PDA

View Full Version : The Achronist, Base Class [PEACH]

AetherFox
2008-09-11, 06:18 PM
Hello all. This is my first real attempt to create a class, but be brutally honest with possible improvements please...

Achronist
“Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.” –George Orwell

Abilities: An acronists power is based on his good judgment and ability to quickly react to situations. Wisdom is vital for acronists, since it determines the effectiveness of most of his abilities, including the save DC for his time flux ability. A high constitution allows him to remain focused during time slows and, of course, provides more hit points.

Races: Races are extremely varied among acronists, as the ability to manipulate time is often passed down through genetics. Whatever the race, achronists are few and far between.

Alignment: Achronists have no restrictions of alignment, though are typically neutral or good. Those who know little about magic tend to regard achronists as lunatics, however sane they may seem.

Hit Die: D8

Class Skills: The acronist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (he planes) (Int), KNowledge (Arcana) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skills Per Level: 4+ Intelligence modifier (x4 at 1st level)

Achronist
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2| Time Flux 1d6

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3| Replay, Time Speed +1 Move action

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3| Time Flux 2d6

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4| Time Slow 1/day

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4| Time Flux 3d6, Time Speed +1 Standard action

6th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5| Greater Replay

7th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5| Time Flux 4d6

8th|
+4|
+2|
+6|
+6| Time Slow 2/day, Regeneration 5

9th|
+4|
+3|
+6|
+6| Time Flux 5d6, Bestow regeneration

10th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7| Time Speed +1 Full Round action

11th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7| Time Flux 6d6,Regeneration 8

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+8|
+8| Superior Replay

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+8|
+8| Time Slow 3/day

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+9|
+9| Time Flux 7d6

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+9|
+9| Regeneration 10, Timeless Body

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+10|
+10| Temporal Protection

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+10|
+10| Time Flux 8d6

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11| Time Speed +2 Full round actions

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11| Time Slow 4/day, Timestop 2/day

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12| Time Flux 9d6, Replay Mastery, Time Stop 3/day[/table]
Class Features: All of the following are class features of the Achronist

Weapons And Armor Proficiency: Achronists are proficient with all simple weapons, shields and light armor.

Time Flux (SP): At first level an achronist gains the ability to assault a target with chaotically fluctuating time, at will. This is standard action that is emitted as a 30-foot ray, and the achronist must have line of sight with the target to attack. A successful fortitude save equal to ½ the achronist level+ achronist’s wisdom modifier +10 negates all damage delt by this attack. Those that do not age, such as undead and constructs, are unaffected by this ability.

Replay (SP): At second level, an acronist gains the ability to replay a brief moment in time. He can reroll any check made for how he performs an action. (For example, attack rolls, saves, damage rolls, and skill checks. (Besides checks such as autohypnosis or knowledge checks) This cannot affect things other creatures do, such as their attack or damage rolls.) This is an immediate action, and the acronist musts take the second roll, regardless. He can use ability even when dead, so long as he stops the catastrophe in one round, and he can use this action equal to his achronist level/2, times per day, rounded down.

Time Slow (SP): At fourth level, the achronist gains the ability to slow down a period of time anumber of times per day equal to his wisdom modifier. This ability functions like the spell slow, caster level equal to achronist level. The save DC is 1/2 class level + wis mod + 10.

Time Speed (SP): At second level, an achronist gains the ability to make his allies faster. They gain an additional action per round, as shown on the table. In addition they gain a bonus on attack rolls, reflex saves, and a dodge bonus equal to the achronist level/2. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to the achronist level/4, minimum 1. Time Speed can be used a number of times per day equal to the acronist’s wisdom modifier/2. The achronist cannot move during this ability and must make a concentration check to continue using it equal to 15+damage taken last round+(rounds of consecutive use*2) after the first round of use.

Greater Replay (SP): At sixth level, an achronist gains the ability to use greater replay. This functions exactly like replay, except the achronist chooses which roll to take. This spell like ability takes up two uses of replay. (For instance, a sixth level achronist could use one greater replay and one lesser replay per day, or three replays.)

Regeneration (EX): At eighth level, an achronist can actively speed up his body’s immune systems, granting him regeneration as specified, for a number of rounds per day equal to his wisdom score-8

Bestow Regeneration (EX): At ninth level, an achronist may speed up the immune system of any willing living creature. This still uses his rounds for the day, and cannot exceed the maximum number of these.

Superior Replay (SP): At twelfth level, an achronist can use the ability superior replay. This functions like greater replay, except the achronist rolls three times instead of two, and chooses which roll to take. It takes up three uses of replay. (For instance, a tweth level achronist can use one superior replay, one greater replay, and one replay per day, or six replays, or any other suitable combination.)

