263 lb. (normal); 525 lb. (heavy); 1,313 lb. (push/drag)
Market Price 2,600 gp

Dracomortis
2008-09-15, 11:39 PM
Two more before I go to bed: the deathclaw behemoth and the spikeshield behemoth (the utahraptor and the triceratops, respectively).

Deathclaw Behemoth Level 6 Skirmisher
Large natural beast (mount) XP 250
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +10
HP 70; Bloodied 35
AC 20; Fortitude 18; Reflex 19; Will 18
Speed 10
Claw (standard; at-will)
+11 vs. AC; 1d10 + 4 damage.
Spring Attack (standard; at-will)
The deathclaw behemoth moves up to 10 squares and makes one melee
basic attack at any point during that movement. The deathclaw behemoth
doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks when moving away from the target of
the attack.
Agile Movement ♦ Mount
A deathclaw behemoth’s rider gains a +2 bonus to Reflex defense.
Str 16 (+6) Dex 19 (+7) Wis 15 (+5)
Con 14 (+5) Int 2 (-1) Cha 6 (+1)
Carrying Capacity 160 lb. (normal); 320 lb. (heavy); 800 lb. (push/drag)
Market Price 1,800 gp

Spikeshield Behemoth Level 10 Soldier
Huge natural beast (mount) XP 500
Initiative +7 Senses Perception +11
HP 111; Bloodied 55
AC 26; Fortitude 24; Reflex 18; Will 19
Speed 6
Gore (standard; at-will)
+17 vs. AC; 2d6 + 5 damage.
Powerful Charge (standard; at-will)
The spikeshield behemoth makes a charge attack: +18 vs. AC; 1d8 + 5
damage, and the target is knocked prone.
Shielding Frill ♦ Mount
A spikeshield behemoth’s rider gains a +2 bonus to AC while mounted.
Str 21 (+10) Dex 10 (+7) Wis 12 (+6)
Con 23 (+11) Int 2 (+2) Cha 7 (+3)
Carrying Capacity 315 lb. (normal); 630 lb. (heavy); 1,575 lb. (push/drag)
Market Price 5,000 gp

Dracomortis
2008-09-16, 03:31 PM
Three more dinosaur* mounts: the dreadfang behemoth, the lesser deathclaw behemoth, and the terrorfin behemoth (tyrannosaurus, deinonychus, and elasmosaurus, respectively).

Elite Mounts: Since an elite monster counts as two creatures of its level, you should include two additional creatures of the mount's level in each encounter, instead of the one additional creature for non-elite mounts. Also, an elite mount costs twice as much as a non-elite mount of the same level.

*Elasmosaurus is not actually a dinosaur. Hopefully the fanboys won't kill me now.

Dreadfang Behemoth Level 10 Elite Brute
Huge natural beast (mount) XP 1,000
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +12
HP 264; Bloodied 132
AC 24; Fortitude 27; Reflex 19; Will 23
Saving Throws +2
Speed 8
Action Points 1
Bite (standard; at-will)
Reach 2; +13 vs. AC; 3d6 + 5 damage.
Jaws of Dread (standard; at-will)
The dreadfang behemoth makes two bite attacks. If both bite attacks hit
the same target, the dreadfang behemoth makes a secondary attack
against the target. Secondary Attack: +11 vs. AC; the target is grabbed
(until escape).
Crushing Fangs (standard; at-will)
The dreadfang behemoth deals 6d6 + 5 damage to a grabbed creature (no
attack roll required).
Terror Incarnate ♦ Mount
If he is at least 10th level, a dreadfang behemoth’s rider may make a melee
basic attack as a free action once per round at the beginning of his turn
against a target grabbed by the dreadfang behemoth’s jaws of dread. A
rider gains a +4 bonus to Intimidate checks while mounted.
Str 25 (+12) Dex 12 (+6) Wis 15 (+7)
Con 22 (+11) Int 2 (+1) Cha 10 (+5)
Carrying Capacity 250 lb. (normal); 500 lb. (heavy); 1,250 lb. (push/drag)
Market Price 10,000 gp

