PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons & Dragons: Tiny Adventures; or, D&D for Facebook

RTGoodman
2008-08-27, 12:50 AM
(Wasn't sure if this belonged in the RPG section or the Other Games section, but if it's misplaced I'd be much obliged if a mod could move it.)

I was just surfing around Facebook and came across something I'd not seen before - an application called "Dungeons & Dragons: Tiny Adventures" that lets you pick one of 8 race-class combinations and do solo D&D adventures. The cool thing? As far as I can tell, it's actually put out by Wizards of the Coast.

If anyone's interested, here's a screenshot of the application:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/rtg0922/TinyAdventures.png
(Yes, my Dwarf character's name is Durkon. I couldn't come up with anything cooler when I had to pick one, and you can't change it.)

The basis of the game seems to be that you just pick your character and then pick an adventure, and then every 12 minutes a new event happens in that adventure. All you do is click the a button that pops up after that time and the encounter summary comes up and tells you how you did. I haven't gotten far enough to see if there's any more interaction than just clicking "Update Event" or whatever, but I did manage rescue a boy from under a tree or something by "rolling" a natural 20 on a Strength check and then hitch a ride by rolling a succesful Cha check! :smallbiggrin:

If you've got Facebook, it might be something to check out. I've got a couple other (non-Playgrounder) friends that are doing so, and by the looks of the leaderboards there are a lot of people that have been playing.

(Also, feel free to add me (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=22213929) as a friend, because apparently friends can heal you for free despite it being a single-player game [as far as I can tell].)

Duos Greanleef
2008-08-27, 12:56 AM
Pretty snazzy.
I'll be adding you shortly.:smallsmile:

Edit:
The concept sounds cool, but the only thing I got to pick was a character and an adventure. I've had no choice in my character's actions.
If I were on a real solo adventure and saw something at the top of a hill in the middle of the night, I'd probably leave it be, not chase after it and randomly fail a CON check...
It basically tells you a story. It's not really playing a game.
:frown:

snoopy13a
2008-08-27, 01:16 AM
Looks like a nice little program there. It probably is legit and is a clever way of advertising. Get people fooling around on that and get them curious about buying the game.

Gralamin
2008-08-27, 01:20 AM
It is an official program. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080820)

That said, I don't have facebook and don't plan on having it. I don't see a point of a game that I don't have any real interaction with, or the ability to make combat decisions.

Starbuck_II
2008-08-27, 06:55 AM
Yoiu can drink a potion while adventuring.

At levels 1-2, always bring a potion. Getting hurt sucks. And sometimes a success just lowers the amount taken.

I find the Warlords more above aveage stats better than the Clerics: really good Wisdom. Cleric specializes; while Warlord generalizes.

Because each dungeon/afventure has different key stats (some AC, some Attack roll, Some Ability) occur more often used.

You heal naturally after adventures every 10 or so minutes a hp I think.
My Dwarf Warlord is better than my Cleric felt.

loopy
2008-08-27, 08:50 AM
My halfling rogue has been going for about 6 hours now, died twice, and generally rolled miserably. This is the exact opposite of my IRL rogue's luck with dice.

ghost_warlock
2008-08-27, 08:54 AM
Okay, I'm really kind of annoyed that I can't equip/use a potion I bought because I'm on an adventure...and even though it's a multi-part adventure to different places I can't stop by home and pick up my potion between segments.

I keep losing hp in 2-4's...I feel like my warlock is being hacked to pieces very slowly and there's nothing I can do.

Also, I keep getting magical shields and heavy armor as treasure. USELESS!

Edit: Okay, so I was successful on my first adventure, ending with a whopping 2hp. Now all I have to do is wait for my health to regenerate and figure out how the heck to equip the healing potions I bought and I can go on my second adventure...

Yakk
2008-08-27, 09:18 AM
Don't play this game. The server is having load issues, which means you'll just make my playing the game happen slower!

Yes, this is a game in the sense of ProgressQuest. About the only things you can do is:
1> Pick what equipment to wear,
2> Pick what items to buy,
3> Pick when to drink potions (note: story events are constant, so if you know that the last event of the Forest adventure you are on is an int contest, drinking an Int potion might be a good idea)
4> Buff friends (which is a no-brainer)

That, and you can read the story that your character goes on. There are some funny bits.

Starbuck_II
2008-08-27, 10:38 AM
Don't play this game. The server is having load issues, which means you'll just make my playing the game happen slower!