Timeless Body (EX): At fifteenth level, an achronist no longer takes penalties to his ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the achronist still dies of old age when his time is up.

Temporal Protection (SP): At sixteenth level, an achronist gains the ability to emit a fifteen-foot sphere around the achronist, in which time slows down incredibly. An achronist and his allies gain a +10 dodge bonus against all physical attacks in the sphere. All enemy creatures in the sphere are effected as if by slow. The achronist can activate and deactivate this as a standard action, and may only have it in effect for a number of rounds per day equal to his wisdom modifier x 2.

Time Stop (SP): At nineteenth level, an achronist gains the ability to use time stop as the spell, a number of times per day as shown on the table, with a caster level equal to his achronist level.

Replay Mastery (SP): At twentieth level, an achronist gains the ability to use replay mastery. This functions as superior replay; however, an achronist can roll 3 dice per round he wishes to replay. He can replay up to 4+Wis modifier rounds in one use. (For instance, if two rounds of combat go by, he may change the same action, such as two attack rolls, in both rounds with one use.) To do this uses five uses of the replay ability.

So there it is. Again, please comment on what can be done to improve it. I'm pretty sure I got the (EX) and (SP)'s wrong, but ah well.

Proven_Paradox
2008-09-11, 06:38 PM
A couple of issues here.

Time Slow (SP): At fourth level, the achronist gains the ability to slow down a period of time. This ability functions like the spell slow, caster level equal to achronist level.Save DC? I would assume 1/2 class level + wis mod + 10, but it needs to be explicitly specified.

Time Speed (SP): At second level, an achronist gains the ability to make his allies faster. They gain an additional action per round, as shown on the table. In addition they gain a bonus on attack rolls, reflex saves, and a dodge bonus equal to the achronist level/2. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to the achronist level/4, minimum 1. Time Speed can be used a number of times per day equal to the acronist’s wisdom modifier/2. The achronist cannot move during this ability and must make a concentration check to continue using it equal to 15+damage taken last round+(rounds of consecutive use*2) after the first round of use.I'm not sure you grasp how crazy powerful this is. Granting extra full-round actions to all allies? This ability will boil down to destroying entire encounters with ease past level 10, assuming anyone else in the party knows what they are doing. Any class that gets this is going to be pretty absurdly overpowered--rather, allow his/her allies to be overpowered.

Greater Replay (SP): At sixth level, an achronist gains the ability to use greater replay. This functions exactly like replay, except the achronist chooses which roll to take. This replaces the replay ability, and he can use this ability a number of times per day equal to his achronist level/3, rounded down.This by itself is one thing, but I notice it has fewer uses per day than the standard version, and once he gains this, he can't use the standard again at all. It may be the case that I'd rather have more uses of the standard replay available than fewer uses of this Greater Replay ability. Perhaps adjust the text so that instead of replacing replay completely, it uses two daily replay uses.

Regeneration (EX): At eighth level, an achronist can actively speed up his body’s immune systems for a number of rounds per day equal to 2+ (his wisdom modifier x 2) It may seem redundant, but you need to explicitly state what this does. "Speeding up his body's immune systems" doesn't actually do anything by itself; you need to connect it to another ability.

Superior Replay (SP): At twelfth level, an achronist can use the ability superior replay a number of times per day equal to his achronist level/4. This functions like, and replaces, greater replay, except the achronist rolls three times instead of two, and chooses which roll to take.Same deal as with greater replay; what if I want to just use a standard replay? I'd say this should use up 3 replays for a day.

Temporal Protection (SP): At sixteenth level, an achronist gains the ability to emit a fifteen-foot sphere around the achronist, in which time slows down incredibly. An achronist and his allies gain a +10 dodge bonus against all physical attacks in the sphere. All enemy creatures in the sphere are effected as if by slow. The achronist can activate and deactivate this as a standard action, and may only have it in effect for a number of times per day equal to his wisdom modifier x 2.I would assume by "times" you mean "rounds?" Either way, I would make it automatically deactivate itself during the achronist's turn, and allow him to use a standard action to put it up again.

Time Stop (SP): At nineteenth level, an achronist gains the ability to use time stop as the spell, a number of times per week as shown on the table, with a caster level equal to his achronist level.Never been a fan of /week abilities. Perhaps you might make it so that one can power this ability through daily replays?

Replay Mastery (SP): At twentieth level, an achronist gains the ability to use replay mastery a number of times per day equal to his achronist level/5. This functions as superior replay; however, an achronist can roll as many as 2+wisdom modifier and choose which one to take.Again, I think you should have this just use multiple daily uses of standard replay. Sometimes, you just want to roll one more time rather than 10.

