PDA

View Full Version : GITP Monster Competition XXV - Urban Legends (Vote Now!)

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-01, 02:27 AM
Urban Legends

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/AwakenedDreamer/RandomStuff/UrbanLegend2.jpg

I dwell in the city and the city dwells in me. ~ Juhani Pallasma

Towns and cities are by their nature places where beings congregate. Though artificial it is in no way less a habitat for that and creatures of all types are attracted to these locales. They may slink through the alleys, crawl through the sewers, or even blend in amongst the builders, mimicking their lifestyles and ways. Wherever they are to be found they have learned to exploit their niche of brick and mortar, attic and drain. You have the key to the city, what creations shall you unlock?

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will continue until Midnight of September 20th (EST).

Soon after a poll will be opened for everyone to vote for their favorite that will last until midnight of the last day of the month.

Rules

1. You will be creating an 'original' D&D monster. A creature of the city in whatever way you wish to interpret. It can be a normal city, an underground city, city of heaven or hell, whatever, and keep in mind Sigil is a city that's been around since the beginning of the planes. The entry just has to be an exclusive urbanite.

Example
Alley Wolf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10884)
Gremlin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3410950&postcount=9)
Llymha (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40549)

2. The entry must include name, complete stat-block, physical description, basic background information, and detailed combat behavior if any. A plot hook or similar in addition is optional. Incomplete entries will be disqualified upon the deadline.

3. Entries must be 3.5 edition, using the standard format listed below (not that new one seen in the Monster Manual IV, except for a lore section which is encouraged).

4. Post all entries on this thread. Do not post conversation here. Any and All Comments and discussions will take place on a separate thread here (this is a link) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1499183).

5. One entry per participant. No double-teaming.

6. Entries copied from some other source (splatbook, alternate website, etc) will be disqualified. All entries must be a new creation, not one already posted. Merely adding class levels or templates to an already published or posted creature does not count as a new monster.

7. No reserving posts. Feel free to post a creature and tweak it, but you have to have the basic beast already done.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Add a banner to your signature!
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/AwakenedDreamer/RandomStuff/BannerXXV.jpg (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89675)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/AwakenedDreamer/RandomStuff/BannerXXV.jpg (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89675)

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-01, 09:02 AM
Vorpal Tribble's Guide To Making Monsters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43009)

As well, here is the standard 3.5 monster format. Only complete entries will be accepted. If there are any questions feel free to ask me or post queries in the GITP Contest Chat Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1499183).

-=-=-=-

Name

<Size> <Type>
Hit Dice:
Initiative:
Speed: (# squares)
Armor Class: (), touch, flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple:
Attack:
Full Attack:
Space/Reach:
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities:
Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
Abilities: Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
Skills:
Feats:
Environment:
Organization:
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
Alignment:
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

Description/background/characteristics

Combat

Ability descriptions

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Lore

Plot Hook/Story if any

BisectedBrioche
2008-09-03, 07:47 AM
My first diary entry (In my new diary!)
I've just arrived in my new home. Thank god I got off that farm. Mother was upset that I didn't settle down with someone closer to home, I mean Duilio's cute, and he's a nice guy but he's a druid. I don't want to spend the rest of my life helping him in his "war on forest fires" and watching grass grow. I start my job as a barmaid tomorrow, I'm sure I'll meet all sort of interesting people.

My next diary entry!
My new bosses, Mr and Mrs Thanatos are a little strange. They spend most of the time in the storerooms working on something. The bar patrons are a little strange too. I had a few good conversations, but none of them really seemed to be that interested in anything. I remember Linna was always being chatted up and having to ask customers to look her in the eye, hahaha. Maybe everyone's just being polite because I'm new here.

Also, I'm sure I saw a ghost in the corner of my eye. Maybe the tavern's haunted, how exciting!

Diary Entry 3
It was a slow day today. The patrons were even duller than yesterday. I'm running out of pink ink, so I'll have to start using black ink like everyone else. I suppose that its cheaper anyway. I think I saw more ghosts, but they aren't that intersting.

Diary Entry 4
Nothing interesting happened. Mrs Thanatos said I was doing well. That's good.

Journal 5
The weekend's here. Its getting boring, I have to give up on this diary, its a waste of time. I think I'll go to work in the morning anyway. Turns out the ghosts work for the Thanatos', nothing speacial.- Excerpts from a diary, owner unknown

Spirit of Dullness
Size/Type: Medium Undead (Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 7d12 (45 hp)
Initiative: 0
Speed: 30ft. (6 squares), fly 30ft. (Perfect)
Armor Class: 12, touch 11, flat-footed 12 (+2 deflection)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d6+2)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +4 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Touch of Apathy, Dull Yawn
Special Qualities: Dull Fog, Enslave, Turn Resistance
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 10, Con —, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 14
Environment: Urban
Organization: Solitary, group (2-3), Mist (4-8)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Large urban areas can be dull places. Thousands of people inhabit them yet its still possible to be isolated. People can travel to their jobs and see the same faces for decades and still view them as nothing more than a stranger. Never striking up a conversation, never exchanging pleasantries and never even as much as giving a smile. Some evil mages have taken advantage of this, binding the would-be-departed spirits of those who have lived such lives to the material plane and using them to create servants as mindlessly loyal and ferocious as zombies, but much more cunning.

Spirits of Dullness are the souls of those who led relatively uninteresting lives, with every day consisting of the same old chores and job. They mindlessly seek to make other lives equally as dull, draining enthusiasm and will from those that inhabit the areas they haunt. They are often controlled by necromancers who use them to create groups of loyal slaves to use in tasks which zombies would be too obvious or mindless to use.

A Spirit of Dullness looks much as it did in life, but translucent and much plainer. Hair becomes cropped or shoulder length (as gender appropriate) and they appear to be clothed in simple, everyday clothing which appears worn in but not in bad condition. Compared to a ghost, a Spirit of Dullness appears much greyer than the eerie white of the former. Unlike a ghost, a Spirit of Dullness is always manifested on the material plane.

Touch of Apathy (Su) Every time a Spirit of Dullness succeeds on a touch attack it deals 1d6 points of damage (it may apply its strength modifier to ethereal opponents, however). The target must also make a DC 12 will save or suffer 1d4 points of charisma damage and a single point of charisma drain. As a Spirit of Dullness drain charisma, the target becomes sluggish and apathetic, almost zombie-like. If they have half or less of their original charisma score left, they take a -2 penalty to all skill untrained checks except concentration, to which they gain a +2 bonus (whether they have ranks in it or not), they also take a -2 penalty to all spot and listen checks (untrained or not). This attack may never reduce a targets charisma to 0.

Dull Yawn (Su) As a standard action a Spirit of Dullness may emit a loud yawn. Any creature within 30ft. must make a will save (DC 12, this DC is charisma based) or become fatigued for 2d4 rounds. Anyone who makes their save is immune to that Spirit of Dullness' Dull Yawn for 24 hours.

Dull Fog (Su) Any area (of up to 100ft. cubed) the Spirit of Dullness inhabits for more than 3 hours becomes filled with a faint mist. Any creature who stays in this mist must make a will save (DC 12, this DC is charisma based) every hour or suffer 1 point of charisma drain. Anyone in this fog pays less attention to their surroundings and takes a -2 penalty to all spot and listen checks. The fog fades after 12 hours if the Spirit of Dullness leaves the area.

Enslave (Su) Any creature which is reduced to 1 point of charisma by the Dull Fog or Touch of Apathy will mindlessly follow the same daily routine, abandoning pursuits which can't be repeated perfectly (e.g. seeing plays, writing a journal). A Spirit of Dullness may command anyone so affected to fight with it if they are nearby. Anyone controlling a Spirit of Dullness may give orders to its victims as if they were under a dominate person spell, however they count as undead (even though they are still alive) in regards to their maximum HD of controllable undead. Anyone who dies in this state of servitude returns 1d6 days later as another Spirit of Dullness and begins searching for an area to haunt.

Turn Resistance (Su) A Spirit of Dullness has +4 turn resistance.

Combat

Once a Spirit of Dullness has settled in an area and enslaved all the people who live or frequante it, it will attack any "outsiders" on sight. It will usually do this passively, slowly draining the victim's charisma, taking advantage of their increasing apathy. If it is caught then it will use its yawn before having any nearby enslaved victims attack, it will fight alongside them and won't stop until it or its target(s) are dead.

A controlled Spirit of Dullness (and its thralls) will do whatever its master tells them to.

Lore

{TABLE]DC|Lore

15|This is a Spirit of Dullness, the ghost of someone who was particularly boring in life. They slowly make the people around them boring and complacent.
25|They are able to control those they make complacent enough. Those controlled will mindlessly carry out their daily routines and fight along side it, if so commanded.
30|This control passes on to anyone who is able to command the spirit.[/TABLE]

Plot Hooks

The PCs arrive in a city which seems unusually dull. Attempts to make new contacts meet with indifference and they themselves are feeling rather sluggish...
The newly appointed mayor of the PC's city has become complacent and uncaring, exactly the qualities which caused his predecessor to be assassinated. The PCs are hired to get to the root of the problem. Little do they know that the former mayor has returned as an undead creature to spread his boredom.
One of the PCs inherits a house from a reclusive relative who recently passed away. They soon start to suspect that it may be haunted.

DracoDei
2008-09-11, 06:35 PM
Nota Bene: The Gargantuan and collosal ones aren't done, and so those size classes should not be considered for purposed of the contest per se, I am leaving them in mostly just so that they will be the most availible for me to finish up later.

