PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Ranged Fighter abilities/features (contributions wanted)

Erk
2008-09-12, 12:27 PM
Goal: To create a defender (the fighter) who can use a bow/crossbow usefully, at least with the support of a backup melee weapon.

Current status: brainstorming.

Class Features
Fighters can choose a weapon talent in Ranged Weapons. This applies to thrown weapons, bows, crossbows, et cetera.

Level 1 at-will exploits
Defensive Shot
You snap off a quick shot with your weapon, expertly diverting enemies' blows to glance harmlessly off your armour.
At-will * Martial, Weapon
Standard action | Ranged weapon
Target: One adjacent creature
Attack: Dex vs. AC
Hit: [W]+Dex damage (increases to 2[W] at 21th level)
Special: You gain a bonus to AC equal to 2+ your Wisdom modifier vs. attacks of opportunity provoked from this attack.

Level 1 Encounter exploits
Tormenting Shot
A few well-placed arrows incite pain, sending weak-minded foes into a charge of blind rage.
Encounter * Martial, Weapon
Standard action | Ranged weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Dex vs. AC (and will: see Secondary Effect)
Hit: 2[W]+Dex damage
Secondary effect: If the original attack roll exceeds the target's Will defense, the target is Pulled a number of spaces equal to your Wis modifier.

Level 2 Utility exploits
Quickdraw
When all your equipment is set up, you're a master of the quick draw.
Encounter * Martial
Free Action | Personal
Effect: You can change weapons (and shield) without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Level 7 Encounter exploits
Punishing Shot
Your arrow in an opponent's back is a hard-earned reminder of the dangers of turning its back on you.
Immediate interrupt | Ranged weapon
Target: One Marked creature
Trigger: A previously Marked creature moves away from you.
Attack: Dex vs. Reflex
Hit: 2[W]+Dex damage

So
PEACH please, and if anyone has some more defendery ranged ideas I'd love to hear them. I'm working on some dailies, not sure what yet.

chronoplasm
2008-09-12, 02:34 PM
I like the premise a lot.

Why does defensive shot only target an adjacent creature though?

Maybe you can make an opposite version of Tormenting Shot that pushes the target instead of pulling. This would combo with Punishing Shot, which could be either desirable or undesirable. I think it would have to be play tested to see.

You know in movies where the hero shoots an arrow that pins an enemy against the wall? Maybe there could be a power that does that. If the target is next to a wall, the attack would get an additional effect where it makes the enemy stay there until the end of your next turn.

RTGoodman
2008-09-12, 02:48 PM
I don't particularly think that archery works as well with the Defender role - I think you might do better to do a Martial Controller that focuses on archery. Either way, though, I may throw in a few things here and there if I can think of cool stuff.

You know in movies where the hero shoots an arrow that pins an enemy against the wall? Maybe there could be a power that does that. If the target is next to a wall, the attack would get an additional effect where it makes the enemy stay there until the end of your next turn.

Pinning Shot -TAB--TAB--TAB--TAB-Fighter Attack 7
You take careful aim to assure the target can't get away.
Encounter ♦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action -TAB- Ranged weapon
Target: One creature in range
Hit: 2[W] + Dex damage and the target is slowed (save ends).
Special: If the target is adjacent to a wall or other solid
obstruction, the target is immobilized instead of slowed (save ends).

You could probably do it as a 3rd-level encounter power if you made the effects last until the end of your next turn, but I like (save ends) better because it shows that they have to struggle to get the arrow out of the wall (or their leg, if they're not next to a wall).

Erk
2008-09-12, 02:57 PM
Pinning an enemy to a wall sounds intriguing.
[edit]That is a great way to write it too. Almost exactly how I'd have done it. I'd make it "until end of next turn" though, save ends seems to be mainly for Daily powers.
If this grows into a design for a Martial Controller, I wouldn't complain!

I'm trying to aim towards powers with a distinctly defender feel, to keep from intruding on a ranger's role as a striker. That means pushing is probably out for ranged. maybe not though? It just seems to me that a fighter at range wants to bring enemies closer to him and get them under control. Kind of the opposite of a ranged striker. maybe.

As for the combo, it's a fun idea but as-written only works if the opponent actually uses a move, so they can still shift/push/slide/etc further from the fighter without taking a shot. I dunno if htat limitation is necessary versus an encounter ability though.

