PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Vampire-Like Race-Need Help With Balanced Crunch

Leliel
2008-09-02, 03:04 PM
Anyway, I have recently been enthralled with the Twilight Saga's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_(series)) version of vampires, and I think it would be interesting to play one.

Of course, the vampires in there are simply too powerful, and being a virus (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheVirus), even a benevolent one, does not appeal to me.

So, I decided to create a separate race of pseudo-vamps, which I have taken to calling Nosferatu.

Basically, they're a human-like race of conspiratorial mystics, who evolved the ability to drink blood as a source of nutrients, the more humanioid, the better-essentially, give one an ounce of a person's blood, and that's the equivalent of a day's meal. That said, they are as capable of good or evil as any race, and their alignment manifests in their dining habits-unaligned Nosferatu have strict standards about whose, if not what, blood they drink, good ones more so, and evil ones don't really care.

The trouble is, I have no idea how to create balanced abilities reflecting their nature as living vampires, and I am missing my books.

So, a little help here, please?

sigurd
2008-09-02, 05:58 PM
How bout,

Feat: Liquid Lunch:

This creature has evolved to receive huge nutrition from blood. A blood feeding of 1-3 ozs can sustain them for 1-3 days. (1 day per oz). When supplementing their diet with blood they seem exuberant and energetic.
Nosferatu drinking more than 5 oz of blood gain no further nutrition but heal 3hp per oz after 5th.

+2 Cha -2Con

Nosferatu are persuasive and charismatic but their rare evolution has left their bodies more fragile than their human counterparts.

Nosferatu may not serve certain deities and organizations that are opposed to vampires.

The rest of the vampire schtic is discarded to keep them balanced. They are alive, not extra strong and have no strange vulnerabilities or resistances.