PDA

View Full Version : EXILE: An OotS-Style ABR Backstory Comic

The Gremlin
2008-08-25, 12:34 PM
AN OOTS-STYLE BACKSTORY COMIC BY THE GREMLIN
Characters:Coming Soon!
Latest Comic:Comic Two. (http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/The__Gremlin/ExileComic2.jpg)
First Comic:Comic 1 (http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/The__Gremlin/ExileComic1.jpg)
Archives:Comic 1 (http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/The__Gremlin/ExileComic1.jpg)
Comic Two. (http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/The__Gremlin/ExileComic2.jpg)
Banners:Coming Soon!
NOTE: I will be using Paint. This is why the artwork might seem sloppy. I should put up about a comic per every other week, but the size may will vary. This comic is best read if you also read Avatar Battle Royale.
Currently dormant until I figure out how to use Inkscape. For real this time.

T-O-E
2008-08-25, 12:45 PM
Hmm, another ABR back-story. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-08-25, 12:55 PM
Ah, a story about the original undead kitten! Good luck, says I. I shall be looking forward to it.

The Gremlin
2008-08-25, 12:57 PM
Ah, a story about the original undead kitten! Good luck, says I. I shall be looking forward to it.

Well, I thought about that, but it'd just be a story about my serving Ovu Monobi. It could be fun, but I decided it'd be better if I made the story about my life.
Also, I'm going to use Rand's style: Post the links to the comics rather than the comics themselves.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-08-25, 01:04 PM
If you haven't already noticed, I have just sent a PM question about your comic, if you don't mind answering it.

The Gremlin
2008-08-25, 01:12 PM
If you haven't already noticed, I have just sent a PM question about your comic, if you don't mind answering it.

I wouldn't mind at all. :smalltongue:

DoomITP
2008-08-25, 07:19 PM
I beg you for a comic

The Gremlin
2008-08-25, 09:08 PM
I beg you for a comic

You beg in vain, I'm afraid. The first comic will, understandably, take a while to draw. It might be a week before your begging pays off.

Nameless
2008-08-26, 02:49 AM
Yay. :smallsmile:

Elrond
2008-08-31, 04:57 AM
I shall also keep my eye on this

Lyinginbedmon
2008-08-31, 05:22 AM
It's usually best to open the thread when you've already done the first page.

Keris
2008-08-31, 07:20 AM
What are you talking about, No-one in webcomics has a buffer. :smalltongue:

The Gremlin
2008-09-01, 12:35 PM
It's usually best to open the thread when you've already done the first page.

Sorry, if I do that than I'll keep putting off the comic.
Unfortunatly, school starts in a few days, and that may make my comics take even longer. I fully intend to get to work, though, and you guys should be able to expect a comic soon.

The Gremlin
2008-09-28, 10:58 AM
Hey guys, sorry it's taken so long, I've had less time to work on comics than I thought. Finally got one done, though. Enjoy/Tolerate.
Comic 1 (http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/The__Gremlin/ExileComic1.jpg)

Green-Shirt Q
2008-09-28, 11:55 AM
Looking good so far. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Nice way to start a comic.

The Gremlin
2008-09-28, 01:05 PM
Looking good so far. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Nice way to start a comic.

Yay! Praise! :smallbiggrin:

The Gremlin
2008-09-30, 07:22 PM
Guys, I'm trying out Inkscape but it's pretty confusing. I won't be doing a comic in a while.

DoomITP
2008-09-30, 07:52 PM
read trazoi's guide. PM me if you have any specifics.

The Gremlin
2008-10-01, 09:25 AM
Inkscape crashes too much. Back to Paint!

Holammer
2008-10-01, 01:28 PM
Inkscape crashes too much. Back to Paint!

What in the world might you be doing with Inkscape to get it to crash? I can't sink Inkscape even if I treat it like a filthy five copper harlot and I've been really pushing it recently.
I'm guessing people with problems have some sort of driver issues. Install the latest video drivers and try the previous full release of inkscape... or just do it with Paint, story and dialogue is king anyway. :smallsmile:

Lyinginbedmon
2008-11-06, 06:28 PM
So I herd you lik mudkip?

Seriously, what happened to this? :smallconfused:

The Gremlin
2008-11-07, 10:07 AM
So I herd you lik mudkip?

Seriously, what happened to this? :smallconfused:

As I've said before, I use Paint. Thus, it takes me a while to get a semi-decent quality. I don't want this comic ending up like Q's.
Since this isn't really ABR, I have an obligation for my art to be a good as possible. I am working on the comic, trust me. I'm almost finished.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-11-07, 03:05 PM
I don't want this comic ending up like Q's.

What's that supposed to mean? :smallannoyed:

Quinsar
2008-11-07, 03:51 PM
It measn that your comics look like you called them in, and took about haf an hour working on them.
Your plot is good, though....

Green-Shirt Q
2008-11-07, 03:58 PM
It measn that your comics look like you called them in, and took about haf an hour working on them.
Your plot is good, though....

I think my art has gotten considerably better since I started, and I figured out all the neat tricks my program has.

If you can endure the first 3 quarters of the story so far, I think my art's pretty damn good.

