PDA

View Full Version : [3.5][Creature] Panserbjørn (Armored Bear)

Vaynor
2008-09-30, 12:06 AM
Panserbjørn

https://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m40h8zkgCO1rp574a.jpg

Large Magical Beast
HD 12d10+72 (138 hp)
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares); swim 40 ft.
Init: +3
AC 25 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +7 natural, +6 armor); touch 12; flat-footed 22
BAB +12; Grp +21
Attack Claw +21 melee (1d10+9)
Full-Attack 2 claws +21 melee (1d10+9) and bite +16 melee (2d6+9)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Improved grab
Special Qualities Low-light vision, scent, adept smith, call bluff, craft sky-iron armor, armor connection, DR 5/-, improved uncanny dodge, resistance to cold 10, uncanny dodge
Saves Fort +15 Ref +12 Will +9
Abilities Str 29, Dex 16, Con 23, Int 15, Wis 15, Cha 13
Skills Craft (armor) +25, Diplomacy +7, Hide +3, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (geography) +5, Listen +9, Sense Motive +18, Spot +9, Survival +9, Swim +20
Feats Endurance, Run, TrackB, Iron Will, Diehard
Environment Cold plains
Organization Solitary, pair, group (2-6)
Challenge Rating 11
Treasure Half standard
Alignment Always lawful
Advancement By character class
Level Adjustment +4

Panserbjørn resemble huge polar bears, wearing shining armor that shimmers in the light. They are both taller and heavier than normal polar bears, and much more formidable. Their deadly claws coupled with their impenetrable armor form a formidable foe.

Panserbjørn usually weigh about 1,800 pounds and are about 6 feet tall when on all fours, but can get up to 15 feet high when standing up. Panserbjørn speak common.

Combat

A panserbjørn is not stupid, and considers risks before combat, but most of the time there is little that can stop an armored bear. A panserbjørn is very honorable and will accept any challenge.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a panserbjørn must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Adept Smith (Ex): A panserbjørn receives a +10 bonus to his craft (armor) checks.

Craft Sky-Iron Armor (Ex): By innate skill in armor crafting and careful practice, a panserbjørn has learned how to craft armor made from sky-iron, a metal found in meteorites. Finding enough metal to make a full suit of sky-iron armor takes 2d4 days of search. Once found, a panserbjørn must take 1d2 days to make his armor, making craft (armor) checks every hour. If any of these rolls results in anything less than 30, an extra 5 hours must be added to the process. Once complete the panserbjørn is exhausted.

Sky-iron armor is treated as a +1 large breastplate that confers DR 5/- and resistance to cold 10 when worn by a panserbjørn. This armor will not fit anyone other than the panserbjørn it was made for without extensive modifications, taking half the time taken to create the armor. The same amount of time must be taken for repairs if the armor is damaged.

Armor Connection (Ex): A panserbjørn’s armor is his soul. An innate connection formed during the creation process increases the panserbjørn’s vigor and abilities. When a panserbjørn is wearing armor that he has created himself, he gains a +2 bonus on all saves, does not count his armor’s weight towards encumbrance, and receives no check penalties, maximum dexterity bonus, spell failure chance, or speed decreases associated with the armor. When wearing his armor a panserbjørn cannot be subject to any intimidation or fear effects, and receives a +4 bonus when making any intimidation check. When wearing his armor, a panserbjørn restores hit points at twice the daily rate.

Call Bluff (Ex): Panserbjørn have an innate ability to detect lies. A panserbjørn gains a +10 racial bonus to all Sense Motive checks, and cannot be subject to feint attacks.

Skills (Ex): A panserbjørn has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. A panserbjørn’s white coat bestows a +12 racial bonus on Hide checks in snowy areas (this is reduced to +6 when wearing his armor).

Inspiration found here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Races_and_creatures_in_His_Dark_Materials#Armoured _Bears_.28panserbj.C3.B8rne.29)

streakster
2008-09-30, 12:10 AM
The deadliest threat to America yet.

DaTedinator
2008-09-30, 12:20 AM
Shouldn't there be some sort of bonus to Sense Motive checks? I don't think making them immune to Bluff checks is a good idea, but they should at least have some sort of bonus.

Also, I think you should probably make Sky-Iron a new material that gives an innate connection between creator and armor, rather than making it a racial feature.

Icewalker
2008-09-30, 12:26 AM
...awesome.

I planned on writing these up myself after reading the books, but it was a while ago and I never got around to it. Fantastic work though, good mechanics for the armor, I was never sure on what to do for it.

Now I need to play one...

Vaynor
2008-09-30, 12:31 AM
Shouldn't there be some sort of bonus to Sense Motive checks? I don't think making them immune to Bluff checks is a good idea, but they should at least have some sort of bonus.