Smokey Floater
Diminutive and Tiny Smokey Floaters

{table="head"]~| Smokey Floater, Diminutive | Smokey Floater, Tiny
Size and Type |Diminutive Elemental (Air, Fire*, Extraplanar)|Tiny Elemental (Air, Fire*, Extraplanar)
HD | 1/2 d8-1 (1 hp) | 1d8-1 (3 hp)
Speed | Fly 30 ft. (8 squares, perfect) | Fly 40 ft. (8 squares, perfect)
Init | +3 | +3
AC |17 (+4 size, +3 dex), touch 17, flat-footed 12|15 (+2 size, +3 dex), touch 15, flat-footed 12
BAB | +0 | +0
Grp | -12 | -8?
Attack | Slam +7 melee (1d2-3) | Slam +5 melee (1d3-1)
Full Attack | Slam +7 melee (1d2-3) | Slam +5 melee (1d3-1)
Space/Reach | 2 1/2 ft./0 ft. | 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks | Smoke Inhalation | Smoke Inhalation
Special Qualities|Smoke Form, DR 5/Metal, Stone, or Water, elemental traits, Cold Tolerance|Smoke Form, DR 5/Metal, Stone, or Water, elemental traits, Cold Tolerence
Saves | Fort -1, Ref +5, Will +1 | Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities | Str 4, Dex 17, Con 8, Int 4, Wis 13, Cha 9 |Str 8, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 11
Skills | Tumble +5, Listen +3 | Tumble +5, Listen +3
Feats |Dodge, Weapon Finesse (B)|Dodge, Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment |Urban, Volcanic, Forest Fire, or Elemental Plane of Fire|Urban, Volcanic, Forest Fire, or Elemental Plane of Fire
Organization | Solitary? |Solitary?
Challenge Rating |1/2?|1?
Treasure |10% chance of Flint and Steel|Special
Alignment |Usually True Neutral, Never Good|Usually True Neutral, Never Good
Advancement |-|-
Level Adjustment |~|~[/table]
* Although their relationship to fire makes them immune to being injured by it, and effects how certain spells and domain abilities work in relation to them, Smokey Floaters take no additional damage from [Cold] spells and effects.

Small to Large Smokey Floaters

{table="head"]~| Smokey Floater, Small | Smokey Floater, Medium | Smokey Floater, Large
Size and Type | Small Elemental (Air, Fire*, Extraplanar) | Medium Elemental (Air, Fire*, Extraplanar) | Large Elemental (Air, Fire*, Extraplanar)
HD | 2d8 (13 hp) | 4d8+12 (32 hp) | 8d8+32 (68 hp)
Speed | Fly 50 ft. (10 squares, perfect) | Fly 50 ft. (10 squares, perfect) |Fly 50 ft. (10 squares, perfect)
Init | +3 | +5 | +7
AC | 14 (+1 size, +3 dex), touch 14, flat-footed 11 | 12 (+5 Dex); touch 12; flat-footed 10 |12 (+7 Dex, -1 size, +1 natural); touch 11; flat-footed 10|12 (+3 Dex, -2 size, +1 natural); touch 11; flat-footed 21|23 (+4 Dex, -2 size, +11 natural); touch 12; flat-footed 21|23 (+4 Dex, -2 size, +13 natural); touch 12; flat-footed 23
BAB | +1 | +3 | +6
Grp | -4 | +3 | +11
Attack | Slam +5 melee (1d4-1) | Slam +8 melee (1d6) | Slam +12 melee (2d6+1)
Full Attack | Slam +5 melee (1d4-1) | Slam +8 melee (1d6) | 2 Slams +12 melee (2d6+1)
Space/Reach | 5 ft./5 ft. | 5 ft./5 ft. | 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks | Smoke Inhalation | Smoke Inhalation | Smoke Inhalation
Special Qualities|Smoke Form, DR 5/Metal, Stone, or Water, elemental traits, Cold Tolerance|Smoke Form, DR 5/Metal, Stone, or Water, elemental traits, Cold Tolerance|Smoke Form, Damage Reduction 5/-, Damage Reduction 15/Metal, Stone, or Water, elemental traits, Cold Tolerance
Saves | Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +1 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2 | Fort +5, Ref +11, Will +3
Abilities | Str 8, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 13 | Str 10, Dex 21, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 13 | Str 12, Dex 25, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 13
Skills | Tumble +6, Listen +3|Tumble +9, Listen +4 | Tumble +11, Listen +5, Spot +4 | Tumble +17, Listen +8, Spot +6
Feats | Dodge, Weapon Finesse (B) | Dodge, Fly-by Attack, Weapon Finesse (B) | Dodge, Mobility, Fly-by Attack, Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment | Urban, Volcanic, Forest Fire, or Elemental Plane of Fire| Urban, Volcanic, Forest Fire, or Elemental Plane of Fire|Urban, Volcanic, Forest Fire, or Elemental Plane of Fire
Organization | Solitary? | Solitary? | Solitary|
Challenge Rating | 2? | 5? | 7?
Treasure | 10% chance of Flint and Steel | Special (See Below) | Special (See Below)
Alignment | Usually True Neutral, Never Good | Usually True Neutral, Never Good |Usually True Neutral, Never Good|Usually True Neutral, Never Good|Usually True Neutral, Never Good|Usually True Neutral, Never Good
Advancement | 3 HD (Small) | 5-6 HD (Medium) |9-15 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment|~|~|~[/table]
* Although their relationship to fire makes them immune to being injured by it, and effects how certain spells and domain abilities work in relation to them, Smokey Floaters take no additional damage from [Cold] spells and effects.

Huge to Colossal Smokey Floaters

{table="head"]~ | Smokey Floater, Huge | Smokey Floater, Gargantuan |Smokey Floater, Colossal
Size and Type | Huge Elemental (Air, Fire*, Extraplanar) | Gargantuan Elemental (Air, Fire*, Extraplanar) |Colossal Elemental (Air, Fire*, Extraplanar)
HD | 16d8+64 (136 hp) | 32d8+128 (272 hp) | 64d8+256 (544 hp)
Speed | Fly 60 ft. (12 squares, perfect) | Fly 100 ft. (20 squares, perfect) |Fly 150 ft. (30 squares, perfect)
Init | +9 | +10 | +11
AC | 18 (+9 Dex, -2 size, +1 natural); touch 17; flat-footed |21 (+10 Dex, -4 size, +5 natural); touch 16; flat-footed 11|18 (+11 Dex, -8 size, +5 natural); touch 13; flat-footed 7
BAB | +12 | +24 | +48
Grp | +23 | +40 | +69
Attack | Slams +19 melee (2d8+3) | Slams +30 melee (3d8+4) | Slams + melee (6d6+5)
Full Attack | 2 Slams +19 melee (2d8+3) | 2 Slams +30 melee (3d8+4) | 2 Slams + melee (6d6+5)
Space/Reach | 15 ft./15 ft | 20 ft./ 20 ft. | 30 ft./ 30 ft.
Special Attacks | Smoke Inhalation | Smoke Inhalation | Smoke Inhalation
Special Qualities|Smoke Form, Damage Reduction 5/-, Damage Reduction 15/Metal, Stone, or Water, elemental traits| Smoke Form, Damage Reduction 10/-, Damage Reduction 15/Metal, Stone, or Water, elemental traits|Smoke Form, Damage Reduction 10/-, Damage Reduction 20/Magic AND (Metal, Stone, OR Water), elemental traits
Saves | Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +1 | Fort +16, Ref +20, Will +14 |Fort +27, Ref +45, Will +25
Abilities | Str 16, Dex 29, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 9 | Str 18, Dex 31, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8 |Str 20, Dex 33, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 8
Skills | Tumble +17, Listen +8, Spot +5 | Listen +20, Spot +19 |Intimidate +19, Listen +27, Spot +26
Feats|Dodge, Mobility, Fly-by Attack, Improved Initiative, Alertness, Improved Fly-by Attack, Weapon Finesse(B)|???, Cleave, Great Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Power Attack, Improved Fly-by Attack, Improved Initiative, Improved Critical(Slam), Iron Will, Weapon Focus (slam), Weapon Finesse(B)|Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (slam), Improved Initiative, Improved Critical (slam), Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Fly-by Attack, Combat Reflexes, Great Fortitude, ???x3, Improved Unarmed Strike, Deflect Arrows, Infinite Deflection, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Natural Attack (slam), Awesome Blow, Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment | Urban, Volcanic, Forest Fire, or Elemental Plane of Fire | Urban, Volcanic, Forest Fire, or Elemental Plane of Fire |Urban, Volcanic, Forest Fire, or Elemental Plane of Fire
Organization | Solitary | Solitary | Solitary
Challenge Rating | 7? | 11? | 18?
Treasure | Special (see Below) | Special (see Below) | Special (see Below)
Alignment | Usually True Neutral, Never Good | Usually True Neutral, Never Good | Usually True Neutral, Never Good
Advancement | 17-31 HD (Huge) | 32-63 HD (Gargantuan) | 65+ HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment | ~ | ~ | ~[/table]

Smokey Floaters speak Auran and Ignan, those with Integences of 12 or above usually speak the most common language of the urban area they live above.

Originally native to the Elemental Plane of Fire, near its boarder with the Elemental Plane of Air, this species was once rare in the extreme, partially due to the fact that while fire was, of course, common in that region, it was extremely clean-burning fire for the most part. For this reason most of this species long ago migrated by various means to the material plane where they could find the smoke they subsist on more easily.

Waste precipitates out as heavy soot, which can actually be more problematic(at least if it hasn't rained lately) for the lungs of urbanites as it settles to the buildings and streets below, but does have the advantage of being able to be cleaned up by mundane means, and washing more completely in the rain. In any case, cities with a large Smokey Floater population have much better veiws of the skies than those with none.

Although their affiliation of Air sets the in opposition to the element of Earth and causes them to dislike subterrainian environments, their ability purify air is especially valuible in cities deep below the surface, since it negates the need for extensive chimneys. Such chimneys are not only a lot of work to create, but also form an additional point of entry for sufficiently equiped or naturally immune enemies. Some dwarves entice them to their deeper dwellings with contracts garunteeing a steady supply of smoke, along with specific regular rations of exotic incenses. The elves of the underdark have been known to keep them prisoner on occasion, although their ability to turn gaseous makes this problematic to arrange to say the least.

