PDA

View Full Version : It slices, It dices, It'l take your head off [3.5 peach]

Owrtho
2008-09-30, 08:19 PM
Well, I've had this weapon idea for a long time. but never got around to doing anything with it. Well here it is.

Guillotine
Appearance: It appears to be half of a guillotine (including the blade, and half of the lunette though it is not hinged). The blade is attached to the long upright and it is held from what would be the top (if it were a regular guillotine). The blade moves freely along either side of the upright at the will of the wielder.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/Owrtho/DnD/guillotine.jpg Note: this picture was thrown together quickly (in paint no less). So please excuse its bad quality. It should however give the basic idea.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/Owrtho/DnD/Guillotine1.jpgThis model was likewise thrown together.
Damage: 1d12 (19-20 x3)
Damage Type: Bludgeoning or Slashing
Weapon Type: Exotic, heavy
Weight: 50 lb.
Reach: 15 ft
Cost: 500 g
Special: The smallest size of this weapon is large (there are no medium or smaller ones or rather the medium version is so big that it is large). The blade can be moved along the upright (either side) as a free action. This allows the wielder to choose whether to deal bludgeoning or slashing damage. In addition all guillotines are treated as having the equivalent of a +1 enhancement due to their ability to have the blade move at will (note this is not a +1 enhancement, just of equal value).
When dual wielding guillotines there are special effects. For each attack made with both, there is an additional 1d6 damage dealt. If an opponent has a discernible head, is at least 1 size category smaller than the two guillotines, and is between 10 and 15 feet away, a grapple attempt may be made on them using the guillotines. Against humanoids there is a +5 bonus to the wielder. If successful, they are trapped in the lunette (DC 30 escape artist check). While trapped, they cannot move and for the sake of the guillotines, considered flat footed. The two guillotines are also treated as a single weapon with the following changes:
Using it against anything aside from the trapped creature requires a strength check to move the trapped creature (DC 15 + 5 per size difference) and it is treated as only one guillotine attacking (moving also requires this check).
Against the trapped creature the damage is 3d12 (15-20 x4) and vorpal (the 15-20 critical range is treated as the base for such effects as keen).
For each missed attack against the trapped creature, there is a cumulative +1 to hit against the trapped creature. This bonus lasts until the creature dies or escapes/is released.
Attacks against the trapped creature are always full attacks.

There is also a special property that can be applied to guillotines.

Retractable
This is equivalent to a +2 enhancement. This allows the uprights to be shortened by 5 ft (or returned to normal length) as a move action (if duel wielding guillotines with this property it only takes one move action for both of them). While shortened, the range to trap an opponent is also reduced.

And a feat.

Execution
You have learned to use guillotines effectively.
Requirements: Proficiency with Guillotines, Monkey's Grip, Two-weapon Fighting
Benefits: You can duel wield guillotines even though their size would normally prevent you from doing so (penilties still apply).

Owrtho

Owrtho
2008-10-02, 08:08 PM
Is this realy beyond any need for revising?

Owrtho

mr.fizzypop
2008-10-02, 08:20 PM
Its seems to be a pretty powerful weapon(and cool one at that) but to me it seems pretty complicated to use it effectively. I don't know what you can do about that but...its really cool

Owrtho
2008-10-02, 08:32 PM
Well, its powerful, but the avarage character requires 2 feats to use it (exotic weapon proficiency and monkey grip) because it's large and most characters are medium. To use all its abilities (atleast the ones that make it realy powerful) it takes 2 more feats.

feats required aside, they also are rather expensive and quite large (you'd be carying around an over 10 to 15 foot long post depending on if it has the retractable ability) that is about 50 pounds. That tends to make it kinda akward and near useless in small areas.

Those hopefuly balance out the power. As for the complexity, that seems to be inherent in how they work. I can't think of any way to change that either. Still, any suggestions are welcome.

Owrtho

Lappy9000
2008-10-02, 09:18 PM
I'd be in quite in over my head if I attempted to advise you on this mechanically, but I do have a suggestion. Using a severed blade from a killing device may not be the best form of weapon. Anyone simply carrying a lunette with the blade attatched would probably find that the wood would soon shatter, perhaps even suffer from water damage (and splinters!) due to the wood most likely not being designed for combat.

Now, a more 'civilised' guillotine weapon would have been manufactured specifically as a weapon. I imagine it would look something like this: [link (http://www.sharpchef.com/ami_bow_big.jpg)]

The mechanics are unique and the weapon looks pretty awesome overall :smallbiggrin:

Owrtho
2008-10-02, 09:30 PM
Well, I'll point out it's not the severed blade. It's half of the entire thing (ignoring the part where the person lies down). Also, it is not nesacerily made of wood. It could easily be made of metal and when made of wood the enchantment that it automaticly has covers such things as water damage, splinters, etc. Also, these are designed for combat. They are just based heavily on the exicution device. They are usualy custom made. Also, once I get the weapon stats done, I plan on making a class based upon the use of this weapon.

Owrtho

Owrtho
2008-11-05, 09:37 PM
Well, I just remembered this due to a few of the recent topics, and thought I'd bump it to see if I could get more feedback. As it is I'm not sure if it is able to be used yet (atleast balance wise) and I am planning to make a class that focuses on using this weapon.

Owrtho

AugustNights
2008-11-05, 11:36 PM
I have this sucker and something strong backing it up against my Epic Gamers here pretty soon. I'll let you know what I think.

Owrtho
2008-11-05, 11:41 PM
Yay thanks. It's kinda anoying going to school where there's no one I know to playtest stuff with. That should realy help out.

Thank you,
Owrtho

Owrtho
2008-11-10, 01:47 AM
Not that it matters much, but I made a somewhat better picture of it (still sucks though).

Owrtho

imp_fireball
2009-12-30, 08:50 PM
Well, I'll point out it's not the severed blade. It's half of the entire thing (ignoring the part where the person lies down). Also, it is not nesacerily made of wood. It could easily be made of metal and when made of wood the enchantment that it automaticly has covers such things as water damage, splinters, etc. Also, these are designed for combat. They are just based heavily on the exicution device. They are usualy custom made. Also, once I get the weapon stats done, I plan on making a class based upon the use of this weapon.

Owrtho

Not to mention it's exotic, so even if it looks REALLY hard to wield, it's plausible and thus works. That's what exotic proficiency does for yah. :smallwink:

Well, I just remembered this due to a few of the recent topics, and thought I'd bump it to see if I could get more feedback. As it is I'm not sure if it is able to be used yet (atleast balance wise) and I am planning to make a class that focuses on using this weapon.

Owrtho

Why not use my executioner PRC? /shameless ad :P

Milskidasith
2009-12-30, 09:27 PM
Your reach is strange... Reach is based off the normal reach of the creature, not a set amount. A colossal guillotine having 15 ft reach is just silly, and a large reach weapon actually has 20 ft reach, IIRC. Reach weapons are twice the natural reach of the creature.

Anyway, it's not worth a feat to be proficient, because it's a bad weapon (1d12 with a natural +1 enhancement, meaning it's always a +1 behind other weapons).

Even your special property sucks, because you only get one attack per round (since the attack is a full attack) and you need to use a feat to dual wield guillotines. Being vorpal might make up for that, but... it seems weak for two feats.

Roland St. Jude
2009-12-30, 11:23 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread Necromancy is not permitted here.