Also, I think you should probably make Sky-Iron a new material that gives an innate connection between creator and armor, rather than making it a racial feature.

The sky armor gives the DR and cold resistance. Everything else comes from their connection to the armor. Why the Sense Motive bonus?

...awesome.

I planned on writing these up myself after reading the books, but it was a while ago and I never got around to it. Fantastic work though, good mechanics for the armor, I was never sure on what to do for it.

Now I need to play one...

Thanks!

Also, expect Gallivespians soon. :smallamused:

Adumbration
2008-09-30, 12:32 AM
Maybe this should be Magical Beast?

Vaynor
2008-09-30, 12:38 AM
Maybe this should be Magical Beast?

You know what? That didn't even cross my mind. Changing it now.

sigurd
2008-09-30, 01:26 AM
How about some fluff like....

Panserbjørn have been known to hire themselves out as mercenaries or work as guides through the bitter arctic. Both the cause and the payment must be noble to gain the their service. Once they have made a pledge they will most often die, rather than abandon it.

Vaynor
2008-09-30, 01:53 AM
How about some fluff like....

Panserbjørn have been known to hire themselves out as mercenaries or work as guides through the bitter arctic. Both the cause and the payment must be noble to gain the their service. Once they have made a pledge they will most often die, rather than abandon it.

But... they don't. :smallconfused:

Edit: I'm sorry, was it not clear? This is based on a book.

insecure
2008-09-30, 08:31 AM
Looks good to me.:smallsmile:

Which book is it?

By the way, that's the first time I've seen someone use "ø" on this forum!:smallbiggrin:

And I'm also danish, so the word "panserbjørn" actually makes sense to me.:smallsmile:

Vaynor
2008-09-30, 10:12 AM
There's a link in the bottom of the post, but it's the His Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillip Pullman. They just released the movie for the first book about a year ago (The Golden Compass). They made it a kids movie, which sucks, it's actually a really good series. :smallyuk:

sigurd
2008-09-30, 10:54 AM
But... they don't. :smallconfused:

Edit: I'm sorry, was it not clear? This is based on a book.

Going by the movie, the exiled prince has had a history of business with the flying pilot who was a mercenary. They have had adventures together presumably since his throne was usurped. He seems very comfortable leading her through the arctic like he has been a guide before.

I agree that its a bit of a stretch but if you want to use the monster in more settings than a royal court of fighting bears a plot crumb or two would be useful.

S

Vaynor
2008-09-30, 11:20 AM
Going by the movie, the exiled prince has had a history of business with the flying pilot who was a mercenary. They have had adventures together presumably since his throne was usurped. He seems very comfortable leading her through the arctic like he has been a guide before.

I agree that its a bit of a stretch but if you want to use the monster in more settings than a royal court of fighting bears a plot crumb or two would be useful.

S

The exiled bear (Iorek) is not a mercenary, he simply groups with one because Lyra hires him to get them to the arctic. He is comfortable leading her through the arctic because he has lived there his entire life (or in a similar environment). They have met before, yes, but it was not in a mercenary-type fashion.

Edit: I'm not saying a DM couldn't use them in that fashion, it doesn't really matter, but as for the monster entry I'm going to stick to the book as much as possible.

DaTedinator
2008-09-30, 04:38 PM
Why the Sense Motive bonus?

...Because they can't be lied to? Or, wait. I read Northern Lights, not The Golden Compass. Maybe that changed?

Vaynor
2008-09-30, 04:42 PM
...Because they can't be lied to? Or, wait. I read Northern Lights, not The Golden Compass. Maybe that changed?

Well I haven't read the book in years. I do remember now that you mention it, though.

Icewalker
2008-09-30, 06:03 PM
I believe there may have been something about not being able to be tricked, yes.

As to them being guides/mercenaries, the only reason Iorek did any of that is because, as mentioned, he was exiled and didn't really have any choice to survive. They are extremely honorable, and I'm not positive but I think it said that that leads to them to avoiding exactly that behavior.

Could be wrong, of course.

Note: Northern Lights and The Golden Compass are the same book with different names, although I'm guessing Golden Compass had some other minor changes, likely only in wording. Like between the English and American versions of the Harry Potter books, they removed the British slang to make it more understandable towards those in the US.

Prometheus
2008-09-30, 06:14 PM
In the Golden Compass, the phase is that "they can't be tricked" except in the case of the panserbjorn that acted like a human. This is stated a couple of different times, and the most stunning example is the complete inability of Lyra to move a stick in a way that Iorek (a panserbjorn) can't anticipate. More than this representing a very high sense motive (which I would suspect to be the case) this probably means uncanny dodge, improved uncanny dodge, and immunity to feint attacks.

Vaynor
2008-09-30, 06:24 PM
I decided to give them a few ranks in Sense Motive. I think that should be good enough.