Smokey Floaters personalities are heavily influenced, although by no means rigidly determined, by their present size which can vary based on how much they eat. Given ideal conditions (a raging forestfire covering at least a square mile, or a decent sized volcano in full smoke and nearing or in erruption) they can gain up to 1 HD an hour. With no smoke at all they generally loose about 1 HD a day for ones of Huge or larger size, 1 HD every three days for ones of Medium or Large size, or 1 HD per week for Small or smaller. Tiny and Smaller ones are starving, weakened by hunger, and desperate for any source of sustainance, they will follow even a carried torch around like a puppy and will fight (or flee) with all the grim determination of an alleycat defending some scrap it has found. They may turn to arson in some cases. Such pathetic individuals are usually lost in the wilderness or have been displaced from any decent territory above a settlement by others of their kind. Sometimes a lone smokey floater above a thorp during warm weather may sink to this level as fires are used only for cooking. Small and Medium ones are the most common, generally living simple lives, grazing from chimneys, each with their own territory. Large ones are voracious, and can turn violent if their source(s) of smoke are threatened, they generally are found above busy forges, kilns, and other large furnaces. Huge and Larger ones are drunk on power and hunger for even more, growing more beastial and agressive the larger they get. Even those with Ever Smoking Bottles may often be tempted into risking the ire of others by setting the largest fires they can manage, as often as possible.

Smoke Form (Su)
When it wishes to a Smokey Floater can become more or less solid (with the statistics listed above), but its most natural state is actually a smoke form. It can switch forms once per round as a free action and can spend as long as it wishes in either form. The ability is otherwise similar to a Gaseous Form spell (caster level equal to hitdice, minium 5) with the following exceptions

Flight speed is unchanged
Dispel Magic, Anti-Magic Field, and even Mage's Disjunction do not cause a form change. An Anti-Magic Field does, however prevent a Smokey Floater from changing forms, and negate the Damage Reduction granted by that effect.
Gargantuan and Collosal Smokey Floaters gain DR 20/Epic instead of DR 10/Magic.

Smoke Inhalation (Su)
A Smokey Floater in smoke form (see above) can engulf opponents by moving on top of them. It fills the air around one or more opponents, each of whom must be to 3 size catagories larger than it or smaller, without provoking an attack of opportunity. The target must succeed on a Fortitude save with DC given on the following table or inhale part of the creature. The save DC is constitution-based and includes a +3 racial bonus. An affected creature can attempt another Fortitude save each subsequent round to cough out the semivaporous menace, but the DC increases by +1 per previous check. If they fail they spend that round choking and coughing. A character who chokes for 2 or more consecutive rounds takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. A character who chokes for a number of consecutive rounds equal to half his constitution score also takes 1 point of constitution damage each round from carbon monoxide and other toxins. Creatures immune to poison, but which still need to breath, take only the subdual damage, not the constitution damage. Delay Poison has no effect, but Remove Poison, Heal, Detoxify(Eberron), and other spells that remove poison force the Smokey Floater to make a will save (DC as if the spell in question were an offensive spell) for each creature it is currently in the lungs of or be expelled from that creature. There is no effect on a successful save.
Size|Initial DC
Diminutive |12
Tiny |13
Small |14
Medium |17
Large |20
Huge |25
Gargantuan |33
Collossal |49

Cold Tolerance(Ex)
Smokey Floaters of Large or smaller size can be quite comfortable even in the skies over alpine villages. They are as well protected from mundane cold as if they had a Protection from Elements spell on them. In addition (as noted in several other places and regardless of size), their fire nature does NOT cause them to take extra damage from cold.

Treasure
Most Smokey Floaters never really fully trust the idea of coinage, and certainly have no intrensic attraction to metals or art, or even magic items (with a few key exceptions). In fact the only things they would consider worth holding on to for the long-term are items that can serve as a food source in case of a slack day or some catastrophy. Use the following tables to determine what objects they carry.

~ |Diminutive | Tiny | Small
1-10|Flint and Steel| Flint and Steel |Tinderbox, Flint and Steel
11-25| - |Tinderbox, Flint and Steel| -
26-100| - | - | -

~ | Medium | Large | Huge | Gargantuan |Colossal
1-10| Tinderbox, Flint and Steel | Tinderbox, Flint and Steel, 1d3-1 Smoke Sticks | Tinderbox, Flint and Steel, 2d6 Smoke Sticks | Tinderbox, Flint and Steel, 4d6 Smoke Sticks in waterproof Container |Ever-Smoking Bottle
11-27| Tinderbox, Flint and Steel, 32 Lbs of firewood (half green)* | Tinderbox, Flint and Steel | Tinderbox, Flint and Steel, 2d6 Smoke Sticks |Tinderbox, Flint and Steel, 2d6 Tindertwigs, 4d6 Smoke Sticks all in waterproof container|3d6 Tindertwigs and 8d6 Smokesticks in waterproof box
28-36|Tinderbox, Flint and Steel, 32 Lbs of coal or charcoal* in water resistant container| Tinderbox, 2d6 Tindertwigs, 85 Lbs of firewood (half green)* | Tinderbox, Flint and Steel, Handaxe, 295 Lbs of seasoned firewood* | - | -
37-62| - | Tinderbox, Flint and Steel, 85 Lbs of firewood (half green)* | Tinderbox, Flint and Steel, Handaxe, 295 Lbs of seasoned firewood* | - | -
63-75| - |Tinderbox, Flint and Steel, 85 Lbs of coal or charcoal* in water resistant container|Tinderbox, Flint and Steel, Handaxe, 295 Lbs of coal or charcoal* in water resistant container| - | -
76| - | - | - | Ever-Smoking Bottle | 1d4 Ever-Smoking Bottles
77-100| - | - | - - | - | -
*In boggy areas, replace all mundane fuels listed with an equal weight of dried peat.

Elemental Traits and Subtype Info

As an elemental a Smokey Floater possesses the following traits.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning.
* Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
* Unlike most other living creatures, an elemental does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an elemental is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an elemental. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection, to restore it to life.
* Smokey Floaters are proficient with all simple weapons and their natural attacks.
* Smokey Floaters eat only smoke and do not sleep, or breathe.

Air - This subtype usually is used for elementals and outsiders with a connection to the Elemental Plane Air.

Extraplanar - A subtype applied to any creature when it is on a plane other than its native plane. A creature that travels the planes can gain or lose this subtype as it goes from plane to plane. Monster entries assume that encounters with creatures take place on the Material Plane, and every creature whose native plane is not the Material Plane has the extraplanar subtype (but would not have when on its home plane). Every extraplanar creature in this book has a home plane mentioned in its description. Creatures not labeled as extraplanar are natives of the Material Plane, and they gain the extraplanar subtype if they leave the Material Plane. No creature has the extraplanar subtype when it is on a transitive plane, such as the Astral Plane, the Ethereal Plane, and the Plane of Shadow.

Fire - A creature with the fire subtype has immunity to fire. Usually this subtype would also mean it has a vulnerability to cold, but Smokey Floaters are an exception to this rule.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-12, 05:21 PM
The Lowfolk

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
-Emma Lazarus

Lowfolk
Medium Fey
6d6+6 (27 hp)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), Climb 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init: +4
AC 18 (+4 Dex, +4 deflection), touch 18, flat-footed 14
BAB +3; Grp +3
Attack Dagger +7 melee (1d4/19-20)
Full-Attack Dagger +7 melee (1d4/19-20)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks spells, spell-like abilities, visage of the downtrodden, below notice
Special Qualities Damage reduction 10/cold iron, low-light vision, Scuttleborn
Saves Fort +7 Ref +13 Will +12
Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 17
Skills Climb 11, Concentration +10, Diplomacy +10, Escape Artist +10, Handle Animal +13, , Hide +12, Listen +12, Move Silently +12, Sense Motive +12, Spot +12, Use Magic Device +12
Feats Combat Casting, Dodge, Weapon Finesse
Environment Urban
Organization Solitary, Huddle (2-4) or Pack (5-10)
Challenge Rating 7
Treasure ˝ Standard
Alignment Usually Chaotic Good
Advancement by Character Class; Beguiler
Level Adjustment +7

"Mommy! Mommy!" the little girl yelped, her tiny fingers pointing at a bedraggled woman decked out in rags curled up against the sheltering wall of the Old Courthouse, "there she is! The lady from the park."

Her mother, well dressed with pearls dripping around her neck, looked at where the child pointed, squinting, "Don't be silly Amanda. There's nothing over there but a pile of rags."

That man on a street corner in the torn up coat. That woman, her dress bearing the stains and tears of long use, who sits feeding pigeons. That little playmate of your child’s who is never seen but talked about incessantly. These are the lowfolk, the fey of the cities so populous they can become barren of human contact for those dwelling within.

Lowfolk are the fey of the city, caring for its inhabitants much as a nymph or dryad would look after its woodland pools and groves. Lowfolk deal in subtlety, and keep the city within its domain from becoming too stratified or its peoples divorced from one another. Typically, they remain unseen, but when spotted they appear as a homeless member most common race in a given city; an image which serves as a reminder to the materially minded that their pleasures are not shared by all with whom they live. They can appear to be otherwise when it suits them, using the disguise self an alter self abilites as well as spells to take on the form they desire.

They use their powers to shape events in their urban homes, leading potential future lovers to each other randomly in the night, breaking the wheels of a nobles carriage in the poverty stricken sections of town to make the noble spend time there, pestering a young merchant into giving aid to those they would normally ignore, or even in dire circumstances impersonating a city official to change destructive policies. They have a particular soft spot for children and their Below Notice ability affects only adults. Children are those that can be most shaped to heal a wounded metropolis and a particular lowfolk may spend months or even years in the company of a special child, attempting to impart its values into the next generation of city dwellers.

The number of lowfolk in any given city varies with the size of the metropolis. The bigger the city, the more lowfolk, although there is no hard and fast rule for this ratio.

Although rare, neutral and evil lowfolk have been known to exist. These unpredictable fey can shape a city just as their good counterparts. Those that are neutral tend to be pranksters, causing random mischief and giving a city a sense of the strange and unexpected. Evil lowfolk can tear a city apart, pitting social classes against each other or even against themselves for their own malign amusement.

