PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on running the last 2 chapters of RHoD out of order!

KillianHawkeye
2008-09-30, 10:17 AM
I need some help from those of you who have experience DMing or playing Red Hand of Doom. My players have just decided to seek out the hidden masters of the Red Hand Horde a full 2 weeks BEFORE the Battle of Brindol, and I need some help determining what kind of effects that will have on the Battle (assuming the PCs are able to finish their work in the Fane and still make it back to Brindol in time).

Now, I suppose a little background is in order. We just got a new player, so the PC party is up to 9 characters. I've been trying to compensate for this by increasing the number of enemies and upping the difficulty of boss fights, and it's been going pretty well so far. Despite this, however, the players don't believe they'll actually be able to hold the city when the horde attacks since their forces are so outnumbered, even though they've done very well in their efforts to delay the horde and recruit allies to defend the city.

Another thing to note is that I've been pretty nice to them in terms of awarding money and treasure (which they've mostly spent on basic stuff like better weapons and armor) and giving them limited access to teleportation magic (which accounts for their having the extra time that got me into this situation). Now, I realize that I can move up the date of the invasion a few days, but that may not be helpful depending on how long it takes them to return.

So, how do YOU think the Battle of Brindol will play out under these circumstances? What kind of unforseen side effects will I have to account for? I have a couple of more specific questions spoilered below as well.

Should I have the red dragon return to the Fane to take the blue's place (and thwart the party's escape) or just leave him with the army?

Would the loss of upper-level leadership change Kharn's attack strategy at all?

Exactly what kind of effect should the dwarven mercenaries have on the battle, anyway? The book tells me almost nothing about what to do if your players hire them.

Will the aspect of Tiamat be too difficult for the party without the experience gained from the Battle of Brindol, despite their advantage in numbers?

How can the NPCs defeat Kharn if the PCs show up too late?

many many many many thanks!!! :smallsmile::smallwink::smallbiggrin:

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-02, 10:05 AM
Seriously, nothing??

I know there are some people out there who've played or run this adventure. C'mon!

tid1000
2008-10-02, 11:42 AM
Well I guess you really have a few choices.

In my campaign.
-The party was almost wiped out at the end fight inside the fane. They won the day, but remember that an aspect of Tiamat arrives at the climax of that fight, which my party retreated from. These lead to an aspect of Tiamat hunting them into the city where they retreated to via teleportation magic.

-My party did defeat the army at the gates of Brindol, but not until after a brutal and bloody battle that will scar the city for many years to come. Than they had to do it all again against the aspect of Tiamat, which was more interested in destroying their city (for revenge) than fighting them.

Storywise;
If they are dead set on going to the fane, than let them, but don't down grade the threat because of their levels. (Realizing that you have to pretty much rewrite most of the place because of the huge number of PC's that you have).

First, they should not have the location of the fane, and therefore have no way of quickly getting to it or finding it. The Red hand is shielding it from detection via magic. It could consume most of that "two weeks" just finding the place. (add in a few encounters, etc)

Than, interject with a plea from the city via magic that their presence is desperately needed as army is arriving at the city.

This will force them to make that morale choice

If they ignore the call.....
Let them. Should they fail on their initial assualt, have the fane take the battle to them, and chase them with some encounters without decreasing the forces still in the fane. The Red Hand has plenty of resorces still left in the mountains and they can summon help. This will also help build them up a bit with pots, and maybe work it closer to getting a full level.

Than. I'd let them tackle the fane, fight their way in and finish it.

Upon their return, have them find a destroyed Brindel and the army still marching towards dennovar.

To put it basically, they are the hero's. The campaign was wrote to protray them as such from the start. When the hero's abandon the city at the peak of its need, let them realize it afterwards, that their presence would have not defeated the army but swayed the balance.

As too your shielded questions. (I don't know how to do that but I'll reply anyways).

The first one would be worth using, as its a complication, but I'd make sure it gets away.

The upper leadership isn't really going to change alot. I kind of viewed the Army as seperate enity once it left the mountains. Its a steam roller that's got a back up steam roller.

The book gives a Points value for successful events during the battle of brindol. Its success value for a total victory is way to low, and I basically doubled it in my campaign. Looking at the hero's not being at the city to help set up its organization, and influencing the battle = auto failure.

Hero's not there at the battle meeting = the Army of Brindel engages the Red Hand on the open battle field and is slaughtered by the superior force.
They make the meeting but left before the battle.
-Hill giants destroy much of the cities walls.
-The dragon burns much of the city insides to the ground
-All the NPC's die in the battle.

The city is burned to the ground and the army marches onwards to the city by the lake. Which becomes the next battle ground. Make a new city map, and new NPC's and give them another chance.

As to the Aspect. My party of 6 players, had 4 causualties (deaths) when the aspect hit the field. With 9, you're going to have to do some major tinkering to the entire area.

Hope that helps you any