Xallace
2008-09-11, 06:57 PM
Hello all. This is my first real attempt to create a class, but be brutally honest with possible improvements please...

No problems with that. *cracks knuckles*

Achronist
“Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.” –George Orwell

George Orwell, very nice.

Abilities: An acronists power is based on his good judgment and ability to quickly react to situations. Wisdom is vital for acronists, since it determines the effectiveness of most of his abilities, including the save DC for his time flux ability. A high constitution allows him to remain focused during time slows and, of course, provides more hit points.

Races: Races are extremely varied among acronists, as the ability to manipulate time is often passed down through genetics. Whatever the race, achronists are few and far between.

Alignment: Achronists have no restrictions of alignment, though are typically neutral or good. Those who know little about magic tend to regard achronists as lunatics, however sane they may seem.

Nice flavor. Don't really see any reason for why most Achronists are good over evil, but it's no big deal.

Hit Die: D8

Class Skills: The acronist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skills Per Level: 4+ Intelligence modifier (x4 at 1st level)

That's a very short list. I would suggest improving the number of skills by a little; maybe a few more knowledge skills?

Acronist
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2| Time Flux 1d6

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3| Replay, Time Speed +1 Move action

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3| Time Flux 2d6

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4| Time Slow 1/day

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4| Time Flux 3d6, Time Speed +1 Standard action

6th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5| Greater Replay

7th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5| Time Flux 4d6

8th|
+4|
+2|
+6|
+6| Time Slow 2/day, Regeneration 5

9th|
+4|
+3|
+6|
+6| Time Flux 5d6, Bestow regeneration

10th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7| Time Speed +1 Full Round action

11th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7| Time Flux 6d6,Regeneration 8

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+8|
+8| Superior Replay

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+8|
+8| Time Slow 3/day

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+9|
+9| Time Flux 7d6

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+9|
+9| Regeneration 10, Timeless Body

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+10|
+10| Temporal Protection

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+10|
+10| Time Flux 8d6

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11| Time Speed +2 Full round actions

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11| Time Slow 4/day, Timestop 2/week

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12| Time Flux 9d6, Replay Mastery, Time Stop 3/week [/table]

Forgot the "h" in "Achronist" I think.

Class Features: All of the following are class features of the Achronist

Weapons And Armor Proficiency: Achronists are proficient with all simple weapons, shields and light armor.

No problems there.

Time Flux (SP): At first level an achronist gains the ability to assault a target with chaotically fluctuating time. This is standard action that is emitted as a 30-foot ray, and the achronist must have line of sight with the target to attack. A successful fortitude save equal to ½ the achronist level+ achronist’s wisdom modifier +10 negates all damage. Those that do not age, such as undead and constructs, are unaffected by this ability.

Kind-of a reflavored Eldritch Blast, eh? Hm. Well, as ray, that would require a ranged touch attack. But at the same time, it requires a saving throw, which completely negates all damage? And on top of that, it doesn't work on creatures that age.

My opinion is that this ability needs a bit of a boost. I'd start by either removing the ranged touch attack or removing the save; I'd say the touch attack should go, and allow it on any (single) perceivable creature within 30 feet. That way you get the flavor of a time warp, the power boosts a little, and you can differentiate it from the Eldritch Blast.

Replay (SP): At second level, an acronist gains the ability to replay a brief moment in time. He can reroll any check made for how he performs an action. (For example, attack rolls, saves, damage rolls, and skill checks. (Besides checks such as autohypnosis or knowledge checks) This cannot affect things other creatures do, such as their attack or damage rolls.) This is an immediate action, and the acronist musts take the second roll, regardless. He can use ability even when dead, so long as he stops the catastrophe in one round, and he can use this action equal to his achronist level/2, rounded down.

Aside from some slight grammar issues, this ability looks pretty good as-is.

Time Slow (SP): At fourth level, the achronist gains the ability to slow down a period of time. This ability functions like the spell slow, caster level equal to achronist level.

No problems there, except it doesn't say how many times per day it is usable. Is it at will?

Time Speed (SP): At second level, an achronist gains the ability to make his allies faster. They gain an additional action per round, as shown on the table. In addition they gain a bonus on attack rolls, reflex saves, and a dodge bonus equal to the achronist level/2. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to the achronist level/4, minimum 1. Time Speed can be used a number of times per day equal to the acronist’s wisdom modifier/2. The achronist cannot move during this ability and must make a concentration check to continue using it equal to 15+damage taken last round+(rounds of consecutive use*2) after the first round of use.