Lowfolk speek sylvan, common, and whatever languages predominate the cities in which they live.

Combat

Lowfolk typically avoid violence, but have been suspect of being responsible for indirectly instigating riots and uprisings of the poor on some occasions. If a lowfolk is spotted, they will typically attempt to talk to their would-be attacker first, using suggestion to avoid direct conflict. If that fails, they will typically use greater invisibility and attempt to flee.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will- Alter Self, Disguise Self 3/day-Suggestion 1/day—Greater Invisibility, Caster level 7th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Spells
A lowfolk casts spells as a 7th-level Beguiler.

Visage of the Downtrodden (Su)
As a move action, a lowfolk can gaze into the eyes of a creature within 30ft, reminding it that anyone can be brought low by chance. The target creature must succeed on a DC 16 Will save or be effected as if by the spell Crushing Despair for one hour. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Scuttleborn (Su)
A lowfolk adds twice (2x) his Dexterity Modifier as a bonus on all Reflex saving throws. In addition, he also adds his Dexterity Modifier as a bonus to his Will and Fortitude saving throws, and as a deflection bonus to his Armor Class. (The statistics block already reflects these bonuses).

Below Notice (Su)
This ability affects all adult creatures with an intelligence score greater than 4 within 30 feet of a lowfolk. Their eyes slide over a lowfolk as if they were merely a piece of background. Those who look directly at a lowfolk must succeed on a DC 16 Will save or be unable to see or otherwise detect the lowfolk just as if the lowfolk were subject to the spell Superior Invisibility. A character who sucessfully saves against a lowfolks Below Notice is immune to the effect by that particular lowfolk for 24 hours. A lowfolk can suppress or resume this ability as a free action.

The save DC is Charisma-based.

Lowfolk Lore:
Sucessful Knowledge: Local or Knowledge: Nature checks will reveal the following general information about the lowfolk.

DC 10: Many large cities have fey inhabitants. Some of these appear as beggars.

DC 15: Lowfolk appear as beggars but are actually somewhat powerful fey. They look after the city, attempting to harmonize the interactions if its inhabitants. Lowfolk favor the poor, and to look upon one is to be reminded of the sorrow of those who go without.

DC 20: Lowfolk have many powers of illusion and often influence the politics and governing of a city by directing people to specific places at specific times or pretending to be influential people at key moments.

Using Lowfolk in Your Game:

Lowfolk can fit into virtually any setting that has fey creatures and cities. They are not particularly combat oriented monsters, although their access to beguiler spells does make them somewhat competent if they are forced to fight. Mainly though, they are intended to be used as parts of the overall feel of a city and serve as contacts, allies, or crafty and hidden foes of the PCs as appropriate to a particular game.

Vaynor
2008-09-13, 04:11 PM
Busker
Medium Fey (Shapechanger)
HD 8d6+24 (52 hp)
Speed 50 ft. (6 squares); fly 60 ft. (good)
Init: +5
AC 18 (+4 Dex, +4 Natural); touch 14; flat-footed 14
BAB +4; Grp +5
Attack Shortsword +8 melee (1d6+1, 19-20/x2)
Full-Attack Shortsword +8 melee (1d6+1, 19-20/x2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Entrance, draining presence, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities Change shape, low-light vision, immune to sleep and charm effects, noticeable
Saves Fort +6 Ref +9 Will +10
Abilities Str 13, Dex 19, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 15, Cha 21
Skills Balance (+8), Bluff (+16), Climb (+8), Diplomacy (+15), Disguise (+10), Escape Artist (+10), Gather Information (+9), Hide (+9), Knowledge (local) (+13), Listen (+8), Move Silently (+10), Perform (any) (+14), Sense Motive (+10), Sleigh of Hand (+13), Swim (+6), Tumble (+13)
Feats Weapon Finesse, Unbreakable Will, Persuasive
Environment Urban
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 8
Treasure Standard
Alignment Lawful evil
Advancement -

The creature, its face misshapen and lean, turns towards the mirror and grins as its face changes shape. The creature, now resembling a clown, dons the bell-strewn hat lying on the table next to the mirror and walks out of the door.

Buskers resemble thin, scaly men with demented faces and reptilian wings to match their claws. However, most of the time they will take the form of an extraordinarily beautiful person, or otherwise depending on the type of act they perform.

Buskers are a type of evil fey found wherever their forms of entertainment is wanted. They feed off of life energy drained from the people that watch them, making them use their ability to change shape along with their abilities with illusion to enthrall people. The busker takes the shape of a street performer such as: juggling, magic, miming, musical performance, dance, acrobatics, or some other form of street performance.

After an extended stay in a certain city, a busker often gains celebrity or cult status based on their performances and with the help of their thralls, can often overrun a city or throw it into chaos.

Buskers are about the same size and weight as humans.

Buskers can speak Sylvan and Common, along with up to three dialects or languages of the area they live in.

Combat

When threatened, a busker will call upon any thralls it currently has at its disposal. If it has no thralls, it will first attempt to charm its attackers while using its flight and shapechange capabilities to ward off any direct attacks. If possible, it will escape.

Entrance (Sp): Once every 1d6 rounds the busker may attempt to sway its audience even more by performing extraordinarily well for the moment (this may include doing an even more dangerous stunt, pulling off a complicated dance or trick, or simply impressing the audience greatly).
Anyone watching the busker must make a DC 21 Will save (this does not include the +4 bonus if the target is currently being entranced by the busker’s “noticeable” ability) or become charmed, cheering the busker, engrossed with its act. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Draining Presence (Sp): For every minute that anyone watches the busker, they must make a DC 21 Will save or suffer 1 point of ability score damage to their charisma and intelligence scores. Beginning when the viewer’s charisma and intelligence reach zero, they become mindless thralls of the busker, never ceasing to view the busker’s act unless the life of the busker becomes endangered (not even stopping to eat or drink, the busker’s watchers often die off quite quickly). The busker may directly order an important thrall to eat and drink, however. The energy drained from its audience increases the busker’s hit points equal to one hit point per point of ability score damage inflicted.

The busker must drain at least 10 ability score points per week to survive, and must also absorb this amount per week before gaining the effects in the way of hit points. After succeeding on each save for three consecutive minutes, the viewer ceases to gain negative ability scores and turns its attention away from the busker. The viewer may, however, be enthralled again at any given time.

When an audience member dies, the busker loses any hit points gained from them. When the busker is slain, any thrall becomes free of the busker’s control and regains any lost intelligence or charisma. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will–charm person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/charmPerson.htm) (DC 17), prestidigitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm), remove fear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeFear.htm), summon instrument (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonInstrument.htm); 5/day–minor image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/minorImage.htm) (DC 17); 3/day–major image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/majorImage.htm)(DC 18); 1/day–dominate person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dominatePerson.htm) (DC 19). Caster level 8th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Change Shape (Su): A busker can assume the shape of any Small or Medium humanoid. In humanoid form, the busker loses its natural attacks. A busker can remain in its humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but a busker reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals its natural form.

Noticeable (Ex): Anyone that views the busker must make a DC 21 Will save or become entranced by the buskers act. The viewer will stop whatever it is doing to watch the busker. When being watched by someone who has failed their save, any mind-enthralling effect the busker uses gains a +4 bonus to its DC. If no further attempt to enthrall the target has been made after one minute, the viewer loses all interest that originated from this ability and need only stay if he still finds the performance entertaining.

Once someone has lost interest in the busker, they may disregard all further saves regarding this ability for the next hour. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Plot Hooks
The PCs arrive in a city that, upon first glance, appears entirely normal. However, after a few days they notice the odd, vacant behavior of the townsfolk. Upon further investigation, they learn that an extremely popular singer is responsible for this strange behavior.
The local king has been issuing very strange commands as of late, and one of his advisors has hired the PCs to secretly investigate the matter. The king’s jester has also been performing for the king more than usual, according to the informant.

Bhu
2008-09-16, 06:23 AM
I still need to add some stuff, but most of it's done

The Black Mask
Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 20d12 (240 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft (8 squares)
Armor Class: 33 (+3 Dex, +10 Natural, +5 Profane, +5 Deflection), touch 23, flat-footed 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+28
Attack: Unarmed Strike +28 melee (2d6+8)
Full Attack: Unarmed Strike +28/+23/+18/+13 melee (2d6+8)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Terrifying Appearance, Possession, Skilled Fighter, Finishing Move
Special Qualities: Immortal, Undead traits, Dark Vision 60’, Turn Immunity, Unnatural Aura, Lifesense, Unnatural Vitality, Damage Reduction 10/Special, Powerful Build, Spell Resistance 30
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +15
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 16, Con -, Int 12, Wis 17, Cha 14
Skills: Climb +18, Hide +20, Intimidate +12, Jump +18, Knowledge (History, Local, Religion) +11, Listen +20, Move Silently +12, Perform (Wrestling) +12, Search +18, Spot +20
Feats: Earth's Embrace, Freezing the Lifeblood, Improved Grapple, Improved Unarmed Strike, Pain Touch, Superior Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist
Environment: Any
Organization: Unique
Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neural Evil
Advancement: 21+ HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -----

”My father used to take me to the wrestling matches down at the arena on the weekends. Rumor had it some of the matches were fixed, but we didn’t care. It was great. The crowds, the spectacle, the fights, it was all bigger than life. My favorite was a wrestler called Negro Mascaras, the Black Mask. He was a huge man. He must have been at least seven feet tall, and he had never been beaten in the ring. He wore a full head mask, all in black, like some sort of grim executioner. My father always crossed himself when we saw him. Never did explain why until the bad times started. I wish he had taken the knowledge to his grave with him.”

The legendary wrestler known as the Black Mask began as a humble boy named Lazero Sesumaga. His father was a wrestler, and his father before him. Fighting ran in the family. It was all they knew. Eventually Lazero drifted into the trade, becoming a helper at the matches, setting up and taking down the ring. Selling food or tickets. Whatever menial task he could do while becoming a wrestler himself. The training was brutal. Many other children died or were maimed permanently. Lazero was lucky. He also had a growth spurt that never seemed to stop. At 15 years old he was already over 6 feet tall. At the tender age of 17, his father passed away from illness. Rumor had it the Trijillo family who owned the local fighting promotions were disappointed in profits, and were finding ways to increase them by adding bloodsports, or fixing the matches. Lazero’s father objected loudly, and many believed his illness was simple poisoning. Not that anyone could prove it.

