PDA

View Full Version : Thread Subscriptions

Fax Celestis
2008-09-29, 11:49 AM
Is there a maximum limit on number of subscribed threads? I like using subscriptions to keep ctrack of my homebrew so that I don't have to search for it whenever I recommend something.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-29, 01:04 PM
I remember in the last thread where this came up, no one knowing of one, and one of the mods had 170+ threads. Granted, given your homebrew, maybe you will need more but...it's probably not an issue until it becomes a bandwidth issue. The other option you have is starting a thread in the Gaming or Homebrew Forum specifically so you have a post you can edit links into, and request no one else post in it. There may be rules issues with that though, so check.

insecure
2008-09-29, 01:24 PM
There's already a thread dedicated to that purpose. Just make a post, and then you can edit your post as much as you want, adding homebrews too it.
And as an additional bonus, you can also link others to it in that way.:smallwink:

EDIT: @V That's the thread I talk about.

RTGoodman
2008-09-29, 01:26 PM
I don't think there's a limit, but I guess if you did hit one you could just bookmark your Homebrewer's Extended Signature post (I think you've got one) and make sure it's up to date. Of course, subscriptions have the added bonus of telling you if people have posted there recently, but if you're not worried about that the HES works.

Zeb The Troll
2008-09-30, 12:23 AM
I remember in the last thread where this came up, no one knowing of one, and one of the mods had 170+ threads.I have over 170 now. Which means Alarra is now probably closer to 200. I need to go clean mine up and delete subscriptions to now dead threads, but anyway, if there's a limit it must be kind of high.

I do the same thing though. I have subscription folder dedicated to stuff I want to be able to reference quickly even though no one is likely to post in them again anytime soon.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-30, 03:38 PM
I have 797 subscribed threads at the moment, so if there is a limit, which I do not think, it is probably rather high.

Zherog
2008-09-30, 03:56 PM
Given the database structure, I would be very surprised if there's an actual limit. It would be similar to saying there's a limit to the number of users or threads or posts. Basically, a subscription is just a row in a database table (sort of like a row in a spreadsheet). The database structure should allow for a theoretical unlimited number of rows within any given table.

Icewalker
2008-10-02, 01:54 AM
When I need to look up my homebrew I just search for all my started threads in the Homebrew section. It's only 2 pages so far, and organized by date automatically, so pretty easy to skim through.

I just use subscriptions to keep track of pbp games.

Neftren
2008-10-02, 07:53 PM
I remember in the last thread where this came up, no one knowing of one, and one of the mods had 170+ threads. Granted, given your homebrew, maybe you will need more but...it's probably not an issue until it becomes a bandwidth issue. The other option you have is starting a thread in the Gaming or Homebrew Forum specifically so you have a post you can edit links into, and request no one else post in it. There may be rules issues with that though, so check.

I believe I did start that thread somewhere... let me go see if I can dig up the link. I had sent WampaX a PM about sticky-ing it, but I don't think I ever got a reply.