PDA

View Full Version : Build A City!

alexeduardo
2008-09-04, 07:38 PM
Anyone coming from the WoTC threads will probably recognize this project, but for the rest of you, here's a brief rundown.

The goal here is to communally make (and record) the history of a city. From its very begginings to its eventual decline and possible death.

On the original thread, we recorded everything from the number of buildings, to the names of streets to even the number of the people living there.
If you want to add something, think it through carefully, if you think someone is out of line, post STOP and try to convince us why we shouldn't take the previous post as canon.
For example:

"Post 5.
September 5, Second Year
An outsider comes into town, he sells rare monkey-like creatures at a high price. The local alchemists love the new buggers, but the traditionalist priests are suspicious of the man. the rest of the month goes by rather uneventful.

Post 6.
A THOUSAND ****ING VAMPIRES FLY INTO THE CITY AND KILL EVERYONE, THE CITY IS NOW A VAMPIRE CASTLE.

Post 7.
STOP"

I think I make myself clear. Every six months I (or whoever's in charge) will post a report on what has gone on. So, without further ado, let's begin the history of our city (btw, we totally need a name) (also, we're gonna use DnD 3.5 for the rules)

January Fifth, First Year.
Current Population:
Alessor Mordis.
Race:Human. age:52. Class: warrior 4/ranger 1. Status: leader of city
One Dwarven Cleric
Two Elven sorcerors
Fifteen Imperial Kobold Hoplites
Five farmers and Five Wives.
Twenty-one children (four for each family and a stowaway)

We arrived a week ago on a high tide. Many, especially the children who had never seen land before, were very exited to finally behold a tropical forest. The men and I spent two days chopping down trees to make room for the huts, which were erected in two days. With the civilians finally sleeping on defendable ground, the soldiers and I finally stopped sucking on those ption flasks and got some sleep.
The last three days the farmers have been chopping more wood and preparing the land for crops. Finally, we will stop having to eat those dreadful Fishes the kobolds keep catching.
I personally don't know what the emperor sees in this island, it's fairly plain and boring in my humble opinion. We have yet to wander outside our seven huts (one for each family and two big ones for the armed men) but I seriously doubt we'll encounter intelligent life. Up to now all we've seen are lizards and some sort of water cow thing. I'm not sure about what it is, it constantly visits us. I think I'll have the cleric kill it, just out of precaution.

With nothing more for the moment, Sargeant Alessor Mordis

I hope this serves as a good start. If you want to turn a minor character into a major one, or just want to introduce an all new character altogether, just specify his stats and bold his name.

have fun!

Vadin
2008-09-04, 07:52 PM
January Seventh, First Year

The cleric, a suspicious fellow, had been dispatched to kill the large water animal that kept visiting the town via the river passing through the middle of our huts. It was a fairly deep river, true, and it was rather wide, and the 'cow' wasn't doing any harm, but it always stared at people crossing the bridge. And, so, it had to go. The cleric readied his crossbow and took aim when there burst forth a cry from the trees above,
"SSTOP! DON'T SHOOT IT, IT'SS JUSST A BABY!"
A...man? Some sort of scaled creature had jumped down on a vine and held back the cleric's arm. The scaly speaker was slightly taller than the tallest elf in the camp, and roughly as thin.
"Don't hurt it, it'ss just confussed! The little river dolphin losst itss mother around here, and it jusst wantss a home! Pleasse, don't kill it!"
So began the introduction of the skaals to the new inhabitants of their land. Most of the skaals lived much farther inland, but this small band of fifteen had been expelled from the skaal realms for refusing to sacrifice their firstborn children to the skaal god Reshara. The skaal quickly left the trees and latched onto the new city. They weren't as strong as many other races, but they did know the forests and were naturally adept at handling the jungles.

Skaal stats:
Physically: Like an elf crossed with a dragonborn, only slightly thinner. More like snake-people than komodo dragon-people.

+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength
+2 Survival, +2 Sense Motive
Scent
May use Dexterity in place of Strength for Climb checks
Instead of sleeping, Skaal go into a trance for 6 hours, during which they recover as though they had rested for 8 hours and are fully aware of their surroundings
Immunity to magical sleep and sleep effects as an elf
Favored Class: Barbarian

Ask for spoilers and ye shall receive, sir.

alexeduardo
2008-09-04, 07:55 PM
@Vadin: try to spoiler your entries, that way we can have stupid chit-chat in between.
Oh, and you can have entries expanding more than one day.

EDIT: thank you, kind sir

AetherFox
2008-09-04, 08:23 PM
Hey, this looks fun! Is there any order, or do we just post whenever we want?

January Eigth- January Fourteenth, First Year.

With the new help of the Skaal, our little town is better than ever! They've taught us which plants to eat and how to cook them, and we've even found a large population of pig things, which are quite frankly delicious, especially when you've had nothing to eat but boney fish for the past couple of weeks. The Skaals tell us to build our houses high in the trees, so as to avoid predators in this jungle. Personally, I think it's a good idea, but we have too much to do right now to move our houses. Other then that, it's been pretty uneventful arou We've located a deep cave nearby, and it looks like some intellegent being is living in there. I must remeber to have some of my men explore it...

As for the pig things and what's in the cave, I'll let someone else decide what it is.

As for the strikethrough, it's just like the writer crossed something out. Just to add realism.

alexeduardo
2008-09-04, 08:28 PM
Well, there's no particular order. But there is some sort of rule that says "We'll never get anywhere if we keep posting in a daily basis and with just one writer"

also, where were the pigs found? the beach, the forest or the caves? just curious

alexeduardo
2008-09-04, 08:34 PM
I was thinking just some clearing in the jungle. I'm hoping the cave will be our island's first threat. O'course, it might not do anything for a while.

good.
Also, we should have a three-update rule. That way, we're not just the three of us constantly adding new characters

Ultima
2008-09-04, 08:44 PM
I'll jump in and start building upon this tomorrow, I'm low on time for now.

Some potential ideas:

The Skaal will pay a heavy price (in native money, of course) for the bony fish. The diary-writer is puzzled, but chalks it up to, "I guess eventually one gets tired of cooked plants and pigs"
The threat in the cave is NOT another player-race, that has been shipwrecked here. I'm pretty sure that's so cliched it has its own trope.
May I suggest that we keep the Skaal deity of sacrificial worship a secret to the landers for now? Sounds like fun to have the now-beloved Skaal tribe found out as evil, malicious killers.

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-09-04, 08:44 PM
With the five new merchants, a new problem shadows over the village. Bandits begin stealing from the merchants and guarding sections of the Road. There are two separate groups, the Red Hoods and the Banishers of Wealth.

Vadin
2008-09-04, 08:49 PM
SEMISTOP

Why would the Skaal pay them for fish? There's a big river running through the middle of town, big enough to apparently support river dolphins. It's not like fish are rare or anything. Very for the other two suggestions, though.

STOP

That needs
a) context
b) proper formatting

STOP

Just no.
[EDIT]Where did the post about the emo vampires go?

Steven the Lich
2008-09-04, 09:03 PM
January 18th, a scouting party is sent into the cave to discover what the inteligent being is. The group has returned with reports that a humanoid lizardman dwells there, though he is very different from the skaal. Within the cave is a library with plenty of books, with knowledge of magic in them. No doubt, the humanoid down there is a spellcaster, who may have gathered books and delved into the cavern. He seems to be known among the Skaal as "Jarin'Nelshar". Pressing some info from them, I have learned that Jarin has been resident for some time, though the Skaal seem to keep their distance.
January 23rd,
With our days spent with Jarin, we have come to learn he is indeed a great deal older than any of us, which leaves me to ponder how much he knows. Anyway, he comes up to the surface to display some magic tricks for the young ones, and to help us with some tasks through his powerful magic. His control over magic is something that our two sorcerers question thoroughly. He is of a good heart though, and seems he wouldn't hurt a fly unless provoked.

January 25th,
A turn of events have brought us another spellcaster. A young man named Inoridas, who only washed up this morning in our paradise. He demonstrated gratitude for our hospitality, and even shown a few tricks that were clearly of a wizards potential. They were no where near as awe inspiring as Jarins, though. However, it would be clear that Jarin is in fact older than our new friend. Speaking of Jarin, he is sure to come soon, and he has not yet met our new guest. The two being magic users, I can see a bond formed between them. All this aside, the help of the two wizards combined would be a huge boon to our settlement. I hope everything goes well enough in their meeting.