Another thought:
Level (high) Daily exploits
Don't Go There
You set your sights on a few terrain features, poised and ready to protect your allies against any interlopers.
Daily * Martial, Weapon
Standard Action * Ranged weapon Wall 6
Effect: you may make an Opportunity Attack with an equipped ranged weapon against any enemy currently in or entering the wall's space. You are still limited by how many opportunity attacks you may take per turn.
Special: Your Opportunity attack does not provoke a corresponding OA from adjacent enemies.
Special: You cannot use this ability on any wall squares you are adjacent to.
Duration: Sustain minor.

chronoplasm
2008-09-12, 03:05 PM
I'd go with a different name for You Shall Not Pass there, since your not Gandalf, but other than that its a fun idea.

Heres some goofy ideas:

Last Steps a Doozy
Target: One creature, or any number of target creatures in line of sight that are standing on stairs.
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 2[W]+dexterity
Effect: If a creature damaged in this way is standing on stairs, it falls to the bottom of the stairs and its prone until the end of your next turn.

Knock Knock
Target: One creature, or any number of target creatures in line of sight that are adjacent to a door
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 2[W]+dexterity
Effect: If a creature damaged in this way is adjacent to a door, that creature is knocked prone.

RTGoodman
2008-09-12, 03:18 PM
That is a great way to write it too. Almost exactly how I'd have done it. I'd make it "until end of next turn" though, save ends seems to be mainly for Daily powers.

Thanks. I like it as save ends, though, even if that's normally for dailies, because slowed and/or immobilized are available at lower levels until the end of your next turn, so as a higher-level power I think it's okay. And honestly, they're not exactly the most powerful effects (neither grants CA, and they don't impose penalties except to movement).

If this grows into a design for a Martial Controller, I wouldn't complain.

I've thought about it for a while anyway. I'll think about some new powers and probably come back with them.

Edge of Dreams
2008-09-12, 03:24 PM
I agree that a ranged defender really doesn't make a lot of sense. Having ranged attacks is nice for any class, but the whole point of staying at range in the first place is to not get hit, which is counter to the way most defenders are played.

I do, however, fully support the development of another bow/crossbow based class that is neither the Ranger or the Rogue. A martial controller of some time, fun!

Erk
2008-09-12, 04:11 PM
Thanks. I like it as save ends, though, even if that's normally for dailies, because slowed and/or immobilized are available at lower levels until the end of your next turn, so as a higher-level power I think it's okay. And honestly, they're not exactly the most powerful effects (neither grants CA, and they don't impose penalties except to movement).
I dunno, level 7 is not that high. I'd say, maybe make it slow for a turn normally but immobilise until save ends. Or just take out the slowing altogether: pinning to a wall is quite a bit more defender-y than slowing, and the limitation of the tgt having to be adj to a wall or solid object makes the save ends more balanced.

I agree that a ranged defender really doesn't make a lot of sense. Having ranged attacks is nice for any class, but the whole point of staying at range in the first place is to not get hit, which is counter to the way most defenders are played.

I do, however, fully support the development of another bow/crossbow based class that is neither the Ranger or the Rogue. A martial controller of some time, fun!
I think it could be made to make sense, but I'm not sure we could come up with enough powers for a defender to keep it making sense all the way through a class progression it's true. I mean, so far I think we've put down quite defendery powers... but how many more are there?

On the other hand, if we start gearing towards something that is a bit of a defender/controller fusion, leaning towards controller, we'd have something that filled a pretty unique niche.

Suppressing Hail: Encounter (7?)
You unleash a series of shots that rain wildly down on your enemies, forcing them to take great care or be skewered.
Standard Action | Ranged weapon Area blast 2
Target: One creature within blast
Attack: Dex vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] per missile that hits the target; the target is hit by 1d6 missiles.
Miss: The target is hit by only 1 missile, doing half damage.
Effect: The area within the blast becomes Difficult Terrain until the end of your next turn (regardless of if the attack hit or missed).

Flametrail Shot: Encounter (1?)
You draw a shot , dip it into a pouch of black ooze, and set it loose. As it flies, the fluid bursts into flame, spattering burning droplets everywhere.
Standard Action | Ranged weapon
Target: One creature; also creates a line of effect.
Hit: 2[W]+Dex modifier damage
Special: The target's square and 1d6 squares in the path followed by the arrow are filled with fire (you choose which squares are filled). Any creature whose turn starts in a flaming square takes 2d4 fire damage.
The fire persists until the end of your next turn.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-13, 11:25 PM
How about this?

Cyclone Shot - ?
"You fire an arrow that sends your foe spinnig around to face a nearby ally"
? * Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Ranged Weapon
Hit: X[W] + dex modifier damage and you select an ally within 5 squares of the target. The target is marked by that ally until the end of your next turn and and is dazed (save ends). If the attack also beats their will defence, the ally pulls them a number of squares equal to your _ modifier.

^ Basically, it sends a foe after an ally but the foe can only use one action to go near the ally. THen they lay a whooping on them and the gang-beating begins. Thoughts?