PDA

View Full Version : Nordic Warror [3.5] [PEACH]

Prometheus
2008-09-23, 03:48 PM
Nordic Warrior
Inspired, quite obviously, from Vikings, the Nordic Warrior is mechanically a fusion of the barbarian and the bard with a couple of extra goodies. It is a little MAD, but the STR-CON-DEX Barbarian and the CHA-DEX Bard is replaced by the CON-CHA-STR Nordic Warrior. I'm sure that its been done before, but I like what it brings to the table. Nordic Warrior is a little akward of a name for now, I might change it later. Feel free to comment on how you think the balance is or what abilities you might add.

Alignment: Any nonlawful
HD: d10
Skill Points: 4+Int (x4 at first level)
Skill List: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (geography, history, local, religion), Listen, Perform, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Fast Movement, Bardic Music, Countersong, Inspire Courage +1

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Call, Endurance

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Inspire Competence

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Drought

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Frightful Presence

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|Diehard

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+5|Greater Call

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6|Inspire Courage+2

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Shout 1/day

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Inspire Greatness

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+7|Shout 2/day

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Song of Freedome

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+8|Shout 3/day

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+9|Inspire Courage +3

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+9|Inspire Heroics

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Greater Shout 1/day

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Greater Drought

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Greater Shout 2/day

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Battle Call 1/day

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Inspire Courage+4, Greater Shout 3/day[/table]
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Nordic Warrior is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, and shields.
Fast Movement: As a Barbarian.
Bardic Music: As a Bard
Call: A Nordic Warrior make a very loud sound with his voice or with a large horn. This can be heard in a mile radius (Ex), but it sends a signal (message of 10 words or less) to any ally or group of allies within 5 miles (Su).
Endurance: As a bonus feat.
Drought (Ex): A Nordic Warrior can drink twice the standard dose of a potion or beverage as a standard action or the standard dose of a potion or beverage as a move action (provided it is on hand). At the DMs discretion, you are to follow Potion Miscibility Rules (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b).
Frightful Presence (Ex): Upon coming within 15ft of a hostile Nordic Warrior. Opponents with HD less than you must make a Will save DC 10+(1/2 Nordic Warrior level)+(Str mod). On a failure causes the opponent to be shaken 2d6 rounds. If the 1/5 the Nordic Warrior's level rounded down is greater than the HD of the opponent, it is instead panicked. A creature that makes its save is immune to a Nordic Warrior's Frightful Presence for 24 hours.
Diehard: As a bonus feat
Greater Call: As call, except that it can be heard in a 2 mile radius (Ex) and sends the same information imparted by the spell Status in addition to a 25 word message (Su).
Shout (Sp): As a spell-like ability. The DC is Con based. Move-equivalent action
Greater Shout (Sp): As a spell-like ability. The DC is Con based. Move-equivalent action. Alternatively, you can spend on of your Greater Shouts per day to Shout as a free action.
Greater Drought (Ex): A Nordic Warrior can drink three times the standard dose of a potion of a beverage as a standard action, twice the standard dose of a potion or beverages as a move action (provided it is on hand), or the standard dose of a potion or beverage as a free action (provided that it is on hand).
Battle Call: 1d6+(Con mod) 10th level Nordic warriors appear are summoned. They arrive with the starting equipment for Nordic Warriors (leather armor, a horn, a shortbow and a greataxe). They attack anyone this Nordic Warrior commands them to fight until they or their opponents are slain or until 1 hour has elapsed, whichever comes first.

Spiryt
2008-09-23, 03:57 PM
Nice combo, although if I am not wrong, could use something more, bard song + full BaB + some more minor stuff isn't too impresive.

Why singing Viking, BTW? It's some sagas reference, or Monty Python reference? :smallbiggrin:

Prometheus
2008-09-23, 04:01 PM
The former would be it.

Yeah, it's not really designed to be incredibly radical, just a little bit interesting. I would however, be interested in hearing Viking/Norse Mythology inspired ideas for abilities.

Spiryt
2008-09-23, 04:10 PM
Singing warrior/poet looks a bit like a member of Fianna, or something like that.

Anyway, as far as I know Viking Sagas are rather full of people dealing awesome blows, impaling their enemies, two weapon fighting and berserks. Not sure about singing.

Anyway, here (http://www.thearma.org/essays/vikingfight.htm) are some sagas fragment's about figthing. Indeed it looks like they have some songs in it.

Prometheus
2008-09-23, 04:27 PM
I guess I'm getting at the fact that there was sagas and war songs in the first place...

mr.fizzypop
2008-09-23, 08:27 PM
Anyway, as far as I know Viking Sagas are rather full of people dealing awesome blows, impaling their enemies, two weapon fighting and berserks. Not sure about singing.

I know vikings were really into poems, they regarded poets as important as warheros or very intelligent scholars. Maybe instead of songs, he could use perform(oratory).