Two new guys.
Jarin is a level 15 wizard, and is a lizard like race. There is also dragon blood in him.
Inoridos is a human wizard level 5. Not much is known about him though.

Is this okay?
Please tell me someone didn't post before me...
EDIT: Yes, I got this in first.

TheLogman
2008-09-04, 09:15 PM
Well, maybe the water people don't have the resources/knowledge to prepare the fish in some fancy dishes that the people know how to?

Maybe the people have a technology that the water people don't have that allows them to catch them?

The fish have adapted to watching for the water people, making them impossible to catch for them, but easy for an outsider.

The fish secrete a poison that can hurt water-born creatures, but if a land-walker prepares them, the water-born can eat them.

Vadin
2008-09-04, 09:17 PM
Except that Skaal live in the jungle, not the water, and it wouldn't be a very succesful carnivorous water-dweller who couldn't eat fish.

aaron_the_cow
2008-09-04, 09:35 PM
@steven
I agree that 20 might be a little bit high, one thing that you could do is only give him upto 5th level spells and he dosn't have any others. Just a thought.

alexeduardo
2008-09-05, 10:58 AM
I, too, think lvl 20 is tad too high. lvl 15 would be fine by me, though.

I'll post something later today, great work so far, guys

Unscrewed
2008-09-05, 12:14 PM
Is this ok? If not, feel free to ignore.

February 13
A great discovery! While out with a scouting party, our dwarven cleric discovered some copper ore. Upon further investigation, it was revealed that a great deal of copper lies buried in the large mountains to the northwest. As if that weren't good enough, we have found a chunk of mithral mixed in with the copper! Unfortunately, the mountains are hazardous and home to dangerous beasts. Jarin, Caern (the cleric), and a few others are getting ready for another expedition into the mountains, and the Skaal have agreed to act as guides. According to Skaal tribal lore, mysterious and powerful "wood people" live in the forested mountains and must be treated with respect.

alexeduardo
2008-09-05, 01:38 PM
STOP.
no, I rather we developed the characters a lil' bit more before something so utterly convenenit happens

Steven the Lich
2008-09-05, 01:59 PM
Jarins level is now level 15, though I was hoping he could be a powerful wizard.
@ Unscrewed, Jarin is not the kind of lizardfolk to go with the settlers on scouting. He prefers to remain in his cave with his library of books (Not like your local library, though, of course). He does surface to help the settlers (It should be no labor to be nice to your neighbors), and even puts on a few magic shows. He would not be one to venture too far from his cave unless the conditions deem it necessary. Now Inoridas would be fine in such trips.
EDIT:

STOP.
no, I rather we developed the characters a lil' bit more before something so utterly convenenit happens I'll talk a bit more about my two guys on my next post.

puppyavenger
2008-09-05, 02:10 PM
what happened to the elven sorcerers? and I love these, I might write one up tonight.

HellFencer
2008-09-05, 02:10 PM
I'd like to get in on this while its early, but I'll need to read the entries first.

boomwolf
2008-09-05, 02:47 PM
STOP!

Hammertime. (sorry, had to...)

Ok, events:

February 15
A man shows up in the city, wearing full armor, and wielding a tower shield and a longsword. he says his name is Naral, he claims to be a mercenery looking for a job and he heared that the city has a problem with bandits, he is willing to fight them off, for a price that is a bit high. the townspeople pay however after he fights off three bandits who tried to rob him. Naral says in the town for now, renting a place to stay, making a living out of chasing away the bandits, and giving fighting lessons to the hoplites, they could really use some.
Naral is a human fighter 4/Immortal 3 (immortal link in my sig), making him pretty hard to kill off. his age is about 30, he didn't say.

Vadin
2008-09-05, 03:02 PM
STOP
Why? Because, for now, that's enough of people randomly appearing, I vote that the city develops at least a little before we get any mysterious new strange individuals, and as of yet the city doesn't have a problem with bandits at all. No one has put that in a post that has made it through.

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-09-05, 03:07 PM
((I'm sorry, the one who made more merchants deleted his post and i did not know about it, sorry.))

puppyavenger
2008-09-05, 03:21 PM
hows this?

February 25th

Today, something wondrous happened! One of the older children, a boy of 15, seems to have a bit of magic in him! Anyway, he managed to light up an object from 20 feet away. The Imperial sorcerers that came with us are thrilled of course, and they've set their minds on training him. his parents don't particularly like it, but seem resigned to their sons talent.

Besides that, some o the loggers say they see or hear strange things when in the jungle. Their claims are probably unfounded, but rumors of possible Skald raids are all the rage now.

AetherFox
2008-09-05, 03:51 PM
STOP
Why? Because, for now, that's enough of people randomly appearing, I vote that the city develops at least a little before we get any mysterious new strange individuals, and as of yet the city doesn't have a problem with bandits at all. No one has put that in a post that has made it through.

I agree. Puppys looks good, but for god's sakes people, it's the middle of an uninhabited jungle! For the time being, let's try and do more in-city things to get it going, rather than a bunch of crazy stuff happening. Also, I propose an IC thread and the be an OOC thread, so we don't have to chop our way through stops.

Emperor Demonking
2008-09-05, 04:02 PM
February 26Th

A little boy has developed a terriable sickness after wandering off into the woods. Nobody else appears to be sick and the official word is that the boy ate some bad fruit. Slight panic has been developing through the city. But its only slight.

alexeduardo
2008-09-05, 05:13 PM
I agree. Puppys looks good, but for god's sakes people, it's the middle of an uninhabited jungle! For the time being, let's try and do more in-city things to get it going, rather than a bunch of crazy stuff happening. Also, I propose an IC thread and the be an OOC thread, so we don't have to chop our way through stops.

Yes, I'll make an OOC THREAD LATER TODAY.
for now, everyone please edit or delete anything that is non-canon.

March Second, First Year.
Current Population:
Major Characters

Alessor Mordis.
Race:Human. age:52. Class: warrior 4/ranger 1. Status: leader of city
Jarin
Race:Lizard-like with dragon blood. age:unknown. Class: Wizard 15. Status: Friend (for now)
Inoridos
Race:Human. age:kinda young. Class: wizard 5. Status: been helping around with fruit gathering and a little hunting
Uriel Hond
Race:Human. age:10. Class: none but on the way to becoming Sorcerer 1. Status: Works with dad on the morning, trains with the Elves in the afternoon
One Dwarven Cleric
Two Elven sorcerors
Five farmers and Five Wives.
Fifteen Skaal fruit and bugs collectors

Current Buildings

Small Shrine to Athenea
Five small wooden houses
Two Underground Barracks with entraces on the outside
Begginings of a granary

We now have enough clear land to begin planting corn. The farmers are very exited about this, for they will now eat quality food. The same can't be said for the Skraal, though, who feared they might become useless. The problem was solved when the Elves offered them a place in the military.

March Fourth, First Year.
Four pigs were finally caught and brought into town. One farmer has offered to be their caretaker, much to the desmise of his wife.
A Huge grasshopper tried to atttack the civilian huts later, but it was quickly killed by the magic users. Still, people are increasingly uneasy and are starting to demand a wall.

March Fifth, First Year.
There were sounds of fighting last night, me and four hoplites went out to see what was happening, at as it turns out it was Jarin throwing spells to a grasshopper that had made his way into his cage.
I'm stating to worry about those bugs.

March Sixth, First Year.
Another dolphin made his way into our town. We didn't attack him. It stayed there four hours and then eventually left.

March Eigth, First Year.
I've found out Ironidos and Ayenci, a farmer's daughter, have been seeing each other at night. I haven't told anyone, especially since those dang clerics just finished a little shrine the Athena. Not that there's anything wrong wih Athena, but I think they might be just a little too confident right now and might do something rash if they were to find out about this little romance.

Any objections?

puppyavenger
2008-09-05, 05:17 PM
sounds good.

alexeduardo
2008-09-05, 05:18 PM
sounds good.

Also, the OOC is up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90141). Any non-canon posts here are condemnable now

Kizara
2008-09-05, 09:10 PM
Dang, and here I was hoping this was actually about making a city, as opposed to writing a history of a city.

Personally, I was always a fan of enginering, history and the SBG, so I was all excited.

You suck for dissapointing me. :P

alexeduardo
2008-09-06, 10:19 AM
^well, maybe you can start your own thread.

EDIT: hmm, I wonder if we'll get any new posts today...

puppyavenger
2008-09-06, 10:45 AM
I need one more update before I can update again.

alexeduardo
2008-09-06, 10:50 AM
I need one more update before I can update again.

well, let's make an exeption, just for you, ol' chap.