Lesser Deathclaw Behemoth Level 3 Skirmisher
Medium natural beast (mount) XP 150
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +7
HP 44; Bloodied 22
AC 17; Fortitude 15; Reflex 16; Will 15
Speed 10
Claw (standard; at-will)
+8 vs. AC; 1d10 + 3 damage.
Spring Attack (standard; at-will)
The lesser deathclaw behemoth moves up to 10 squares and makes one
melee basic attack at any point during that movement. The lesser
deathclaw behemoth doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks when moving
away from the target of the attack.
Agile Movement ♦ Mount
A lesser deathclaw behemoth’s rider gains a +2 bonus to Reflex defense.
Str 14 (+3) Dex 17 (+4) Wis 13 (+2)
Con 12 (+2) Int 2 (-3) Cha 6 (-1)
Carrying Capacity 140 lb. (normal); 280 lb. (heavy); 700 lb. (push/drag)
Market Price 680 gp

Terrorfin Behemoth Level 7 Elite Skirmisher
Huge natural beast (mount) XP 600
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +9, low-light vision
HP 160; Bloodied 80
AC 23; Fortitude 22; Reflex 23; Will 18
Saving Throws +2
Speed swim 8
Action Points 1
Bite (standard; at-will)
Reach 2; +12 vs. AC; 2d6 + 5 damage.
Darting Bite (standard; at-will)
The terrorfin behemoth swims up to 8 squares and makes one melee basic
attack at any point during that movement. The terrorfin behemoth doesn’t
provoke opportunity attacks when moving away from the target of the
attack.
Snapping Jaws (standard; at-will)
The terrorfin behemoth makes a bite attack, shifts 3 squares, and makes
another bite attack.
Rise from the Deep ♦ Mount
A rider of at least 7th level has combat advantage against any target the
terrorfin behemoth has combat advantage against, and vice versa. The
rider deals an extra 2 damage against any target he has combat advantage
against.
Str 18 (+7) Dex 21 (+8) Wis 13 (+4)
Con 16 (+6) Int 2 (-1) Cha 9 (+2)
Carrying Capacity 180 lb. (normal); 360 lb. (heavy); 900 lb. (push/drag)
Market Price 5,200 gp

RTGoodman
2008-09-16, 03:50 PM
Hey, thanks for these - most of them look really good. Also, I'm kicking myself for not thinking about doing dinosaur mounts - I did a whole 3.x PrC for dino-riders and already did a woolly mammoth, so I'm not sure why I didn't think of dinosaurs. I'll look over them just to check stuff, and then (as long as you don't mind) I'll probably put 'em in fancy stat blocks like the ones I've done in the OP and include them up there.

One thing I did notice is that at least one of your mounts is Medium-sized, which is technically illegal in 4E - all mounts have to be at least Large. One thing I thought of was, instead of just kicking it out, turning this into a Expanded Mount and Companion Options (or Expanded Pet Options or something), which could work, too.

Note: I've got another big homebrew project I'm working on, though, so I may not get to that for a few days or until I unleash the other upon the Playground (depending on how well I like the results).

Dracomortis
2008-09-16, 04:17 PM
Hey, thanks for these - most of them look really good. Also, I'm kicking myself for not thinking about doing dinosaur mounts - I did a whole 3.x PrC for dino-riders and already did a woolly mammoth, so I'm not sure why I didn't think of dinosaurs. I'll look over them just to check stuff, and then (as long as you don't mind) I'll probably put 'em in fancy stat blocks like the ones I've done in the OP and include them up there.

One thing I did notice is that at least one of your mounts is Medium-sized, which is technically illegal in 4E - all mounts have to be at least Large. One thing I thought of was, instead of just kicking it out, turning this into a Expanded Mount and Companion Options (or Expanded Pet Options or something), which could work, too.

Note: I've got another big homebrew project I'm working on, though, so I may not get to that for a few days or until I unleash the other upon the Playground (depending on how well I like the results).
Sounds fine with me. I would have done the stat blocks myself, but I'm not entirely sure how to.

I only vaguely remember where it mentions that mounts have to be at least Large size - I suppose I either thought it was an unnecessary restriction or I simply forgot about it. We can either ignore the size requirement, come up with a new optional rule to do the same, or I can simply remove the lesser deathclaw, depending on whichever is more convenient for you.

