PDA

View Full Version : The Anteheroes System (Now in tasty PDF format! No nougat, no calories!)

AstralFire
2008-09-02, 11:46 AM
Moved to this thread where I am not so space starved:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90331

AstralFire
2008-09-02, 06:27 PM

AstralFire
2008-09-03, 09:21 AM

AstralFire
2008-09-03, 03:42 PM

AstralFire
2008-09-04, 08:08 AM
Added some more clarity on actions, few more paths, more tweaking. Dual-wielding's now possible for those with Fighting or Marksmanship. Only a few more paths to go, I think. Leaving social combat out of this system, I do not believe that that can be adequately represented with a one roll system.

AstralFire
2008-09-05, 07:32 AM
Scrapping Illusion, I'm seeing it as a combination of the (altered) Matter Control and Energy Control. Entering the home stretch before I begin clean-up and polishing, and detailed lists of what each customization path can represent. Then comes the extensive theorycrafting and playtesting so I can start building things like "how many points should players have."

Issues that need to be covered (off the top of my head):
- Climbing
- Falling

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-05, 08:56 AM
This looks like quite an interresting system. I don't know how to really improve it, but do you need help with play-testing the system at all?

AstralFire
2008-09-05, 09:02 AM
This looks like quite an interresting system. I don't know how to really improve it, but do you need help with play-testing the system at all?

A response that's not me! Yay! You're my hero.

I will need help with playtesting soon-ish. Maybe a few days. I have to finish making all of the planned customization paths and start doing editing and formatting. (The triumph return of the bold tag looms.)

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-05, 09:04 AM
How many skill, Life and Spirit points would a level 1 character have before any points are spent at all?

AstralFire
2008-09-05, 09:11 AM
How many skill, Life and Spirit points would a level 1 character have before any points are spent at all?

The skill thing? I have no clue. I need to figure that out. I'm thinking 10-12 at minimum, but I really need to try playing around with it.

Life and Spirit are 10 default for an adventuring character.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-05, 09:16 AM
For the record, I've been reading with great interest. No real comments though, since you're on a roll. Nice work so far. I especially like the use of the Fibonacci Sequence.

AstralFire
2008-09-06, 04:11 AM
For the record, I've been reading with great interest. No real comments though, since you're on a roll. Nice work so far. I especially like the use of the Fibonacci Sequence.

:D Thanks. The comments are much appreciated.

I believe I am done with the initial bit about carving out customization paths, so it's time to clean-up, aisle five.

AstralFire
2008-09-06, 11:00 AM
Alright! Now we're talking, this doesn't look QUITE so badly amateur now...

Zuki
2008-09-06, 11:44 AM
This is looking shinier. My brother expressed brief interest in the system, and wanted to know if it would be plausible to make somebody who can basically fight like an FPS player, that is to say, with crazy acrobatics and wall-jumping, etc.

It seems like the way to do this would be to specialize in Marksmanship and Quickness, but the latter only has defensive benefits rather than offensive ones, which isn't quite what he had in mind (Not to say that one shouldn't invest in defense, of course.) Do you think there's room for a more mundane parkour/athletics sort of skillset, or would it be redundant?

Zeta Kai
2008-09-06, 11:59 AM
This looks great (:smallcool:), but your link is broken (:smallfrown:).

Prometheus
2008-09-06, 02:31 PM
here (http://theanteheroes.com/TheAnteheroesSystem/SysRefDoc.pdf). (Somehow the name of the link got caught where the URL was so the browser wouldn't recognize it).

I really like how the system allows for the fluff to be easily interchanged. And I think the rank system makes it pretty easy to add extra crunch as well for the character who wants to be different or simply expand to a more rules-heavy system. I would also consider play-testing.

One thing that wasn't clear was how the accuracies and defenses work. Does the attacked have to overcome both, either, or one of them to get a hit? Is it that resolve determines damage and positional determines special effects (if and only if resolve gets a hit).

There also doesn't seem to be any combat healing or defense against special effects.

AstralFire
2008-09-06, 04:48 PM
This is looking shinier. My brother expressed brief interest in the system, and wanted to know if it would be plausible to make somebody who can basically fight like an FPS player, that is to say, with crazy acrobatics and wall-jumping, etc.

It seems like the way to do this would be to specialize in Marksmanship and Quickness, but the latter only has defensive benefits rather than offensive ones, which isn't quite what he had in mind (Not to say that one shouldn't invest in defense, of course.) Do you think there's room for a more mundane parkour/athletics sort of skillset, or would it be redundant?

Well, two shots with a rifle will kill the average person. Stealth probably gets what Loren wants more than Quickness - it makes for a sure stun. Though Quickness' ability to turnabout on someone trying to jump you is fun.

Fixed. I was in a rush, sorry.

here (http://theanteheroes.com/TheAnteheroesSystem/SysRefDoc.pdf). (Somehow the name of the link got caught where the URL was so the browser wouldn't recognize it).

I really like how the system allows for the fluff to be easily interchanged. And I think the rank system makes it pretty easy to add extra crunch as well for the character who wants to be different or simply expand to a more rules-heavy system. I would also consider play-testing.

One thing that wasn't clear was how the accuracies and defenses work. Does the attacked have to overcome both, either, or one of them to get a hit? Is it that resolve determines damage and positional determines special effects (if and only if resolve gets a hit).

There also doesn't seem to be any combat healing or defense against special effects.

Thanks for the link clear up!

I tried to clear that up with the new definition of accuracy, adding this line: "Any given attack uses one (but not both) of these two accuracy measures to determine its chance of success." How does that work?

Serious combat healing is something that I've never strongly cared for, thematically, since it helps to produce the vending machine effect of healing - patch me up, it doesn't take you any time anyway. Fast healing also has serious mundane implications that I feel would need to be explored. I try to shy away from people capable of combat healing in the books and I'd like to seriously explore an RPG where it's not part of business and usual.

Defense against special effects is probably something that should be looked at, I agree. Invulnerability and Quickness currently hold most of the defensive cards, and I'd like to open up room for more. I can see that going under Magecraft or Energy Absorption, both of which are... variable and really need playtesting to see what they can do.