Also, stop using this thread for OOC! I've already made another thread for that!

Vadin
2008-09-06, 01:25 PM
March 15, first year

Those two kids were out again last night. It was a bright moonlit night, and through my window I saw them go down to the shoreline. I turned away, expecting them to have some fun again. What I didn't expect was a scream.

The entire village woke up and rushed out to the shore. There was this big beetle thing with Inoridos's leg in its mouth! The skaal looked genuinely terrified of the monstrosity, but our hoplites made quick work of it with their iron swords.

With the monster gone, attention shifted to what those two had been out there doing. Ironidos laughed a little and said, "This looks like as good a time as any. Sir, may I have your daughter's hand in marriage?"

The town laughed. It was odd. Ironidos didn't seem to be in too much pain, and his now empty knee looked...cauterized.

A wooden leg was made for him the next day.

Their marriage is arranged for three months from today.

Steven the Lich
2008-09-06, 07:42 PM
March 15, first year

Those two kids were out again last night. It was a bright moonlit night, and through my window I saw them go down to the shoreline. I turned away, expecting them to have some fun again. What I didn't expect was a scream.

The entire village woke up and rushed out to the shore. There was this big beetle thing with Inoridos's leg in its mouth! The skaal looked genuinely terrified of the monstrosity, but our hoplites made quick work of it with their iron swords.

With the monster gone, attention shifted to what those two had been out there doing. Ironidos laughed a little and said, "This looks like as good a time as any. Sir, may I have your daughter's hand in marriage?"

The town laughed. It was odd. Ironidos didn't seem to be in too much pain, and his now empty knee looked...cauterized.

Interesting. I must say, I had no mind for these turns of events, but I'm fine with them. Love Inoridos' reaction.

March 23rd
People are excited for the upcoming marriage between the two love birds. Jarin is less excited, however. I cannot blame him, as he may be suffering from the shock of Inoridos' leg loss. I suspect a deeper reason, though, as he has been acting rather aloof around the skilled mage. I have yet to inquire what it is that causes him to be distant to Inoridos, though. Despite this, Jarin acts fine around everyone else, including the children. He has taken a liking to the new sorcerer, and serves as a mentor, teaching him wise sayings and such. Things bode well for our little settlement.

March 30th
Inoridos has taken an interest in Jarin's library, and has been reading multiple tomes and scrolls, with permission from Jarin of course. Although Jarin has restricted him from certain sections, for reasons I think could be related to his aloofness around Inoridos. Inoridos has plenty to show for his studies, with new tricks. He summoned a wolf today, and the children very much enjoyed playing with it. Jarin has shown things plenty more exciting, but still, Inoridos truly has potential greater than our own sorcerers. This has not been for the better on the part of our sorcerers, as their position as our newest sorcerer's teachers is being threatened. Jarin has never imposed on them more than wise sayings and a few tips, but Inoridos seems to lack the respect.
EDIT:Just noticed that in Vadins post, the marriage was arranged for three months later... Oops :smallredface:

puppyavenger
2008-09-06, 10:28 PM
well, can't have utopia, can we?

April 10th.

Tragedy struck today as we had our first death, hopefully our only one for a long time to come. Two of the me went hunting, splitting up to try and find some good meat. somehow, one of the hunters arrows ended up in the other ones chest.

The murderer says it was an accident, and spent most of the day praying for forgiveness. Meanwhile, the deceased's wife said he murdered him on purpose, Apparently the two had become fast friends since the colony was founded, and the wife believes that the murderer thought he would be left most of the deceased's belonging's.

I'm unsure what to do, so I've got the imperial sorcerers' looking through al the imperial decree's and papers for what to do.

April 13

The sorcerers' haven't found an exact ruling, but apparently in a case where "the Local lord is unable to reach a decision to either his belief that personal feeling or politics will clod the matter, he may instead convene an Imperial court to rule on the charges." After a few more pages, it explains "In the event that it is impossible to call three Imperial Justices to the court, a provisional court may instead be convened. The Justices positions will be filled by the highest ranking ignoble Imperial agent, the Prelate of the largest legitimate church in the Lords holdings, and a notable and respected upstanding citizen. One of the top 5 next most high ranking ignoble imperial agents will take the position of Imperial prosecutor, the defense may have any upstanding citizen that agrees to help as a legal aid."

So, the Justices bench will be filled by the more senior of the sorcerers', the cleric, and, after some internal debate, Jarin. The other sorcerer is the prosecutor, and Inoridos has agreed to help the accused in defense.

Also, it appears that I'm recognized as the Baron of this entire island by the Emperor, heh.

April 15
the trial stated today. Most of the village was in attendance, and almost all of them seemed mystified by all the ceremony. Although, to be fair, so was everyone but the imperial agents and Jarin.

After it became apparent that there was no actual evidence about the actual event, the trial seems to be about the accused character and motive. I hate deciding whether a man lives or dies this way.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-09-06, 10:50 PM
Read the whole thing before reacting, please.

July 4, First Year

They came last night. We heard the thrumming of their wings and saw the flames from their mouths for hours before the beasts revealed themselves. But this time, there was no mercy.

The beetles must have been ten feet long, and liquid fire dripped from their mandibles as they burst from the ground. The first hut to go was Alessor's. It burst into evil red flames as a beetle dropped from the forest nearby, but we didn't hear him scream or yell. Then a the hut burst as a beetle came out from within, still chewing on Alessor's leg. The dwarf flew into a rage and went after the thing with mace, but the earth gave way beneath his feet and he fell screaming into a black pit. The skaals were nowhere to be seen.

More and more monsters came from the dark underbrush, their red eyes alight with hatred and spiky carapaces dripping blood from some unholy prey. Inoridos tried to hit one with a freezing spell, but its eyes suddenly glowed blue, and its breath turned him into an icicle.

Then we ran. We ran as fast as we could, Miss Ayenci and me. And we got away. But nobody else did. Everyone else was stuck with those nightmare beetles. We saw the smoke rising from the fires and wondered if anyone survived. Where was Jarin when all this happened. The skaals? Did they cause this? Ayenci's scared. She won't stop crying. What's going to happen to us?

----

An' that's when I woke up, Miss Irian. I keep havin' this dream, an' every time, my mommy's crying an' everyone's gone! An' then I get mad an' I wake up! I dunno how come, but I keep thinkin' that it's all real, an' that I gotta warn someone before it all happens.:smallbiggrin:
July 4, First Year

-Irian's journal

Iluana keeps having these strange dreams. Poor girl, she hasn't really had a moment of peace since we got to this forest. Maybe if she would just let one of us adopt her she'd be better off, but she still thinks that her parents will come and get her. She's just so young, and she's way too intelligent for this situation. The elves and Jarin have assured me that she has no magical potential, but the child is so different... I don't know, maybe I'm being paranoid. But there's so much truth in the way she talks.

Anyway, the first corn patch is set up now, though we're a bit worried about whether the few kernels we have left will grow in this strangle land. Iluana says that we'd be better off learning to grow the native plants. I think she's right, personally, but the others want to have a good corn shucking day again. In any case, Alessor had us use the lumber from the cleared field to start work on some tree houses, under direction from the skaals. I think that he's worried about Iluana's dreams, too, and wants to have some defensible grounds. We'll keep the huts, of course, but the skaals will teach us how to survive in the canopy. They say that we'll be able to build some decent platforms to sleep on in two weeks or so if we focus on it. The kids are having a great time with the climbing, and it's really getting the community together to work together on these projects.

New Characters
Irian Pinedo
Female Commoner 2

One of the older girls in the settlement, Irian is sixteen and surprisingly unmarried. She is a bit of a loner and a tomboy, enjoying time alone in the forest, pondering the secret ponds and the sunlight through the leaves. It's expected that she'll settle down a bit soon and find a suitable bachelor to marry. Irian has an unassuming prettiness about her, with black hair put into a single braid so as not to get in her eyes while she works the fields or runs through the woods. She often gets into trouble for shirking her chores and playing with Iluana in the forest, away from safety.

Iluana
Female Psion (Seer) 1
Age 7

Iluana was found one day aboard the ship mid-voyage, huddling in a corner and quietly nibbling on food stolen from the galley. The girl would not say much, but apparently had run away from a "bad man" and hidden in the ship before it left port. She did not think about the possibility that it might go out to sea before she could get back out.

The crew welcomed this fiery red-head into their midst, though she could never settle down and always seemed to be worried about something. Iluana loves all sorts of physical games; from tag, racing, wrestling and throw-the-rock are her personal favorites. Despite never choosing a permanent family, Iluana seems to have a special affection for Irian, who is much like an older sister to her.

