PDA

View Full Version : It Takes All Allignments: An OOTS Styled Webcomic

Zerkai
2008-09-05, 03:30 PM
Hello, I was toying around with Inkscape and made some of my friends and mine's characeters in OOTS style, and, well, I thought I'd give it a try.

It's only been my first week using this, so tell me what you think :smallsmile:

It Takes All Allignments-Comics:
#000 http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/Zerkai/ITAAComic000-1.png

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-05, 03:33 PM
Interesting... I await the next portion...

Haruki-kun
2008-09-05, 03:33 PM
Hmm... interesting. Well, I like that your style is pretty well-defined, it just needs some tweaking here and there.

Oh, and panel 7, line 4 has a typo in the second speech bubble, I think.

Looks interesting, though. I might keep reading it.

Gourtox
2008-09-05, 03:49 PM
I like it.I'm am trying to start my own webcomic and will wait eargerly for your next comic.Go to http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90077.To see my ideas.If you have any I will greatly appreciate and consider them.

Haleyintraining
2008-09-05, 03:51 PM
I love it! :smallcool:

Atomsized
2008-09-05, 05:42 PM
Very amusing :smallsmile:

Moff Chumley
2008-09-05, 06:50 PM
Very cool, I'm looking forward to updates.

Bitzeralisis
2008-09-06, 02:17 AM
All I can say is proportions and positioning. But before I even get into that, I suggest you delete the thin, gray "inner outline" that appears to surround all the panels — it sort of bothers me, but maybe that's just me.

Panels 1 and 3 seem too zoomed-out — which you also compensate for by typing in smaller font. Not only is the smaller font straining to the eyes, all that empty space is very mundane and makes the building seem oddly tall. But what really deludes the mind is the lack of any floor. If you look at the strip in the right way, you'll suddenly realize that the characters must be floating. There's no floor behind the table (which is conveniently missing a leg), either.

The prime artwork is well-done, especially Duma's hairline. However, you may want to think about changing the end-styles of your strokes to a round end, because they seem more natural. And Duma's eyes are distractingly bright. Plus, Thoven and Terin? I bet they're related! The names sound so alike, I'd mix them up by the end of the first comic!

On speech bubbles: make sure to center your text and check for major spelling errors and all punctuation errors. And I mean all: ugly punctuation looks plain ugly, and it drags the quality of the rest of the comic down with it as well. (Of course, you only made one error, but I felt it was necessary to mention that.) Using different font sizes every panel distracts my eyes, and many of your speech bubbles could be sized/positioned better. Don't be afraid to have them protrude out the edges of the frame. Just don't let them cover any major details, like Jen's head. Don't let speech bubbles touch (their anti-aliased lines sort of "fuse" together), and keep their ends at a reasonable distance from the actors' heads. I noticed that most Comicists here use the "Overlap Bubble" style — that is, the pointy end of the bubble is actually a separate object which is made to have its fill just inwards enough to cover the outlines of the ellipse. Most people don't notice this, but I do. Fixes: either perfect your "Overlap Bubble," or make "Add Bubbles." I don't know if Inkscape can make "Add Bubbles," though; but it's not a problem, as that is a very, very minor detail. Summary of speech bubbles: proportions and positioning.

I hope this helps; good luck with your comic, and don't let it die like all mines have. Biggest tip: don't be too nitpicky with your comic; and don't be overly perfect. Because I am, as you can judge from the above tangent. :smallwink:

Holammer
2008-09-06, 10:22 AM
I like it! Art isn't perfect but dialogue seems well crafted and interesting.
My personal problem with my own OOTS style is that I obsess about the little things and want everything figured out in advance. It's fun to see someone just open the hatches and fire a broadside and say "here it's done, have fun reading it". :smallwink:

Bayar
2008-09-06, 01:28 PM
I like it. It has potential. As long as you wont overuse 4th wall breaking D&D rule jokes, I will read it :smallbiggrin:

alexeduardo
2008-09-06, 01:34 PM
funny, the simplisticly cute style has great potential.
just be sure the hooded dude is more than just another Belkar clone

T-O-E
2008-09-06, 03:15 PM
Also, please don't add any blackmages/richards/belkars/xykons or any other card-carrying evil guy characters. They're over-used in web-comics.

Terin
2008-09-06, 05:16 PM
Nice job zerk, and thoven cracks me up! :smalltongue:
And terin and thoven..well you'll have to see that answer when it comes up. *replying to the related thing*

Uncle Festy
2008-09-07, 07:48 PM
Heh heh.
I mean, a lot of the new comics around here are both badly drawn and have horrible jokes, but your comic is only the first one!
:smalltongue::smallwink:
I kid, I kid. It's actually pretty good for someone just starting out. I'd suggest working on speech bubble positioning, though. What many people don't realize is that the most important thing is not getting the speech bubble next to the speaker's head – it's putting the bubbles in order so that the reader can tell when things are being said. You're pretty good with that, but the first panel's a bit off, I think. Also, the text shouldn't scale with the characters – keep it at one, legible size for most text, and scale it down for side comments, like, say, everything Thoven says in the comic (except for the punch line at the end) :smalltongue:.
Keep up the good work!

Haleyintraining
2008-09-26, 05:39 PM
So, when's the next one coming out?

XenoTherapy
2008-09-26, 08:18 PM
So, when's the next one coming out?

Yarr, she be right.

someonenonotyou
2008-09-26, 09:35 PM
nice this looks promising:smallbiggrin:

Haleyintraining