PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Bow of inifinite arrows?

Edge of Dreams
2008-09-06, 06:22 PM
So, I'm working on some homebrewed items for a campaign and I was wondering what item level would be appropriate for a magic bow that shoots magic arrows and never runs out. The damage would still be considered normal weapon damage. I was thinking maybe level 2? Especially since this is an ability that magic throwing weapons get for free anyway.

Also, how about the item level for the same thing, but the arrows deal force damage or some elemental damage?

fractic
2008-09-06, 06:27 PM
Arrows go for 1 gp per 10. At level 2 that's allready neglible. If you want to turn it into a magic item then a level 2 item sounds right. It can't be level 1 because it's better then a normal magic bow, but giving up the room for an other magical property more then compensates the free arrows at level 2.

If you want to combine it with an elemental type, how about taking a flaming/freezing/whatever bow and make it one level higher?

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-06, 07:34 PM
Maybe make Endless Quiver a Wondrous Item for level 2+, and it gives you X number of arrows per tier per encounter. It should take about 25 encounters to become worthwhile, so maybe for 100 arrows per encounter, it should cost 125 gp? That way, you can still enchant your bow however you want.
Endless Corssbow Satchels would be 50 bolts per encounter, otherwise same.

Knaight
2008-09-06, 07:38 PM
Or just make it actually infinite, and they disappear upon contact.

Mando Knight
2008-09-06, 09:37 PM
Maybe make Endless Quiver a Wondrous Item for level 2+, and it gives you X number of arrows per tier per encounter. It should take about 25 encounters to become worthwhile, so maybe for 100 arrows per encounter, it should cost 125 gp? That way, you can still enchant your bow however you want.

Ah... all magic items have a fixed cost based on their level. No magic item costs less than 360 gp. And 100 arrows/encounter? How many encounters are going to last 50+ rounds (if the Ranger uses a 2 arrow power every turn) at level 2? Or even 25+? Orcus might last that long against a party of level 30s. Maybe. If the party doesn't die first.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-06, 09:43 PM
Ah... all magic items have a fixed cost based on their level. No magic item costs less than 360 gp. And 100 arrows/encounter? How many encounters are going to last 50+ rounds (if the Ranger uses a 2 arrow power every turn) at level 2? Or even 25+? Orcus might last that long against a party of level 30s. Maybe. If the party doesn't die first.

Very true. But in order for it to be approprately priced, it would have to not follow the costs in the PHB. Also, last time I checked, Potion of Healing was a magic item and it only costs 50 gp (I know, its a consumable, but it is still a somewhat valid argument).

Maybe a quiver that changes the arrows? Bodkin Points? Piercing Arrows? Phasing Arrows? Exploding Arrows? Chilling Arrows? Bouncing Arrows? Seeker Arrows? The possibilities boggle the mind. If you bought, say, and endless quiver of Exploding Arrows, you would get ~5 Exploding Arrows per encounter. These could not be used in conjunction with item powers from the bow, however. No Fireburst Exploding Arrows, but you could do Twin Strike Exploding Arrows.
Thoughts?

AgentPaper
2008-09-06, 09:46 PM
I'd probably just house-rule that all magic items give this property. Maybe limit arrows per day by level. 10 arrows a day per level of the item? More probably.

Starsinger
2008-09-06, 09:52 PM
People keep track of arrows in this day and age?

NecroRebel
2008-09-06, 10:01 PM
Personally, I let my players buy a Quiver of Infinite Arrows as a level 0 magic item, identical in price to an Everburning Torch (50g), and it doesn't take any slot. It's hardly unbalancing, since there is no such thing as magic arrows anymore and magic thrown weapons have essentially infinite ammo (auto-returning), and it forestalls the need for keeping track of arrows or bolts which is almost always just a hassle.

Frankly, for that ability, forcing your players to pay for a level 2 item simply isn't worth it. I mean, really, it takes 15600 shots to make the price of the arrows alone as much as the quiver; if you assume 10 battles per level and 10 arrows per tier per battle, that's still only 6000 arrows by level 30. Even as a level 1 item, the quiver still wouldn't break even (10800 shots to equalize). For 50 gold, which is negligible past level 3 if not earlier, you can buy 1500 arrows, which is enough to last much of your career. Might as well just make those 50 gold last your whole career.

Firestar27
2008-09-06, 10:08 PM
No. This will cause untold DESTRUCTION! You are adding more mass to the world. That would violate the Laws of Conservation of Mass and Energy. If this doesn't break those laws, then the arrows will form out of the surrounding energy. Do you know how much energy is in ONE ATOM? Now imagine the energy needed for an entire arrow. And that's just one arrow. Now imagine this being used over and over again. Don't create this magic item. It will doom us all.

Magnor Criol
2008-09-07, 12:03 AM
No. This will cause untold DESTRUCTION! You are adding more mass to the world. That would violate the Laws of Conservation of Mass and Energy. If this doesn't break those laws, then the arrows will form out of the surrounding energy. Do you know how much energy is in ONE ATOM? Now imagine the energy needed for an entire arrow. And that's just one arrow. Now imagine this being used over and over again. Don't create this magic item. It will doom us all.

Gah! Think of the catgirls, man. The catgirls! You just committed genocide!

Bandededed
2008-09-07, 12:33 AM

I had a catgirl on my desktop, and now SHE'S A FREAKING ZOMBIE! WHY? WHHHHHYYYYY!!?!??!??

On topic:
Personally, I agree with Rebel. If you're going to keep track of arrows anyway (which is a pain in the arse) there'd be no point in buying it as a level 2 magic item.

RTGoodman
2008-09-07, 12:11 PM
How about instead of trying to make it either a Level 0 or Level 2 items, you just make it a normal Level 1 magic item (maybe for the Waist slot) that has a daily power that works with ranged weapons. Maybe ignore concealment on one shot, or +1 to attack and damage for a round or something like that.

Mando Knight
2008-09-07, 12:16 PM

Why must you commit genocide against the catgirls over a matter of not having to keep track of arrows? A Wizard Did It. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AWizardDidIt) That's why it can break our world's laws of physics.

Yeah... a minor magic item like the Everburning Torch or Sunrods might be in order, especially given how dirt-cheap the arrows are.

Edge of Dreams
2008-09-07, 02:11 PM
Okay, I think I've worked up a solution that I like, tell me what you think:

Magic bows that deal elemental damage generate their own elemental arrows, but if you want to deal damage that is not of that element, you have to use a real normal arrow. The prices would not change.