Lazero became a wrestler because he had no other career options that would support his family. He was fairly good too. The fake aspects of what he did ate at him, but the pre-conceived storylines allowed him time off. He got to spend time with his family that way, and even went adventuring on the side. Lazero never lost a match. He was so big the owners didn’t think anyone would believe his losing wasn’t a fix, so he was always scripted to win. But the Trijillos and he never got along well, and sometimes their arguments were fairly bitter. So bitter that at one point Lazero was ordered to disgrace himself in the ring. To not only lose, but lose in a way that would end his career. Unfortunately for the Trijillos, Lazero had a problem: pride. Pride wouldn’t let him take a fall, let alone grovel like they wanted him too. His opponent died that evening. Lazero had been scripted to win for so long, everyone had forgotten just how capable a fighter he truly was. Fleeing the ring, he found his wife and children brutally murdered. He knew who was responsible, and he knew that he wouldn’t be able to settle the score. The Trijillos were the biggest crime family in the country. They were everywhere, and he could never get to them on his own.

That evening Lazero donned his famous mask for the last time. In the next week he hunted down the Trijillos and their men non-stop, not pausing for food or sleep, knowing he would die in the end. Lazero personally murdered over 200 men in his last week alive before being brought down by a small army of thugs. Most people figured it was over after that. The locals who were sympathetic too him took his mask, and placed it in a shrine at the local church of St. Cuthbert as a sign of respect. Angered, the Trijillos burned the church to the ground, and began a massacre. The mask was thought destroyed.

It wasn’t. 6 years later a young wrestler joined the circuit wearing the mask. Calling himself the Black Mask, he started as a fairly scrawny boy, but began to resemble the original wrestler more and more over time. Eventually people thought he was Lazero reincarnated. Fellow wrestlers began to complain he was as cold as the grave, and smelt like one too. They were refusing to fight him. The Trijillos began offering bounties to whoever could kill him in the ring and make it look like an accident or a fair fight. All of them died, and the Black Mask just kept getting more terrifying over time. People swore he wasn’t human, and they started to avoid both the matches and the Trijillos. That was the final straw. Fear of some sort of curse had held the Trijillo family back, but they wouldn’t accept the loss of their money. It took many men, a Cleric of Hextor, and several hired mercenaries, but eventually the new Black Mask was killed as well. When the mask was stripped from his face as he lay dying, he reverted to the scrawny boy everyone had known. He said his name was Juan, and he had merely wanted to be a wrestler. Dreamed of it since he could walk. One day he had found the Mask and it had spoken to him, and promised to make him a wrestler if he wore it. But every time he entered the ring he was getting hurt, badly. The Mask always offered to make him more powerful. Just a little bit more powerful each time. Just powerful enough to beat his current foe. Eventually the Mask was in control, and he was a prisoner in his own body. He said the original Black Mask had returned, and he wouldn’t stop until the entire Trijillo family was dead.

Horrified the Trijillos burned the Mask, and began to work feverishly to find out what had happened. It took a while, and a lot of torture, but the truth was made known to them eventually. Lazeros had made a deal with St. Cuthbert himself to get revenge on his families killers. In return he would serve the God in the afterlife on a mission Cuthbert had in mind for him. But Lazeros’ pride intervened again. He believed all the Trijillos’ were responsible for the death of his family, and even after the original murderers were dead, he didn’t stop killing. St. Cuthbert was furious at Lazeros for breaking his oath, and cursed him to walk the earth for all time or until every last member of the Trijillo family was dead. He would be trapped in his mask, and could attempt possession of anyone wearing it. The locals took it to the Church not out of respect, but to hide it away from the world who didn’t know the truth. Over the years Lazeros’ humanity burned away, and his revenge was all he had left.

17 years later the Mask appeared again. An undead monster fitting the description of the Black Mask came into the city of Castille, and began murdering members of the Trijillo family. It was stopped again at great cost, and the Trijillos fled their home country and scattered across the world in hopes of fleeing their eternal foe. It has not helped them. For every possessed victim they put down, another eventually rises. No matter how often the Mask is destroyed it eventually comes back, and the Trijillos have begun to fear that the Mask will pursue them until the end of time if necessary.

Terrifying Appearance (Su): Any living being within 60' of the Black Mask must make a Fortitude Save or take 1d4 points of Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution damage. If the save is made successfully, the opponent is immune to the Black Masks Terrifying Appearance for 24 hours. Only works when possessing a body.

Possession (Su): Normally Lazero is an incorporeal spirit trapped in his old mask. If someone puts the Mask on, he may communicate with them telepathically as long as they wear it. Lazero will promise them power in exchange for favors. At first these favors will seem benign (i.e. joining a wrestling organization or some kind of group). He will repay these favors by sculpting the wearers body into physical perfection. For the most part this alteration is insignificant. While they look cut, and in incredible physical shape, their stats aren't altered at all. It's all for show. Inevitably many will find themselves in a jam because they're showing off, or they've gotten in a fight and they need help. Lazero will offer them power in exchange for more help (i.e. do this for me, and I'll make you a real warrior) once they're in physical danger and unable to back out of the fight. If they agree their Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution raise 2 points from then on whenever they wear the mask (maximum possible they can become is equal to Lazero's stats, these bonuses stack as they gain a +2 to each of the physical stats each time they accept Lazero's bargain), and they have access to the Black Masks Damage Reduction ability. Events will get worse and worse, and they will continually have to ask Lazero for more power. Each time they accept Lazero's bargain they must make a DC 22 Willpower Save (Save DC is Charisma based), or become slightly more like Lazero, gaining an inch in height and 10 pounds until they are 7'2" and 500 pounds. Their hair color will begin to change, as well as their voice and mannerisms, and eventually they will look just like Lazero. When their physical stats match Lazero's they become a prisoner in their own body, and the Black Mask takes over transforming the body to look like his original (though obviously undead) It will become apparent that all the favors were merely information gathering for his plans of revenge, or putting him in a position to be close to the Trijillo's. Once he has full possession of a body Lazero can use the stat block listed above. Otherwise he is limited to watching events from the Mask (he has full vision and hearing, and all non physical skills but is immobile and can't affect the physical world). Once he has full possession of a person he cannot be removed except by that persons death, but they may be Raised or Resurrected normally.

Skilled Fighter (Ex): Unlike most Undead, the Black Mask has retained his fighting skills, and his BAB is equal to his Hit Dice.

Finishing Move (Ex): If the Black Mask can successfully Pin his opponent in a Grapple fro 3 consecutive rounds they must make a DC 28 Fortitude Save (Save DC is Strength Based) or die.

Immortal (Su): This works like the Rejuvenation ability on page 118 of the Monster Manual with 2 exceptions. If his possessed victim is destroyed, the Black Mask returns to his mask immediately. If the mask is destroyed it appears again from 1 to 30 years later. How long it takes appears to be random. Unless he is destroyed by a being with Divine Rank, or the terms of his curse are fulfilled (i.e. all living relatives of the Trijillos are killed), the Black Mask can never be destroyed. If released from his curse by St, Cuthbert he may be put down like any other Ghost, though he will still try to return as long as the Trijillos are alive.

Unnatural Aura (Su): Animals will not come within 100' of anyone possessed by the Black Mask, and Panic if forced to do so (they remain Panicked so long as the Black Mask is within Range).

Lifesense (Su): The Black Mask may automatically sense Living creatures within 100' as thought he had Blindsight. He also automatically knows the strength of their life force as if he had cast Deathwatch.

Unnatural Vitality (Ex): The Black Mask gains Maximum hit points per hit die.

Damage Reduction (Ex): The Black Masks Damage Reduction can only be penetrated by a member of the Trijillo bloodline who is of God Alignment.

Spell Resistance (Ex): The Black Mask has Spell Resistance 30.

Powerful Build (Ex): This is identical to the Half Giant Racial ability listed on page 12 of the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Skills: The Black Mask has a +8 Racial Bonus to Hide, Listen, Search, and Spot checks.

Combat: If going for a Trijillo Lazero will always concentrate on them to the exclusion of all else. Being immortal he knows time is on his side so if his current body is destroyed while killing his victim he really doesn't care. He knows he'll be back. Lazero will always attempt a Grapple, and then try to Pin his opponent o finish him as quickly as possible. If there are multiple opponents he will try to paralyze a few using his Feats first and then Grapple one at a time.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (History or Local) can learn a little about the Black Mask. When the character makes a skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs:

{table]DC|Lore
10|The Black Mask was once a famous local wrestler who died after committing an astonishing week or murder and mayhem.
15|The Black Mask persona has been used by many wrestlers over the years, all of whom have been murderers, and all of whom have met violent ends.
20|The Trijiilo family, a local crime organization, and the Church of St. Cuthbert both have some sort of grudge against people portraying the Black Mask.
25|The Black Mask is actually the ghost of the original wrestler, returned for revenge on the family that killed him.
30|The Black Mask has been cursed by St. Cuthbert to walk the world until every living relative of the Trijillo family is dead. [/table]

Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Religion) who have St. Cuthbert as a patron can also learn a little about the Black Mask. When the character makes a skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs:

{table]DC|Lore
10|The Black Mask was once a famous local wrestler who died after committing an astonishing week or murder and mayhem.
15|The Black Mask violated a deal with St. Cuthbert, and is cursed for all eternity because of it.
20|The Mask itself is possessed by the ghost, and so is anyone who wears it.
25|Short of convincing St. Cuthbert to remove his curse, having a deity intervene, or killing all of the Trijillo’s, there appears to be no way of putting the spirit of the Black Mask to rest. [/table]