Aside from her strange dreams, Iluana also collapses occasionally, screaming uncontrollably about something "coming". She usually regains her composure and apologizes sweetly to everyone affected within a few minutes, though. The only sure way to stop one of these episodes is for Irian to come and coo a special song into the girl's ear, which immediately calms her down and puts her into an uneasy sleep.

alexeduardo
2008-09-07, 01:24 AM
((Well, since Seraph ignored the trial...))

Current Population:
Major Characters

Alessor Mordis.
Race:Human. age:52. Class: warrior 4/ranger 1. Status: baron of city
Jarin
Race:Lizard-like with dragon blood. age:unknown. Class: Wizard 15. Status: Friend (for now)
Inoridos
Race:Human. age:kinda young. Class: wizard 5. Status: been helping around with fruit gathering and a little hunting
Uriel Hond
Race:Human. age:10. Class: none but on the way to becoming Sorcerer 1. Status: Works with dad on the morning, trains with the Elves in the afternoon
Irian Pinedo
Race: human. Age: 16. Class: Commoner 2. Status:Bit of a loner, will eventually get married though
Iluana
Race: Human. Age: 7. Class: Psion (Seer) 1. Satus: freind of Irian, bit of a leech on society

One Dwarven Cleric
Two Elven sorcerors
Four farmers and Five Wives.

Current Buildings

Small Shrine to Athenea
Five small wooden houses
Small a granary
Small watchtower
Begginings of a granary
Working Man's Pub

Diary of Alessor Mordis
April Twentieth, First Year.
The trial has gone on for five days now, and I'm starting to worry about the future of thet hunter. He seemes like a nice boy, and he had developed an affection for this Irian girl. Wierd, no one seems to notice her much.
Later this afternoon the Working Man's Pub opened. It seems to be a project of a farmer and a couple of kobolds. It only sells canned beer in the late afternoon as of now, but they hope to eventually sell corn ale all day long.

April Twenty-Second, First Year.
A veridict has been reached, the murderer was hanged by the neck until he died.

April Twenty-Third, First Year.
A kid has come of age, he has been properly circunsized and is now in charge of the murdered man's family. The murderer's wife and two children are now under my protection.
Later tonight, another Grasshopper tried to destroy one of the huts. Janis made short work of him but I think I might just send the emperor a letter asking for more men.
Also, one of the girls told me today of creepy nightmares a friend of hers was having. Might wanna look into that.

AetherFox
2008-09-07, 07:09 PM
BEHOLD MY SPOILER PROWESS! I suggest we follow this format, and keep up to date on stuff like buildings. I'll include my post in a little bit.

ENTRY 1
We arrived a week ago on a high tide. Many, especially the children who had never seen land before, were very exited to finally behold a tropical forest. The men and I spent two days chopping down trees to make room for the huts, which were erected in two days. With the civilians finally sleeping on defendable ground, the soldiers and I finally stopped sucking on those ption flasks and got some sleep.
The last three days the farmers have been chopping more wood and preparing the land for crops. Finally, we will stop having to eat those dreadful Fishes the kobolds keep catching.
I personally don't know what the emperor sees in this island, it's fairly plain and boring in my humble opinion. We have yet to wander outside our seven huts (one for each family and two big ones for the armed men) but I seriously doubt we'll encounter intelligent life. Up to now all we've seen are lizards and some sort of water cow thing. I'm not sure about what it is, it constantly visits us. I think I'll have the cleric kill it, just out of precaution.

ENTRY 2

The cleric, a suspicious fellow, had been dispatched to kill the large water animal that kept visiting the town via the river passing through the middle of our huts. It was a fairly deep river, true, and it was rather wide, and the 'cow' wasn't doing any harm, but it always stared at people crossing the bridge. And, so, it had to go. The cleric readied his crossbow and took aim when there burst forth a cry from the trees above,
A...man? Some sort of scaled creature had jumped down on a vine and held back the cleric's arm. The scaly speaker was slightly taller than the tallest elf in the camp, and roughly as thin.
"Don't hurt it, it'ss just confussed! The little river dolphin losst itss mother around here, and it jusst wantss a home! Pleasse, don't kill it!"
So began the introduction of the skaals to the new inhabitants of their land. Most of the skaals lived much farther inland, but this small band of fifteen had been expelled from the skaal realms for refusing to sacrifice their firstborn children to the skaal god Reshara. The skaal quickly left the trees and latched onto the new city. They weren't as strong as many other races, but they did know the forests and were naturally adept at handling the jungles.
ENTRY 3

With the new help of the Skaal, our little town is better than ever! They've taught us which plants to eat and how to cook them, and we've even found a large population of pig things, which are quite frankly delicious, especially when you've had nothing to eat but boney fish for the past couple of weeks. The Skaals tell us to build our houses high in the trees, so as to avoid predators in this jungle. Personally, I think it's a good idea, but we have too much to do right now to move our houses. Other then that, it's been pretty uneventful arou We've located a deep cave nearby, and it looks like some intellegent being is living in there. I must remeber to have some of my men explore it...
ENTRY 4
January 18th, a scouting party is sent into the cave to discover what the inteligent being is. The group has returned with reports that a humanoid lizardman dwells there, though he is very different from the skaal. Within the cave is a library with plenty of books, with knowledge of magic in them. No doubt, the humanoid down there is a spellcaster, who may have gathered books and delved into the cavern. He seems to be known among the Skaal as "Jarin'Nelshar". Pressing some info from them, I have learned that Jarin has been resident for some time, though the Skaal seem to keep their distance.
January 23rd,
With our days spent with Jarin, we have come to learn he is indeed a great deal older than any of us, which leaves me to ponder how much he knows. Anyway, he comes up to the surface to display some magic tricks for the young ones, and to help us with some tasks through his powerful magic. His control over magic is something that our two sorcerers question thoroughly. He is of a good heart though, and seems he wouldn't hurt a fly unless provoked.

January 25th,
A turn of events have brought us another spellcaster. A young man named Inoridas, who only washed up this morning in our paradise. He demonstrated gratitude for our hospitality, and even shown a few tricks that were clearly of a wizards potential. They were no where near as awe inspiring as Jarins, though. However, it would be clear that Jarin is in fact older than our new friend. Speaking of Jarin, he is sure to come soon, and he has not yet met our new guest. The two being magic users, I can see a bond formed between them. All this aside, the help of the two wizards combined would be a huge boon to our settlement. I hope everything goes well enough in their meeting.
ENTRY 5
February 25th

Today, something wondrous happened! One of the older children, a boy of 15 seems to have a bit of magic in him! Anyway, he managed to light up an object from 20 feet away. The Imperial sorcerers that came with us are thrilled of course, and they've set their minds on training him. his parents don't particularly like it, but seem resigned to their sons talent.

Besides that, some o the loggers say they see or hear strange things when in the jungle. Their claims are probably unfounded, but rumors of possible Skaad raids are all the rage now.
ENTRY 6
February 26Th

A little boy has developed a terriable sickness after wandering off into the woods. Nobody else appears to be sick and the official word is that the boy ate some bad fruit. Slight panic has been developing through the city. But its only slight.

ENTRY 7
We now have enough clear land to begin planting corn. The farmers are very exited about this, for they will now eat quality food. The same can't be said for the Skraal, though, who feared they might become useless. The problem was solved when the Elves offered them a place in the military.

Four pigs were finally caught and brought into town. One farmer has offered to be their caretaker, much to the desmise of his wife.
A Huge grasshopper tried to atttack the civilian huts later, but it was quickly killed by the magic users. Still, people are increasingly uneasy and are starting to demand a wall.

March Fifth, First Year.
There were sounds of fighting last night, me and four hoplites went out to see what was happening, at as it turns out it was Jarin throwing spells to a grasshopper that had made his way into his cage.

March Sixth, First Year.
Another dolphin made his way into our town. We didn't attack him. It stayed there four hours and then eventually left.

March Eigth, First Year.
I've found out Ironidos and Ayenci, a farmer's daughter, have been seeing each other at night. I haven't told anyone, especially since those dang clerics just finished a little shrine the Athena. Not that there's anything wrong wih Athena, but I think they might be just a little too confident right now and might do something rash if they were to find out about this little romance.
ENTRY 8
March 15, first year

ENTRY 9
March 23rd
The marriage went pretty well, and Inoridos and Ayenci have been enjoying each others company. Jarin is less excited. I cannot blame him, as he may be suffering from the shock of Inoridos' leg loss. I suspect a deeper reason, though, as he has been acting rather aloof around the skilled mage. I have yet to inquire what it is that causes him to be distant to Inoridos, though. Despite this, Jarin acts fine around everyone else, including the children. He has taken a liking to the new sorcerer, and serves as a mentor, teaching him wise sayings and such. Things bode well for our little settlement.

