PDA

View Full Version : Necro

vanyell
2006-06-13, 09:34 AM
I know that it is wrong to necro (I read the rules) but when is it old enough to be considered necroing? I generally don't touch anything before the 2nd page, but what is safe?

Rose
2006-06-13, 09:44 AM
I think it's considered threadnecromancy is when the thread is on at least the second page AND hasn't been posted in for three months.

vanyell
2006-06-13, 09:45 AM
thanks

Rawhide
2006-06-13, 09:47 AM
From the official rules thread (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1133174775):

Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from “the dead.” If a thread has fallen to page three and hasn’t been posted in for a month and a half, don’t post in it. Start a new topic if you want to discuss the subject.
So, page three is the number stated, but I believe that is more of a guide based on discussions with the moderators. The month and a half thing you should be placing more emphasis on.

Rose
2006-06-13, 09:53 AM
Well, at least I got the number three right...

WampaX
2006-06-13, 11:25 AM
Well, at least I got the number three right...

I think page three was made when certain boards did not have the massive throughput that they have now. I would say the month and a half guideline is more in tone with what we were going for.

Charity
2006-06-13, 12:56 PM
throughput you're not kidding I started a thread in SGs on on: Jun 9th, 2006, 8:23am it made page 50 Reply #735 on: Today at 12:06pm 50 pages in a weekend is pretty quick.

Out of curiosity, and well I guess I ought to ask them but how the merry hell do Alarra and Lilly keep up?

WampaX
2006-06-13, 12:59 PM
Out of curiosity, and well I guess I ought to ask them but how the merry hell do Alarra and Lilly keep up?

They have a constant IV-drip of Jolt hooked up. Or maybe they finished that time machine they were working on . . . could have just been the Jolt talking.

Charity
2006-06-13, 01:28 PM
Sometimes I see the GitP site as a city, there's almost enough people.
The SG forum is full of street crime and mayhem, friendly banter is the social set chatting and making plans, with the D20 forum being the workplaces and businesses. I see comics as the soapbox politics arena, Down here it's like the sleepy suburbs. I guess that makes you guys the policeforce... *analogy collapses under its own weight*
Ya know I like it down here in board issues, away from the hurley burley....
*gets out a deck chair and a glass of Pimms*
nice spot Rawbears picked out for himself, lovely views.

HempRope
2006-06-13, 02:37 PM
Nice and quiet, yes.

I'd still like to hear the rest of that... what's my loverly PbP neighborhood matched up to?

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-06-13, 03:18 PM
Nice and quiet, yes.

I'd still like to hear the rest of that... what's my loverly PbP neighborhood matched up to?

Yeah, you might as well finish the analogy at this point, Charity. [Hands Charity a dozen I-beams and rivets to support analogy long enough to finish....]

SalSar_Thiran
2006-06-13, 03:32 PM
Nice and quiet, yes.

You wouldn't be calling Charity "My Fair Lady" would you Hempy?

InaVegt
2006-06-13, 03:36 PM
Salsar!!!!

WampaX
2006-06-13, 04:19 PM
Friendly Banter - Resturaunts, Bars, Clubs, Etc.
Silly Message Board Games - Low Rent Housing Districts
Features - Power Plant
Gaming d20 - Commercial District
Gaming Other - Low-Rent Commercial District
Comics - Governmental Buildings
Board Issues - Suburbs
PbP Ongoing - Professional Sporting Venues
PbP Finding - Non-Pro Venues
World Building - City Planning Offices
Contests - City Parks
Hidden Area (Dump, Archive, Mod boards) - Illuminati, Masons, Knights of Columbus, etc.

That good enough?

Saithis Bladewing
2006-06-13, 04:52 PM
Friendly Banter - Resturaunts, Bars, Clubs, Etc.
Silly Message Board Games - Low Rent Housing Districts
Features - Power Plant
Gaming Other - Low-Rent Commercial District
Comics - Governmental Buildings
Board Issues - Suburbs
PbP Ongoing - Professional Sporting Venues
PbP Finding - Non-Pro Venues
Contests - City Parks
Hidden Area (Dump, Archive, Mod boards) - Illuminati, Masons, Knights of Columbus, etc.

That good enough?

Works for me. ;D

tape_measure
2006-06-13, 05:00 PM
So, does that make me a coach or an agent?

Sneak
2006-06-13, 05:26 PM
I guess it would make me a rich multimillionaire tycoon.

HempRope
2006-06-13, 05:47 PM
And I should definitely have my visage plastered across the city and a nice hefty pay check from Adidas or its D&D equivalent.

I like this city. We support a lot of athletics.

Rose
2006-06-13, 05:53 PM
Adidas or its D&D equivalent.

ADnDidas?

Samiam303
2006-06-13, 07:57 PM
ADnDidas?

Gods... Have you ever considerd becoming a comedian? ^_^

Rose
2006-06-13, 07:59 PM
Yes, actually, I have. But I'm not so sure I'm good enough that I could make a living off of it, or even get a decent audience.

RawBearNYC
2006-06-14, 01:09 AM
::laments the hopelessly off track thread::

TinSoldier
2006-06-14, 01:28 AM
::laments the hopelessly off track thread::Use the Force, RawBearNYC!

Charity
2006-06-14, 07:07 AM
::laments the hopelessly off track thread::

*whistles innocently*

Prepared for the worst, he comes equipped with analogy ramps and buttresses only to find most of the work completed for him. Charity smiles and gets out a pot of paint and his 'country living' guide.

Friendly Banter - Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Etc. < I think I may include the beach here>
Silly Message Board Games - Low Rent Housing Districts <and seedy bars, don't forget the seedy bars!>
Features - Power Plant < you see I would go for Museum/ heritage sights>
Gaming Other - Low-Rent Commercial District < as I have a beach, now I can have a port/ harbor>
Comics - Governmental Buildings/ < + fleet street/ gutter press>
Board Issues - Suburbs
PbP Ongoing - Professional Sporting Venues <nice>
PbP Finding - Non-Pro Venues <jumpers for goalposts and all that>
Contests - City Parks <mm more like a cross between the state circus and some buskers>
Hidden Area (Dump, Archive, Mod boards) - Illuminati, Masons, Knights of Columbus, etc. <*looks around shiftily*>

That good enough? <yes thanks Wampa>

Yes, actually, I have. But I'm not so sure I'm good enough that I could make a living off of it, or even get a decent audience.
Comedy is a tough business Sneak me old mukker, but as long as you don't rely on it for a career (i.e. no back up plan) I say give it a go, always follow your dreams.

*See's Rawbear, and legs it*

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-06-14, 09:50 AM
Lets see if this thread can be turned away from the darkside....

I now have to scrounge 4 or 5 pages back for some of the SMBG threads that I'm looking for to post on but the last post is usually only a day or two old at most so I agree that the month and a half time limit is more relevant than what page the thread has fallen to. I still don't understand why some people are cruising page 50 for threads to post on though...

n11
2006-06-15, 09:52 PM
I've always found excitement to see which comes first, the locking of a 50 page thread, or the spilling of said thread into page 51.

Low rent district for SGMB. Hmmm. I guess one has to work hard just to keep up, and the pay is pretty bad.