Plot Hook
The PC’s are hired by Faustino Trijillo, a local carnival owner and fighting promoter. His performers are being found dead, with their backs broken or their guts torn out, hanging from the cities lamp posts. He wants the PC’s to find out who or what is responsible and stop them. It is obvious he knows more than he is telling. He even gives him a description of what he believes the culprit to look like despite no one ever having survived an attack. But if asked how he knows he is uncharacteristically tight lipped, and even fearful.
One of the PC’s is being pursued by Hermelinda Trijillo, a local beauty, and wealthy heiress. But is she actually interested in him? Or is she merely clinging to him because of his reputation for being a tough man who can solve problems with a sword? And why is she always glancing over her shoulder? Why does she always seem to know something about all the dead bodies that keep appearing in the fields outside the village, piled up night after night? And what will he do once he discovers they’re all criminals, and somehow related to his new love interest?
One of the PC’s is a priest of St. Cuthbert attempting to put down the Trijillos, a notorious local crime family responsible for extortion, murder, and all manner of violent crime. One night a huge, hulking giant of a man appears to save the PC from a trap by tearing the assassins sent to kill him limb from limb. Before he leaves the PC promises to repay him somehow. In his dreams that night the PC is visited by St. Cuthbert himself, and told that he must carry out his promise, for his word is his bond. But he is also told that he faces excommunication for helping an enemy of the Church, and his own possible damnation. What will he do?
One of the PC’s is the friend of a local rogue named Everado Trijillo. Everado is a mentor to him, perhaps even a father figure. But Everado is not as good hearted as he appears, and his past catches up with him in the form of the Black Mask. It won’t take forever for the PC to figure out the story. Will he help someone he believes to be a friend? Will he have a choice once it is revealed he is Everado’s bastard son?

Hairb
2008-09-16, 09:28 AM
Quiet

Medium Fey
Hit Dice: 3d6-6 (4hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30ft (6 squares)
Armor Class: (15 +3 Dex, +2 Natural), touch 13, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+4
Attack: Claw +4 (1d4+1)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +5 (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 5 feet/ 5 feet
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Constrict, Mutemusk
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Blightsense 30ft, Noise Sensitive, DR5/ Cold Iron
Saves: Fort -1, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 16, Con 6, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 13
Skills: Climb +6, Hide +8, Jump +6, Listen +17, Move Silently +8, Spot +2
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Improved Grapple
Environment: Urban
Organization: Solitary, Pair, Lull (3 plus 2d4 monstrous spiders)
Challenge Rating: 3
Alignment: Often Neutral Evil
Advancement: -

Without making so much as a sound, this hunched humanoid skitters for cover at your approach. Shrouds of sloughed off skin go some way to conceal its outline in the gloom, but cannot hide its long, clawed fingers, disproportionately muscled and forming grotesque silhouettes against the wall. Fine strands of steam or mist seems to waft off the creature's body and linger unsettlingly in the air.

Naked but for tattered old layers of their constantly shedding skin, Quiets are vicious, craven fey that rarely approach 5 feet in height and are built even more slightly than elves. Repelled by and resentful of loud noises, Quiets make their homes in pockets of relative peace and calm within the bustling confines of cities and towns. Typically, Quiets seek out the loneliest, most neglected nooks available to them: disregarded sewers, forgotten oubliettes and collapsed tunnels. When a Quiet decides to make a stand in a long-neglected place that brings them into proximity with people, such as an old library, attic or basement, the consequences can often be tragic.

Although weak and fragile in the manner of their fey cousins, Quiets are chillingly adept at surprising and strangling victims, rendering fruitless any attempt cry for help with the noise dampening perspiration that they constantly exude. When left in absolute peace, Quiets will hunt rats, stray animals and vermin for food, but will exercise no restraint in silencing those disturbing the territory they so jealously hold; a wandering drunk, a new and careless tenant, a child that does not heed warnings to walk quietly near a certain house or a restless baby might all be at risk.

Quiets tolerate spiders of all sizes in their lairs, as they find them inoffensive and a useful defense against outsiders.

Quiets stand 4'6" feet high on average and weigh around 55 pounds.

A Quiet will never speak, although it may be able to understand smatterings of languages spoken near its lair. It can also understand Sylvan. On the rare occasion that one Quiet must communicate with another, it will use a rudimentary and informal sign language.

Combat

Quiets strike from hiding, grappling and constricting one target at a time without revealing its presence to others. It attacks stragglers preferentially, and will wait until a party is fragmented before striking. As soon as the tide of battle turns, or the intended victim succeeds in breaking the grapple, it will withdraw and lurk until another opening presents itself.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Quiet must hit an opponent of medium size or smaller with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Constrict (Ex): A Quiet deals 1d6-1 points of damage when it wins a grapple check.

Mutemusk (Su): Any creature within a Quiet's space (including the Quiet itself) is wholly unable to make noise, as if the space were filled by a Silence spell. A DC 12 Will Save negates the effect. The save is Charisma-based. Sounds passed through the space normally, and the Mutemusk offers no protection from loud noise or sonic attacks.

Noise Sensitive (Ex): Quiets have vulnerability to sonic attacks, and take half again as much (+50%) damage from them, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed or if the save is a success or failure. Additionally, any sound with a Listen DC of -5 or lower dazes the Quiet for 1 round. Quiets gain a +10 racial bonus to listen checks and Blindsense out to 30ft.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Plot Hooks

Common knowledge holds that the sewerage drain that spills into Mute Egg Creek on the city's outskirts is haunted by a jealous and territorial ghost who steals away the urchin children that play nearby. In truth, the sewer is home to a particularly intolerant Quiet.

The destitute descendants of a once great family have lived for generations in fear of the Quiets who have claimed the extensive cellars and catacombs of the family's rundown mansion as their own.

A direct passage to the Thieves' Guild safehouse can allegedly be entered through the shell of a bathhouse boarded up and ignored for as long as anyone cares to remember. The bathhouse hosts several Quiets, who squabble silently for territory in the gloom.

Sir Shadow
2008-09-18, 09:37 PM
http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs36/300W/i/2008/261/6/d/Spontaneous_self_combustion_by_torvenius.jpg
Spontaneous Self Combustion (http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs36/300W/i/2008/261/6/d/Spontaneous_self_combustion_by_torvenius.jpg) by torvenius (http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs36/300W/i/2008/261/6/d/Spontaneous_self_combustion_by_torvenius.jpg)

Spontaneous Combustion

Medium Undead (Incorporeal, Fire)
Hit Dice: 7d12 (42 hp)
Initiative: +6 (+2 Dexterity, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: Fly 30 ft (perfect) (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 Dexterity, +5 Deflection), 17 touch, 15 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+0
Attack: Incorporeal Touch Attack +5
Full Attack: Incorporeal Touch Attack +5
Space/Reach: 5'/5'
Special Attacks: Burning Wail, Burning Sensation, Fiery Touch, Possess, Scarred Appearance, Spontaneously Combust, Playing with Matches
Special Qualities: Immunity to Fire, Vulnerability to Cold, Whimsical Flame
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +10
Abilities: Str –, Dex 15, Con – , Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 21,
Skills: Hide , Spot , Listen , Search
Feats: Force of Personality, Improved Initiative
Environment: Cityscape (Urban)
Organization: Solitary, Dynamic Duo (2), Haunted House (3-6)
Challenge Rating:
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 8-16 (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +7

Description/background/characteristics

Combat

Spontaneous Combustions (henceforth known as SCs) are not hostile creatures by design. When a new person enterers their haunt, their Whimsical Flame ability automatically occurs. If they become hostile toward a specific target, they will wait til that person is asleep to attack. When they’re target is vulnerable they will attempt to Possess him/her and then use their Spontaneously Combust ability. Whether it succeeds or fails, they will then become neutral and return to floating about ominously or whatever else it is that they do.

If they are attacked, their first response will be to run, even if this means they must move through solid objects. However, if they are surrounded, they will fight back using all their special attacks to their fullest extent. They will usually begin by activating their Scarred Appearance. Then, they will use Burning Wail as often as possible along with their Fiery Touch to do as much damage as possible. As soon as the way is clear, they will retreat.

Burning Wail (Su)
Once every 1d4 rounds, a SC may emit a terrible wail. Everything, creatures and objects, within a 40’ cone emanating from the SC’s mouth takes 2d4 fire damage, DC 21 charisma based reflex save for half, and 1d6 sonic damage. This ability may cause objects to ignite and burn using the base rules for objects on fire.

Burning Sensation (Ex)
After a SC has successfully used its Possess ability successfully, it may use a full round action to deal 2d4 points of nonlethal damage to the host. Each time uses this ability, the host may make a DC 24 Charisma-based Will save to wake up.

Fiery Touch (Ex)
Every time a SC makes a successful incorporeal touch attack, they may choose to either deal 2d4 wisdom damage or 1d12 +3 fire damage.

Immunity to Fire (Ex)
SCs take no damage from Fire.

Playing with Matches (Su)
Creatures that a SC has successfully used its Possess ability on, because weak to Fire damage.
If they are immune, resistant, or vulnerable to Fire damage, then their vulnerability goes up one step as follows:
Immune -> 0.5x damage
0.5x -> 1x
1x -> 1.5x
1.5x -> 2x

Possess (Ex)

Scarred Appearance (Ex)
Normally, a SC appears as a shifting gust of smoke, but twice per day it may take a standard action to manifest its true appearance for five rounds. This form is terribly burnt and it may be difficult for the viewer to determine the SC's gender or age--if they can look at it ong enough.
Any creature that sees the SC's manifested form must make a DC 24 charisma-based Will save. If the save is failed, they must roll 1d100, the effect of which is determined by the following chart.
{table=head]Roll | Result
1-20 | Frightened
21-25 | Panicked
26-40 | Blinded
41-65 | Dazed
66 | Insanity (as the spell)
67-85 | Nauseated
86-100 | Fascinated
[/table]These effects persist for three rounds after the SC stops manifesting its Scarred Appearance or after SC is no longer in the target's line of sight.
Any creature that fails their Will Save roll by ten or more immediately becomes effected by Insanity (as the spell).
If the target succeeds on its save, it is immune to that SC's Scarred Appearance for the next twenty-four hours.

