PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How would you adjust the price of this psionic item? Critiques also wanted!

newbDM
2008-09-16, 11:37 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/sc00048879.jpg

How item works:

It is based on the psionic power Energy Missile (*clicky*) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyMissile.htm). However, it only fires a single missile of energy at a single target at a time, instead of firing up to five missiles of energy at five different targets.
There are three glowing gems on the handle: The one on the very top glows with a blue light from within, the second one down glows with a red light from within, and the third one down glows with a pink light from within.
When the trigger on the item is pressed (a standard action which does not provoke AOOs) one of the gems, starting from the top one and descending downward on subsequent shots, loses it's glow as an energy missile is fired at a target of the wielder's choosing.
A target can either be a creature or object.
The range of this item is 130ft.
The color of each gem indicates the type of energy the Energy Missile is made out of, and what save is used for half damage vs. full damage: Blue=Cold, Red=Fire, and Pink=Sonic.
The gems recharge everyday upon sunrise.
his items effectively counts as a Use-Activated item.
It's save DC would be DC13 (lv.2 power [+2], and the minimum Int score needed for a psion would be 12 [+1]).

I believe I have mostly worked everything out (this is my first time design a psionic/magic item as a DM), but I am having a problem with it's price. It will be found near the top of the current dungeon my PCs are on (right before the Sub Boss), but I need to know what it should cost for wealth balancing.

According to p.285 of the DMG this item would be:
Effect
Base Price
Use-activated, or continuous
Power Level x Manifester Level x 2,000gp
Charges per day
Divided by (5 divided by charges per day)

Therefore, I believe the item would equal 7,229gp (rounded up). However, I am worried that since I altered the Energy Missile power so that it only hits one target instead of five, this means that the price on the item should actually be less. Can any of the pros here please help me with this?

Also, I would love to hear any opinions, advice, or critiques about this homebrewed item. It is my first as a DM, so I'd like to hear anything you have to say, good or bad.

Thank you in advance for any help!

DracoDei
2008-09-17, 03:51 PM
Yes, that certainly would lower the price, IF a ML 3 psion was shooting 5 missiles, which I doubt... the greater limiting factor seems to me to be that there are three different effects, each of which can only be used once a day (not actually a limitation so far, variety is just as good as focus for these purposes), and they have to be used IN ORDER.... a multiplier of about 0.75 might be appropriate as a wild guess.