PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Gunslinger Ranger Build PEACH

Ceiling009
2008-09-19, 04:56 PM
So I wanted to make a more gunslinger-y version of the ranger; and I'd like a bit of help.

New Build: Gunslinger Ranger
You excel in the use of firearms, and though a ranged fighter, you are versatile enough to be firing shot after shot in the heat of battle, and in close combat with your foes.

Much like the Archer Ranger, your main ability score should be Dexterity, as most of you attacks are ranged; yet Constitution is extremely important, as you are constantly in the middle of the fight. Wisdom, should be your tertiary ability score.

Suggested Feat: Two-Weapon Fighting (Human feat: Defensive Mobility)
Suggested Skills: Dungeoneering, Acrobatics, Endurance, Perception, Stealth
Suggested At-Will Powers: Close Combat Shot, Twin Strike
Suggested Encounter Power: Trick Shot
Suggested Daily Power: Shoot and Strike

Gunslinger Style
You gain a +2 AC against any opportunity attacks provoked by firing a ranged weapon when adjacent to an enemy. You may also treat one handed ranged weapons as having the off-hand property. You also gain the Quick Draw feat, even if you do not meet the prerequisites. When attacking enemies within 5 squares of you, you gain a +1 bonus to damage ranged attacks, and this bonus is +2 when adjacent to enemies.

At-Will Powers

Close Combat Shot Ranger Attack 1
You can fire right into the face of the enemy…
At-will ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Ranged Weapon
Requirement: Ranged Weapons only
Target: One Creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 1[W]; at 21st level increases to 2[W]
Special: If adjacent to an enemy, you do not provoke an opportunity attack for using a ranged weapon.

Encounter Powers

Trick Shot Ranger Attack 1
Even wild shots aren’t so wild.
Encounter ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Ranged Weapon
Requirement: Ranged Weapons only
Target: One Creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage
Special: You gain a power bonus equal to your wisdom modifier on this attack.

Daily Powers

Shoot and Strike Ranger Attack 1
Your shots and strikes are an interchangeable flurry.
Daily ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged Weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding two light blades, pistols, or a mix of both
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC (main hand)
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage; Secondary Attack
Secondary Target: One adjacent creature
Secondary Attack: Dexterity vs. AC (off-hand)
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage
Special: If adjacent to an enemy, you do not provoke an opportunity attack for using a ranged weapon.

I have some issues with the actual gunslinger style, I want some input... and I'd like some suggestions for more powers; as it seems that in the upcoming Martial Powers book, there's a lot more variant powers... thanks.

RTGoodman
2008-09-19, 05:34 PM
I like the idea, since I do love me some gunslingers, so here's a couple of suggestions:

-Re-name "Trick Shot." I think a Trick Shot power would work out better as a daily power that lets you make a ranged attack that ignores cover. Maybe rename it "Take Aim" or something.

-For a utility power (encounter or maybe daily, if you think it's too powerful), let the gunslinger reload a gun as a minor action. That's assuming, of course, that guns are a Reload Move or Reload Standard already. If they're a minor, then ignore this.

-Shoot and Strike seems a little awkward to me. What exactly is it supposed to be? A shot against a far-off target and then a pistol-whip against an adjacent enemy?

Ceiling009
2008-09-19, 06:04 PM
actually, guns are load free, but a standard action to reload a magazine... it's basically like the repeating crossbow... The thing about Trick Shot, it's that I imagined it more like you fire your gun in almost random manner, but somehow always hitting your target... versus ricochet shot; which was a floating idea i had about ignoring cover... also Point blank shot at paragon tier does that to all ranged attacks within 5 squares. But you do have a point.

Yeah, I was unhappy with shoot and strike, but I couldn't really figure out a smoother or better sounding way, if you have a version you'd like to share, I'd be happy to hear it. I wanted shoot and strike to be something like twin strike, except that you could add a melee strike or ranged attack with it. So like, you could shoot the target right beside you, then hit them with a pistol whip, or a dagger, or shoot twice, or pistol whip twice; or basically pull a dagger or sword sword almost twin strike. But I figured, or rather hope most people tend to use the shoot and then stab method more. But what do you guys think?

Also about the reload power idea... that's cool, maybe encounter power to reload a magazine as a minor action... Also maybe in a little later post, I'll put up my Modern gun Conversions, so as to make a little more sense for the gunslinger build.

Ceiling009
2008-09-21, 12:00 AM
I finished my take on firearms, as they are more modern than standard DnD; they're in a pdf, to make the tables and the like look all nice...

http://lunespire.googlepages.com/Firearms.pdf