PDA

View Full Version : 3rd edition Sorcerer help

detrevnisisiht
2008-09-04, 04:32 PM
I will be starting a campaign soon in 3rd edition. My character will be 10th level. and my allies will be a druid and a paladin. It is a core only game.

My problem: I have never played a full caster, or 3rd edition. and I need some help. I am in the process of getting the books but I wont get them until after the first session. (That was mostly my fault) So I need lots of help with this, session is a week from today. Any sort of help would be lovely.

Frosty
2008-09-04, 04:37 PM
3 or 3.5 edition?

detrevnisisiht
2008-09-04, 04:38 PM
3 and this is where my problem arrives, I'm a 3.5 player

Innis Cabal
2008-09-04, 04:40 PM
its almost identical

Zeful
2008-09-04, 04:40 PM
Well what do you want to do? Blasting is the easiest, but least optimal route. Utility is hard as you don't have a large number of spells known. Illiusion and intrigue go well together with Sorcerer's high Cha(risma).

I recomend looking at the D20 SRD (www.d20srd.org). And perusing the spell lists while you get an idea of what you want to do.

3.0 is nearly identical to 3.5 but somethings were changed, but the best advice is to build the character in 3.5 avoiding feats and things that don't exist in 3.0.

tyckspoon
2008-09-04, 04:41 PM
Most basic advice: Get Haste. Cast Haste. 3rd Edition Haste provided an entire extra standard action. Even if you do nothing else for the entirety of an encounter besides casting Haste at the start, you will greatly increase your party's effectiveness.

detrevnisisiht
2008-09-04, 04:53 PM
3.0 is nearly identical to 3.5 but somethings were changed, but the best advice is to build the character in 3.5 avoiding feats and things that don't exist in 3.0.

I don't have the books, that is why I'm here. I won't get them until a few days after the first session.

Eldariel
2008-09-04, 04:59 PM
Your party needs an Arcanist. You'll probably want to be a Human simply because none of the Core-races give any notable bonuses to Sorcerers and Humans get a bonus feat, which helps a ton. You'll probably also want to enter a Prestige Class ASAP since Sorcerer gets nothing but spells after level 1 (which PrCs get too).

Your spells known will be as follows:

Level 0: 9
Level 1: 5
Level 2: 4
Level 3: 3
Level 4: 2
Level 5: 1

Your spell choices have to be versatile - you need the same spell slots to do multiple things to truly get things done with this spell count (use spell trigger items like Wands for other spells - for example, Wand of Knock is great for opening things (especially since you lack a Rogue - I suppose you're just gonna summon fodder to send to traps?), but learning Knock just isn't worth it. Same applies to basically anything you may use once or twice over an adventure, but don't intend on casting constantly). Here are things to consider:

-Alter Self/Polymorph: If allowed, they give you unparalleled versatility (at the risk of being broken). You'll need to familiarize yourself with few of the most potent options to get anything out of these spells though, few threads that would help you with this are the Polymorph (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=758751)-thread and the Alter Self (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=176246)-thread. If they're not allowed, you'll have to look elsewhere for flying, burrowing, swimming, Natural Armor, etc.

-Greater Invisibility/Invisibility: Superb defensive spells. Also allow the whole party to sneak around.

-Mirror Image: Superb defensive magic.

-Glitterdust: Can be used to force a Will-save or make the opponents become useless (blind). It also reveals invisible creatures and it's an area effect. Do pick it up.

-Enervation: The best offensive spell to pick up, especially later on when you can combine metamagic with it more effectively. Still, I'd take it already - the best Ray-attack to slaughter anything living. Beware of Spell Resistance though.

-Grease: One of the best spells targeting Reflex-save, it can be used to help allies escape grapple, to stall brutes' movement, to make Fighters lose the grip of their weapons, a total must.

-Rope Trick: Either get a Wand of this or learn it - allows you to sleep in extradimensional pockets so you won't get surprised at inopportune moments.

-Enlarge Person: A great buff for your melee; make them large, give them reach, extra damage and extra power for combat maneuvers such as tripping, grappling, etc. 1st level too.

-Haste: Since you're the Arcane caster, it'll probably befall you to cast this.

-Greater Magic Weapon: Yet another buff, allows your allies to just keep +1 Weapons with tons of special abilities that you can buff up to +2 (soon +3)s.

-Charm Monster: Since you're Charisma-focused, Charm-spells are especially effective for you. This one is just superb. Don't forget to max out Charisma though.