March 30th
Inoridos has taken an interest in Jarin's library, and has been reading multiple tomes and scrolls, with permission from Jarin of course. Although Jarin has restricted him from certain sections, for reasons I think could be related to his aloofness around Inoridos. Inoridos has plenty to show for his studies, with new tricks. He summoned a wolf today, and the children very much enjoyed playing with it. Jarin has shown things plenty more exciting, but still, Inoridos truly has potential greater than our own sorcerers. This has not been for the better on the part of our sorcerers, as their position as our newest sorcerer's teachers is being threatened. Jarin has never imposed on them more than wise sayings and a few tips, but Inoridos seems to lack the respect.
ENTRY 10
April 10th.

Tragedy struck today as we had our first death, hopefully our only one for a long time to come. Two of the me went hunting, splitting up to try and find some good meat. somehow, one of the hunters arrows ended up in the other ones chest.

The murderer says it was an accident, and spent most of the day praying for forgiveness. Meanwhile, the deceased's wife said he murdered him on purpose, Apparently the two had become fast friends since the colony was founded, and the wife believes that the murderer thought he would be left most of the deceased's belonging's.

I'm unsure what to do, so I've got the imperial sorcerers' looking through al the imperial decree's and papers for what to do.

April 13

The sorcerers' haven't found an exact ruling, but apparently in a case where "the Local lord is unable to reach a decision to either his belief that personal feeling or politics will clod the matter, he may instead convene an Imperial court to rule on the charges." After a few more pages, it explains "In the event that it is impossible to call three Imperial Justices to the court, a provisional court may instead be convened. The Justices positions will be filled by the highest ranking ignoble Imperial agent, the Prelate of the largest legitimate church in the Lords holdings, and a notable and respected upstanding citizen. One of the top 5 next most high ranking ignoble imperial agents will take the position of Imperial prosecutor, the defense may have any upstanding citizen that agrees to help as a legal aid."

So, the Justices bench will be filled by the more senior of the sorcerers', the cleric, and, after some internal debate, Jarin. The other sorcerer is the prosecutor, and Inoridos has agreed to help the accused in defense.

Also, it appears that I'm recognized as the Baron of this entire island by the Emperor, heh.

April 15
the trial stated today. Most of the village was in attendance, and almost all of them seemed mystified by all the ceremony. Although, to be fair, so was everyone but the imperial agents and Jarin.

After it became apparent that there was no actual evidence about the actual event, the trial seems to be about the accused character and motive. I hate deciding whether a man lives or dies this way.
ENTRY 11
July 4, First Year

They came last night. We heard the thrumming of their wings and saw the flames from their mouths for hours before the beasts revealed themselves. But this time, there was no mercy.

The beetles must have been ten feet long, and liquid fire dripped from their mandibles as they burst from the ground. The first hut to go was Alessor's. It burst into evil red flames as a beetle dropped from the forest nearby, but we didn't hear him scream or yell. Then a the hut burst as a beetle came out from within, still chewing on Alessor's leg. The dwarf flew into a rage and went after the thing with mace, but the earth gave way beneath his feet and he fell screaming into a black pit. The skaals were nowhere to be seen.

More and more monsters came from the dark underbrush, their red eyes alight with hatred and spiky carapaces dripping blood from some unholy prey. Inoridos tried to hit one with a freezing spell, but its eyes suddenly glowed blue, and its breath turned him into an icicle.

Then we ran. We ran as fast as we could, Miss Ayenci and me. And we got away. But nobody else did. Everyone else was stuck with those nightmare beetles. We saw the smoke rising from the fires and wondered if anyone survived. Where was Jarin when all this happened. The skaals? Did they cause this? Ayenci's scared. She won't stop crying. What's going to happen to us?

----

An' that's when I woke up, Miss Irian. I keep havin' this dream, an' every time, my mommy's crying an' everyone's gone! An' then I get mad an' I wake up! I dunno how come, but I keep thinkin' that it's all real, an' that I gotta warn someone before it all happens.

July 4, First Year

-Irian's journal

Iluana keeps having these strange dreams. Poor girl, she hasn't really had a moment of peace since we got to this forest. Maybe if she would just let one of us adopt her she'd be better off, but she still thinks that her parents will come and get her. She's just so young, and she's way too intelligent for this situation. The elves and Jarin have assured me that she has no magical potential, but the child is so different... I don't know, maybe I'm being paranoid. But there's so much truth in the way she talks.

Anyway, the first corn patch is set up now, though we're a bit worried about whether the few kernels we have left will grow in this strangle land. Iluana says that we'd be better off learning to grow the native plants. I think she's right, personally, but the others want to have a good corn shucking day again. In any case, Alessor had us use the lumber from the cleared field to start work on some tree houses, under direction from the skaals. I think that he's worried about Iluana's dreams, too, and wants to have some defensible grounds. We'll keep the huts, of course, but the skaals will teach us how to survive in the canopy. They say that we'll be able to build some decent platforms to sleep on in two weeks or so if we focus on it. The kids are having a great time with the climbing, and it's really getting the community together to work together on these projects.
ENTRY 12
Diary of Alessor Mordis
March Twentieth, First Year.
The trial has gone on for five days now, and I'm starting to worry about the future of thet hunter. He seemes like a nice boy, and he had developed an affection for this Irian girl. Wierd, no one seems to notice her much.
Later this afternoon the Working Man's Pub opened. It seems to be a project of a farmer and a couple of kobolds. It only sells canned beer in the late afternoon as of now, but they hope to eventually sell corn ale all day long.

March Twenty-Second, First Year.

March Twenty-Third, First Year.
A kid has come of age, he has been properly circunsized and is now in charge of the murdered man's family. The murderer's wife and two children are now under my protection.
Later tonight, another Grasshopper tried to destroy one of the huts. Janis made short work of him but I think I might just send the emperor a letter asking for more men.
Also, one of the girls told me today of creepy nightmares a friend of hers was having. Might wanna look into that.

CURRENT INHABITANTS:
Alessor Mordis, Jarin, Uriel Hond, Irian Pinedo
One Dwarven Cleric
Two Elven sorcerors

Major Characters:
Alessor Mordis.
Jarin
Inoridos
Uriel Hond
Irian Pinedo
Race: human. Age: 16. Class: Commoner 2. Status:Bit of a loner, will eventually get married though
Iluana
Race: Human. Age: 7. Class: Psion (Seer) 1. Satus: freind of Irian, bit of a leech on society.

CURRENT STRUCTURES:
Small Shrine to Athenea
Five small wooden houses
Small a granary
Small watchtower
Begginings of a granary
Working Man's Pub

AetherFox
2008-09-07, 07:46 PM
ENTRY 1

ENTRY 2

ENTRY 3

ENTRY 4
January 23rd,

January 25th,
ENTRY 5
February 25th

Today, something wondrous happened! One of the older children, a boy of 15 seems to have a bit of magic in him! Anyway, he managed to light up an object from 20 feet away. The Imperial sorcerers that came with us are thrilled of course, and they've set their minds on training him. his parents don't particularly like it, but seem resigned to their sons talent.

Besides that, some o the loggers say they see or hear strange things when in the jungle. Their claims are probably unfounded, but rumors of possible Skaad raids are all the rage now.
ENTRY 6
February 26Th

ENTRY 7

March Fifth, First Year.

March Sixth, First Year.

March Eigth, First Year.
ENTRY 8
March 15, first year

ENTRY 9
March 23rd
The marriage went pretty well, and Inoridos and Ayenci have been enjoying each others company. Jarin is less excited. I cannot blame him, as he may be suffering from the shock of Inoridos' leg loss. I suspect a deeper reason, though, as he has been acting rather aloof around the skilled mage. I have yet to inquire what it is that causes him to be distant to Inoridos, though. Despite this, Jarin acts fine around everyone else, including the children. He has taken a liking to the new sorcerer, and serves as a mentor, teaching him wise sayings and such. Things bode well for our little settlement.

March 30th
ENTRY 10
April 10th.