RTGoodman
2008-09-17, 09:37 PM
I just picked up Adventurer's Vault, and it turns out it's got several pages full of mounts and stuff. You know what's sad though? I like a lot of the ones we've done here better. (Dracomortis's sharks, for instance, are much cooler.)

Dracomortis
2008-09-18, 03:21 PM
I just picked up Adventurer's Vault, and it turns out it's got several pages full of mounts and stuff. You know what's sad though? I like a lot of the ones we've done here better. (Dracomortis's sharks, for instance, are much cooler.)
I might have to grab a copy of that myself, just to check it out, though I doubt it has anything cooler than my kobold rogue riding around on an icerime mammoth - turns out not a lot of people in our DM's campaign call you short when you're riding one of those, so many thanks for that. I'm taking a day or two off from D&D to play some Oblivion, but expect to see a few of these when I return:

--Battlebriar mount
--Claw of Torog
--Drow riding spider
--Dwarven war rhino
--Hound of Gruumsh
--Sandskitter scorpion
--Skeletal warhorse

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-18, 03:49 PM
--Drow riding spider

Already got one of those in teh MM.

I really like all of the things presented here. I think that some of it could also be modified to be a makeshift druid's companion, or even for animal forms. It makes me sad that PHB2 is so far away...

Dracomortis
2008-09-18, 04:12 PM
Already got one of those in teh MM.

I really like all of the things presented here. I think that some of it could also be modified to be a makeshift druid's companion, or even for animal forms. It makes me sad that PHB2 is so far away...
Whoops, missed the mount subtype on the blade spider. Has the druid been confirmed as being in the next Player's Handbook? I haven't really been keeping up on book previews / schedules lately, but I thought it wasn't set to release until next year? If our furry-shifting friend is included, I'll convert the creatures I've made to animal forms when I get a hold of the book, but given Wizards' current stance on summons / minions, I doubt the druid will still have an animal companion.

RTGoodman
2008-09-18, 04:43 PM
The Druid is, as far as I know, gonna be in the PHB2 sometime in the Spring. Either way, though, the Ranger is indeed going to have Animal Companions as per a new build option that'll be in Martial Power sourcebook (I think) and that was revealed in the AV. Basically, I assume it'll work just like a mount but you won't ride it. Each mount and companion has one magic item slot (and Mount item slot or a Companion item slot) that can be filled with some of the various Mount and Companion magic items in Adventurer's Vault.

The creature's we've included here are more focused on mounts, but they could work as companions, too (you just wouldn't get the mount bonus). I guess we could throw together some companions, too, but since we haven't seen any yet so we don't know any specifics.

One thing I'll have to do later is look at mount prices in the AV - last night they didn't look like they conformed to normal price guidelines for magic items, as we've done here, so I'll have to see if that's true and if it is, what the formula for them is.

Dracomortis
2008-09-18, 05:13 PM
The Druid is, as far as I know, gonna be in the PHB2 sometime in the Spring. Either way, though, the Ranger is indeed going to have Animal Companions as per a new build option that'll be in Martial Power sourcebook (I think) and that was revealed in the AV. Basically, I assume it'll work just like a mount but you won't ride it. Each mount and companion has one magic item slot (and Mount item slot or a Companion item slot) that can be filled with some of the various Mount and Companion magic items in Adventurer's Vault.

The creature's we've included here are more focused on mounts, but they could work as companions, too (you just wouldn't get the mount bonus). I guess we could throw together some companions, too, but since we haven't seen any yet so we don't know any specifics.

One thing I'll have to do later is look at mount prices in the AV - last night they didn't look like they conformed to normal price guidelines for magic items, as we've done here, so I'll have to see if that's true and if it is, what the formula for them is.
Good to know that the ranger is getting some love. I'll update my creatures' prices if you find a different formula.

Dracomortis
2008-09-20, 01:48 PM
Here's the battlebriar mount.

