PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars SE Wealth By Level?

Ascension
2008-09-15, 04:18 PM
I just got the Saga Edition book. In reading through it I was surprised to note a lack of suggestions for creating characters at levels above one. While character generation at high levels is mostly self-explanatory in d20-based products, and this one seems to be no different in that respect, the one sticking point is the question of how much money to make available to your players. D&D has Wealth By Level as a handy baseline to work from, but SE seems to lack any sort of guidelines for credits-by-level. I appeal, then, to the Playground: Do you have any advice for starting credits at levels above one?

Saph
2008-09-15, 04:27 PM
The book does actually have some advice on wealth-by-level, just no table. Read Page 248, in the 'Gamemastering' chapter.

Doing some quick mental arithmetic, a PC who's been receiving the standard reward sum should have roughly 5 x their XP total in credits. However, this assumes they haven't spent or lost any of it, which is pretty unrealistic. Star Wars characters in the books and movies are constantly losing their equipment or ending up broke, so there probably isn't a hard-and-fast WBL figure.

- Saph

Beleriphon
2008-09-15, 04:29 PM
Doing some quick mental arithmetic, a PC who's been receiving the standard reward sum should have roughly 5 x their XP total in credits. However, this assumes they haven't spent or lost any of it, which is pretty unrealistic. Star Wars characters in the books and movies are constantly losing their equipment or ending up broke, so there probably isn't a hard-and-fast WBL figure.

- Saph

Keep in mind of course the cost of equipment is not designed as a balancing factor like D&D. The designers have posted as much several times on the WotC Star Wars RPG boards. So something costing 5000 credits and something else costs 500 credits doesn't mean that one is going to be more designed for higher level characters, only that the designers though it should costs more in game because of what it is.

Ascension
2008-09-15, 04:36 PM
Star Wars characters in the books and movies are constantly losing their equipment or ending up broke, so there probably isn't a hard-and-fast WBL figure.

True. Not quite what I was looking for, of course, but thanks for the advice.

The prices for things seem a little wonky anyway. A bacta tank's bonuses seem rather small, but the cost to operate one is enormous. The better armors and portable computers also seem more expensive than they're worth, while the best weapons may be a little over-cheap (though still difficult to obtain thanks to the whole licensing issue).

EDIT: And this objection was partly explained by the above poster. This is what happens when you stop to look up price tables in the middle of a post.

TheThan
2008-09-15, 04:45 PM
Like others have said, the game doesn’t rely upon hard and fast rules for gear. That’s what’s great about it. A blaster and a few other bits of equipment are all you need. Unless your wanting to give them a ship there shouldn’t be a problem.

Saph
2008-09-15, 05:14 PM
The prices for things seem a little wonky anyway. A bacta tank's bonuses seem rather small, but the cost to operate one is enormous.

Bear in mind that healing in SW Saga is really difficult. Second Wind and Treat Injury both only restore HP once a day, and bacta/surgery is one of the only ways to speed up healing. But even then, it's still probably not worth it unless you have a really good medic and money to burn.

- Saph

Ascension
2008-09-15, 06:51 PM
Bear in mind that healing in SW Saga is really difficult. Second Wind and Treat Injury both only restore HP once a day, and bacta/surgery is one of the only ways to speed up healing. But even then, it's still probably not worth it unless you have a really good medic and money to burn.

- Saph

It's a problem because I've been trying to build said really good medic (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=81547) and I don't have money to burn.

Speaking of which, it's hard to build a medic because you can't dump STR if you want to carry around a medical kit...

20 kilos? Really? And this is the bare minimum for treatment?

Saph
2008-09-15, 07:15 PM
It's a problem because I've been trying to build said really good medic (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=81547) and I don't have money to burn.

Speaking of which, it's hard to build a medic because you can't dump STR if you want to carry around a medical kit...

20 kilos? Really? And this is the bare minimum for treatment?

Well, it's more like the maximum than the minimum. You can do first aid and HP-restoring just fine without a medical kit - you only need a medpac. The medical kit is for treating poison/disease/radiation and for giving a +2 bonus on Treat Injury rolls.

One option is to leave your medical kit in the car/spaceship, but that's often not practical. It might be easier just to buy an ASP labour droid and have it carry your stuff. :)

Regarding the money issue, the Wealth talent will mostly solve your problem if you're planning to carry on taking levels of noble. In any case, you'll need to be able to carry your weight in other areas as well as being a medic, as Treat Injury only restores HP once per character per day.

- Saph

NEO|Phyte
2008-09-15, 07:22 PM
Ah, the Wealth talent. Nothing like a free 5000xclass level boost in cash every level.
*is totally funding a custom-built ship to be built by the groups gunslinger/mechanic/nutjob*