PDA

View Full Version : RPG Concept: Collecting Opinions

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-09-24, 08:07 PM
Alright. My friends and I have decided that we want to do a project here at college, and, being gamers, we've decided to attempt to make a new RPG...

The two questions for the forum are below.

1: Would you, as gamers, be willing to play an RPG that uses Playing Cards as a mechanic rather than the more traditional dice system?

2: Which of the following themes (all of which somewhat fit our mechanic at the moment) would you be most interested in?
--Film Noir
--Western
--Bondesque Spy Thriller

And ideas/opinions are much appreciated!

-The Djinn

Vadin
2008-09-24, 08:20 PM
1) Yes.

2) Western or Bondesque Thriller is excellent. I'm not sure how well Film Noir translates into a group game where multiple players want to be regularly and actively involved in the game.

Pronounceable
2008-09-24, 08:20 PM
1. Sure. I have thought on this before and I'd actually prefer card based gaming and would have made some system already if rolling dice wasn't SOOOO much easier than shuffling cards. You could have any "dice" up to "d13" with a standard deck, imagine the possibilities...

2. All of them? They're all quite interesting genres, but if forced to choose I'd say western.

Moose Fisher
2008-09-24, 08:29 PM
1. Sure, but it depends on how the card mechanics work. Actions could be free, with the cards modifying or allowing special actions.

2. How about a Spy Thriller in the West with Film Noir elements? Pick whatever fits a group game and offers plenty of challenge.

AstralFire
2008-09-24, 09:10 PM
1. Yes! I actually considered a card mechanic for Anteheroes before I decided a dice would make for faster resolutions without losing much cool points.
2. Anything but the western.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-24, 10:47 PM
1) Yes, but not every day. :smallwink:

2) I'd play any, but the Film Noir idea would be my favorite.

Lyndworm
2008-09-24, 10:55 PM
1) Yes, but not every day. :smallwink:

2) I'd play any, but the Film Noir idea would be my favorite.

Quoted for truth.

I think that a card-based system could be very interesting if done the right way, but I wouldn't want to abandon my dice either.

I'd play any, but I'd love to try a film noir style game. Just sounds very interesting.

Zack

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-09-24, 11:25 PM
Awesome. Great to see such a positive reply.

I'll keep the forum alerted to future developments.

More opinions/suggestions are always appreciated!

Ziegander
2008-10-19, 12:33 AM
Card based, eh? How would that work (vague description is fine)? I certainly will say that I am quite intrigued. I'd play a Film Noir game before any of the other choices, but goddammit if I don't love me some High Fantasy!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-10-19, 08:07 PM
I've been debating using a Pool mechanic, actually, as a deck is useful for one bit.

A larger chance of success on a future draw is dependent on the number of failures, as each failure removes a potential failure from the deck. This helps skilled characters keep up success, and removes the hated critical failure chance that dice pools often have.

But I'm open to other ideas, as I'd love to incorporate as many useful ideas as possible.