PDA

View Full Version : A Modest Proposal

TheLastOfTheFallen
2006-03-06, 06:58 AM
And hopefully, no babies will be eaten. (Cookie for whoever gets the reference.)

My proposal is one for an entirely new board, one focused on community role-playing. Yes, I know we already have the IC boards, but those are still too narrow for what I have in mind. See, each thread can only have a limited number of people, who can do a limited number of things in a finite amount of time. It is, by necessity, narrow in scope. I envision something broader.

Here it is: A forum that is a city. That’s right, the entire forum would be one giant city. People could make their houses, bars, citadels, shops, guilds, their whatever there.

It would be in the spirit of OOTS, which to me means it would be somewhat goofy, and not defined by rules, but by convenience. Posters would not have to adhere to DnD rules, though the forum should be fantasy oriented, and characters would have to be as such. Defining your characters history before posting would not be required, since it could evolve as you post. The entire thing would be the ultimate expression of free-form: no maps to define the city, since geography would be somewhat subjective, no rules to define your character, since his abilities would also be somewhat subjective.

I know there are issues associated with free-form roleplay, but they tend to work themselves out. Combat, for example, should be handled by the posters who are engaged in it. If things got out of hand, and it became a “I swing my sword and kill you.” “nuh-uh! I kill you first with MY sword!” “Well, before that, I cast a spell so your sword kills you, so HA!” situation, then the mods would step in, but that kind of crap happens very rarely in my experience.

So this post is here to gauge interest, and to see if the moderators like the idea. I hope this goes though – it would be a lot of fun, and have great potential. Now, I ask for your thoughts, to see what the community thinks of this simple proposal.

(I am also posting this in the OOC area. I wasn't sure where it fit best, so if one of those areas is wrong, moderators, feel free to lock the thread that is misplaced, and redirect people to the correct thread.)

WampaX
2006-03-06, 01:55 PM
I can safely say that this will probably never happen here. The Giant was very reticent to expand the forums in such directions in the past and with his current level of annoyance with the boards, its doubtful this would make it past the subcommittie stage.

Also, such a place would require a level of Modding closer to an actual job which few of the current Mods would have the time to take on and it would be very difficult to hire enough new Mods so that there would be a constant shift rotation.

I'm sure there are other places on the web where this is/would be a much more feasible idea, but not here, at least not right now.

Gamebird
2006-03-06, 06:27 PM
Count me in as having a high degree of the opposite of interest.

HempRope
2006-03-06, 06:58 PM
I would agree. That sounds like a MMORPG without the software, which isn't, in my opinion, relevant to Rich's goal(s) for the site.

(And I've had bad experiences with freeform roleplay.)

Zherog
2006-03-06, 08:41 PM
Welcome to The Castle of Fun (http://boards1.wizards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=279) - a forum on the Wizards of the Coast Message Boards exactly like what the OP describes.

TheLastOfTheFallen
2006-03-06, 08:48 PM
Welcome to The Castle of Fun (http://boards1.wizards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=279) - a forum on the Wizards of the Coast Message Boards exactly like what the OP describes.

Actually, I've RPed in the Castle of Fun. It is a bit too much like Silly message board games. I had something more in mind along the lines of Terisia City, actually.

Reptile
2006-03-08, 12:44 AM
And hopefully, no babies will be eaten. (Cookie for whoever gets the reference.)

I'm also lukewarm at best about the idea, but I'm mostly posting to claim (http://www.english.upenn.edu/~jlynch/Courses/95c/Texts/modest.html) the cookie.

Mmm, cookie. Made with real...never mind.

CabbageTheif
2006-03-09, 01:47 AM
well, i've got plenty of potatoes, so i wont need to. not for a while (grabs cookie)

i also had some ideas, and this seems like adecent spot to place them. one: is a chatroom realisticly plausable for the site, or just too much hassle

and two: i have a gaming idea which would be fun, less complex then the orriginal proposal, more complex than most games out there. a role playing competition, one on one, standard elimination style. a tournament!

HempRope
2006-03-09, 06:53 PM
two: i have a gaming idea which would be fun, less complex then the orriginal proposal, more complex than most games out there. a role playing competition, one on one, standard elimination style. a tournament!
I'd imagine you could go ahead and recruit for it in the OOC forum. Just go... start a thread.

Ego Slayer
2006-03-09, 09:58 PM

Oh dear.. not MORE irony.. ;)
Yes, I'm actually taking a satire class in which we will be reading that. :P

SilverElf4
2006-03-09, 10:13 PM
Old age realizes the dreams of youth: look at Dean Swift; in his youth he built an asylum for the insane, in his old age he was himself an inmate. - Soren Kierkegaard, Either/Or

Who knows Xathan, maybe your dream will come true too. ::cue eerie music:: :o

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-03-13, 12:40 PM
Well, I like the idea.

BlueWizard
2006-03-20, 04:48 PM
A great, big world is fun. I tried to do it as a 'tavern-game', but it is SO big. You'd need a program or many people to moderate it. The potential is huge. I have heard of on-line games. I have to stick with simple dial-up, so no fancy stuff for me.

Kyle
2006-03-20, 04:55 PM
http://s10.invisionfree.com/Greatest_RPG_Board/index.php? Is a website based on this idea, its run by Alex humble.

Renrik
2006-05-18, 10:36 PM
A community just like the one suggested is taking shape in Silly Message Board Games. It should be given it's own board.

Mortia De Luna Draco
2006-05-19, 01:22 AM
If the problem is having a Mod to watch what the town does, I would volunteer my time to do so.
(I don't know if that makes me an egomaniac or what, but hey, I love the Idea of a town.) I am already running the advertisement of the town, (now named the Playground, for obvious reasons.) I know the rules, and have a decent amount of free time on my hands. And hey, if it doesn't work out, it could always be shut down. That would be a good motivation for the people that really want it to behave... ;D

Murky_Pool
2006-05-23, 09:27 AM
Ah, I wondered where the Silly Games Town came from. I did think it sprang up too quickly to have been a random event.