Spontaneously Combust (Su)
If a SC has successfully used its Possess skill on a creature, it may at any time use a full round action deal 2d8 fire damage for each of the creature’s HD. If a creature hitpoints are lowered to 0 or below due to ability, its body turns to ash. Any creature killed by this ability may not be resurrected unless a Wish, Miracle, or similar spell is used to recreate the body.

Vulnerability to Cold (Ex)
All Cold damage taken by an SC is multiplied by 1.5

Whimsical Flame (Ex)

Undead Type
Traits

An undead creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* No Constitution score.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
* Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
* Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
* Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score.
* Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
* Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
* Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
* Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
* Proficient with its natural weapons, all simple weapons, and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
* Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Undead not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
* Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

Incorporeal Subtype
Incorporeal Subtype

An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms. Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source (except for positive energy, negative energy, force effects such as magic missile, or attacks made with ghost touch weapons). Although it is not a magical attack, holy water can affect incorporeal undead, but a hit with holy water has a 50% chance of not affecting an incorporeal creature.

An incorporeal creature has no natural armor bonus but has a deflection bonus equal to its Charisma bonus (always at least +1, even if the creature’s Charisma score does not normally provide a bonus).

An incorporeal creature can enter or pass through solid objects, but must remain adjacent to the object’s exterior, and so cannot pass entirely through an object whose space is larger than its own. It can sense the presence of creatures or objects within a square adjacent to its current location, but enemies have total concealment (50% miss chance) from an incorporeal creature that is inside an object. In order to see farther from the object it is in and attack normally, the incorporeal creature must emerge. An incorporeal creature inside an object has total cover, but when it attacks a creature outside the object it only has cover, so a creature outside with a readied action could strike at it as it attacks. An incorporeal creature cannot pass through a force effect.

An incorporeal creature’s attacks pass through (ignore) natural armor, armor, and shields, although deflection bonuses and force effects (such as mage armor) work normally against it. Incorporeal creatures pass through and operate in water as easily as they do in air. Incorporeal creatures cannot fall or take falling damage. Incorporeal creatures cannot make trip or grapple attacks, nor can they be tripped or grappled. In fact, they cannot take any physical action that would move or manipulate an opponent or its equipment, nor are they subject to such actions. Incorporeal creatures have no weight and do not set off traps that are triggered by weight.

An incorporeal creature moves silently and cannot be heard with Listen checks if it doesn’t wish to be. It has no Strength score, so its Dexterity modifier applies to both its melee attacks and its ranged attacks. Nonvisual senses, such as scent and blindsight, are either ineffective or only partly effective with regard to incorporeal creatures. Incorporeal creatures have an innate sense of direction and can move at full speed even when they cannot see.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Lore

Plot Hook/Story if any

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The Creation of a Spontaneous Combustion

adanedhel9
2008-09-19, 08:10 PM
Weirded Way
Colossal Aberration
Hit Dice: 28d8+224 (350 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), burrow 20 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (+0 Dex, +16 natural, –8 size), touch 2, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +35/+51
Attack: Bite +27 melee (6d6+14)
Full Attack: Bite + 27 melee (6d6+14) and two slams +25 melee (3d8+7)
Space/Reach: 30 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, shortcut, swallow whole, tourist trap
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., freeze, resistance to cold 15, electricity 10, fire 10, spell resistance 25, tremorsense 120 ft.
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +11, Will +19
Abilities: Str 39, Dex 11, Con 26, Int 5, Wis 17, Cha 11
Skills: Hide +5, Listen +10, Spot +10
Feats: Altertness, Blind-Fight, Diehard, Endurance, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Improved Natural Attack (slam), Lightning Reflexes, Multiattack, Power Attack
Environment: Any urban
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 17
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 29+ HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: —

Tendrils of morning mist glide over the cobblestones to a point in the center of the deserted street, where they sink into the ground. A great blast of warm air pushes the fog away, only for it to begin filling the street again. The pattern repeats itself several times before a massive maw suddenly erupts from the ground. With hide like polished stones, eyes like moonlit puddles, and limbs like pillars, the creature easily surprises its prey before sinking back to street level.

A Weirded Way is an extremely dangerous creature at home in the largest of cities. It lurks, seamlessly disguised as a cobblestone street, while it bends space around itself to ensnare its prey. Lost travelers, drunks, and occasionally even knowledgeable locals find themselves within reach of this creature's omnivorous maw. With a Weirded Way around town, even a single wrong turn can lead to disaster.

Young Weirded Ways find themselves drawn to fledgling towns. Once established, a Way prefers to stay in the same community as long as possible. They will even defend the city against serious threats, sometimes including other Weirded Ways. Eventually each Way finds that its stomach outstrips its host city, and it moves on to busier streets.

Though Weirded Ways are not particularly intelligent and are always hungry, centuries of experience have taught them well. Weirded Ways need little food to simply survive and understand that consuming too many people can draw unwanted attention. As such, most Weirded Ways avoid attacking when not starving and avoid eating prominent citizens. Weirded Ways in the smallest of cities snap up one or two citizens a month, while Weirded Ways in the largest can get away with over one meal a day.

Weirded Ways speak Terran and the most prevalent language of their current host city.

Combat
Weirded ways always prefer to ambush their prey. By making use of its Freeze and Tremorsense abilities, a Weirded Way can avoid detection while maintaining its awareness of anything nearby. Once in melee range, the Way relentlessly attacks, swallowing opponents whenever possible and using Shortcut to drag fleeing combatants back into battle. A Weirded Way's only true fear is an aerial assault, against which it has no method of retaliation.

Freeze (Ex): A Weirded Way can hold itself so still it appears to be a simple street. An observer must succeed on a DC 30 Spot check to notice the Weirded Way is really alive.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Weirded Way must hit a Huge or smaller opponent with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

Shortcut (Su): Once per round as a immediate action, a Weirded Way can concentrate its space-warping abilities to instantly move a single creature to any valid space within the Way's reach (20 ft.). The target creature must be touching the ground within 120 ft. of the Way in order for Shortcut to affect it.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A Weirded Way can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Huge or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d8+7 points of crushing damage plus 2d8 points of acid damage per round from the Way’s digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 30 points of damage to the Way’s digestive tract (AC 18). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

Tourist Trap (Su): Space around a Weirded Way constantly shifts and twists so as to best draw potential prey into the Way's trap. Any time an intelligent creature fails a Gather Information check within the same city as a Weirded Way, that creature must make a DC 24 Will save or become lost in this region. Such a creature inevitably (within the next 1d10x10 minutes) passes over the Weirded Way's hunting ground. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (dungeoneering or local) can research Weirded Ways to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including the information from the lower DCs.

DC 38: Weirded Ways are urban monsters that can lure lost travelers into deadly traps.
DC 43: The Weirded Way is an ambush attacker; it remains hidden as a common city street until it its prey is in position. Then it strikes from below, swallowing anything in its path.
DC 48: The hide of a Weirded Way not only looks like stone, but is also nearly as tough. Don't expect cold, fire, electricity, or steel to pierce it.

Plot Hooks
A large city holds a Weirded Way which feeds on a cycle: every four years it goes on a frenzy, eating hundreds of citizens within a one-month span. Nearly four years have passed since the last such event, and the citizens are becoming worried.

An impetuous young Weirded Way has moved in on the established territory of an older Way. Spars between the two have already destroyed several city buildings, and neither shows any sign of leaving just yet.

The addled patriarch of a growing town insists that a Weirded Way – a sign of a large city - is necessary to put his community on the map. As such, he has made it known that he will pay handsomely if anyone manages to attract such a creature to his town.

afroakuma
2008-09-20, 08:35 PM
My contribution:

Sialla Danda
Small Fey
HD 6d6+6 (27 hp)
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares); fly 30 ft. (good)
Init: +5
AC 19; touch 19; flat-footed 14 (+5 Dex, +3 circumstance, +1 size)
BAB +3; Grp +3
Attack Surprising touch melee touch +9 (flat-footed + luck drain) or Small rapier +9 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
Full-Attack Stunning touch melee touch +9 (1d4 + stun + luck drain, x2) or Small rapier +9 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Surprising touch, stunning touch, luck drain, stumble
Special Qualities Impart luck, urban clairsentience, sibling of shadows, spell-like abilities, SR 15, low-light vision, thrive
Saves Fort +3 Ref +10 Will +6
Abilities Str 10, Dex 21, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 13, Cha 18
Skills Appraise +6, Balance +10, Bluff +12, Climb +5, Diplomacy +10, Disguise +10, Escape Artist +11, Gather Information +13, Hide +11, Knowledge (local) +10*, Move Silently +11, Sense Motive +10, Sleight of Hand +14, Tumble +11
Feats Weapon Finesse, Combat Expertise, Improved Unarmed Strike (B), Combat Reflexes
Environment Any urban
Organization Solitary or family (2-8)
Challenge Rating 6
Treasure Double standard
Alignment Always chaotic (any)
Advancement by character class; Favored Class Bard
Level Adjustment +8

*Racial skill bonus

Sialla danda are descendants of the fey of the natural world, who have adapted to humanity and the urban world.

A sialla stands 4 feet tall and appears as a young adult human might. Sialla have pointed ears, brown or coppery hair and rum-colored eyes. They choose fancy clothing in fashionable (not gaudy) colors, and their mischievous smiles never fully reach their penetrating gazes.

Combat
A sialla danda prefers to start combat with its spell-like abilities, before closing to melee. The sialla tries a stunning touch on the most intimidating opponent, then uses its surprising touch to steal luck and retreat safely. Sialla are preternaturally fast.

Surprising Touch (Su) A sialla's touch attack passes through armor, clothing and the like to touch flesh directly. The unnerving sensation this confers causes the victim to become flat-footed. This effect does not work on creatures that are immune to critical hits.

Stunning Touch (Su) A sialla can extend her touch through her foe's flesh, causing shock and discomfort. Although barely harmful, the distressing sensation created by the sialla stuns her victim for 1d4 rounds (Will save DC 17 half.) The save for this effect is Charisma-based.