Got my head spinning a little here. This is one heck of a buff spell. I think you ought to slow down the progression of extra actions quite a bit. Granting all of your allies three full rounds of action per round of their opponents? Talk about deific. On top of that, second level seems really early for an ability like this. At most, my opinion is +1 move action between levels 5-9, +1 Standard action between 10-14, and +1 Full-round between levels 15-20.

Attack Rolls, Reflex Saves, and AC also go up. This one... I dunno, I think it would take some play-testing to see how it would turn out, but I'd go for a safe +1/3 class level, rounded down. If that turns out a little low, increase to 1/2.

I also don't really see a need for the lack of movement and the concentration. The ability only lasts for, what, five rounds at most? And that's at level 20. I think you can delete that part.

Greater Replay (SP): At sixth level, an achronist gains the ability to use greater replay. This functions exactly like replay, except the achronist chooses which roll to take. This replaces the replay ability, and he can use this ability a number of times per day equal to his achronist level/3, rounded down.

So I get a nice boost to an ability, but I suddenly can't use it as many times a day? I'm a little adverse to that. I say give the boost without the penalty. It's an improvement, there's no real need to balance it against itself.

Regeneration (EX): At eighth level, an achronist can actively speed up his body’s immune systems for a number of rounds per day equal to 2+ (his wisdom modifier x 2)

This ability does not provide any information in game terms. So I can speed up my body's systems... what does that do?

Bestow Regeneration (EX): At ninth level, an achronist may speed up the immune system of any willing living creature. This still uses his rounds for the day, and cannot exceed the maximum number of these.

Same as above.

Superior Replay (SP): At twelfth level, an achronist can use the ability superior replay a number of times per day equal to his achronist level/4. This functions like, and replaces, greater replay, except the achronist rolls three times instead of two, and chooses which roll to take.

See my notes on Greater Replay. Also, I think a slightly better ability at this point would be to let the Achronist replay one entire round of action, rather than just checks or rolls.

Timeless Body (EX): At fifteenth level, an achronist no longer takes penalties to his ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the achronist still dies of old age when his time is up.

Fits well with the class, no problems here.

Temporal Protection (SP): At sixteenth level, an achronist gains the ability to emit a fifteen-foot sphere around the achronist, in which time slows down incredibly. An achronist and his allies gain a +10 dodge bonus against all physical attacks in the sphere. All enemy creatures in the sphere are effected as if by slow. The achronist can activate and deactivate this as a standard action, and may only have it in effect for a number of times per day equal to his wisdom modifier x 2.

Did you mean "number of rounds per day" rather than "number of time per day?" I hope so, otherwise this ability can apparently be kept active continually. On top of that, Dodge bonuses stack, meaning if you're using this and Time Speed simultaniously, your team is basically un-hittable. And enemies get affected by a Slow spell? With no save to speak of either.

I think this needs some powering down. Maybe even a complete change in how it works. I can't think of anything right now, I'll get back to you on it.

Time Stop (SP): At nineteenth level, an achronist gains the ability to use time stop as the spell, a number of times per week as shown on the table, with a caster level equal to his achronist level.

Time-Stop two to three times a week? Sounds alright. I think a once or twice a day power wouldn't be too powerful at all.

Replay Mastery (SP): At twentieth level, an achronist gains the ability to use replay mastery a number of times per day equal to his achronist level/5. This functions as superior replay; however, an achronist can roll as many as 2+wisdom modifier and choose which one to take.

See the notes on Superior Replay mastery. Also, since this is the capstone, maybe you can end up reversing up to a whole minute or more of time instead.

So there it is. Again, please comment on what can be done to improve it. I'm pretty sure I got the (EX) and (SP)'s wrong, but ah well.

I like the idea, but I think a few of the abilities are way out of whack. Just a couple changes and I think you have something quite viable, though.

AetherFox
2008-09-11, 07:38 PM
Ah, see this is where my new-to-homebrewing comes crashing down upon me. I tried to add restrictions to some class abilities, in order to balance the stronger ones. So one big issue was the replay's. I liked Proven_Paradox's ideas, and changed the abilities. Regeneration, also, works as regeneration does now (:smallredface:) and some spelling changes and such. (Curse you microsoft word!) Looking back on Time Speed, I see how any main damage dealing class can shatter, by gaining five or six attacks in one round. However, I'm debating how best to be changed... As for not being able to move during this, I don't see why that should be any different. As for Time Flux, read the first two sentences, but it never says anything about a touch attack...