Quinsar
2008-11-07, 06:06 PM
Saddly Q, I really don't think your art is good.
The leg movement and bending is awful.
Same with the mouth positions ad most of the characte rmodels. They look way too blocky and awkward.
And how youmis in your realistic textures and objects, or copy and paster things, like Bortak, into your own arstyle, makes it look even worse.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-11-07, 06:07 PM
Saddly Q, I really don't think your art is good.
The leg movement and bending is awful.
Same with the mouth positions ad most of the characte rmodels. They look way too blocky and awkward.
And how youmis in your realistic textures and objects, or copy and paster things, like Bortak, into your own arstyle, makes it look even worse.

Well, if that's what you think, that's fine.

*sulks in the corner in silence*

Quinsar
2008-11-07, 06:32 PM
Sorry. But it's what me, and a lot of other people think....

The Gremlin
2008-11-07, 06:39 PM
I think my art has gotten considerably better since I started, and I figured out all the neat tricks my program has.

How about line thickness? :smallannoyed:
However, I don't want to start a big argument. I was just using your comic as an example of a Paint comic that is worse than mine. It makes me feel better about my own crappy artwork. :smallannoyed::smallsmile:
However, you use decent grammar and spelling, you can accept defeat--at least, you can accept that you need to run. When it comes to people stopping you from running, you tend to come up with some desperate, ridiculous and un-sporting explanation (*ahem*ahem*defective bombs*ahem*ahem*)--and your comics are sometimes fairly funny. All in all, I think it balances out.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-11-07, 06:43 PM
How about line thickness? :smallannoyed:
However, I don't want to start a big argument. I was just using your comic as an example of a Paint comic that is worse than mine.

Whu...hu..fuu.....:smalleek:

Listen, I don't use paint. And the line thickness is not my fault! It's the program! It only has three options: none, thin, and painfully thick! It's not my fault!

And what makes it worse? It's just different!

*cries in corner* :smallfrown:

Quinsar
2008-11-07, 06:50 PM
YOu could use two of the thin one pixel lines and put them next to each outher....
Or you could use something else. Like FIreworks or Inkscape....

Green-Shirt Q
2008-11-07, 06:55 PM
YOu could use two of the thin one pixel lines and put them next to each outher....
Or you could use something else. Like FIreworks or Inkscape....

I do that sometimes, but sometimes it looks a little messier.

And I will NOT learn another program ever. Don't ask me why. I have my reasons.

Quinsar
2008-11-07, 06:56 PM
Why not?
It just sounds like you're being stubborn...

Green-Shirt Q
2008-11-07, 07:00 PM
Why not?

Didn't I just tell you not to ask me? :smallannoyed:

Quinsar
2008-11-07, 07:03 PM
Yeah. But I wanna know.
Otherwise you just seem stubborn and kinda bratty. (No offense.... I know you're not, it just seems that way when yu say you won't learn it without giving reason. If you want; PM it to me.)

Green-Shirt Q
2008-11-07, 07:08 PM
Yeah. But I wanna know.
Otherwise you just seem stubborn and kinda bratty. (No offense.... I know you're not, it just seems that way when yu say you won't learn it without giving reason. If you want; PM it to me.)

No. If I seem stubborn and bratty, so be it. :smallannoyed:

Quinsar
2008-11-07, 07:18 PM
Fine.
I'm just saying that your art using Paint 8 is lacking.

Elder Tsofu
2008-11-07, 07:28 PM
Fine.

Well, he isn't :)

Lyinginbedmon
2008-11-07, 07:40 PM
Oh look, a distraction!

Green-Shirt Q
2008-11-07, 07:41 PM
Fine.

Corel Draw PHOTO-PAINT 8! At least have the courtesy not to compare it to Microsoft Paint!

[EDIT] Ninja'd by Lying. I guess we better drop it and be distracted.

The Gremlin
2008-11-07, 09:29 PM
Alright Q, I'm sorry I ever mentioned your name. It was unfair and rude of me. I thought that you used MS, and I see that I was wrong. I apologize. Now lets please end this argument before we get closed.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-11-07, 10:49 PM
Alright Q, I'm sorry I ever mentioned your name. It was unfair and rude of me. I thought that you used MS, and I see that I was wrong. I apologize. Now lets please end this argument before we get closed.

I've already stopped.

Still, I appreciate your comments about my comic. Not much, but still. Apology excepted.

*shakes Gremlin's paw*

Now get working on your latest comic!

The Gremlin
2008-12-10, 10:56 PM
Comic Two. (http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/The__Gremlin/ExileComic2.jpg)
Sorry about the long wait, I intend to stop procrastinating from now on.
To quote Rand:
Questions? Comments? Critique?

Green-Shirt Q
2008-12-11, 07:41 AM
That drow guy looks freakishly skinny and tall.

Just saying.

The Gremlin
2008-12-11, 10:17 AM
That drow guy looks freakishly skinny and tall.

Just saying.
Hooray, beautiful praise!
He's a tall drow. They aren't all short, you know.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-12-11, 03:19 PM
Hooray, beautiful praise!
He's a tall drow. They aren't all short, you know.

Yes, I too know the importance of height difference. He does looks very, almost impossibly skinny, though.

Also, glad to see that you are making comics. I am waiting for the next one with great anticipation.

The Gremlin
2008-12-11, 05:36 PM
Yes, I too know the importance of height difference. He does looks very, almost impossibly skinny, though.

Also, glad to see that you are making comics. I am waiting for the next one with great anticipation.

I prefer the term 'gaunt'. It implies that he is different from other drow.

The Gremlin
2009-01-25, 05:17 PM
Okay, Exile will be put on hold til I finish practicing with Inkscape (for real this time). Stay tuned.:smallcool:
Sorry for the double post, by the way.