PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on new RPG...

Lycan 01
2008-09-21, 10:13 PM
My mind is always active, thinking of new plots, campaigns, and systems.

Currently, me and my friends are playing Call of Cthulhu, BRP version. As far as homebrewing goes, I have some experience. Our current campaign is set in Silent Hill. Amazingly, I succeeded at fairly statting stuff out - even Pyramid Head! He wasn't too hard, but he definitely wasn't easy... :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I've been contemplating a few homebrew settings using the BRP D100 system. Essentially, I'll tweak the Cthulhu char sheets, weapons, et cetra, and toss them into a new setting. I have 4 ideas, and most of my players are interested in at least one. I'm not looking for advice on how to make them. I'm just asking one which ones you guys think would be the most fun and entertaining.

My ideas are:

Resident Evil - easily converted from CoC. Sanity becomes a Virus Gauge, and I've already worked out the system, which works in theory. Weapons and occupations and such are easily converted. The only real work would be enemy stats.

Star Wars - somehwhat difficult to convert, but worth the effort, IMO. Sanity system can be converted into a Force System - I've already gotten it figured out, and all I need to really do now is test it out. However, occupations, weapons, et cetra have to be redone from scratch.

Monster Hunter - a lot of my friends play Monster Hunter. The skill systems and such are well suited for this game, although I think a D20 system would be best... Personally, I think this would be a ton of work, but me and most of my friends think it would be well worth the effort.

Dystopian Future - a dystopian future, a la V for Vendetta or 1984. The players are freedom fighters, doing espionage and guerilla warfare type stuff. Not much work to be done here, really. Just take out the Sanity System, and make the HP system a bit beefier so players don't drop dead too quickly. It still won't be a run 'n gun system, of course...

As it stands, I have 2 votes Resident Evil, 2 votes Monster Hunter, and 2 votes Dystopian Future. (Players have been allowed multiple votes - 4 have voted)

So what do you guys think? Please, no serious advice, just opinions on which would be the best game(s) to work on. Advice can be givien once I actually decide on which one(s) to work on......

Thanks for reading, and thanks to all who offer their help in this endevour. :smallsmile:

Zeta Kai
2008-09-21, 10:52 PM
Well, if you need anything for Resident Evil, I'd suggest taking a look at Resident Evil D20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2833324). It has every monster statted out, all the weapons, along with rules for the T-Virus, the G-Virus, the Plagas from RE4, & a bunch of other stuff.

Lycan 01
2008-09-21, 11:22 PM
Ooooh... Well that's pretty nifty. I'll keep that one in mind. :D

drengnikrafe
2008-09-21, 11:38 PM
I'd love to see a RE one, above the other ones.

Of course, this whole thing sounds like great fun. You're a crazy dude, and all the work is awesome.

Lycan 01
2008-09-21, 11:49 PM
Currently we now have:

Star Wars - 0
Resident Evil -3
Monster Hunter - 2
Dystopian Future - 2

Looks like we're heading towards Resident Evil... :smallamused:

StormingMarcus
2008-09-22, 01:20 PM
I think Star Wars is much more heroic than what you're looking for...
So, my vote goes to Resident Evil; a d100 conversion would just be sweet!
And sanity as a virus gauge is a very clever idea in my opinion.
But you could also keep sanity and make the virus gauge a parallel to it.

Lycan 01
2008-09-22, 03:40 PM
Yeah, seems like Resident Evil is gonna be the winner...

The way I see it, the Virus will work as such:

In CoC, when you fail a sanity roll, you subtract points from your Sanity. If you succeed, you either shrug off what you saw, or lose a fraction of what you would have lost.

In the RE game, when you fail a Virus roll, you add points to your Virus Gauge. If you succeed, your immune system fights off the Virus, or you only add a fraction of the Virus points you would have contracted.

Once the Virus gauge is full, you succumb to the Virus, and become a zombie.

And then you get to reak havok on those who failed to save you! :smallbiggrin:

Yep. Totally yanked that from Outbreak. :smallamused:

Actually, maybe if you succumb to the virus, you can do a d100 roll to see what you turn into.

1-70 = zombie
71-85 = Crimson Head
86-95 = Licker
96-100 = reroll

On the reroll...
1-25 = zombie
26-60 = Crimson Head
60-85 = Licker
85-99 = Super-Licker
100 = TYRANT

I know, the Tyrant probably isn't statistically probable... (I forgot the exact zombie:tyrant ratio...) But I want there to be some chance of it... Feel free to shoot that idea down if ya'll want. :smalltongue:

Voshkod
2008-09-22, 03:48 PM
Check out Cold City and Hot War for interesting variations on this theme.

Cold City takes place in post-war Berlin, with most of the city in ruins and the remains of Nazi occult experiments roaming the rubble. The players are members of a joint Allied force - one Russian, one Brit, one Frenchman, one American, ideally - hunting down the horrors.

Hot War is later in the same universe. Both sides of the Cold War learned to use the Nazi occult terrors and when World War III breaks out, you get nukes and nightmares unleashed. Players are members of a UK special force trying to deal with the aftermath in and around London.

Both are by Contested Ground (http://www.contestedground.co.uk/index.html).

Zeta Kai
2008-09-22, 08:54 PM
I know, the Tyrant probably isn't statistically probable... (I forgot the exact zombie:tyrant ratio...) But I want there to be some chance of it... Feel free to shoot that idea down if ya'll want. :smalltongue:

Statistically speaking, you'd get 1 Tyrant for every 10 million zombies that you make, so that's a Z:T ratio of 10,000,000:1.

Lycan 01
2008-09-22, 10:24 PM
Oh...

Right...

Nevermind, then... :smallconfused:

Hm. I might also tweak the health system slightly. Or at least, the healing system.

In CoC, health is not easily recovered. I think that in order to... you know... keep them alive, I'm gonna put Green Herbs, Umbrella-brand painkillers, and First Aid Sprays in the game.

Painkillers = removes 1d4 Virus Points.
Green Herb = recovers 1d4 HP.
FAS = recovers 2d4 HP.

A successful First Aid (or Medicine roll for the painkillers) will either recover the max HP possible for the item, or double the HP recovered if a Critical is rolled. (Critical first aid roll? I'm sure I could have used better terminology...)

Ichneumon
2008-09-22, 11:44 PM
I vote for Dystopian Future, I liked both books you mentioned.

Lycan 01
2008-09-28, 07:06 PM
Its been narrowed down to Resident Evil or Monster Hunter, it seems.

But I have a few complaints:

Resident Evil would provide too much opportunity for players to stray from the planned path. Although, I'm thinking I might set it up like Resident Evil: Outbreak. A pre-set scenario the players must survive through, such as escaping a zombie-infested Hospital, or surviving a zombie siege against a Police Station.

Monster Hunter would work quite well. Just a few hunters in a large open area verses a rather pissed of dragon of some sort. But I'd have to rework the health system, as a single hit would prove fatal going by the CoC system. I mean, really... A single bite from a dragon would be like... 12d6, while a normal PC only has 15 or so health.

And then of course, there's the main issue: What if I choose a system some of my players just don't want to play? Some of my group said they didn't want to partake in a Resident Evil game, while others said Monster Hunter just wasn't their thing.

I'm really not too hot to the idea of doing all this work only to lose half my group. :smallfrown:

Of course, considering the fact that my group is made of 8 people... I think losing a few people might be a good thing...

Wait...

Maybe I should just do both, and let the players join whatever game they prefer? :smallconfused:

Raistlin1040
2008-09-28, 07:10 PM
*Sighs* Can I still vote for Dystopian Future? *Loves 1984*