-Evard's Black Tentacles: Best area control-spell; forces opponents to stick outside the spell radius and makes the ones inside it screwed.

-Solid Fog: Can be used to stall even the biggest things. Good for grouping enemies, giving combat rhythm, etc.

-Teleport: You have a 5th level slot. It should probably be this: Really changes the nature of the game with the mobility it gives you.

-Feather Fall: Very handy for...unexpected problems.

-True Strike: I'd always keep it around for tough-to-hit opponents that you need to nail with an Enervation or two.

Take a look at this (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-183763) thread for more good ideas.

Also pick up a Rod of Quicken Spell (which consequently should be one of your first purchases - can't use the metamagic normally in core). Other Metamagic is stuff you should pick up though (especially Extend Spell: Very useful for a variety of buffs and some short-term offensives too. I'd also consider Empower Spell for your offensive magic), and definitely max out your Charisma. Other than that, good luck.

EDIT: As has been said, 3.0 is pretty much identical to 3.5, so profit. And cast Haste often. A Wizard would still be easier, but bleh.

detrevnisisiht
2008-09-04, 05:21 PM
^that list in the link is 3.5

Do 3 and 3.5 have the exact same spell list?

Eldariel
2008-09-04, 05:24 PM
Very close. There's no such list for 3.0 that I'd know of, which is a bummer. Basically, just know that you REALLY want Haste in 3.0 and you're fine as most of the spells are exactly the same for both (some are a bit weaker and Haste is a lot better).

tyckspoon
2008-09-04, 05:27 PM
The core spell list remained mostly the same (Polymorph Other got split into Baleful Polymorph and Polymorph Any Object, IIRC), but there were significant changes to some of the spell effects. Haste has already been mentioned, and Heal and Harm were changed from complete healing/reduction to 1d4 HP to restoring/damaging 10 HP per caster level... which is irrelevant to you, but your Druid should be aware of that if he also happens to be inexperienced with 3.0. You'll probably need to get your hands on the books themselves to check for other spell differences, but most of the changes were nerfs- anything that is good in 3.5 was probably even better in 3.0.

Eldariel
2008-09-04, 05:33 PM
The 3.0 Polymorph you should pick up is Polymorph Self. It's even better than in 3.5; Hours/Level duration and multiple changes, like Shapechange! Heck, I'd probably make my level 4 "Polymorph Self" and "Polymorph Other". That way you can pump up your team, have a Fort save or be bat guano and have the ultimate power for yourself too. Of course, that steps on the toes of many great level 4 spells, but you'll just have to wait a few levels to pick them up (especially Solid Fog, Charm Monster and Greater Invisibility). Of course, it runs the risk of being broken, but it solves basically all problems you could possibly have with the lack of versatility on your spell list.

detrevnisisiht
2008-09-04, 05:42 PM
I just got out of an IM session with the DM and he says that I should leave the shapechangeing to the druid, so no polymorph for me. I don't want to be godly powerful, I want to have fun with the other guys. And looking over some past games I've had with the DM. Battlefield control will be a must (3 Int guys will try to beat you to death pretty straightforward. But anything with an Int matching the party will fight like it, and the Dm is a intelligent, magnificent bastard when it comes to smart monsters.)

Eldariel
2008-09-04, 05:48 PM
Good on both accounts. Solid Fog is great for the job. I'd still consider Polymorph Other as an offensive spell - if you restrict yourself to using it on opponents, it's quite fair and it's a great Fortitude Save or Die (the Fighter becomes a Squirrel, the Wizard becomes something without hands or similar, etc.). Also, 3.0 Alter Self is actually fair, while still being versatile. I'd probably pick that up (can't grant you natural armor, attacks and so on, but you can create efficient disguises, get poor fly-speed of 30' and the ability to breathe underwater).

Other than that, a variety of offense along with some support, defense and a bunch of utility. The list above is very solid, although I'd consider Fly without Polymorph on the list (have to compare it vs. Alter Self). Basically, here's how the list above covers things:

Will-save: Glitterdust, Charm Monster
Ref-save: Grease
Fort-save: Polymorph Other

Battlefield control: Solid Fog, Grease
Boost: Enlarge Person, Haste, Invisibility, Greater Magic Weapon
Protection: Mirror Image, Invisibility, Haste, Grease (vs. Grapple et al.)
Utility: True Strike, Rope Trick, Teleport, Charm Monster (great for social sitiuations gone bad, and to prevent them from going bad), Glitterdust (anti-Invisibility)