PDA

View Full Version : A few 4th Edition Feats

ntin
2008-08-28, 05:03 PM
Hello, I have been lurking these forums for a while but decided to make the plunge and register. I am kind of disappointed with the lack of 4th feats since each PC gets so many now. In particular the single Paladin feat which is quasi useful depending on what stats you have. Any who curious of the forum goers think.

Heroic Tier Feats

Daunting Challenge [Paladin]

Prerequisites: Cha 15, Paladin, Divine Challenge class feature

Benefit: When using your Divine Challenge class feature you may challenge up to two different targets instead of just one.

Mighty Challenge [Paladin]

Prerequisites: Str 14, Paladin, Divine Challenge class feature

Benefit: When using your Divine Challenge class feature use your Strength modifier instead of your Charisma modifier.

Awesome Smite [Paladin]

Perquisites: Divine Challenge class feature

Benefit: When you score a critical hit while using a Smite encounter power against a foe that is marked by your Divine Challenge, that enemy is dazed until the start of your next turn.

Starsinger
2008-08-28, 06:28 PM
What's a "Smite" power?

As for that, I like this. Charisma paladins are still better at Tanking, but now Strength paladins aren't bad at it.

Nightblade
2008-08-28, 06:43 PM
What's a "Smite" power?

That was my first thought upon reading it. Perhaps when using an encounter power that deals radiant damage?

Mighty Challenge, in keeping with the other pre-requisites as far as ability scores, would likely carry a Str 15.

Daunting Challenge makes me start to think of World of Warcraft AoE Tanking for Paladins... /facepalm But in actuality, I like the feat. I think it would be a little better if you reduced the amount of damage it dealt per target if targeting multiple creatures. Otherwise, perhaps a Paragon tier feat, but allow it to "Power Attack" in a way amongst various creatures?

You normally deal (3 + Cha) damage when a creature makes an attack that doesn't include you as a target. You can target two creatures, but for each extra creature that you target using Daunting Challenge, you take a penalty on the damage dealt equal to the number of creatures over that which you are challenging. Thus, if you want to target up to four creatures with Daunting Challenge, the damage is equal to [(3 + Cha) - 3]. You could, also, reduce the penalty to attack rolls, but it seems unnecessary. There is an innate penalty to targeting multiple creatures with this ability, that being getting attacked by all of them. Sure, you can make sure that eight creatures attack you instead of the Wizard, Cleric, Rogue (for example), but how long can you keep it up? Hope you've got a shield, Toughness, and plenty of Healing Surges.

(Note: I haven't played 4th edition but have been told that I have a good head for rules, please take what I have to say with a grain of salt.)

ntin
2008-08-28, 09:08 PM
What's a "Smite" power?

As for that, I like this. Charisma paladins are still better at Tanking, but now Strength paladins aren't bad at it.

Smites are a series of Paladin melee range encounter powers, Fearsome Smite, Shielding Smite, Staggering Smite, Thundering Smite, Terrifying Smite, etc.

That was my first thought upon reading it. Perhaps when using an encounter power that deals radiant damage?

Mighty Challenge, in keeping with the other pre-requisites as far as ability scores, would likely carry a Str 15.

Daunting Challenge makes me start to think of World of Warcraft AoE Tanking for Paladins... /facepalm But in actuality, I like the feat. I think it would be a little better if you reduced the amount of damage it dealt per target if targeting multiple creatures. Otherwise, perhaps a Paragon tier feat, but allow it to "Power Attack" in a way amongst various creatures?

You normally deal (3 + Cha) damage when a creature makes an attack that doesn't include you as a target. You can target two creatures, but for each extra creature that you target using Daunting Challenge, you take a penalty on the damage dealt equal to the number of creatures over that which you are challenging. Thus, if you want to target up to four creatures with Daunting Challenge, the damage is equal to [(3 + Cha) - 3]. You could, also, reduce the penalty to attack rolls, but it seems unnecessary. There is an innate penalty to targeting multiple creatures with this ability, that being getting attacked by all of them. Sure, you can make sure that eight creatures attack you instead of the Wizard, Cleric, Rogue (for example), but how long can you keep it up? Hope you've got a shield, Toughness, and plenty of Healing Surges.

(Note: I haven't played 4th edition but have been told that I have a good head for rules, please take what I have to say with a grain of salt.)

For the purposes of being the “tank” a Fighter can apply marks easier then the Paladin by using the Cleave At-Will power, regardless of a Fighter’s successful attack to mark multiple enemies. On paper the Fighter’s Combat Challenge is not as powerful as the Paladin’s Divine Challenge because it lacks the automatic damage when broken. The Fighter Combat Challenge does allow for better control over the enemy by generating opportunity attacks when an enemy shifts as well as when an enemy attacks another target. Meaning once the enemy is adjacent to the Fighter it is often stuck there because the provoked attack on hit will cancel that action. For the Paladin there is no penalty if the target attempts to shift away, or if the Paladin cannot make contact with the target.

Like you said he can challenge half dozen monsters at once but that is a lot of damage funneled to the Paladin alone. This is all fine and good for the Fighter who has a healthy selection of feats to assist in monster control. The 4th edition Paladin has a much more going for them mechanic wise but lacks the feats to better define their role.