PDA

View Full Version : Spam War II

Winged One
2006-03-18, 05:56 PM
Well, I think they've banned the spammer's current IP, so now to tell people what's going on.

Basicly, this (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1141297668) happened again, but the spammer started using new tactics, most notably spamming in the threads about him. Forum Staff got online and zapped his IP, and some more mods are online getting rid of the spam now. I've probably got the events wrong, but that's what it seemed like to me.

RawBearNYC
2006-03-18, 06:07 PM
I need to ask members to stop trying to engage these idiots. In both attacks, the spammer was spurred on to new lows. And in the case of this last attack, the warnings ended up being just as offensive as the original topics. PM any and all mods you see, but don't attempt to correct the problem yourself. My IM is (a little too) conveniently part of my profile, feel free to use it in cases like these.

Jack Squat
2006-03-18, 06:52 PM
Rawbear, would it be possible to have a "Alert post" button by the modify for cases like this,it auto sends to all mods, and after so many hits and it gets removed for reviewing. i know it may be considered vigalante modding, and could be abused, but for the majority of posters here, it'd be one of those "Break in Case of Emergency" features.

I know there aren't always mods online to watch for these types of people, and with him posting actual pictures here this second time, it'd be to the benefit of all without short-term memory loss.

Single Shot Zombie
2006-03-19, 03:10 AM
Huh, missed all the action; sucks to be living on the other side of the globe from you all........

Btw, just wondering; when a moderator bans someone's IP address from accessing the forums, is the person completely banned from even reaching the forums, or is he/she only prevented from posting (i.e. still able to read the forums even when banned.)?

iamkoolerthanu
2006-05-08, 11:01 PM
I have no idea, and also, if you are sharing a computer with another person[say, sibling, roomate, ect] and you get banned, does it ruin the other persons account too?

RawBearNYC
2006-05-09, 10:36 AM
An IP ban will completely prevent reading the boards at all. And yes, if you have a shared IP with someone who got banned, you'd be banned too.

It might be possible to talk to Rich about removing the IP ban, but we've been around the message board block more than a few times and have heard the "It was my brother's, best friend's, cousin's fault" before.