April 13

April 15

ENTRY 11
July 4, First Year

----

An' that's when I woke up, Miss Irian. I keep havin' this dream, an' every time, my mommy's crying an' everyone's gone! An' then I get mad an' I wake up! I dunno how come, but I keep thinkin' that it's all real, an' that I gotta warn someone before it all happens.

July 4, First Year

-Irian's journal

ENTRY 12
Diary of Alessor Mordis
The trial has gone on for five days now, and I'm starting to worry about the future of the hunter. He seemes like a nice boy, and he had developed an affection for this Irian girl. Wierd, no one seems to notice her much.

ENTRY 13
March Twenty-Fifth, First Year.
Those Grasshoppers seem to have retreated for now, and all is well. I have recieved word back via messenger birds, and the empire has sent a few more trained men (and women) to aid us. Some of the kobolds have begin building traps incase those grasshoppers do come back. There pretty ingenious that way.

March Twenty-Seventh, First Year.
Good, bad, and humerous news today. The bad is, it seems not all of the Illisk (That's what the skaal call the grasshoppers) are enormous. A cloud of small flying ones ran into town and ate some of the corn. They didn't eat much, but there may be more of them. We've put up sheets as a makeshift barrier around the corn today, just in case. The good news is, one of the sorcerors has talked to a raven, (don't ask me how, because I have no idea) and had him scout a lot of the area for us. I've included the best map that i could draw. As for the funny news, that girl Irian accidentally fell into one of the kobold's ditch traps! Luckily she was ok, but it was a little bit before one of the sorcerors found her and helped her out. Is it just me, or were they holding hands longer then needed to help Irian out? Bah, maybe I'm just seeing things.

March Thertieth, First Year.
More good news today! The members of the empire have arrived! We have gained a lot more support for our little town. On the boat were two dwarves, an elf, seven kobolds and another family of four. The elf and three of the kobolds were female healers, I think. If I'm right, It will be very benificial to have people who can make sure people remain healthy around here. We also sent one of the Skaal back to the empire to make themselves known. I hope he's doing well. They don't seem to be very diplomatic...

CURRENT INHABITANTS:
Alessor Mordis, Jarin, Uriel Hond, Irian Pinedo
Three Dwarven Cleric
Three Elven sorcerors
Twenty-two Imperial Kobold Hoplites

Major Characters:
Alessor Mordis.
Jarin
Inoridos
Uriel Hond
Irian Pinedo
Iluana
Race: Human. Age: 7. Class: Psion (Seer) 1. Satus: freind of Irian, bit of a leech on society.

CURRENT STRUCTURES:
Small Shrine to Athenea
Five small wooden houses
Small a granary
Small watchtower
Begginings of a granary
Working Man's Pub

Uhoh, Wait, Armin, can you move you post behind mine and change the date and stuff? Ya ninja'd me, and it took me a while to type all this. :smallsmile: Thanks Armin! :smallbiggrin:

ArlEammon
2008-09-07, 08:05 PM
April 1st(Or March 31)

A wildman living out in the woods has decided to live in the village. He is a medicine man, and a warrior of a lost tribe. Apparently Noguen, as the medicine man was called, was visiting this country as it held his curiosity. However orcish raiders burned his village to the ground and he returned to the woods. As a hermit, he never discovered the town, but now that there are closer neighbors, he decided to give up his life of solitude.
Noguen Human Male
LG, Adept 1, Warrior 1, Expert 1

HellFencer
2008-09-09, 11:33 AM
July 17, First Year

Something strange happened in the hours just before dawn. No one witnessed the event, but the shrine to Athena was defaced and profaned. A message of some kind was scrawled, badly I might add, on the northern wall. It looked as though fire embers had been used, so it was thought out by someone at least halfway intelligent. I was hoping for just another Grasshopper, because otherwise I have to look internally for an answer, and I'd rather not accuse villagers needlessly.

Jarin was kind enough to take a look at the message and translate it. "Your gods do not belong here. Remove this temple at once or face consequence." I shall keep my eye out, but for now I will chalk it up to a prank.

July 27, First Year

I was awoken in the middle of the night to the sounds of screaming and a large fire. It was easy enough to see from anywhere in the village. The shrine to Athena was on fire and more than halfway burnt down. It seems our homes are not nearly as protected from the elements as I had hoped. The villagers rallied together and used water from the river to put out the flames, but the damage had been done. I will assign one of our sorcerors and two of our skaal friends to investigate the area immediately. I will need to have our efforts split away from the new treehuts to rebuild the shrine.

The investigation proved less than helpful, as whomever did this covered their tracks well. The skaals managed to find a new fruit for us to eat, though. They had not mentioned anything about it to us, as it is poisonous to their kind. Thankfully our "brave and fearless" sorceror was there to take a taste. I shall have word with him later about not eating strange things. It has a white stumpy bottom with a yellow cap like a mushroom, though there are tendrils on the top and the entire thing fits in both of a man's hands.

July 29, First Year

Still no word on what caused the fire, but there is more pressing news. A woman, presumably a farmer's wife, was found in a grisly display this morning at my front door. She was in pieces, though completely unidentifiable. I can't even tell if this was an animal attack or not, though surely her screams would have been heard.

Word was sent through the village to find any missing persons, and only Irian and that strange girl Iluana were not accounted for. I fear they will end up in this fashion and have sent out a search party. Jarin gave me some strange advice on the subject. "Mind your flock, Baron. All is not what it appears to be." He would not clarify further.

The party did not get far, as the two girls were found playing hide and seek out in the fields.

Bayar
2008-09-09, 12:57 PM
STOP.
Wouldnt jumping from April 1st to July 17 leave too much open space ?

April 5th, first year
An eventful day indeed. While out fishing, some kobolds found what appeared to be a coral necklace. They kept bickering about who should keep it. The arguments degenerated into a group clawing. None of them actually got injured. They later claimed it was "friendly bonding". The necklace was claimed by Ipax, the one who acted more as a supervisor for the other kobolds.

Later that day, the three elven sorcerers argued about the methods of teaching magic to the young boy sorcerer. It ended with mischieveous spells casted at each other. The villagers made a petition for banning spells that produce disgusting odors inside the settlement.

ArlEammon
2008-09-09, 01:20 PM
April 8th
April 8th, first year
Dirk Cunningham, a gaurd and farmer, seeks to protect the village from the Grasshoppers. He moved from a busier and larger city in order to escape constant bickering between family members. That... and the fact that he accidently killed a cousin, mistaking the cousin for a monster. This was a mistake which had resulted in his banishment from the city.

Dirk Cunningham has a reputation as a kind man. As a result of this, his friend, Morgan McDougal has accompanied him. A practitioner of the lesser magics. Morgan McDougal seeks to elevate his mind to a higher state. To do so would be much easier to accomplish, in his opinion, in a small town, rather than a city. Along the way Dirk and Morgan befriended a cute, but tough mongrel hound, Dak. (Dak means "Bark")

Dirk Cunningham warrior 2, commoner 2(Farmer)CG
Morgan McDougal Adept 3, LG
Dak, a dog

AetherFox
2008-09-09, 01:56 PM
Woah, woah, woah. We're all out of order. Armin-Bayer-Armin-Hellfencer

alexeduardo
2008-09-09, 06:52 PM
Dudes, please post in chronological order.

CURRENT INHABITANTS:

Three Dwarven Clerics
Two imperial knights.
their wives
Three Elven sorcerors

Major Characters:

Alessor Mordis.
Race:Human. age:52. Class: warrior 4/ranger 1/noble 1. Status: baron of city
Jarin
Inoridos
Uriel Hond
Irian Pinedo
Iluana
Noguen
Human Male,LG, Adept 1, Warrior 1, Expert 1. Status: Town Medic and friend of Jarin
Dirk Cunningham
human, warrior 2, commoner 2(Farmer)CG. Status: farmer and militia man.
Morgan McDougal
human, Adept 3, LG, status: helps Dirk out, interested in a local girl
Dak
some mutt

CURRENT STRUCTURES:
Remants of Small Shrine to Athenea
Five small wooden houses
Small a granary
two Small watchtowers
Begginings of a granary
Working Man's Pub

Diary of Baron Mordis

June 1, First Year

I woke up to the sounds of my hoplites roasting a grasshopper, they can't seem to get enough of it lately. But I, now that I'm a baron, am sticking to my canned turkey and corn.
Later this evening a little imperial ship arrived. It carried two more women and four children (2 for each mother), along with their husbands, who just happened to be decorated imperial knights. Apparently, someone has been sending pleas for help to the emperor behind my back.
The knights made themselves at home immediately and told their families to stay wherever they wanted, now we have even more overcrowded huts and more dirty children screaming and running around in circles. perfect.