Luck Drain (Ex) Sialla danda seem to have some innate control over the flow of fate. On any touch attack a sialla makes, she may choose to steal luck from her victim. This manifests as a -1 luck penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls, skill checks and saves, and is cumulative to -5. Each time she steals luck, the sialla gains a luck point. Sialla danda cannot retain more than ten luck points. Luck drain is nonmagical and fades one hour after the first draining.

Stumble (Su) Sialla danda use the shadows of their urban environment to their advantage. The sialla may make a trip attempt using a ranged touch on any creature within an area of shadowy illumination that she can see (sialla danda have low-light vision). The sialla and her foe make opposed Dex checks without modifiers for size category, and the defender is unable to make an opposed trip attempt on a success.

Impart Luck (Su) The sialla can channel the luck she has stolen, magically imparting it unto herself or another. She may expend any number of luck points to increase the caster level and save DC of one of her spell-like abilities. Alternately, she may impart up to five luck points into a single creature. Each luck point grants a +1 luck bonus to attack and damage rolls, skill checks and saves. Imparting luck to another is magical and fades one hour after the first infusion.

Sibling of Shadows (Su) Sialla danda are spirits of crowds, of alleys, buildings and evenings. They gain a +3 circumstance bonus to AC while in an area of shadowy illumination. Sialla can only fly in shadowy illumination, or outside after dusk. Sources of bright illumination are reduced in diameter 10' while within sight of a sialla.

Urban Clairsentience (Ex) Sialla danda are masters of the cities in which they reside. They can take 20 on any Gather Information check in their home city, and gain the synergy bonus from Knowledge (local) on top of that. They are also aware of all strangers in their city, and get a +10 racial bonus on Bluff, Disguise and Sense Motive checks related to impersonating a local.

Thrive (Su) Sialla danda have widely varied opinions on the humans they live amongst. However, they are definitively happier around crowds. A sialla danda gains 1 additional hp for every 500 people living in their city.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp) At will - alarm, alter self, darkness, detect magic, faerie fire, flare, glitterdust, hypnotism, invisibility, message, minor image. 3/day - deep slumber, deeper darkness, eagle's splendour, hold person. Sialla cast spells as 7th level sorcerers.

Society
Sialla danda are a younger breed of fey that have adapted to coexist with cities. Though some are more ardently malicious than others, most are content to be mischievous but supportive of their crowded homes. Whatever their alignment, no sialla will ever harm a child - often they will actively aid in returning the child to its parents.

Sialla enjoy using their control over luck to favor certain mortals at the expense of others. They have been known to message information to certain mortals, which might be for good or ill. This tendency actually gave rise to their urban legend.

Some sialla help the local law enforcement, weaving alarms and highlighting criminals with faerie fire. Conversely, petty thieves have vanished without a trace, made invisible by a bored sialla.

Generally, sialla prefer to use alter self to better integrate with the crowds. Their humanoid forms retain the striking, rum-colored eyes of their fey shape. Disguised sialla enjoy being the life of the party, and those who can devote time and attention to it often become bards.

It is rare, but of late, turf wars have ignited between rival sialla families in larger cities. Faerie fire in different colors delimits areas of control at night, and civil authorities who believe in the sialla often have difficulty choosing a side to ally with.

Lore

DC 15: A minor bout of bad luck is sometimes blamed on an impish spirit known as "the danda."
DC 20: Invisible fairies called "danda" whisper advice to downtrodden folk.
DC 25: Sialla danda are fey who retrieve lost children.
DC 30: Sialla danda trade in luck.

RTGoodman
2008-09-20, 10:41 PM
Urban Oasis

http://www.lvks.org/egov/gallery/1121182532269188.jpg

Huge Plant
Hit Dice: 18d8+144 (225 HP)
Initiative: -2
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares); burrow 30 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (-2 Dex, -2 size, +10 natural), touch 4, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+29
Attack: Bite +19 melee (2d8+8); or tendril +17 melee (1d8+4)
Full Attack: Bite +19 melee 2d8+8) and 4 slams +17 melee (1d8+4)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Pollen of peace, spell-like abilities, urban mirage
Special Qualities: DR 10/slashing, immunities, improved grab, plant traits, swallow whole, tremorsense 60 ft., vulnerable to fire, writhing aura
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +6, Will +9
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 6, Con 22, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 24
Skills: Disguise +35*, Hide +19*, Listen +24, Move Silently +19, Spot +24
Feats: Ability Focus (urban mirage), Awesome Blow, Improved Bull Rush, Lightning Reflexes, Multiattack, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Disguise)
Environment: Any urban
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 14
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 19-22 HD (Huge); 23-28 HD (Gargantuan); 29+ HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: —

Walking along the lane between rows of various lean-tos and rickety buildings, you spot a sudden empty lot that, inexplicably, has a small fountain with a cherub statue, a few small benches, and lush, beautiful grass with wildflowers in several places. Suddenly, you feel an odd sensation, drawing you to come lie down upon the grass and perhaps take a drink from the fountain.

Like the monstrous fish at the deepest parts of the ocean, some creatures in cities use disguises and other methods to lure prey to them. The urban oasis is one such creature. Relying on inherent magic and other abilities, an oasis is a giant plant that is usually almost entirely underground. The only parts aboveground are leaves, tendrils, and the creature’s gaping maw. Creatures are enticed to walk across the small park they see before them, really a mirage created by the oasis, only to be grabbed by tendrils and swallowed whole.

Combat
An urban oasis usually only “fights” with those creatures it has managed to lure in, and then the fight is only the few rounds it needs to draw the creatures into its gullet. Against other foes, an oasis uses its spell-like abilities to slow down opponents while attempting to grab and feast upon others. Should things look bad for the oasis, it generates a fog cloud of dust and pollen motes and attempts to burrow to freedom.

Immunities: An urban oasis is immune to mind-affection effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, stunning, and critical hits.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an urban mirage must hit a creature of size Medium or smaller with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the opponent in the following round. An urban oasis can also use its improved grab ability on a tendril attack. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold, picks up the opponent, and transfers it to the mouth as a free action, automatically dealing bite damage.

Pollen of Peace (Su): In order to capture its prey, an urban oasis can project pollen spores that force creatures to stop and smell the roses (as it were) or even fall asleep. As a standard action, the urban oasis exudes pollen in a cloud that extends to a 30-foot emanation. Creatures must succeed on a DC 25 Fortitude save or suffer the effects of the calming pollen. The save DC is Constitution-based. The effects of failure are based on HD – creatures of 8 HD or less are effected as if by the deep slumber spell, creatures of 9-12 HD are exhausted for 1d6 rounds, and creatures of more than 12 HD are sickened for 1d3 rounds. All creatures that fail their saves, regardless of HD, take a -2 penalty to Will saves against the urban oasis’s other abilities.

Furthermore, creatures that fail their save must make a DC 26 Will save or be compelled to move towards the urban oasis’s mouth (before falling asleep, if necessary) and to lie down on the “grass” in the area. The save DC for this effect is Charisma-based.

Spell-Like Abilities: at-will – deep slumber (DC 20), fog cloud, ghost sound (DC 17); 3/day – crushing despair (DC 21), entangle (DC 18), hypnotism (DC 18). Caster level is equal to ˝ HD. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Swallow Whole (Ex): An urban oasis can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to Large size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d8+8 points of bludgeoning damage plus 1d8+6 points of acid damage per round from the oasis’s digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out using a light slashing or piercing weapon by dealing 25 points of damage to the shark’s digestive tract (AC 15). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

Urban Mirage (Su): As a manner of attracting prey, an urban oasis disguises itself as a small park, a grassy knoll with a gazebo, or other sort of natural area as would be found within a city. It can, as a standard action at will, disguise itself and its surroundings as if by the mirage arcana spell, though it can disguise itself within the area and the illusion only lasts for a number of rounds equal to the oasis’s Charisma modifier (7 rounds) after it ceases concentrating. Creatures interacting with the area are entitled to a DC 30 Will save (10 + ˝ HD + 7 Cha + 2 synergy [Disguise] + 2 Ability Focus) to disbelieve the illusion.

Vulnerable to Fire (Ex): Like many plants, an urban oasis is vulnerable to fire. It takes half again as much damage when subjected to such an attack, and has a -2 penalty on saving throws against Fire effects.

Writhing Aura (Ex): Being an essentially flat plane (above-ground, anyway), creatures may fight atop the urban oasis. However, this poses some problems. The area atop the oasis is difficult terrain and as such prevents opponents from running or charging.

*Skills: An urban oasis has a +8 racial bonus to Hide checks and a +4 racial bonus on Disguise checks. It’s ranks in Disguise also provide a +2 synergy bonus to the DC of its urban mirage ability.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Nature) can learn more about urban oases. When the character makes a skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.

{table=head]DC | Result
28 | An urban oasis is a large plant that uses mimicry, illusion, and other natural methods to lure in potential prey. This reveals all Plant traits.
33 | The plant is rather versatile, with the ability to calm foes, draw them in, and even swallow them whole. They even have innate magic that allows them minor hypnotic powers.
38 | Like many plants, an urban oasis is vulnerable to fire and hard to hurt with blunt or pointed weapons, but provides a dangerous battlefield to fight atop.[/table]

Plot Hooks
Children and small pets have begun disappearing all over the city after a massive clean-up program that added several new parks, lots, and open spaces. Local druids suspect an urban oasis, but finding the correct park or empty lot is a large job that requires many volunteers. Leaders hope to curb the deaths before they grow too numerous to cover up.
An evil gnoll druid, banished from a large city, has taken out his frustration by surrounding the outskirts of the city with allied urban oases. Many caravans and merchants have disappeared, and the town council seeks heroes to find out why.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-21, 08:07 AM
This month's contest has come to a close. A voting thread has been posted here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91608).

Good luck!

-=-=-=-=-

Sir Shadow's entry has been disqualified for being incomplete at the contest's end.