Saddlespike Battlebriar Level 17 Soldier
Large natural animate (mount, plant) XP 1,600
Initiative +12 Senses Perception +16
Flensing Thorns aura 2; any enemy that enters or begins its turn in the aura
takes 5 points of damage.
HP 166; Bloodied 83
AC 33; Fortitude 30; Reflex 26; Will 27
Speed 8
Claw (standard; at-will)
Reach 2; +24 vs. AC; 2d8 + 7 damage, and the target is marked until the
end of the saddlespike battlebriar’s next turn.
Death Throes (when reduced to 0 hit points)
Close burst 3; +22 vs. Reflex; enemies in the area take 5 points of damage.
Entwining Briars (minor; encounter) ♦ Mount
A saddlespike battlebriar’s rider is covered in thorny, protective vines.
Until the end of the rider’s next turn, all melee attacks made against him
deal 5 points of damage to the attacker.
Str 24 (+15) Dex 14 (+10) Wis 16 (+11)
Con 22 (+14) Int 3 (+4) Cha 13 (+9)
Carrying Capacity 240 lb. (normal); 480 lb. (heavy); 1,200 lb. (push/drag)
Market Price 65,000 gp

RTGoodman
2008-09-21, 08:24 PM
I've compiled all the mounts we've made (a full 20!) into THIS (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/4eExpandedMountOptions.pdf) handy PDF for printing and reviewing. It's not a final draft at all, but it looks good and is suitable for printing if you prefer to see stuff in paper than on the computer screen.

At some point tonight or tomorrow I'll be changing the price table to be more like the one in the Adventurer's Vault (which has price, speed, overland speed, distance per day, and stuff like that), and I may add some more mounts at some point. As of now, though, this thread has literally produced as many mounts as WotC itself. :smallbiggrin:

Dracomortis
2008-09-22, 12:32 PM
This thread officially gets +1 internets for the awesome .pdf. I might have a couple more mounts to add later today, if not tomorrow.

RTGoodman
2008-09-22, 06:42 PM
This thread officially gets +1 internets for the awesome .pdf. I might have a couple more mounts to add later today, if not tomorrow.

I updated the PDF with an edited format and expanded table of mount speeds and such (and some fancy pictures!), so you should check it out again.

I've got birthday stuffs to do tonight, but I'll try to update the original post to reflect that late tonight or tomorrow.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-22, 07:10 PM
rtg, mind posting a code for those fantastic blocks? I would love to contribute, but everything I ever post ends up a mess that others have to clean up.

RTGoodman
2008-09-22, 07:45 PM
rtg, mind posting a code for those fantastic blocks? I would love to contribute, but everything I ever post ends up a mess that others have to clean up.

Sure. It's part of a 4E Guide to Homebrewing I'm putting together, but here's the basics.

[hr]

Creating 4E Monster Stat Blocks

There are two methods to creating neat-looking stat blocks for homebrewed 4E monsters. The first is just to use the regular board code to create one; the other is to use Microsoft Word or any other sort of word processor to create and even-closer version of the official stat blocks.

Method 1: GitP Code for Online 4E Stat Blocks

Basically, you just need to use copious amounts of tags, white text, and such to make a good stat block using just the board code. After you get it mostly done, you just need to use some clever uses of your Enter key to line up the longer lines. Here's a sample.

Monster Name-TAB--TAB--TAB-Level X Role
Size origin type (subtype)-TAB-TAB--TAB-TAB-XP XXX
Initiative +X-TAB-Senses Perception +X; special vision
HP XX; Bloodied XX
AC XX; Fortitude XX, Reflex XX, Will XX
Saving Throws +X (Elites/Solos Only)
Speed X; alternate speeds
Action Points X (Elites/Solos Only)
+X vs. Defense; X damage, and [effect] (if any)

Code:

Monster Name-TAB--TAB--TAB-Level X Role
Size origin type (subtype)-TAB-TAB--TAB-TAB-XP XXX
Initiative +X-TAB-Senses Perception +X; special vision
HP XX; Bloodied XX
AC XX; Fortitude XX, Reflex XX, Will XX
Saving Throws +X (Elites/Solos Only)
Speed X; alternate speeds
Action Points X (Elites/Solos Only)
+X vs. Defense; X damage, and [effect] (if any)

Final Result:
Giant Crab-TAB-TAB-TAB-TAB-Level 8 Soldier
Large natural beast (mount)-TAB-TAB--TAB-TAB-XP 350
Initiative +9-TAB-Senses Perception +5; low-light vision
HP 92; Bloodied 46
AC 26; Fortitude 25, Reflex 23, Will 21
Speed 8; swim 6
The giant crab makes two claw attacks against the same target.
If both hit, it makes a secondary attack. Secondary attack:
+13 vs. Reflex; the target takes an extra 1d10 damage and takes
10 ongoing damage (save ends) and is grabbed (until escape).
The giant crab cannot make claw attacks while it has a target
grabbed.
Shielding Carapace ♦ Mount
A giant crab’s rider gains a +2 bonus to
AC while mounted.

