PDA

View Full Version : True20?

fireinthedust
2008-09-25, 07:44 PM
Anyone experienced with this system? It seems like a cross between Mutants and Masterminds (which I know well) and the generic classes in UA. I've only seen a quick-start set of rules for it, tho.

Any experience with it?

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 07:48 PM
Anyone experienced with this system? It seems like a cross between Mutants and Masterminds (which I know well) and the generic classes in UA. I've only seen a quick-start set of rules for it, tho.

Any experience with it?

I'm not, but I've never heard bad words about it.

Raum
2008-09-25, 07:50 PM
I'm running a game in it. It's very gritty compared to D&D, death (or at least disabled and possibly dying) is a real possibility in almost every combat. Did you have any specific questions?

fireinthedust
2008-09-25, 08:10 PM
1) The adept powers: are they built the way M&M powers are? (ie: customizable and point-based) or are they pre-made like D&D spells?

2) how different or similar is it to M&M? Or is it just like generic Unearthed Arcana D&D? Is it roughly compatible?

3) Is there a forum where someone can find converted True20 stats for D&D modules? Does it carry over easily?

Raum
2008-09-25, 08:22 PM
Hmm, afraid I may not be much help. I'm not familiar with Mutants and Masterminds and I don't use (can't use) prewritten modules.

However, the adept powers are not point based. They're skill based with the skill dependent on your adept level. They're also more generic than D&D spells. "Fire Shaping" is the basis for all fire effects, combined with feats and other powers it can duplicate most overt fire spells. In many ways they have to be more generic, adepts get one power per level at most after level one. If they take a feat they don't get a power that level.

I would call it inspired by UA D&D instead of compatible. There are mechanical differences which would make compatibility difficult. Green Ronin's True 20 forum is normally here (http://true20.com/forum/) however it appears to be down for maintenance at the moment.