June 2, First Year.

Boy did I misjudge those knights! they started training the hoplites immediately, and they are now fitter than ever. And not only that, but one of their older sons has taken interst in one of my adoptive daughters! she had already expressed her affection for some McSomething, but I'm sure the future knight will win her over.

June 4, First Year.
Those knights just heard about the murders from a few weeks ago, they got kind of mad. They are now organizing the kobolds, the militia, and even those skaal things so that they might set out in search of the killer (or killers).
dang knights just can't resist a good quest.

AetherFox
2008-09-09, 07:14 PM
ENTRY 1

ENTRY 2

ENTRY 3

ENTRY 4
January 23rd,

January 25th,
ENTRY 5
February 25th

ENTRY 6
February 26Th

ENTRY 7

March Fifth, First Year.

March Sixth, First Year.

March Eigth, First Year.
ENTRY 8
March 15, first year

ENTRY 9
March 23rd

March 30th
ENTRY 10
April 10th.

April 13

April 15

ENTRY 11
July 4, First Year

----

July 4, First Year

-Irian's journal

ENTRY 12
Diary of Alessor Mordis
The trial has gone on for five days now, and I'm starting to worry about the future of the hunter. He seemes like a nice boy, and he had developed an affection for this Irian girl. Wierd, no one seems to notice her much.

ENTRY 13
March Twenty-Fifth, First Year.
Those Grasshoppers seem to have retreated for now, and all is well. I have recieved word back via messenger birds, and the empire has sent a few more trained men (and women) to aid us. Some of the kobolds have begin building traps incase those grasshoppers do come back. There pretty ingenious that way.

March Twenty-Seventh, First Year.
Good, bad, and humerous news today. The bad is, it seems not all of the Illisk (That's what the skaal call the grasshoppers) are enormous. A cloud of small flying ones ran into town and ate some of the corn. They didn't eat much, but there may be more of them. We've put up sheets as a makeshift barrier around the corn today, just in case. The good news is, one of the sorcerors has talked to a raven, (don't ask me how, because I have no idea) and had him scout a lot of the area for us. I've included the best map that i could draw. As for the funny news, that girl Irian accidentally fell into one of the kobold's ditch traps! Luckily she was ok, but it was a little bit before one of the sorcerors found her and helped her out. Is it just me, or were they holding hands longer then needed to help Irian out? Bah, maybe I'm just seeing things.

March Thertieth, First Year.
More good news today! The members of the empire have arrived! We have gained a lot more support for our little town. On the boat were two dwarves, an elf, seven kobolds and another family of four. The elf and three of the kobolds were female healers, I think. If I'm right, It will be very benificial to have people who can make sure people remain healthy around here. We also sent one of the Skaal back to the empire to make themselves known. I hope he's doing well. They don't seem to be very diplomatic...

ENTRY 14
A wildman living out in the woods has decided to live in the village. He is a medicine man, and a warrior of a lost tribe. Apparently Noguen, as the medicine man was called, was visiting this country as it held his curiosity. However orcish raiders burned his village to the ground and he returned to the woods. As a hermit, he never discovered the town, but now that there are closer neighbors, he decided to give up his life of solitude.

ENTRY 15
April 5th, first year
An eventful day indeed. While out fishing, some kobolds found what appeared to be a coral necklace. They kept bickering about who should keep it. The arguments degenerated into a group clawing. None of them actually got injured. They later claimed it was "friendly bonding". The necklace was claimed by Ipax, the one who acted more as a supervisor for the other kobolds.

Later that day, the three elven sorcerers argued about the methods of teaching magic to the young boy sorcerer. It ended with mischieveous spells casted at each other. The villagers made a petition for banning spells that produce disgusting odors inside the settlement.
ENTRY 16
April 8th, first year
Dirk Cunningham, a gaurd and farmer, seeks to protect the village from the Grasshoppers. He moved from a busier and larger city in order to escape constant bickering between family members. That... and the fact that he accidently killed a cousin, mistaking the cousin for a monster. This was a mistake which had resulted in his banishment from the city.

Dirk Cunningham has a reputation as a kind man. As a result of this, his friend, Morgan McDougal has accompanied him. A practitioner of the lesser magics. Morgan McDougal seeks to elevate his mind to a higher state. To do so would be much easier to accomplish, in his opinion, in a small town, rather than a city. Along the way Dirk and Morgan befriended a cute, but tough mongrel hound, Dak. (Dak means "Bark")
ENTRY 17
Diary of Baron Mordis

April 10, First Year

I woke up to the sounds of my hoplites roasting a grasshopper, they can't seem to get enough of it lately. But I, now that I'm a baron, am sticking to my canned turkey and corn.
Later this evening a little imperial ship arrived. It carried two more women and four children (2 for each mother), along with their husbands, who just happened to be decorated imperial knights. Apparently, someone has been sending pleas for help to the emperor behind my back.
The knights made themselves at home immediately and told their families to stay wherever they wanted, now we have even more overcrowded huts and more dirty children screaming and running around in circles. perfect.

April 12, First Year.

Boy did I misjudge those knights! they started training the hoplites immediately, and they are now fitter than ever. And not only that, but one of their older sons has taken interst in one of my adoptive daughters! she had already expressed her affection for some McSomething, but I'm sure the future knight will win her over.

April 14, First Year.
Those knights just heard about the murders from a few weeks ago, they got kind of mad. They are now organizing the kobolds, the militia, and even those skaal things so that they might set out in search of the killer (or killers).
dang knights just can't resist a good quest.
ENTRY 18
May 17, First Year

Something strange happened in the hours just before dawn. No one witnessed the event, but the shrine to Athena was defaced and profaned. A message of some kind was scrawled, badly I might add, on the northern wall. It looked as though fire embers had been used, so it was thought out by someone at least halfway intelligent. I was hoping for just another Grasshopper, because otherwise I have to look internally for an answer, and I'd rather not accuse villagers needlessly.

Jarin was kind enough to take a look at the message and translate it. "Your gods do not belong here. Remove this temple at once or face consequence." I shall keep my eye out, but for now I will chalk it up to a prank.

May 27, First Year

I was awoken in the middle of the night to the sounds of screaming and a large fire. It was easy enough to see from anywhere in the village. The shrine to Athena was on fire and more than halfway burnt down. It seems our homes are not nearly as protected from the elements as I had hoped. The villagers rallied together and used water from the river to put out the flames, but the damage had been done. I will assign one of our sorcerors and two of our skaal friends to investigate the area immediately. I will need to have our efforts split away from the new treehuts to rebuild the shrine.

The investigation proved less than helpful, as whomever did this covered their tracks well. The skaals managed to find a new fruit for us to eat, though. They had not mentioned anything about it to us, as it is poisonous to their kind. Thankfully our "brave and fearless" sorceror was there to take a taste. I shall have word with him later about not eating strange things. It has a white stumpy bottom with a yellow cap like a mushroom, though there are tendrils on the top and the entire thing fits in both of a man's hands.

May 29, First Year

Still no word on what caused the fire, but there is more pressing news. A woman, presumably a farmer's wife, was found in a grisly display this morning at my front door. She was in pieces, though completely unidentifiable. I can't even tell if this was an animal attack or not, though surely her screams would have been heard.

Word was sent through the village to find any missing persons, and only Irian and that strange girl Iluana were not accounted for. I fear they will end up in this fashion and have sent out a search party. Jarin gave me some strange advice on the subject. "Mind your flock, Baron. All is not what it appears to be." He would not clarify further.

The party did not get far, as the two girls were found playing hide and seek out in the fields.
ENTRY 19
May Thirtieth, First Year
Dirk, Morgan and Noguen, have discovered eachother in the small town and made quick friends with one another. Noguen, has had the fortunate circumstance to discover that he is not the only survivor of his tribe. Apparently, three warriors had escaped, and returned to the area after the occupying enemy had left the ruins. The three warrior Tekeans(of the tribe of Teke) took a discovery of Noguen as a good omen, and pledged their service to the town as gaurds.

The last surviving female of the Tekean tribe consist of a pair of young adult girls and an infant. The warrior men of Teke are actually young men who have survived in the wilderness. They seek training from imperial knights so they may be even more productive members of the new society.