I created my own versions of the attack icons (melee, melee basic, etc.) and recharge dice, which you can use by just using the [img] tags and the following.

Melee Basic (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/MeleeBasic.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/MeleeBasic.png
Melee (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/Melee.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/Melee.png
Ranged Basic (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/RangedBasic.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/RangedBasic.png
Ranged (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/Ranged.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/Ranged.png
Close Basic (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/CloseBasic.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/CloseBasic.png
Close (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/Close.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/Close.png
Area Basic (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/AreaBasic.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/AreaBasic.png
Area (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/Area.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/Area.png

Recharge 1 (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/1.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/1.png
Recharge 2 (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/2.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/2.png
Recharge 3 (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/3.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/3.png
Recharge 4 (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/4.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/4.png
Recharge 5 (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/5.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/5.png
Recharge 6 (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/6.png) - http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/6.png

I don't know if there are actually any Area Basic attacks or Close Basic attacks, but I made them just in case.

Method 2: Using Your Word Processor to Make 4E Fancy Stat Blocks

The second method lets you make fancy stat blocks for printing, turning into a PDF, or other uses that don't involve just the GitP forums. The method is a little complex, but it ends up looking very professional. Here's the process.

Type your stat block up using the standard template as found above and/or the Monster Manual (or wherever monsters are sold). Make sure your ruler is displayed, since we'll be using it a bit. Your top line should be size 12 font, and the rest at size 10. You can use Times New Roman or whatever font you want, and recharge blocks and attack icons are available online in various places.

Highlight the stat block, and set your left margin to 3.5" using the little triangle-shaped thing on the right end of the ruler. That'll be the far-right edge of your stat-block, optimized to fit two columns of blocks on a page if you switch to two columns.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/4eTutorial/Tutorial1.png

Set a Right tab stop at 4" for the top two lines, and a Left tab stop at 1.25" and 2.5" for the bottom two lines (the ability scores). To set what sort of tab stop something is (Right, Center, Left, etc.), just click to place the tab on the ruler, and then double-click it to bring up the tabs menu.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/4eTutorial/Tutorial2.png

Take a minute to figure out how to change your background color and text colors on whatever word processor you use. In older version of Office, I believe both of these are under the Format menu. In Office 2007 (the newest version), their available on your basic "Home" menu thingy, like so.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/4eTutorial/Tutorial3.png

Change the background of the top two lines to a custom color and use the RGB code (78, 92, 46). Change the font color to white. The light-colored sections should be changed to (224, 224, 258), and the dark-colored lines (i.e., attack lines, the alignment/languages line, and the ability score lines) should be (168, 168, 108). These colors are my own guess and might not be exact, but they look alright to me, and better than some others I've used and seen online.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/4eTutorial/Tutorial4.png
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/4eTutorial/Tutorial5.png

Highlight just the information about each attack (that is, the areas that include the attack bonus, damage, and effects and things like that), and set a hanging indent at 1/8" (using the bottom triangle-shaped thing on the left side of your ruler). Then just go to the first line of each of those sections and hit Tab to align the first line with the rest.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/4eTutorial/Tutorial6.png

Profit! Now you're free to print things up into your very own "official" format!
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/4eTutorial/Tutorial7.png

Bonus Step: If you want to post the stat block you just created but can't use fancy stuff, you just need to take a screenshot (differs by computer, but usually involves a "Prt Scn" key on the keyboard). Once you take the screenshot, paste the image from the clipboard to MS Paint or anything else, crop to where you just have the stat block left, and then save it in your favorite file type (.png, .jpg, etc.). Upload it to the internet via Photobucket or similar websites, and you're all set!