Kellus
2008-09-11, 11:03 PM
Interesting. I like the time-based abilities, but it seems like a lot of them are just replicas of what wizards and sorcerers can do. Or, as I like to say, it's suffering from Stonelord syndrome. :smallwink:

Try thinking of different unique things that they can do with time, as opposed to just replicating other class' abilities. Also, it's worth pointing out that per day abilities aren't much fun, and per week abilities completely blow. I'd suggest trying to find a way to modify them to per encounter.

You might want to take a look at a homebrew I did quite a while ago, the timethief (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62071), for a few ideas on some other things to do with time. Also, if you're going to give them 4 + Int skill points, you might want to give them a few more skills to pick from. :smallwink:

chronoplasm
2008-09-12, 12:11 AM
...Heres a couple of ideas I'd like to suggest...

Temporal Sleep
Once per day, you can send an ally to a place called Elsetime where an entire day passes in the span of an hour. When that ally returns to normal time an hour later, his or her daily powers are all recharged.

Summon Yourself
Roll a d20. If the number you roll is lower than your current level, summon a younger version of your character with an experience level equal to the number you rolled.

KKL
2008-09-12, 12:30 AM
...Heres a couple of ideas I'd like to suggest...

Temporal Sleep
Once per day, you can send an ally to a place called Elsetime where an entire day passes in the span of an hour. When that ally returns to normal time an hour later, his or her daily powers are all recharged.
You got your editions mixed up.

Also, this class seems to have no real offensive power at all, except for a watered down Eldritch Blast clone. The rest seem nice, if a bit swingy from one of end of bad to the other end of awesome.

Xallace
2008-09-12, 05:36 AM
... As for Time Flux, read the first two sentences, but it never says anything about a touch attack...

Ah, allow me:

Ray

Some effects are rays. You aim a ray as if using a ranged weapon, though typically you make a ranged touch attack rather than a normal ranged attack. As with a ranged weapon, you can fire into the dark or at an invisible creature and hope you hit something. You don’t have to see the creature you’re trying to hit, as you do with a targeted spell. Intervening creatures and obstacles, however, can block your line of sight or provide cover for the creature you’re aiming at.

If a ray spell has a duration, it’s the duration of the effect that the ray causes, not the length of time the ray itself persists.

If a ray spell deals damage, you can score a critical hit just as if it were a weapon. A ray spell threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a successful critical hit.

It's just that wording it as "a ray" implies, well, all of this.
Wording can be tricky when talking about game mechanics.

DracoDei
2008-09-12, 04:03 PM
Regeneration (EX): At eighth level, an achronist can actively speed up his body’s immune systems, granting him regeneration as specified, for a number of rounds per day equal to 2+ (his wisdom modifier x 2)

Change the number of rounds this operates for to Wisdom SCORE -8, this works out to almost exactly the same thing, but rewards increasing Wisdom by one point when leveling up or during character creation rather than being alternating nil and double benefits. It also happens to be mathmatically simpler.

AetherFox
2008-09-12, 04:23 PM
Okay, I like the regeneration idea, and I've been thinking about time speed. Perhaps allies get more move actions instead of others, it might work better...

@Xallace; I wasn't aware that 'ray' assumed an attack roll, so thanks.

pyrefiend
2008-09-12, 05:13 PM
This seems like a primary battlefield controller, but time flux doesn't really seem to fit with that. I think it might make more sense for it to be an area rather than a single target. Of course, the damage would have to be toned down, and the size of the effect should probably get bigger as the Acronist levels up. To me, it seems more intuitive to make time go crazy around someone rather than at someone. How do you fire a ray of time?

On that note, I'm not sure I understand what time flux actually does. Does fluctuating time harm creatures just because it does bad things to the laws of physics (and thus matter)? If so, why are ageless creatures immune? Or, does it actually make the target age? If it does, than I understand the constructs/undead thing, but wouldn't susceptible targets lose years of their life? Actually, that gave me an idea for an acronist ability:

Time Drain (Level 18-19ish)
At somethingth level, the acronist may use his mastery of time to force weakened creatures to age rapidly. This ability can only be used on a creature who is in negative hit points and is dying. The acronist forces the target to age at an accelerated rate, killing them if succesful. Creatures killed in such a way die of old age, thus preventing resurrections of any kind. Even wish or similarly powerful magic cannot return the dead creature to life. This ability requires two full-round actions to complete and provokes attacks of opportunity. The acronist must be adjacent to the target creature while using this ability. At the end of the second full-round action, the targeted creature must make a fortitude save (10+acronist's wisdom modifier+ 1/2 class level). If they fail, they die of old age. If they succeed, they are aged only 2d10 years, which might kill them of old age anyway.