ENTRY 20
May Thirtieth, First Year
All of the activity in our little city has settled down. Things are peaceful right now. With the recent increase of population, the villagers have teamed up to build some more houses. These ones will be in the trees, like the skaal recommended, but I fear they are warning us about more than just grasshoppers. The new fruit we have found makes a surprisingly good substitute for alcohol. We've decided to name it a Wikiberry. On another note, it appears that Ayenci is pregnant! We may have our first town born resident soon! Speaking of the young married couple, Ironidos actually blew the top off of the cave while training with Jarin. Luckily no one was hurt. I saw Irian and Aust, the elf who helped her out of the hole, walking through the woods holding hands. I questioned Aust about it afterwards. He told me that he was showing Irian the wilderness, and to mind my own buisness. I don't think the other elves approve, either.

CURRENT INHABITANTS:
Alessor Mordis, Jarin, Uriel Hond, Irian Pinedo, Noguen, Dirk Cunningham, Morgan McDougal
Three Dwarven Cleric
Three Elven sorcerors

Major Characters:
Alessor Mordis.
Jarin
Inoridos
Uriel Hond
Irian Pinedo
Iluana
Noguen
Race: Human. Age: Unknown. Class: Adept 1, Warrior 1, Expert 1. Status: Town Medic and friend of Jarin
Dirk Cunningham
Race: Human. Age: Unknown. Class: warrior 2, commoner 2(Farmer). Status: Farmer and militia man.
Morgan McDougal
Race: Human. Age: Unknown. Class: Adept 3. Status: Helps Dirk out, interested in a local girl

CURRENT STRUCTURES:
Small Shrine to Athenea
Five small wooden houses
Small a granary
Small watchtower
Begginings of a granary
Working Man's Pub

Ok, so I've added my post and Armin's after me, since I was ninja'd while posting. do you guys want to use the format that I've made?
Also, we enitrely skipped the month of May, so now were on June.

ArlEammon
2008-09-09, 07:30 PM
July 30, First Year

Dirk, Morgan and Noguen, have discovered eachother in the small town and made quick friends with one another. Noguen, has had the fortunate circumstance to discover that he is not the only survivor of his tribe. Apparently, three warriors had escaped, and returned to the area after the occupying enemy had left the ruins. The three warrior Tekeans(of the tribe of Teke) took a discovery of Noguen as a good omen, and pledged their service to the town as gaurds.

The last surviving female of the Tekean tribe consist of a pair of young adult girls and an infant. The warrior men of Teke are actually young men who have survived in the wilderness. They seek training from imperial knights so they may be even more productive members of the new society.

AetherFox
2008-09-16, 03:00 PM
I hate to say it, but is this dead?

Zeta Kai
2008-09-16, 05:45 PM
I hate to say it, but is this dead?

A thread is only dead if you let it die...

Steven the Lich
2008-09-16, 06:14 PM
I should hope not. Sorry for my absence, was on other forums.

August 2
Inoridos is plenty insistent on the Skaal being responsible for our temples burning. He is quick to point out that they are one of the only known inhabitants of the our surroundings, and the only ones with immediate access to our village. He has since shown distrust of the Skaal, which was more than obvious when he tossed aside the fruit the Skaal offered. He has reason to believe that the skaal could be responsible, and it seems possible as well. However, I for one cannot imagine the peaceful Skaal acting hostile to us... Not now, and not over religion. Which has me thinking that there could be another race near our settlement... one who has no good will towards us, I can tell that much.
As a slight notice, it seems that Inoridos is a opposite to Jarin. While Jarin has control over such powerful magic and has restraint, Inoridos seems to lack control over such power, as was proven with him blowing off Jarin's cave roof. And where Jarin gladly accepted the fruit of the Skaal, Inoridos tossed it away. I guess this could be a slight explanation to why Jarin was so aloof to Inoridos at first. I can't help but feel there is a deeper reason for it though...

Continuing the Jarin and Inoridos story arc.
I shall edit more in later if there are no posts after this.

ApeofLight
2008-09-16, 06:27 PM
If no one minds I'd like to join this.

August 3rd, first year.

A new merchant came into town today. The man came by himself with a personal guard over the ground. He didn't bring any new with him. He goes by Hurock. He says he is scouting out new places to set up shop. He has extremely well-made and rare goods. At first he seems like a nice enough man, but it seems he takes his job to heart. Hurock doesn't seem to care just about money although it does take a good amount of his time. Apparently he has a wife back in his home town. There business seems to doing poorly there that is why they are looking for somewhere else to go.
Can we trust this new man? Or is he just one to make a pretty profit off of use?

puppyavenger
2008-09-16, 06:35 PM
sorry for my absence, whenever I try to revive threads, they usually stay dead, so I just don't bother.

SEMISTOP

did the merchant come on a ship? where there any other people on the ship? did they bring any news or trade goods?

ApeofLight
2008-09-16, 06:44 PM
uuhh, I'll go edit that.

Kroy
2008-09-16, 10:27 PM
August 9th, 1st year

Our ship finally landed today, after 18 months at see. We found a village, and Sirta immediatly started organizing the crew to attack. Kroy and Sirta got into a major fight, about wether or not to attack the village. I had to slap my younger brother hard to stop him from running Sirta through with Eroh. I mean, they never got along, and tension afte being at sea for so long is making everyone edgy, but who knew he cared so much about some village folk, to attack my first mate. Me and kroy plan to head into town, to nagotioate some supplies, while Sirta takes the ship south two miles, to build a tempory settlement with the other fourteen crewmen. I hope that Kroys ship, the Nova gets here soon.
-The Scout, Captains log

Bronz: Fighter/8(Bronz is the Captain of The Scout) Age:27
Kroy: Sword Ranger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4930745#post4930745)/5(Kroy is the Captain of The Nova,,and weilds Eroh, +2 Flaming Bastard sword) Age:24
Sirta: Barbrian/4 Age: 31

Dracomortis
2008-09-16, 11:16 PM
August 13th, First Year
Diary Entry of Ven Scaletooth (Kobold Wizard 4 / Warlock 1)

We arrived by sship at the ssmall town today, sseventeen of uss altogether: the two bandss of kobold hoplitess, the three human clericss, mysself, a fellow kobold wizard whosse name I have not learned, and two elven archerss. Ssmall, yess, but the town iss growing. That'ss why we were ssent with ssuppliess, I ssuposse - mosstly food and raw ssteel, but alsso a few sscrollss and potionss. Ssad what happened to the temple here, but buildingss can be rebuilt, yess. I'm afraid we do not bringss good newss with uss, though. The emperor'ss only sson iss very ill, and the court'ss besst healerss cannot figure out what iss ailing him. It sseemss likely that he will die, leaving no heir to the throne. Ssome of the more ssupersstitiouss believe that the burning of the temple wass a ssign that Athena iss disspleassed with uss, but I think otherwisse. Wass it not the priesstss of her mosst holy temple that advissed uss to colonize thiss land? Not that the commonerss would know that...our reassonss for being here aren't being publicly sshared, though I do not know why. Maybe Hiss majessty thinkss they would think him too religiouss? Time will tell, I ssupposse. There iss much work to be done now, yess. I will write more later.

Ven Sscaletooth,
Mosst Humble Sservant of Hiss Excellence

puppyavenger
2008-09-18, 05:21 PM
STOP, didn't we put a moratorium on any high-powered characters?

and do the reallly need to be that powerful?

SEMISTOP

did the kobolds come on a ship? where there any other people on the ship? did they bring any trade goods?

Dracomortis
2008-09-18, 05:36 PM
SEMISTOP

did the kobolds come on a ship? where there any other people on the ship? did they bring any trade goods?
Edited as suggested.

ArlEammon
2008-09-18, 06:06 PM
August 14th, first year

A wandering magician named Skothar seeks to establish a home. He thinks that perhaps the town would be best. Much more powerful magicians seek his demise, yet they fear that this place is cursed. Skothar seeks to live above all, but if he could improve his magical talent, that would be great!
Wizard level 3, CG

Is this low enough level?

puppyavenger
2008-09-18, 06:09 PM
August 5th, first year

Is this low enough level?

yep, where was it quoted from?

ArlEammon
2008-09-18, 06:17 PM
yep, where was it quoted from?

Uh, I made it myself!

puppyavenger
2008-09-18, 06:23 PM
Uh, I made it myself!

I mean, why's it in a quote?

ArlEammon
2008-09-18, 06:25 PM
edited. I have trouble remembering how to spoiler things.

Dracomortis
2008-09-18, 08:25 PM
SEMISTOP

Armin, the last date before your entry was August 13. Recommend you change yours to August 14 or later.

Kroy
2008-09-18, 09:20 PM
look good?

Dracomortis
2008-09-18, 09:53 PM
Carry on, good sir.