Yes, this is a game in the sense of ProgressQuest. About the only things you can do is:
1> Pick what equipment to wear,
2> Pick what items to buy,
3> Pick when to drink potions (note: story events are constant, so if you know that the last event of the Forest adventure you are on is an int contest, drinking an Int potion might be a good idea)
4> Buff friends (which is a no-brainer)

That, and you can read the story that your character goes on. There are some funny bits.

True the ending quest is usually the same.
But than there are the rare encounters: like the Lost Sheep, Meeting fellow Adventures in a drinking game (I won that one), etc. They have the rare tag on them.

I can't for the life of me beat the Drow's fortress. Always losing final battle (tried twice with Dwarf).

The New Bruceski
2008-08-27, 02:20 PM
I keep losing hp in 2-4's...I feel like my warlock is being hacked to pieces very slowly and there's nothing I can do.

I would LOVE to lose hp in 2-4s. At level 8 I tend to lose 15+ when I fail. And I have about 70 hp. No more being hacked to pieces slowly.

Plugh
2008-10-19, 03:26 PM
The game is a little more interactive than you're giving it credit for. You can choose gear mid-stream and choose when to use an equipped potion. If you've played a few times, you can get to know what stat the last encounter will use and gear up accordingly. Or you can read the link in the spoiler below and see what all of the encounters hold in store.
http://dndta.wikia.com/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_Tiny_Adventures

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-19, 03:59 PM
In any case, it has changed a lot since it's release. Still a huge time sink, but kind of fun.

Also:
http://www.game-warden.com/starfox/Non_SF_related_stuff/JS47/Thread_Necromancy.jpg

Starbuck_II
2008-10-19, 04:23 PM
Agreed, the loading issues are gone.

They even added gernerations/Swordmage.

Asbestos
2008-10-19, 04:44 PM
I would try this out... But I'm a closeted D&D player and I'm not about to out myself to all my college friends!!!

The New Bruceski
2008-10-19, 05:29 PM
I would try this out... But I'm a closeted D&D player and I'm not about to out myself to all my college friends!!!

You can game if you want to. You can leave those friends behind. 'cause your friends don't game, and if they don't game then they're no friends of mine.

Totally Guy
2008-10-19, 05:32 PM
I've got a level 5 Dragonborn Warlock with very cool armour. He was given it by a level 11 Half Elf paladin which was my previous character.

Edit: I've just realised that Dragonborn Warlock might be the best race/class combo to represent my avatar. Or Staff mastery Wizard. Maybe I'll dragonborn-up my avatar... but then I'll lose the tail...

Starbuck_II
2008-10-19, 06:15 PM
You can game if you want to. You can leave those friends behind. 'cause your friends don't game, and if they don't game then they're no friends of mine.

That was a good one. Have a cookie.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-19, 10:51 PM
i've been playing it a bit... dice rolls are a bit extreme... i've had 4 1's, and eight 19's

hahaha... typical example of my luck:

...only minor scrapes and bruises.

Bobo the clown took 9 damage.

thats for a 22hp lvl1 PC.... yeah... "minor scrapes and bruises"... ok

jebmak
2008-12-17, 03:07 AM
If you enjoy adventures like this, or want one that is more interactive, you might like my website, linked in my sig.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-12-17, 03:43 AM
Wow, Thread Necromancy for a plug? That's a new one on me. :smalltongue:

http://www.game-warden.com/starfox/Non_SF_related_stuff/JS47/Thread_Necromancy.jpg

Charity
2008-12-17, 03:55 AM
Twice damned thread DIe Die begone to whence you came (twice) this must be a record.

http://www.thearchetypalconnection.com/images/VampireCrossB&W.jpg

Oracle_Hunter
2008-12-17, 03:57 AM
Twice damned thread DIe Die begone to whence you came (twice) this must be a record.

Ha! I didn't even realize I had noted the Necromancy before.

I should have just quoted myself :smalltongue:

BobVosh
2008-12-17, 05:39 AM
Ha! I didn't even realize I had noted the Necromancy before.

I should have just quoted myself :smalltongue:

quote'd

The first time wasn't necromancy though. Only 2 months after creation, technically still allowed. (3 months + more than 10 pages deep IIRC)

toasty
2008-12-17, 05:44 AM
so... i can't figure out how to add this app to my facebook...

Is there a link or something?

edit: found it...