So that's the poor-man's method to creating official-looking 4E monster stat blocks on your own. If you have anything to add, feel free to PM me. As I said, this is going to be a part of a 4E Guide to Homebrewing, so if you have any trouble or any corrections or anything, tell me so I can fix it now rather than later.

RTGoodman
2008-09-23, 01:16 AM
The PDF has been updated again, and the previous now has the complete How to Create 4E Monster Stat Blocks section, including stat blocks on GitP and how I did them for the original post and PDF of this thread.

Hope everyone enjoys it! I've got the Class section, and Feat section of the homebrewing guide it's coming from done, but I've still got PPs, Epic Destinies, Items, and stuff like that before it'll be ready to post.

Dracomortis
2008-09-23, 12:34 PM
Just thought I'd note that the clockwork steed and the spikeshield behemoth both have +50% carrying capacity, and the bloodfin shark has +25%. My reasoning was that extraordinarily bulky creatures (given their size) should have +25% carrying capacity (which stacks with the +25% for being a quadruped, if a mount is both, such as the clockwork steed or your icerime mammoth). This was primarily to help out unusually heavy riders, such as dragonborn, who have difficulty finding low-level mounts that can hold their weight (even with the +50%, the clockwork steed is just barely able to hold a dragonborn and maintain a light load - the dragonborn either has to be carrying nothing on it or it has to be in the very low weight range). We can change that if need be, but I felt that a rationalized increase to carrying capacity was preferable to artificially increasing the mount's Strength score, as the latter would also increase the mount's Fortitude defense.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-23, 06:02 PM
Hope everyone enjoys it! I've got the Class section, and Feat section of the homebrewing guide it's coming from done, but I've still got PPs, Epic Destinies, Items, and stuff like that before it'll be ready to post.

I would love to help with the PP section of your guide, if you'd like.
And I'll prob post a mount (or edit it into this post) by the end of the day.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-23, 09:22 PM
Inspired by Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry, here is the slaug. Would have avoided double-post, but I could not look at your wonderful code and edit simultaneously.

Slaug-TAB--TAB--TAB-Level 16 Brute
Large aberrant beast (mount)-TAB-TAB--TAB-TAB-XP 1,400
Initiative +13-TAB-Senses Perception +13; low-light vision
HP: 194; Bloodied: 97
AC ;30 Fortitude 30, Reflex 28, Will 26
Speed 10
The slaug can move up to its speed and enter enemies’ spaces. This movement provokes opportunity attacks, and the slaug must end its turn in an unoccupied space. When it enters an enemy’s space, it makes the following attack: +17 vs. Reflex; 1d10 +5 damage and the target is knocked prone.
Six-Legged Momentum
The slaug cannot be slowed and gains a +5 bonus to saving throws against being immobilised
Cunning Predator ♦ Mount
When the slaug’s rider makes an opportunity attack, the slaug can shift up to 2 squares as an immediate interrupt to halt the movement of a foe of Large size or smaller with its body.
Skills: +18 Athletics, +20 Endurance

Ecology: Slaugs are giant six-legged carnivorous horse-like creatures with an unnerving amount of intelligence. They use their horn to gore enemies in combat. As a six-legged creature (or hexaped) they can carry (50%?) more weight than a biped with their strength modifier. They use their number of legs in battle very wisely, using them to shift this way and that to block any hope of escape. They are powerful in the open and in close quarters as well. They are typically ridden by Urgachs, a malicious, chaotic and ultimately evil race of brutish warriors. Or something like that (btw, books are highly recommended)

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-26, 09:55 PM
*bump*

Has the cost system been fixed yet?

RTGoodman
2008-09-26, 10:16 PM
Oh, hey - I never saw that you actually posted a mount. Looks good, even if I'm not familiar with the source material! The only thing I see on first glance is that Trample should be a Melee attack rather than a Ranged attack (I think you just left the symbol I had used in the sample/guide). Just change the last part of the IMG URL to Melee instead of Ranged and you should be set.

Regarding prices, I went back and looked at the Adventurer's Vault, and as I originally suspected (and as I started using to price mounts for this thread) mounts are just priced as a magic item of their level.